Mrazek traded to the Flyers

FD19372

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ruxpin said:

Oh, damn, you mean 16th. From Constitution Center that's like 12 blocks. On crutches? Props, sir. Props. 

It's amazing what strong coffee, adrenaline and will to be at something EPIC will do for ya. Oh yeah, and being a little drunk on the way home (though I didn't have to walk it back..got a ride) Thanks, rux! Philly, Philly!!!

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Me too.

And at this point right now there is change and it may only be a sliver of hope he can play very well at least we have that right now for giving up so little.

In a week and half we all could be pissed beyond words.

But for right.

Just right now let's rejoice because it wasn't costly and and he is now the youngest goalie on the roster his fellow goalies are 30 and 32.

Joy joy.

:cheers:

I'm just as happy we didn't really give up much of anything to get a guy who is not bad at all.

I am trying to figure out what this means for our "goalies of the future" like Hart or Sandstrom or even Lyon? More seasoning in the A?  Trade?  I agree with HF and Occam that Neuvy is probably a goner past this season..or sooner, though I wonder who'd want him. This is a tryout for Mrazek; he could be gone if play isn't worth it.  Meanwhile, I guess we see more of Lyon at some point as well.  This is interesting.  And it challenges the D to be more responsible.  

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So Neuvy is to be out a few weeks.

Damn so Ron could've had him last week for just a 3rd.

Damn.

Thanks Neuvy!

Elliott: "Gonna be out several weeks Neuvy so here is your chance."

Neuvirth: "Hold my Beer"

1 minute ago, Pucked in the head said:

What do you do with all those goalies? (Next season) especially if mrazek works out?

Just pure speculation...say Mrasek plays wells and leads them to the 2nd round...

...they could qualify Mrasek say for 4.5 mill turn around sign Stolie to a new deal to back him up and trade Elliott and Neuvy for whatever they can fetch.

All this is for example.

Or he could bomb they trade his right or even not qualify him and they start next year with Elliott and Neuvy.

He has been little better than hot garbage for most of the past two years being outplayed at every turn by Jimmy Freaking Howard not by a little but by a lot. From everything I read the two fo them genuinely didn't like each other which oftentimes happens with a young goalie attempting to push an older one out so it is possible that he will get it together with a change of scenery. He has been rock solid in two postseason series against Tampa however.

And last thought on the deal, Mrazek has been stuck trying to play net with one of the worst defenses in the game (hard truth froma wings fan) in front of him. Green known for his offense and a defensive liability, Kronwall on one leg and literally a bunch of deficient guys who would make McDud look like the savior (okay maybe not quite that bad, lol) so his numbers are likely to go up a bit by playing in front of a defensively responsible club. I just read the conditions of the pick, depending on total starts and how far the Flyers go in the playoffs the pick could be a third or even a second, no worse than a fourth. Both teams got what they wanted, the Wings cut ties and added more picks the Flyers got a 26 year old goalie who should be hungry for a change. 

My prediction is Mrazek will have results similar to the other goalies we've had of late: Mason, Neuvirth, Elliott. I don't really see him as being any better than those three, so I think it's safe to assume a similar level of play. I highly doubt he's suddenly going to morph into a top goaltending option.

It would be nice for him to prove me wrong of course!

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Both teams got what they wanted, the Wings cut ties and added more picks the Flyers got a 26 year old goalie who should be hungry for a change. 

Yes thanks for the feedback. At worst with the injuries if he bobs all they lose is a 4th.

No prospect or roster players lost in this gamble i am good with it.

Had it been Homer you would have got a 2nd rounder thrown in there for good measure....just for picking up the phone.

I call that a WIN!

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I am trying to figure out what this means for our "goalies of the future" like Hart or Sandstrom or even Lyon? More seasoning in the A?  Trade?  I agree with HF and Occam that Neuvy is probably a goner past this season..or sooner, though I wonder who'd want him. This is a tryout for Mrazek; he could be gone if play isn't worth it.  Meanwhile, I guess we see more of Lyon at some point as well.  This is interesting.  And it challenges the D to be more responsible.  

If Mrazek works out - which I hope he does - it means our young goaltenders get the time they need to develop. No rushing them.

Hart will need a few seasons in the AHL and so will Sandstrom. They will probably get a few games with the big club here and there, but I would not expect either one to become an impact goaltender for the Flyers until 2020-2021.

Mrazek / Elliott or Mrazek / Stolarz could be next year's tandem, with Lyon / Hart in the AHL, and Sandstrom in Sweden.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

My prediction is Mrazek will have results similar to the other goalies we've had of late: Mason, Neuvirth, Elliott. I don't really see him as being any better than those three, so I think it's safe to assume a similar level of play. I highly doubt he's suddenly going to morph into a top goaltending option.

It would be nice for him to prove me wrong of course!

I think that's accurate. Really just someone to play out this year to give the team a chance to compete. I don't think there's a possibility they'll resign him. They have to do $4 million just to qualify him and given recent history and other personnel salary needs upcoming, I just don't see Hextall dedicating that kind of salary to that position. 

Change of scenery always brings promise. Hope springs eternal. 

Hexy had to do something and the fact  he didn't get bent over and told to squeel like a pig is what constitutes a victory in Flyer land when it comes to goalies.

But...

Watch him pitch 5 straight shutouts and then come down with vertigo.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Mrazek / Elliott or Mrazek / Stolarz could be next year's tandem, with Lyon / Hart in the AHL, and Sandstrom in Sweden.

With Stolarz missing nearly an entire year I don't see him being in the NHL next season unless due to injury of either Elliot or Mrazek.  

Archived