What'is the plan now in Net?

hf101

I'm guessing Jared Coreau will back up Howard in net for the remainder of the season but is he a #1 guy in Detroit's future?  Or is there someone else in the pipeline that will now get a chance to move forward now that Mrazek is gone?

• hf101 changed the title to What'is the plan now in Net?
9 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'm guessing Jared Coreau will back up Howard in net for the remainder of the season, but is he a #1 guy in Detroit's future?  Or is there someone else in the pipeline that will now get a chance to move forward now that Mzarek is gone?

Coreau has earned the shot as a backup, huge goalie,not a top tier prospect but he can play a bit.

As for in the pipeline, we have a couple of middling prospects in Joren Van Pottelberghe and Keith Petruzzelli who have been drafted the past two years, Petruzzelli I believe was the 4th goalie off the board a year ago and is considered a bit of a prospect, big athletic type while JVP is still in Europe and looks good playing in Switzerland but it is Switzerland. Botha re raw and years away.

So I guess it is safe to say that Howie is the guy, Coreau is the backup for this year and probably next, Petruzzelli will be a Griffin next year to see if he can play. Beyond next year is anyones guess.

On 2/20/2018 at 7:51 AM, yave1964 said:

So I guess it is safe to say that Howie is the guy

Well from the looks of it you guys will be getting more than a 4th from the Flyers man it has been only one game but it looks like i was wrong about Mrazek....sure it's early but i underestimated his quickness....now with that said please don't let this coach turn to a pumpkin and time soon.

It is not lost on me that he is playing for a contract....but from the looks of it he has put Elliott where he belongs as a backup once he returns (he will be 33 in April and is a good soldier and can extend his career in this capacity) however Neuvy will be playing somewhere either come the draft or the offseason.

Sometimes folks need a change of scenery.

@OccamsRazor

One game. 

I was in love with the guy but for two years he has been awful twice, okay once, solid once, rinse and repeat. He is small, he relies on quickness, when he brings it he is capable of beating anyone.

I watched last nights Flyers/Jackets game and really CBJ never really challenged him much, I think what, 20 shots got through and of those most were straight on. Columbus is having a difficult time offensively this year, wait until he faces some real competition.

That said, as a Wings fan, I would love for him to get 5 wins (3rd round) and 6 playoff wins (make it a 2nd rounder) and to put the cherry on top have him resign for another third rounder. Right about now I am as big a Mrazek fan as there is out there. In fact, I want Howard to lose so we get the first pick in the draft and Mrazek to win so we get your second, lol.

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@OccamsRazor

One game. 

I was in love with the guy but for two years he has been awful twice, okay once, solid once, rinse and repeat. He is small, he relies on quickness, when he brings it he is capable of beating anyone.

I watched last nights Flyers/Jackets game and really CBJ never really challenged him much, I think what, 20 shots got through and of those most were straight on. Columbus is having a difficult time offensively this year, wait until he faces some real competition.

That said, as a Wings fan, I would love for him to get 5 wins (3rd round) and 6 playoff wins (make it a 2nd rounder) and to put the cherry on top have him resign for another third rounder. Right about now I am as big a Mrazek fan as there is out there. In fact, I want Howard to lose so we get the first pick in the draft and Mrazek to win so we get your second, lol.

We'll see as of now it looks like a win.

And yes only one game. A win also!

He is a bridge to Carter Hart nothing more.

39 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@OccamsRazor

One game. 

Let it be said i could be retracting my statement after next game.

Till then i will rejoice!

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let it be said i could be retracting my statement after next game.

Till then i will rejoice!

I watch more AHL hockey than most, the Griffins are a fun bunch year in and year out, in 2013 as a kid Mrazek led the baby Wings to a Calder cup and wheni say he led them, I mean that he LED them. He was brash, he was cocky, as a non fan of Howard I thought, here we go, finally a goalie ready to step in.

He was great for a short time but fell off. From everything I read he is a bit of a pain in the butt as far as ice time, he was p/o'd that Howard was still there, the two of them don't share Christmas with the family together and sing cumbaya, both felt they should be the number one and didn't want to do a time share.It is extremely possible that a change of scenery and a chance to have the net allto himself will do wonders, keep in mind that he was exposed to the Knights in the expansion draft and not taken for a reason, the Isles and Oilers said thanks but no thanks about him, but that is probably more of his attitude than ability.

I always liked him and wish him the best. I hope he does very well for your boys but already I am interested to see how it plays out with Elliott when he returns in a month. If I had to predict, I say Mrazek has a nice run while Elliott is out and the moment the two fo themstart sharing a crease his numbers drop and the pouting begins. But he could be the difference in making the postseason so it is a solid add.

Archived