Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

DevinWieser

Seattle Expansion: Ticket Drive and more

Recommended Posts

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

Seattle will begin a season ticket drive in its effort to become an NHL expansion team.

 

"Starting on March 1 at 10 a.m., you will be able to make your deposit for season tickets," Mayor Jenny Durkan wrote on Twitter on Tuesday.

The ownership group applied to the NHL for an expansion team on Feb. 13.

 

"The timetable in terms of filing an expansion application, doing a season ticket drive, is largely up to them," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said Jan. 27. "We can respond to the extent that we're getting the information on a timely basis, whatever that timetable is, so we can go through the processes that we have to."

 

The group, led by Jerry Bruckheimer, a Hollywood producer, and David Bonderman, a private equity CEO, was authorized Dec. 7 to file an application for expansion by the NHL Board of Governors. It paid a $10 million application fee, Sportsnet reported.

 

"OVG has submitted to the NHL the formal application papers required to pursue an expansion franchise for Seattle," group CEO Tim Leiweke said in a statement this month, according to USA Today. "We are excited for the next steps in the process and our continued partnership with the City of Seattle."

 

The cost of the team would be $650 million, and Commissioner Bettman said during 2018 Honda NHL All-Star Weekend last month that the NHL is looking at only Seattle for possible expansion. The earliest the team could begin playing is the 2020-21 NHL season, when it is expected renovations of KeyArena would be complete.

 

Las Vegas started its season ticket drive Feb. 10, 2015. It was awarded an NHL team June 22, 2016 at a cost of $500 million, and the Vegas Golden Knights are playing their inaugural season.

Seattle Kraken would be a great name for an NHL team in Seattle.

Edited by Devin Wieser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are fairly optimistic that Seattle will get an NHL team.

 

I just subscribed to watch games and watched the Golden Knights v. Flames.

 

My knowledge of hockey is low (for now) as I've followed the "other 3 sports" all my life but Hockey is a breath a fresh energetic air and I'm enjoying it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe i'm alone but the NHL should really consider relocation before expansion gets pick one a team out of Arizona or Florida first.

 

Seems they are more content on getting to 32 teams first then fixing this crap.

 

Not sure which should come first but the team from Arizona and Florida need to be moved and giving to areas that will support them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe i'm alone but the NHL should really consider relocation before expansion gets pick one a team out of Arizona or Florida first.

 

Seems they are more content on getting to 32 teams first then fixing this crap.

 

Not sure which should come first but the team from Arizona and Florida need to be moved and giving to areas that will support them.

Couldn’t agree more. How about relocating one of those to Quebec City and the other to Seattle. I blame it all on Bettman for not doing it earlier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe i'm alone but the NHL should really consider relocation before expansion gets pick one a team out of Arizona or Florida first.

 

Seems they are more content on getting to 32 teams first then fixing this crap.

 

Not sure which should come first but the team from Arizona and Florida need to be moved and giving to areas that will support them.

 

How about putting competent management in Arizona and Florida? It's hard to build a fanbase when you suck year after year after year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

How about putting competent management in Arizona and Florida?

 

 

NHL can't do that.......that is on the owners. So wouldn't that (if it was the case) be the same if they relocated??

 

I would think yes unless they change owners too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

 

NHL can't do that.......that is on the owners. So wouldn't that (if it was the case) be the same if they relocated??

 

I would think yes unless they change owners too.

 

That's fair. I guess I'm just not as against teams in Arizona and Florida. If the goal is to expand the game, putting more teams in traditional hockey markets isn't going to bring in new fans. It might fill the building more and stop people in traditional hockey markets from whining about other teams attendance, but you're not creating new fans. 

 

And I'm not necessarily against the league focusing more on the fans it does have rather than expanding to new markets. I just don't think it's going to happen, especially not while the league's revenue continues to grow. Plus if you consider how much money they've poured into Arizona, they aren't going to move out unless there is absolutely no other option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good pair of posts, @MadDevil

 

Look at Vegas.

Everyone, including myself, thought it was an awful idea..... but with proper planning, good management and hungry players, they are showing what an expansion club is capable of.

 

And I too am NOT a fan of an area losing a team.

Winning helps. It helps A LOT, regardless of whether a team is in a traditional market or not.

Just look at Detroit right now. 

Traditional market, longtime contender...not winning so much these days, looking like they are in for quite a dry spell.... LOTS of empty seats in their new arena.

 

There IS something to location as well.

The Panthers' home arena should probably be closer to the Miami area than where it is now.

Not sure about the Coyotes situation in that regard, as I am not familiar with the Phoenix area.

But if the Panthers didn't have their fans trek out to Sunrise AND the team was more competitive, I bet they'd have more fans go to games.

 

The Lightning are in the same southern non traditional US State. They draw.

Difference?

Bolts have iced a contender for a few years now, continue to do so, they market the team well, it is well run, and their arena is in downtown Tampa, easy to get to, surrounded with lots of other things people can do before and after games.

 

So with any luck, the NHL does their due diligence with Seattle and plan it as well as they planned the Vegas inaugural season.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 12:32 AM, NHLSeattle said:

People are fairly optimistic that Seattle will get an NHL team.

 

I just subscribed to watch games and watched the Golden Knights v. Flames.

 

My knowledge of hockey is low (for now) as I've followed the "other 3 sports" all my life but Hockey is a breath a fresh energetic air and I'm enjoying it. 

I have been following hockey since 2015.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:10 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe i'm alone but the NHL should really consider relocation before expansion gets pick one a team out of Arizona or Florida first.

 

Seems they are more content on getting to 32 teams first then fixing this crap.

 

Not sure which should come first but the team from Arizona and Florida need to be moved and giving to areas that will support them.

That is up to the owners of the teams.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Good pair of posts, @MadDevil

 

Look at Vegas.

Everyone, including myself, thought it was an awful idea..... but with proper planning, good management and hungry players, they are showing what an expansion club is capable of.

 

And I too am NOT a fan of an area losing a team.

Winning helps. It helps A LOT, regardless of whether a team is in a traditional market or not.

Just look at Detroit right now. 

Traditional market, longtime contender...not winning so much these days, looking like they are in for quite a dry spell.... LOTS of empty seats in their new arena.

 

There IS something to location as well.

The Panthers' home arena should probably be closer to the Miami area than where it is now.

Not sure about the Coyotes situation in that regard, as I am not familiar with the Phoenix area.

But if the Panthers didn't have their fans trek out to Sunrise AND the team was more competitive, I bet they'd have more fans go to games.

 

The Lightning are in the same southern non traditional US State. They draw.

Difference?

Bolts have iced a contender for a few years now, continue to do so, they market the team well, it is well run, and their arena is in downtown Tampa, easy to get to, surrounded with lots of other things people can do before and after games.

 

So with any luck, the NHL does their due diligence with Seattle and plan it as well as they planned the Vegas inaugural season.

I am also not a fan of an area losing a team.

Edited by Devin Wieser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Seattle season ticket drive blew away expectations. The reached the If goal in 12 minutes (10,000 season tix deposits) and reached 25,000 in an hour. Heard it was 33,000 before they ended it.

 

As a lifelong Seattleite, I’ve been waiting for an NHL team for 20+ years. I cannot wait, it’s going to be awesome for us here in the PNW.

 

:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ce3de92e-98cc-4943-b35d-b633fac5124c-lar

 

A drawing of the proposed arena.  Lime green and purple,  hmm interesting?  

 

The NHL Board of Governors will meet June 20 in Las Vegas and could be given conditional approval to bring a professional hockey franchise to Seattle.

 

Quote

 

In December, the Seattle City Council approved a memorandum of understandingwith Los Angeles-based Oak View Group to privately finance a roughly $600 million remodel that would nearly double the square footage of KeyArena.

 

In the draft EIS, the Oak View Group detailed plans of construction to begin at KeyArena starting October 2018.

The two-year project proposal includes 18-hour work days during the initial period of construction. OVG has been adamant that it hope to have a puck drop in Seattle by the 2020 NHL season.

 

Tod Leiweke, brother of OVG CEO Tim Leiweke, was named CEO and president of the prospective NHL franchise in April. Bonderman said he expects to hear official approval from the NHL in September.

 

Before construction can begin to renovate KeyArena, the City must sign off on the lease agreement with OVG. In addition, the final Environmental Impact Statement must be published before permitting can begin.

 

2

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hf101 said:

OVG has been adamant that it hope to have a puck drop in Seattle by the 2020 NHL season.

 

Boy, it's really hard to know how to plan with kids to avoid losing them to an expansion draft if there's any wiggle on when they draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

 

Boy, it's really hard to know how to plan with kids to avoid losing them to an expansion draft if there's any wiggle on when they draft.

 

Yeah, I believe anyone on an entry level contract was exempt with the Vegas draft.  Just hope Hextall is smart with letting them take only 1 player rather than giving them 2 as what several GMs did with Vegas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 6:10 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe i'm alone but the NHL should really consider relocation before expansion gets pick one a team out of Arizona or Florida first.

 

Seems they are more content on getting to 32 teams first then fixing this crap.

 

Not sure which should come first but the team from Arizona and Florida need to be moved and giving to areas that will support them.

 

Relocation doesn't get the rest of the league's teams millions of dollars in an expansion fee.  Owners want that fee; to heck with the consequences.  Florida or Carolina should relocate to Quebec.  As far as Arizona is concerned?  Have them relocate to Houston...then they'll be in the Central time zone and perhaps that's the long-term plan anyways.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 9:25 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

 

Relocation doesn't get the rest of the league's teams millions of dollars in an expansion fee.  Owners want that fee; to heck with the consequences.  Florida or Carolina should relocate to Quebec.  As far as Arizona is concerned?  Have them relocate to Houston...then they'll be in the Central time zone and perhaps that's the long-term plan anyways.  

 

Yes, Florida or Carolina should be relocated but they won't. Bettman made it very clear: no more relocation. The NHL want stability and moving franchises add uncertainty which is not good for the business and its image.

 

About Arizona, I think they are planning to move back in downtown Phoenix: Going to play in Glendale in the middle of nowhere was hell of a huge mistake which led to this pathetic circus around ownership and bankruptcy filing. The Sens are also going to move in the center of Ottawa (the project for a new arena with other commercial and residential buildings was accepted) as they also have issues with attendance by playing in Kanata.

 

The only remaining question mark is Calgary. They have now the oldest building in the league and recently the city refused a bid to build a new arena. Alberta already got a brand new one for the Oilers. Let's see what will happen with this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

 

The only remaining question mark is Calgary. They have now the oldest building in the league and recently the city refused a bid to build a new arena. Alberta already got a brand new one for the Oilers. Let's see what will happen with this...

 

Discussions have apparently reopened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is looking like the Seatle Expansion will wait conveniently until after the next lockout before its inaugural season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I also saw this potential logo.  I actually like it.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

I like the name and the logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, Villette/Lavaux said:

 

The only remaining question mark is Calgary. They have now the oldest building in the league and recently the city refused a bid to build a new arena. Alberta already got a brand new one for the Oilers. Let's see what will happen with this...

It amazes me that we're really only talking about a 35 year old building. For the cost, they really need to be made to last longer than that. 

Edited by ruxpin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It amazes me that we're really only talking about a 35 year old building. For the cost, they really need to be made to last longer than that. 

 

Sorry. Nope.
No can do.

Any facility older than the lifespan of a gorilla must REALLY be torn down while taxpayers are once again buggered to pay for a new one.
:shifty:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it sounds like the taxpayers have spoken and maybe they don't care about the team.

 

So move them somewhere that does.

 

They have been moved once already use to be the Atlanta Flames.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hf101 said:

I also saw this potential logo.  I actually like it.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

Is it flipping us off?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 3
      Post
      Maybe i'm alone but the NHL should really consider relocation before expansion gets pick one a team out of Arizona or Florida first.   Seems they are more content on getting to 32 teams first then fixing this crap.   Not sure which should come first but the team from Arizona and Florida need to be moved and giving to areas that will support them.
    • 2
      Post
      How about putting competent management in Arizona and Florida? It's hard to build a fanbase when you suck year after year after year.
    • 2
      Post
      I also saw this potential logo.  I actually like it.  
    • 1
      Post
      Couldn’t agree more. How about relocating one of those to Quebec City and the other to Seattle. I blame it all on Bettman for not doing it earlier.
    • 1
      Post
      That's fair. I guess I'm just not as against teams in Arizona and Florida. If the goal is to expand the game, putting more teams in traditional hockey markets isn't going to bring in new fans. It might fill the building more and stop people in traditional hockey markets from whining about other teams attendance, but you're not creating new fans.    And I'm not necessarily against the league focusing more on the fans it does have rather than expanding to new markets. I just don't think
    • 1
      Post
      The Seattle season ticket drive blew away expectations. The reached the If goal in 12 minutes (10,000 season tix deposits) and reached 25,000 in an hour. Heard it was 33,000 before they ended it.   As a lifelong Seattleite, I’ve been waiting for an NHL team for 20+ years. I cannot wait, it’s going to be awesome for us here in the PNW.  
×
×
  • Create New...