Meanwhile in Buffalo...

flyercanuck

Off the Crossbar: Sabres Players Praying They Get Traded https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-want-trades-satire/  #THW #SabresNHL_2017_2018_Buff_Sabres.png #HockeyHumor #NHL

DWljPJvVwAAMDZy.jpg
0 replies2 retweets3 likes

Retweet

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2018 at 6:16 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Word is Botterill wants the hell out of there............... :ph34r:

And just where do you get that info?  I say its BS.  If he was smart he would fire Housely.  If you just look at what Vegas has done it shows you how things change very quickly in hockey compared to other sports.  The NBA also due to only having to replace a few major positions.  Football and baseball are the toughest to rebuild in.  The Sabres will bounce back.  Always do. This is the worst stretch since the beginning.  It wont last.  They have another 1 coming on June 22 and their younger players have gained experience. To me the biggest problem is finding a quality goalie.   This is the one problem Buffalo has rarely had in their history.

• 5 weeks later...

O'Reilly developed a rep as unlikable in Colorado by management and whispers at the time that he wasn't much cared for by his teammates.

Kane, gone from Buffalo now had the same rep in Winnipeg.

Eichel is quickly developing a rep as a bit of a jerk.

I feel confident there are others. Hockey players as a rule are the most likeable of any of the big four sports athletes but there are exceptions,  Buffalo just seems to collect them. It is possible, even likely that the organization says give me talent even if the guy is an ass and we willmake it work. Nothing wrong with that if it does, the A's and Yankees in the seventies come to mind as two organizations that didn't sit around holding hands eating smores after games, but when it doesn't work you have bad teams full of unlikeable players, the Federov/Foote Bluejacket days come to mind. Foote was a jerk in nearly every press conference that I saw him in, Federov would speak perfect English to a reporter who he liked then pretend he didn't understand the language to one who had written something he didn't care for. That reminds me of Buffalo right now. Kane moving out, as enormously talented as he is, may be a step in the right direction and I am curious to see who they ship over the summer....

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Pffft…. Bergland didn't need any 'message sending'... he is the second coming of Luc Robitaille, remember?? :ph34r:

Tell that to Houseley.  The Kings sure know how to right the ship.  I cant believe what a wreck they are.  Maybe they are the new Blackhawks from a year ago?  But the Sabres to their credit shut down the lanes very well today.  And  liked the pairings far better.  Its about time that coach of ours put  Skinner and Eichel together on a regular basis.  He has Pommer on the wing.  Pommenville has the most experience on this team.  3 Eastern conference finals with Ruff and Miller.  He can teach these kids plenty

On 10/21/2018 at 3:02 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

He has Pommer on the wing.  Pommenville has the most experience on this team.  3 Eastern conference finals with Ruff and Miller.  He can teach these kids plenty

No offense but the Wild showed him the door, he contributed very little although given lots of PP time. He had one good season with us and soon after that he became a whipping boy. A nice guy though.

You have plenty of young, skilled forwards. I'd keep them away from Pominville when matters of scoring are being discussed.

28 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

No offense but the Wild showed him the door, he contributed very little although given lots of PP time. He had one good season with us and soon after that he became a whipping boy. A nice guy though.

You have plenty of young, skilled forwards. I'd keep them away from Pominville when matters of scoring are being discussed.

Pommenville used to be a very good scorer.  But he is a very good penalty killer.  He is no spring chicken now.  So his ice time is limited

10 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Pommenville used to be a very good scorer.  But he is a very good penalty killer.  He is no spring chicken now.  So his ice time is limited

Yeah, he transformed into a penalty killer with us too. But it sucked to pay $5.6 mil a year for penalty killing and occasional goals.

Limited ice time sounds promising for the Sabres.

19 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Yeah, he transformed into a penalty killer with us too. But it sucked to pay $5.6 mil a year for penalty killing and occasional goals.

Limited ice time sounds promising for the Sabres.

Two goals tonight and a big role in our third straight win!

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Two goals tonight and a big role in our third straight win!

It's Jason's contract year! He did the same with us back in 2013-2014, scoring 30 goals, 60 points. Our GM threw at him a 5 year $28 mil. deal with a NMC with essentially was kiss goodbye to his scoring but a nice start to going shy to the corners and shooting repeatedly wide of the mark.

7 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

It's Jason's contract year! He did the same with us back in 2013-2014, scoring 30 goals, 60 points. Our GM threw at him a 5 year $28 mil. deal with a NMC with essentially was kiss goodbye to his scoring but a nice start to going shy to the corners and shooting repeatedly wide of the mark.

We are not really looking at hime to score but we will take it.  Back in 06 and such when we had a great team with Miller, Drury, Briere, Pommenville and Roy he was a top scorer.  At his age penalty killing would be my top goal for him but Housley seems to have other ideas.  I would not have him with Eichel and Skinner, no way.  I would use Reinhart or Bergland with them.

The Sabres are right where they wanted to be at this point of the season.  Housley has finally made some smart moves and has them playing like a team that can contend for a playoff spot. With the collapse of the Red Wings and the lack of talent on several teams like the Rangers, Islanders and such, why the hell not?

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2018 at 6:16 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Word is Botterill wants the hell out of there............... :ph34r:

And where did you get this nonsense from?  We are sitting on top of the NHL and you come on here and say our GM wants out?  What a bunch of crap.  I do not see a link next to the smoke you are blowing

Someone on the NHL channel believes Botterill could make a move or two to try and make the Sabres closer this year?  Not sure what he would do?  Pick up a rental if and when they get to the playoffs?  We are still very young and guys like Middlestadt sure look it.  Just a kid.  When you look at a guy like Eckblad, I don't know if its the beard but it makes him look older though I know he is young too. Lawrence Pilut played in his first NHL game last night for the Sabres, up from Rochester. It was a tough night for Dahlin.  But today he was named rookie of the month.  I guess a 10 game streak will get you those type of awards.  And put us very high in the rankings.  Now we must forget it and move on.  They fought a good fight in Tampa and could have won that game in Florida if not for a couple of stupid mistakes.  At least a point was earned.  On to Nashville.  And then the Leafs the following night.  I would save Hutton for the Leafs game, as I fear their offense much more than Nashville's

On 12/1/2018 at 7:51 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Someone on the NHL channel believes Botterill could make a move or two to try and make the Sabres closer this year?  Not sure what he would do?  Pick up a rental if and when they get to the playoffs?  

We are still very young and guys like Middlestadt sure look it.  Just a kid.  When you look at a guy like Eckblad, I don't know if its the beard but it makes him look older though I know he is young too. Lawrence Pilut played in his first NHL game last night for the Sabres, up from Rochester. It was a tough night for Dahlin.  But today he was named rookie of the month.  

I guess a 10 game streak will get you those type of awards.  And put us very high in the rankings.  Now we must forget it and move on.  They fought a good fight in Tampa and could have won that game in Florida if not for a couple of stupid mistakes.  At least a point was earned.  

On to Nashville.  And then the Leafs the following night.  I would save Hutton for the Leafs game, as I fear their offense much more than Nashville's

Fixed it for you!

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

In light of the third period meltdown vs Philly I would expect the Sabres to come out on all cylinders vs LA on Tuesday and that little shcit Peterson is going to eat some damn rubber.  

Let's hope so or that will be a 6 game losing streak.....hell of a loooong thied period melt down...

Archived