Will Erik Karlsson be traded at the deadline?

yave1964

Man I first heard this and thought: nonsense, no way no how. But it appears that it is growing legs that there is a very real possibility that Ottawa may deal Erik Karlsson at the trade deadline. 

Usually these things get mentioned around this time of the year and they are nothing, just a way to make the deadline more exciting, Stamkos was rumored going places a bit last year, Tavares pops up a bit this year in conversation and so on but usually superstars don't get dealt as a deadline type of player especially when they still have time on their deal as Karlsson does as he cannot be an UFA until after the 2018-19 season but Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean seem to think it is a very real possibility. Darren Millard  even seems to believe it is a better than 50/50 chance that he is dealt.

The Image result for erik karlsson tampa bay lightning jerseylogic is this: instead of a one year rental a team that deals for him has him for this season and next at the least, a Cup contender can add one of the best if not the best al around defenseman in the game today and Ottawa cancommand more of a package now instead of waiting until near the deadline next season. Apparently it is a foregone conclusion that Karlsson has zero intention of resigning with the Senators after his current deal is done and over. This gives Ottawa maximum return for a player who does not want to suffer through a long rebuild and will be leaving anyway.

One of the biggest things mentioned is by trading him now they can possibly force a team to take a bad contract, specifically that of Bobby Ryan who has 3 years at 7.5 million a year remaining for limited production. They could then lock up Hoffman, Stone, Brassard, Duchene ect... as a core group and build around them.  As for who might be willing and able to take Karlsson and Ryan.........

The biggest one floating around is the Tampa Bay Lightning who have the assets available to make it happen. According to Kypreos the Senators would want Brayden Point who is quickly developing into one of the games most unheralded stars, nearly a point a game as a second line center and Mikhail Sergechov the brilliant young defenseman acquired this past offseason from Montreal who is doing fine in his first real NHL action along with a first round pick. Hockey Central pundits seem to agree universally that either Point or Sergechev along with other pieces should be considered by Yzerman but not both, as in Tyler Johnson and Sergechev or Point and Koekoek. Any way you look at it they are supposedly well into conversation.

From what I have read and listened to Tampa is high on the list, the Blues are being mentioned and that is it that I have heard so far but it is possible that another team may sneak in and make a play.

Or it is possible that again, the damn deadline is apotential dud and they are again suckering me into gluing my rear in front of the tube for five hours on Monday which will be filled with sound and fury signifying nothing and leaving me shaking my head saying they got me again.

I don't know, this seems real I  never thought Stammer was going anywhere last year, I doubt serious that Tavares will be moved this year but Karlsson it wouldn't surprise me. 

43 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

From what I have read and listened to Tampa is high on the list, the Blues are being mentioned and that is it that I have heard so far but it is possible that another team may sneak in and make a play.

Imagine the fantasy impact if he goes to Tampa.  Karlsson / Hedman is a deadly duo on ice, but who runs the PP1?  Something will have to give and someone's fantasy value will be hurt.

The closer it gets to the deadline, the more I’m believing that Karlsson will be dealt. I really thought that there was no way that was happening. I guess the Sens are coming to reality that he won’t sign a deal with on the July 1 deadline. Whichever team gets him will be have to give up a lot.

Archived