A disgrace

BluPuk

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'm loving it. Hated the all-NHL teams. Give me teams of guys I don't see every night. Just sucks that the Russian but not Russian team is so stacked on comparison.

To each their own, but if I want to see a bunch of guys that nobody ever heard of plus a few guys way past their prime, just about any senior league in this country can provide that.

Curling was awful this year and this from a curling fan. Mixed curling was IMHO just a gimmick and needs to go away.

Hockey? Did the men play?

USA and Canada women was freakin awesome brought the intensity of the NHL playoffs. Amazing to watch.

Overall the Olympics were a dud. They seem to be slipping more and more into a niche thing and losing their luster.

Overall tho I am happy the NHL didn't go, I hate the shutting down in season to play what is an exhibition series. 

Yay...the country that used to win gold medals every Olympics cause they were the only one with professionals and was booted out of this one for cheating (yet here they are ) is playing the tenth? best hockey nation on earth for gold. I'm on the edge of my seat for this one.

Next Olympics can we see what Norways 400th best cross country skier can do against Sierra Leone? Oh please do!

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

To each their own, but if I want to see a bunch of guys that nobody ever heard of plus a few guys way past their prime, just about any senior league in this country can provide that.

I've always hated the concept of pros at the Olympics. Hated when the "Dream Team" happened. Hate how so many of the current athletes are pros in all but name. Let the best amateurs compete everywhere. I have the NHL for pro hockey. Amatuers make for the best stories.

12 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I've always hated the concept of pros at the Olympics. Hated when the "Dream Team" happened. Hate how so many of the current athletes are pros in all but name. Let the best amateurs compete everywhere. I have the NHL for pro hockey. Amatuers make for the best stories.

Ya...there's "amateur" athletes who make more money than NHL players. What designates amateur?

Shaun White had endorsements at 7 years old and was a millionaire as a teenager, and his own half pipe. Slight advantage over your average Joe amateur. He's not the only one, just one of the more famous examples.

Then you have certain countries spending ridiculous amounts of money on training over and above what others do on their athletes. Up until the Vancouver Winter games it was a joke how Canadian athletes lived below the poverty line. They started spending close to what others did in training and won the most golds that year. this year (as of today) we're 3rd in gold and 3rd in medal count. Norway sits 1st. Our combined population is about the same as Californias. Money matters. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya...there's "amateur" athletes who make more money than NHL players. What designates amateur?

Shaun White had endorsements at 7 years old and was a millionaire as a teenager, and his own half pipe. Slight advantage over your average Joe amateur. He's not the only one, just one of the more famous examples.

Then you have certain countries spending ridiculous amounts of money on training over and above what others do on their athletes. Up until the Vancouver Winter games it was a joke how Canadian athletes lived below the poverty line. They started spending close to what others did in training and won the most golds that year. this year (as of today) we're 3rd in gold and 3rd in medal count. Norway sits 1st. Our combined population is about the same as Californias. Money matters. 

That was basically what I was referring to as "Athletes that are pros in all but name."

On 2/23/2018 at 11:46 AM, AJgoal said:

This. Arguably the greatest sports moment of the 20th century (The Miracle on Ice) was because amateurs..a bunch of guys no one ever heard of...shocked the world and won the gold.

11 minutes ago, B21 said:

This. Arguably the greatest sports moment of the 20th century (The Miracle on Ice) was because amateurs..a bunch of guys no one ever heard of...shocked the world and won the gold.

That was then, this is now. There are no amateurs left at the Olympics in any sport. In the case of the men's hockey tournament, all that remains is a lower standard of play, and a bunch minor pro players and NHL-calibre Russians who prefer to play at home.

The announcers were all so 'thrilled' by the bronze medal as were the players. I thought I was going to throw up. I hate all this political correctness these days. A bronze medal is nothing more than a losers' participation medal.......

On 2/24/2018 at 2:20 PM, JR Ewing said:

That was then, this is now. There are no amateurs left at the Olympics in any sport. In the case of the men's hockey tournament, all that remains is a lower standard of play, and a bunch minor pro players and NHL-calibre Russians who prefer to play at home.

That may be true but but for literally every other athlete involved the Olympics represents the pinnacle of their sport.  At least not sending the NHL players means you have at least some of that in hockey as well.

Archived