Nash dealt to Bruins(poll)

yave1964

Did the Bruins overpay for Nash?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the Nash trade?

• Bruins odds on favorite to win the cup
    • Good move but overpaid unless the resign him
    • All that for an aging UFA winger?? Really?
    • Both teams got what they wanted

Those seem to be the early things that people are saying about the Rick Nash to Boston deal. Here is what just happened.

Rick Nash was dealt to Boston for a packageof:

This years first round pick which at best with be in the 25-26 range or possibly lower

Matt Belesky who has been buried in the minors after going pointless through December

Ryan Spooner who should fit in nicely (sarcasm) with the Rangers as he is another failed center who mostly plays wing. 9 goals in 39 games.

Prospect and former second rounder Ryan Lindgren who is unimpressive in college so far and hasn't yet turned pro, years away at best.

So the first, an okay prospect and Spooner who can play a little as a middle six asset at either wing or center and the ghost of Belesky who is a shell of his former self. The Rangers also ate a large portion of Nash's deal.

As for Nash, lets face it his best days are far behind him and he will never again be a 40 goal scorer but he is still one hell of a two way player and his scoring has heated up as of late. Playing top line minutes with Zibanejad's failed passes coming his way is a lot different that less pressure on a second line with the talented Krejci feeding the puck to him. The risk isn't that great, of the assets given only the first is an issue as far as I am concerned, Lindgren may develop but so far looks like not much, Spooner is a body and Belesky is just a contract off the books to make it work for both teams. 

My personal opinion is the Bruins who are one of the best teams in the game just added a solid middle six two way winger for little cost and I see the logic, unless they do something stupid like give him a five year deal for dumb money I think it is a good move for both.

I posted the following in the Boston forum and will copy and paste here (spoiler: this was an utterly stupid move):

I don't--and won't--understand why that expensive lump of absolutely nothing was an attraction at the deadline to anybody. 

What has he done the last couple years that would warrant interest, let alone that kind of outlay by Boston? 

It's a name, period. A used, worthless, hasbeen name that did nothing to help anything in Columbus and did nothing for New York except be along for the ride when Lundqvist tried to will them to a Cup. 

Boston is doing well. Adding a piece at the deadline is understandable and probably justified.  There were many better choices that would have greatly better helped them competitively without gutting assets. 

Horribly moronic move. Here's a bold prediction:  the Bruins will not make the finals. And this trade is why. 

26 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I posted the following in the Boston forum and will copy and paste here (spoiler: this was an utterly stupid move):

I don't--and won't--understand why that expensive lump of absolutely nothing was an attraction at the deadline to anybody. 

What has he done the last couple years that would warrant interest, let alone that kind of outlay by Boston? 

It's a name, period. A used, worthless, hasbeen name that did nothing to help anything in Columbus and did nothing for New York except be along for the ride when Lundqvist tried to will them to a Cup. 

Boston is doing well. Adding a piece at the deadline is understandable and probably justified.  There were many better choices that would have greatly better helped them competitively without gutting assets. 

Horribly moronic move. Here's a bold prediction:  the Bruins will not make the finals. And this trade is why. 

Agreed that the name is what Boston went after, the same as they did with Iginla a few years ago. I am not a fan of these types of moves.

That said, I do like Nash's ability to play in all situations, so many scorers when the shot starts to go they go too, Nash kills penalties with the best of them, still can be an opportunistic scorer, in short he can help as a middle six winger. A bit of an overpayment but an improvement over Spooner...

I went along with the pack and voted "All that (and a bag of chips) for an aging UFA winger. Yes. Reeeallly." :ahappy:

I honestly think Boston did an overpay, but not so much in salary (as the Rangers are retaining some), but in picks and personnel.

I think Boston's 1st rounder and Ryan Spooner by themselves would have been enough.

Throw in Matt Beleskey and this college prospect (both admittedly not impressive), and I think New York ended up with a bit more than they could have possibly expected given Nash's salary, UFA status, age and overall production at this point in his career.

I also realize that all three players the Rangers got could turn into big fat nothings for them (leaving them with the 1st rounder as their only true prize here), but unlike some others, I think Ryan Spooner COULD benefit from a change of scenery away from the defensive minded Boston Bruins.

In games I've watched him play in, Spooner seems a more 'loose type' forward who is at his best when the play is pushed. He CAN be a defensive liability (thus why Boston tired of him), but with the Rangers, he may be allowed more freedom....and they will just live with his defensive lapses.

Beleskey never was, and never will be a big time producer.

If he can just be a solid bottom six soldier for NY it will be enough for them.

He was a "lesser grinder" on a Boston team with much BETTER grinders already, and thus had to stay in Providence as he had no real place on the Bruins.

With the Rangers, he will get another chance to secure a bottom six spot as there will be many young bodies manning NHL spots with the team soon enough.

I don't know anything about this college prospect, so can't say anything there....cept he is another body, maybe he becomes a bit of something later on for NY, maybe not.

Bottom line, big overpay for Boston.

They may have the last laugh if they at the very least make the Eastern Conference Finals, but is Rick Nash really the guy to help them make it there....and maybe win the East and go on to a Finals?

Still seems like a long shot too me.

5 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Agreed that the name is what Boston went after, the same as they did with Iginla a few years ago. I am not a fan of these types of moves.

That said, I do like Nash's ability to play in all situations, so many scorers when the shot starts to go they go too, Nash kills penalties with the best of them, still can be an opportunistic scorer, in short he can help as a middle six winger. A bit of an overpayment but an improvement over Spooner...

So you were able to discern that I don't like the trade?  I'm relieved, because I was afraid I was too ambiguous.  

I don't agree that he's an upgrade over a half-melted snowman.  I really think he owes the Rangers a refund or should face charges of larceny.  And certainly not a first round pick, other picks, and players. 

I just think this is a Holmgrenesque move for a used to be name. 

I don't think they helped themselves. I think they damaged their team.

Never really was a big fan of Nash. Not that he isn't a solid player, but he it seemed there was always these great expectations offensely, and in contracts, that were left wanting in the end.  I'm not sure the B's will resign him, he's going to be looking for his last contract at 33, and I don't think the B's will go for something big for several years as he is used to. 

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Bottom line, big overpay for Boston.

They may have the last laugh if they at the very least make the Eastern Conference Finals, but is Rick Nash really the guy to help them make it there....and maybe win the East and go on to a Finals?

Still seems like a long shot too me.

Just quoting the summation rather than the whole thing, but wanted to say terrific post. 

The crux of it to me is that they gave up a lot for someone who has no history of helping anyone and is beyond the point of his career where he actually has the ability to. 

Want to spend those assets on a chance for a Cup? Great,  I get it. I just think those assets might have better been used on something actually helpful. 

Flyers are apparently talking Kane, so looks like they're about to do similar. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Just quoting the summation rather than the whole thing, but wanted to say terrific post. 

The crux of it to me is that they gave up a lot for someone who has no history of helping anyone and is beyond the point of his career where he actually has the ability to. 

Want to spend those assets on a chance for a Cup? Great,  I get it. I just think those assets might have better been used on something actually helpful. 

Flyers are apparently talking Kane, so looks like they're about to do similar. 

First, thank you.

Second.... on the bolded.....good LAAAAWWD, if that happens (and I assume you are talking Evander, not Patrick, lol), I can see it now.

Wayne Simmonds, injured and all, drops a rope from the press box to the bench area to smack Evander for doing something stupid..... :bigteeth:

Maybe I'll take a different take on this thread and that is Kudos to the Rangers for getting more than anyone could have envisioned for this trade.  I saw on Cap Friendly how the Rangers can really restock their prospect pool this season with the extra picks in the first, 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Draft Round

1   :rangers:  :bruins:

2   :rangers:  :devils:

3   :rangers:  :bruins:

4   :rangers:

5   :rangers:

6   :rangers:

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

Maybe I'll take a different take on this thread and that is Kudos to the Rangers for getting more than anyone could have envisioned for this trade.  I saw on Cap Friendly how the Rangers can really restock their prospect pool this season with the extra picks in the first, 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Draft Round

That's a nice draft board for the Rangers, TBH.

Now all they have to do is NOT screw it up on draft day!  :)

And they COULD add more draft picks if they continue to sell off players.

14 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Draft Round

That's a terrific point and well drawn out for optics purposes.  Nicely done.

I really like this from the Rangers side just in terms of picks.  I think Spooner could actually blossom in NY for the reasons @TropicalFruitGirl26 stated.  Or, he could remain as is and the Rangers still get a significant boost to their rebuild (I forget the newfangled term) efforts.   Definitely kudos to them!

My opinion is simple, Nash over Spooner now and forever and since they are the only two current nhlers in the deal short term-this season it is a big win for the Bruins unquestionably. The pick may change that but that is tomorrow. Living for the day, feeling their club is a player away from a serious run they made the move. I am a live for the moment guy, so the deal makes sense. Shedding Belesky didn't hurt either.

46 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Second.... on the bolded.....good LAAAAWWD, if that happens (and I assume you are talking Evander, not Patrick, lol), I can see it now.

LOL!  Yes.  Boy would Patrick be fun.  "Make Wherever Richards & Carter Hung Out Great Again."

The Simmonds thing was comical.   I don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion of that fiasco, but I do think of the two moves in the same light.   I don't think Nash is the locker room pariah that Evander Kane seems to be.   And @yave1964 is right that he does do some things that don't appear on the scoreboard.    I think the Bruins are trying to do a "get Recchi" type of thing.  I just think they could have gotten better mileage out of the assets spent.  Most of these assets were on name rather than benefit, IMO.

History in Columbus and New York just indicates to me that I'm not wrong.   Time will tell.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Ryan Spooner who should fit in nicely (sarcasm) with the Rangers as he is another failed center who mostly plays wing. 9 goals in 39 games.

Prospect and former second rounder Ryan Lindgren who is unimpressive in college so far and hasn't yet turned pro, years away at best.

So the first, an okay prospect and Spooner who can play a little as a middle six asset at either wing or center and the ghost of Belesky who is a shell of his former self. The Rangers also ate a large portion of Nash's deal.

Its a bit misleading to say "9 goals in 39 games."

Spooner is and always has been a playmaker :P

His career high in goals is 13 in 80 games.

Spooner reminds me of Craig Janney lite. Butter soft perimeter player who can only thrive in offensive situations with a goal scoring winger. Janney was garbage for the bruins, but was elevated largely by being the only offensive option by  Bourque and Neely and later in StLouis by Shanahan and Hull.

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Its a bit misleading to say "9 goals in 39 games."

Spooner is and always has been a playmaker :P

His career high in goals is 13 in 80 games.

Spooner reminds me of Craig Janney lite. Butter soft perimeter player who can only thrive in offensive situations with a goal scoring winger. Janney was garbage for the bruins, but was elevated largely by being the only offensive option by  Bourque and Neely and later in StLouis by Shanahan and Hull.

I am not a Spooner fan, he reminds me of a lot of the other forwards with the Rangers, Hayes, Zibenajad, Miller, supposed to be centers but kind of failed in that position and not really what you envision in a winger either. Z is the best of the lot but that is not really a compliment. The Rangers have the largest collection of third liners trying to punch above their weight class this side of Detroit and Spooner oughta fit right in. 

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

My opinion is simple, Nash over Spooner now and forever

Only highlighting part because the rest of the post defends this.

First, I'm not entirely sure I concede even that point.   But let's pretend I do.  My thing is simply that they could have used the same assets--maybe add to it a little--to get better better.  I just think they wasted assets they could have used on someone better.

This point of view, of course, begs the question:  of those *obviously* available, who would this mysterious person be?   That's where you might have me.   There doesn't seem to be any names out there that are more "sexy." 

While Boston dealing with the Rangers is somewhat surprising, dealing with the Senators or Canadiens might be moreso.    Nyquist isn't quite the obvious rental but would have been a decent addition without the outlay.   Same with Anisimov (who seems destined for Columbus anyway).

I don't know.  I don't like Nash.  I never have.   He seems like a Homereque Petr Nedved, washed up Adam Oates, Tony Amonte, or Mike York pick up to me.   Blek.

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I am not a Spooner fan, he reminds me of a lot of the other forwards with the Rangers, Hayes, Zibenajad, Miller, supposed to be centers but kind of failed in that position and not really what you envision in a winger either

Yes.  Completely agree with that.

This has got to be about picks/salary for the Rangers.  It can't be about Spooner.  Because that's dead on.   It's why I've never been a fan of Zibenajad (which I know isn't a shock to  you--or others conveniently on this thread so far).

Boston just signed Gionta fresh from the Olympics. Truthfully, Gionta and Nash play a 200 foot game and make the best collection of defenseively responsible forwards in the game that much tougher to play against. Again, for THIS YEAR I really like what Boston has done. Time will tell beyond then.

Archived