Leafs Acquire Plekanec from Canadiens

hf101

The Leafs acquire Tomas Plekanec and Kyle Baun from the Montreal Canadiens for Rinat Valiev, Kerby Rychel and Toronto’s second-round draft pick in 2018. (The Canadiens will retain 50 percent of Plekanec’s salary.)

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The Leafs acquire Tomas Plekanec and Kyle Baun from the Montreal Canadiens for Rinat Valiev, Kerby Rychel and Toronto’s second-round draft pick in 2018. (The Canadiens will retain 50 percent of Plekanec’s salary.)

I'm not a huge fan of Plekanec, but this seems like the perfect type of deal for the Leafs.   They didn't give up a huge amount, had salary retained, and get a piece that if he just does what he does is a helpful addition to what they're trying to do without blowing up top lines or altering chemistry in any huge way.   Good deal for them.

From the Canadiens' side, they get some pieces, don't shed anyone of huge import to any build and shed some salary in the process.

Not a bad trade, IMO.

Always liked Plekanec and as a 4th liner he should be fine.

TO has given up 2 2nd rounders in 2 years to prop up the 4th line with both players received probably not returning the following year. If TO wins the Cup then this was a steal, if not 2nd round draft choices going out the door for incremental improvements for a rebuilding team might be questionable maneuvers.

9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I posted elsewhere that trading for Plekanec rather than a true 4C such as Letestu or Glendening may be a sign that Matthews injury is worse than originaly reported.

Matthews hasn't been Matthews since his first injury this year, I hope TO forces Matthews to get healthy before the playoffs. I don't think TO would look at Plekanec as any type of replacement or whatever to Matthews. 

TO's center depth without Matthews and Plekanec:

Nylander

Kadri

Bozak

Moore

Leo

Leo played as a center in the KHL for years before returning to the NHL, he was his team's #1 center. Nylander was a center in the A and on TO in his 1st year in the NHL. Much has been written about TO's wing depth but mostly that depth was because TO/Babs preferred that players who had played center were switched to the wing.

Babs wants 4 quality lines and Plekanec should help provide that. 

@hobie

I love Komarov but he is a winger, so is Nylander. Moore is not depth, he is a 13th forward, body, practice dummy.

Plekanec allows them to slot Kadri and Bozak up a line if Matthews is out for any length of time which is smart. He is nothing great but he can play middle six center which with Brassard gone leaves him as the best available. Overall I like the add.

19 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I posted elsewhere that trading for Plekanec rather than a true 4C such as Letestu or Glendening may be a sign that Matthews injury is worse than originaly reported.

Agreed. This is an unusual move for Toronto unless Matthews is going to be out for months not weeks. The Leafs have an abundance of depth at forward. This does nothing to help toughen the Leafs up for the gruelling playoffs that are to come (and I think the Leafs are a bit on the small and soft side). But what the heck, we'll take it. It's more scoring and we gave up nothing.  :)

On 2/26/2018 at 10:02 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Agreed. This is an unusual move for Toronto unless Matthews is going to be out for months not weeks.

Apparently, Matthews is out for a few weeks after his injury on Feb 22.  Babcock recently stated that Matthews suffered a separated shoulder.  Matthews is already back skating.

7 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Apparently, Matthews is out for a few weeks after his injury on Feb 22.  Babcock recently stated that Matthews suffered a separated shoulder.  Matthews is already back skating.

Apparently that's one of the most painful injuries.... especially popping it back in.  

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/playoffs-secured-maple-leafs-tough-decisions-stretch/

If there’s a player who could use a few more games and some more minutes to get his game revved up before the post-season, it would be centre Tomas Plekanec. He’s now played 15 games as a Leaf since being acquired at the trade deadline, and as indicated by the one assist he’s managed to generate, he has been a significant disappointment. A ghost, really.

Plekanec led the Leafs with three official giveaways against Winnipeg, and had one shot in less than eight minutes of competition. He did win five of six faceoffs, but the speed and savvy the Leafs were hoping from him just haven’t materialized. So far, he hasn’t shown he’s much better than Dominic Moore in the No. 4 centre slot, and definitely not as effective as big Brian Boyle was last year when he was added at the deadline.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:16 PM, yave1964 said:

@hobie

I love Komarov but he is a winger, so is Nylander. Moore is not depth, he is a 13th forward, body, practice dummy.

Plekanec allows them to slot Kadri and Bozak up a line if Matthews is out for any length of time which is smart. He is nothing great but he can play middle six center which with Brassard gone leaves him as the best available. Overall I like the add.

This is TO's practice dummy, all the players, including Moore, that I mentioned could do a better job of centering TO's 4th line than him.

The only value TO is getting from Plekanec is his faceoff ability, his winning percentage is 52.8. Leo's faceoff winning percentage is 52.2 and Moore's is 54.3. Neither Leo or Moore cost TO a 2nd in the upcoming draft. 

Archived