Olympic gold medal means more than Stanley Cup

hf101

As quoted by Pavel Datsyuk after the Russians won Gold.  A Gold medal where the best in the world didn't play, non the less.

“When you play for your country and I win this medal, this special time, it’s more important,” Datsyuk said. “I have accomplished my dream. Now I have no dream.”

Maybe if he hadn't won a couple of Stanley Cups he'd think differently.  Kind of a slap in the face again to the Red Wings and the teammates  he won cups with. imo.  

40 minutes ago, hf101 said:

As quoted by Pavel Datsyuk after the Russians won Gold.  A Gold medal where the best in the world didn't play, non the less.

“When you play for your country and I win this medal, this special time, it’s more important,” Datsyuk said. “I have accomplished my dream. Now I have no dream.”

Maybe if he hadn't won a couple of Stanley Cups he'd think differently.  Kind of a slap in the face again to the Red Wings and the teammates  he won cups with. imo.  

To the extent that most Americans I've encountered don't give a rat's ass about the Olympics being the best and most prestigious tournament in the world, and are more bothered by the idea of the NHL being shut down for 2 weeks, most of the players and fans in the rest of the world care that much about it. It's not different from how fans in the rest of the hockey world used to eagerly anticipate the Canada Cup, because it meant that we would finally see a true best-on-best tournament comprised of players representing their countries.

I don't think that Datsyuk's attitude is strange or insulting. Cultural differences, I guess.

46 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Now that nobody is sending their best players to the Olympics any more, the Russians can get back to collecting gold medals that nobody cares about. I mean seriously. I never watched a single game of the Olympic hockey this year. It means nothing when NHL players aren't there.

Young people always wonder why Russia has so many gold medals in hockey and it's difficult to explain to them why but hopefully now they can see. It's back to being Russian KHL players vs the rest of the world's amateur players. 

Also, has Canada ever faced Russia in a gold medal game ever? For all the talk of Russia being such a great hockey power, I can't ever recall a time when they've faced Canada 1-on-1 for the gold. Until they've defeated Canada in a gold medal game against our best players or a World Cup, or anything, they will never be a true hockey superpower. Canada's biggest rivals (in my lifetime) have been the USA and Sweden. Russia is just a fringe player in international hockey that can't win the big one.  :)

I call BS, Pavel. Hyperbole. It was more like a Junior 'B' hockey tournament. You were the biggest fish in a teeny pool. Means nothing unless all the best are there. Sorry, I gotta call 'em as I see 'em.

Archived