5 winners 5 losers on deadline day

yave1964

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Stastny makes them the best bunch of forwards in the game IMHO.

Honestly, I'm with you on the Jets but completely get those saying Nashville. 

My problem with Statsny is he has loser stink. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

He is a middlingprospect. Look it up. Mine is not an ignorant statement, it is based off research and fact. Unlike you I am capable of being objective. Unlike you I know what that word means. 

The Sharks in the last year and a half have bypassed O'Regan and brought up kids like Meier, Tierney, Lebanc and Donskoi while passing over O'Regan.  In two tries in the NHL he has failed badly with 1 goal in 22 games. 

Junkie, I don't want to give you a lesson in Hockey because it would be a waste of time and effort but there is a huge difference between the AHL and the NHL. For some it is a breeding ground where they ply there trade while preparing for the NHL. for others it is a more or less permanent home for a decade or so. Lots of great talented players who are missing an ingredient which would allow them to have an NHL career toil in obscurity for a decade and then move on to adecent payday in Europe before calling it a career. I love the AHL, I watch it almost every night, I know of what I speak.

So lets look at the Red Garrett trophy (or rookie of the year as you ignorantly put it) over the last twenty years. 

Those who have went on to rewarding long term success in the NHL:

Tyler Toffoli, Matt Murray, Mikko Rantanen

Those who at best had mediocre careers or didn't make it at all:

17 other guys who you probably never heard of. Okay not quite true, Luke Adam and Tyler Ennis were with the Sabres for a few minutes before disappearing into obscurity so you might have heard of them. 

The point being the Red Garrett Memorial trophy has produced 3 outstanding players in 20 years and 17 at best not outstanding and at worst nothing players during that 20 years. In almost all cases the real top tier prospects bypass the AHL and go right from Juniors or college or Europe right to the NHL. 

So stick your calling me ignorant pal. Stick your calling me a homer, I am more critical of my beloved Wings than anyone in here and predicted this downfall FIVE YEARS before it happened. I would challenge you to a duel, a battle of wits but I have always been told not to fight with an unarmed opponent.

Oh, and last thing, O'Regan sucks. 

Post of the day! :thankyou1:

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

The good news is that even if he's promoted he won't have to be an NHL player. He'll be a Sabre. 

I cannot believe he got under my skin like a tick. Like a damn tick. And the entire time I was trying to explain how the AHL works I was thinking to myself, why bother? I seriously doubt he even knows how to spell AHL. You can call me a lot but to call me ignorant of the game or to say I am biased towards my Wings......

Like a damn tick.

9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I cannot believe he got under my skin like a tick. Like a damn tick. And the entire time I was trying to explain how the AHL works I was thinking to myself, why bother? I seriously doubt he even knows how to spell AHL. You can call me a lot but to call me ignorant of the game or to say I am biased towards my Wings......

Like a damn tick.

And how does this make you feel? 

41 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

So lets look at the Red Garrett trophy (or rookie of the year as you ignorantly put it) over the last twenty years. 

17 other guys who you probably never heard of. Okay not quite true, Luke Adam and Tyler Ennis were with the Sabres for a few minutes before disappearing into obscurity so you might have heard of them. 

The point being the Red Garrett Memorial trophy has produced 3 outstanding players in 20 years and 17 at best not outstanding and at worst nothing players during that 20 years. In almost all cases the real top tier prospects bypass the AHL and go right from Juniors or college or Europe right to the NHL. 

Thank you for saving me the effort; I was going to do this very same thing after getting out of the shower. His Garrett trophy is trivia at this point, and informs us less than the steps he hasn't taken in what should be the middle of his prime.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

He is a middlingprospect. Look it up. Mine is not an ignorant statement, it is based off research and fact. Unlike you I am capable of being objective. Unlike you I know what that word means. 

The Sharks in the last year and a half have bypassed O'Regan and brought up kids like Meier, Tierney, Lebanc and Donskoi while passing over O'Regan.  In two tries in the NHL he has failed badly with 1 goal in 22 games. 

Junkie, I don't want to give you a lesson in Hockey because it would be a waste of time and effort but there is a huge difference between the AHL and the NHL. For some it is a breeding ground where they ply there trade while preparing for the NHL. for others it is a more or less permanent home for a decade or so. Lots of great talented players who are missing an ingredient which would allow them to have an NHL career toil in obscurity for a decade and then move on to adecent payday in Europe before calling it a career. I love the AHL, I watch it almost every night, I know of what I speak.

So stick your calling me ignorant pal. Stick your calling me a homer, I am more critical of my beloved Wings than anyone in here and predicted this downfall FIVE YEARS before it happened. I would challenge you to a duel, a battle of wits but I have always been told not to fight with an unarmed opponent.

Oh, and last thing, O'Regan sucks. 

I know there is a huge difference.  But there is a huge difference between a guy like Gionta who is old and a young guy that has performed well. I do not have any clue why the Bruins wanted him?  But the kid we got along with the pick was fair.

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

You won't know for a couple of seasons how well the Sabres did at the trade deadline. They gave up a very talented player, albeit a locker room cancer in Evander Kane for a bunch of unknown commodities. We won't know how well they did on this deal for 3 years minimum.

A number one pick is a number one pick.  The kid was not only AHL rookie of the year, but a linemate of Eichel.  That means alot in itself.  If jackie boy likes him, that is fine with me.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Sorry bud. Middling is accurate, if a bit generous. Your GM failed bigly. 

Bull.  And lets wait until we get a goalie like this Finnish kid that I am sure they have plans for. I am not sure about this coach by any means.  But i know they just handed Boston their ass's.  Without Eichel

11 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And lets wait until we get a goalie like this Finnish kid that I am sure they have plans for

What does that have to do with the nothing minor league forward?

(Hint:  It rhymes with "snothing")

10 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

But i know they just handed Boston their ass's.  Without Eichel

I somehow missed this (the comment, not the score).

I'm sure you can call the Sabres' season a success now.  They won a game about Boston.   That's awesome.   Make sure you fit all of that on the banner.

we kicked boston ass.png

I wouldn't necessarily call out the Wild as losers in this deadline.  I'd probably call them winners as in not making the mistake they made last year giving up far to much for Hanzal.  They got rid of a couple of fringe players imo.  Losing Stewart frees up a spot in the press box for Winnik and allowing them to bring up Luke Kunin.

Reilly signed as a FA and really never found a spot on the roster often being the 7th d-man, moving him allows them to bring up Nick Seeler who has more size and strength than Reilly.

20 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I wouldn't necessarily call out the Wild as losers in this deadline.  I'd probably call them winners as in not making the mistake they made last year giving up far to much for Hanzal.  They got rid of a couple of fringe players imo.  Losing Stewart frees up a spot in the press box for Winnik and allowing them to bring up Luke Kunin.

Reilly signed as a FA and really never found a spot on the roster often being the 7th d-man, moving him allows them to bring up Nick Seeler who has more size and strength than Reilly.

Well, HF.... I STILL wish the Wild did more, but at this point, I will go with your more optimistic approach.

I agree the Wild didn't need to go making the same splashy errors of deadlines past, but I think they still could have gotten at least a third pair NHL traveled D-man from someone, and perhaps a late pick for Stewart (like they did for Reilly) instead of letting him go for nothing on waivers.

You probably have a point in that it seems the Wild preferred to "upgrade at the deadline" from within (bringing up and keeping up some of the players you mentioned).

And I certainly am no fan of Daniel Winnik.

So yea, I will cling to your optimism for now.

Zach Parise, Nino Neidderreiter, Charlie Coyle and Mikko Koivu need to get their schtick together and start scoring a bit more for this team too..........

11 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And lets wait until we get a goalie like this Finnish kid that I am sure they have plans for.

you mean this kid .... 2017 NHL Draft: Buffalo Sabres select goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen with pick 54?

You do realize this kid is only 18 and probably a good solid 6-7 years away from playing in the NHL. 

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

you mean this kid .... 2017 NHL Draft: Buffalo Sabres select goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen with pick 54?

You do realize this kid is only 18 and probably a good solid 6-7 years away from playing in the NHL. 

A seven year rebuild program... sounds like my son in laws time frame for putting a transmission in his car that has been taking up a damn spot in my garage since before Thanksgiving......

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I somehow missed this (the comment, not the score).

I'm sure you can call the Sabres' season a success now.  They won a game about Boston.   That's awesome.   Make sure you fit all of that on the banner.

we kicked boston ass.png

I didn't really have any particular reason to quote you, I just wanted to post that Sabre meme one more time 

14 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

A middling prospect?  Are you serious?  The guy is AHL rookie of the year and he is not much of a player?  What an ignorant statement.  Not surprised as its not your team.  Your team that we beat with no Jack Eichel in Joe Louis Arena.  Pretty sad isn't it.  

I like the kid. But we had doubts as to if he would ever become an NHL regular. His size is not as hindered in the AHL as it will be in the NHL and a lot of what made him successful at AHL level will not translate.

At most, his ceiling is 3rd line C, 4th line more likely

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Sorry bud. Middling is accurate, if a bit generous. Your GM failed bigly. 

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I like the kid. But we had doubts as to if he would ever become an NHL regular. His size is not as hindered in the AHL as it will be in the NHL and a lot of what made him successful at AHL level will not translate.

OK, so lets just figure every single player in the NHL is a superstar.

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Funny how the writers on a national level say its a good thing because it reunites Eichel with his two linemates from BU>  I think its too late for you to call this a bust.  Buts its typical of you.  The Sharks have taken big steps backwards themselves in my opinion.  It would take a miracle for them to come out of the West.

For the record ESPN has the Flyers and Sabres under the loser column but neither are Earth shattering.  Basically the Flyers did nothing, and the Sabres should have gotten a solid number one instead of a conditional number one.  Anything is better than him walking later. And the upcoming draft will see many changes.

The NHL has become too much of a SWINGING DOOR

Archived