5 winners 5 losers on deadline day

yave1964

Flyers were losers because talking heads think that if you're in the playoffs, you need to go for it every year. The Flyers are experience and a bona-fide 2nd defensive pairing away from making real noise in the east. So to pay deadline prices for rental players who frankly wouldn't be able to address those two needs would have actually made them losers.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Funny how the writers on a national level say its a good thing because it reunites Eichel with his two linemates from BU>  I think its too late for you to call this a bust.  Buts its typical of you.  The Sharks have taken big steps backwards themselves in my opinion.  It would take a miracle for them to come out of the West.

I didn't call him a bust. A bust is a 1st round draft pick who does not live up to expectations. He is a 5th round draft pick who was chosen 5th round for a reason. If he becomes an NHL regular, its a win.

I said his projected Ceiling is 3rd line C and 4th line C is more likely.

Its not my opinion. Its the opinion of Barracuda fans who watched him play and know which skills work in the AHL that do not translate to NHL level. I really do not know enough about the kid to make an opinion.

What I can tell you from what I have personally seen is he works best with Speedy players and other skill players and has good Hockey sense and tries to play a good solid 2 way game. But he is 5 foot 9 and gets battered off the puck easily by guys bigger than him.

He is not a blue chip prospect by any means. The only blue chip prospect we have is Timo Meier

42 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

For the record ESPN

You lost me when you cited ESPN as anything remotely resembling an authority on hockey.   That it's played on ice is the beginning and end of their expertise.   Those "national writers" also said Ville Leino was a terrific signing.  Those of us who (rightly) said it was a disaster were accused of bias and a bunch of other nonsense.

You got a bust, a 2nd round pick, and a 4th rounder for Evander Kane.   That's awesome [/sarcasm].   Your GM botched this one (or a lot of GMs share my opinion on Kane, which is surprising yet plausible)..

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Your GM botched this one (or a lot of GMs share my opinion on Kane, which is surprising yet plausible)..

Botterill said he only got one plausible offer for Kane, so this might be closer to the truth than you think.

48 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Anything is better than him walking later

We agree on this, for sure.  It really is possible that the market value for Kane isn't what many assumed and the Sabres got what they could.   Who knows what other offers they got, so maybe this was actually a very good job.   I personally wouldn't have traded my rookie Dan Kordic card that went through the washing machine for him.  But that's me.

46 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Flyers were losers because talking heads think that if you're in the playoffs, you need to go for it every year. The Flyers are experience and a bona-fide 2nd defensive pairing away from making real noise in the east. So to pay deadline prices for rental players who frankly wouldn't be able to address those two needs would have actually made them losers.

Yup.

Players cost a lot on deadline and picks cost a lot on draft day, and Hextall seems to have done a good job of figuring that out. The media can talk, but most of the time, the best trade is the one you didn't make.

@J0e Th0rnton

Like I said:

Like a tick.

I also didn't say O'Regan is not a prospect, I called him what he is, a marginal prospect who if things break right might catch a break as a third liner scoring 15-20 goals a year. Nothing wrong with that, every team needs thoseguys too.

I am sure the Sabres started asking for Meier and were laughed at, then Tierney, then Donskoi then Labanc and finally down the list the Sharks agreed to O'Regan and a conditional first which will probably be a second as I truly believe Kane will be in Vancouver come July. Junkie in his frothing did say the Sabres at least got what they got which is better than nothing (paraphrase) I am sure they asked for a lot and wouldn't have settled for this if they coulda got more.

O'Regan may end up making it, they will give him every chance but at best, a solid third liner and that is not a given. Good to see he is picking on your smarts and your team too, lol.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Botterill said he only got one plausible offer for Kane, so this might be closer to the truth than you think.

I think that's actually probably the case, so I have to temper my "the Sabres' GM failed!" schtick.   HJ is right that something was better than his just walking.   The player is meh and probably AHL depth (or could help on the 4th line, which would be fine in that he'd be cheap), but the picks could be something good.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:
1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Sabres should have gotten a solid number one instead of a conditional number one.

Junkie, for the love of god please start calling it what it is. It’s a first round draft pick, not the number one pick.  You have been making this mistake for years. “ i.e. The Sabres have two number ones”

If the Sabres have the eighth pick in the first round then it’s the 8th pick, not #1 pick and the kid they got back in the Kane trade was a 5th round pick not the 5th pick.

Tick

Miller

48 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I didn't call him a bust. A bust is a 1st round draft pick who does not live up to expectations. He is a 5th round draft pick who was chosen 5th round for a reason. If he becomes an NHL regular, its a win.

I said his projected Ceiling is 3rd line C and 4th line C is more likely.

Its not my opinion. Its the opinion of Barracuda fans who watched him play and know which skills work in the AHL that do not translate to NHL level. I really do not know enough about the kid to make an opinion.

What I can tell you from what I have personally seen is he works best with Speedy players and other skill players and has good Hockey sense and tries to play a good solid 2 way game. But he is 5 foot 9 and gets battered off the puck easily by guys bigger than him.

He is not a blue chip prospect by any means. The only blue chip prospect we have is Timo Meier

Well he is going to get his shot with Jack Eichel

38 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You lost me when you cited ESPN as anything remotely resembling an authority on hockey.   That it's played on ice is the beginning and end of their expertise.   Those "national writers" also said Ville Leino was a terrific signing.  Those of us who (rightly) said it was a disaster were accused of bias and a bunch of other nonsense.

You got a bust, a 2nd round pick, and a 4th rounder for Evander Kane.   That's awesome [/sarcasm].   Your GM botched this one (or a lot of GMs share my opinion on Kane, which is surprising yet plausible)..

I do share your hatred for ESPN the way they simply forgave baseball but did not extend the same olive branch to the NHL.  

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

We agree on this, for sure.  It really is possible that the market value for Kane isn't what many assumed and the Sabres got what they could.   Who knows what other offers they got, so maybe this was actually a very good job.   I personally wouldn't have traded my rookie Dan Kordic card that went through the washing machine for him.  But that's me.

I think some people did not read the first name.  ITs Evander, not Patrick, the Buffalo native

20 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Junkie, for the love of god please start calling it what it is. It’s a first round draft pick, not the number one pick.  You have been making this mistake for years. “ i.e. The Sabres have two number ones”

If the Sabres have the eighth pick in the first round then it’s the 8th pick, not #1 pick and the kid they got back in the Kane trade was a 5th round pick not the 5th pick.

Tick

Miller

NO>  NOT IF KANE WALKS

8 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I think some people did not read the first name.  ITs Evander, not Patrick, the Buffalo native

Well yeah, I get your point but even in an off year Patrick gets a lot more. 

The sad thing about it is that when Evander is focused on his job, he's a first round pick and bona-fide prospect guy. At least. But that's only at most 33% of the time. But because he's plays disinterested or like a Baltimore Raven on skates the rest of the time, you're probably right that they probably got about as good as they were going to get. 

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well he is going to get his shot with Jack Eichel

All good. Hope it works out better for him.

I am just chiming in because you seem to think you got a blue chip prospect, when in fact he is just a project prospect.

The other thing is, you only get a 1st round pick from the Sharks if Kane resigns with us, otherwise it becomes a 2nd.

So yeah its a good trade for us.

19 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I am just chiming in because you seem to think you got a blue chip prospect, when in fact he is just a project prospect.

The other thing is, you only get a 1st round pick from the Sharks if Kane resigns with us, otherwise it becomes a 2nd.

#facts

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

the best trade is the one you didn't make.

THIS!! ^^^ A million times over.  Some GM's will never learn.  There was not one single player out there that was worth mortgaging the future for.  I haven't watched BSPN in years. 

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I do share your hatred for ESPN the way they simply forgave baseball but did not extend the same olive branch to the NHL.  

Look at that ...we can agree on something after all! :)

If anybody listens to The Full 60 podcast, he had a former assistant GM on talking about the trade deadline and he said that basically rarely are deadline deals actually worth what you pay, and that GMs are still asking for prices that aren't realistic in today's NHL. It's a pretty good podcast generally, so I would definitely suggest giving it a listen. The Ray Ferraro one was pretty good, talking about being on the expansion Thrashers. 

1 hour ago, MadDevil said:

If anybody listens to The Full 60 podcast, he had a former assistant GM on talking about the trade deadline and he said that basically rarely are deadline deals actually worth what you pay, and that GMs are still asking for prices that aren't realistic in today's NHL. It's a pretty good podcast generally, so I would definitely suggest giving it a listen. The Ray Ferraro one was pretty good, talking about being on the expansion Thrashers. 

Thanks for that, MD. Great stuff.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:13 PM, JR Ewing said:

When people refer to a 24-year old hockey player who has been completely unable to gain traction at the NHL level a "prospect", you know the word is being used a bit liberally.

So I disagree with you. The kid went to college, so he wasn't a pro until 22. He turned 24 during his second pro season. It would be the same as saying a 21 year old isn't a prospect after going through juniors.

Also, @yave1964 O'Regan wasn't passed over by anyone in the Sharks lineup. If you're talking about Timo Meier or Kevin Labanc, they were always ahead of him. O'Regan was a good AHL player last year, as @Hockey Junkie  stated. Meier and Labanc were basically on the NHL team last year, and O'Regan was the first callup this year. He got several good opportunities with the Sharks, I just think they see him as a third line center (if anything), and not a checking line guy, and they already have Chris Tierney. I don't think he is going to be anything special, but I can tell you he isn't going to be a checking line player. I imagine he has a real chance to do something with the horrible Buffalo Sabres, and if the Sharks re-sign Kane (which I would do), then the 2nd becomes a first.

How about we stop bashing O'Regan and focus on Jason Botterill, who got taken to school by Doug Wilson at his first trade deadline. Even if the pick becomes a 1st, it will be later in the first round most likely next summer, and that player has a small chances of replacing Evander Kane.

I think the Devils were sneaky good this deadline. They didn't give up much, but they brought in grit (Maroon) and speed (Grabner) to bolster a really fun team. I think they play decent enough defense, and this will add a little to the offense that they will make the playoffs, and probably give a first round challenge to, I'm going to predict it right here, the Flyers, who win the Metro.

Archived