Hornqvist close to new contract

nossagog

Word out of the 'burgh is that the Pens are close to a new deal with Patric Hornqvist, five years at $5.3M per.  No a bd raise from the $4.25M he's making now.   Hornqvist has proven to be a very solid player in the organization, and very valuable to the Pens.   

25 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Word out of the 'burgh is that the Pens are close to a new deal with Patric Hornqvist, five years at $5.3M per.  No a bd raise from the $4.25M he's making now.   Hornqvist has proven to be a very solid player in the organization, and very valuable to the Pens.   

wow. Hornqvist is currently 31 and likely in the slowdown of his career.  I think that is overpayment as the league is getting younger and younger.

3 hours ago, nossagog said:

Is there a no movement clause in the contract? He could be trade bait in a year or two! 

16 hours ago, hf101 said:

wow. Hornqvist is currently 31 and likely in the slowdown of his career.  I think that is overpayment as the league is getting younger and younger.

For a team not chasing a 3-peat? Yes. Probably 1 year "too long" and a few hundred thousand per year "too much" but I really don't think the Pens care too much about what he'll be doing when he's 36. They are paying to keep this team intact for the next 3-4 seasons. If they win another Cup (or two) no one is going to care.  The PP is exponentially better with Hornqvist than without and that net front presence is a must - even more so in the playoffs. Just look at his GWG in Game 6 of the SCF. Ugly...yet so beautiful.

Teams that constantly keep paying/playing for the future end up winning squat in the present. :VeryCool:

2 minutes ago, B21 said:

or a team not chasing a 3-peat? Yes. Probably 1 year "too long" and a few hundred thousand per year "too much" but I really don't think the Pens care too much about what he'll be doing when he's 36.

Definitely have to maximize the Crosby- Malkin- Letang window.

That's 3 of the best 25 players in the league imo. So keep them and keep the role players that work well with them until they Ryan Howard.

Hornquist is bastard to play against, the Pens lost some of that when Nick Bonino signed with Nsh.

Losing the edge and skill Hornquist brings would be a further degradation of the top 9.

Crosby and Malkin need another amigo and good role guys to win, so a healthy 58 along with Amanda Kessel's brother has them poised to be in the championship mix again, a happy Hornquist makes them more formidable. 

Archived