Post-Deadline Thoughts

SpikeDDS

Thoughts after reading—and also NOT reading—the news of the deadline:

1. I am shocked—SHOCKED—that Mike Green is still here. I would have lost a lot of money had I bet on it. That we could not move a righty D-man of his caliber says one of two things: either a. We weren’t/Green wasn’t as motivated to move as we thought they were/he was, or b. Kenny Holland has lost his ability to market players. I think the answer is a., because...

2. I am super-thrilled about what we got for Tomas Tatar AND that we lost his ENTIRE cap hit! This shows Kenny Holland has still got it, at least to some degree. Nothing I don’t like about this deal, realizing of course that the first rounder from Vegas May very well be a very late first-rounder (and same with the others).

3. Mrazek is improving his deal. I am pulling for him to earn as many picks as possible from the Flyers. So far, he is performing well. We’ll see if he still does when Elliot returns and competes for ice time. Mrazek did better when he KNEW he was “the man” in net. He is a different player when that is questioned. I am wishing him well in Philly—both for his sake and ours.

4. I am not surprised at all that we still have Nyke and AA. Nor am I surprised that we didn’t move Glendening. Babs liked Glendening, and I thought he might end up there, but when they found help from elsewhere, I figgered he was gonna stick around.

5. Too bad for Oullet. I’m sure he would have liked to find a different team to try to earn a spot.

6. The fact that we have as many of these players as we do tells us this year’s deadline was a buyer’s market. I was for selling as much as we could, but not for selling stupidly. If Green goes, it will be stupid, but I have a feeling he chose to stay, and since offers were not fantastic, they decided to keep him to resign him as the defensive anchor as we rebuild. So long as we do, indeed, sign him, I am OK with this, even though on its surface it still smells like a missed opportunity.

A deadline that could have been better but could definitely have been worse. I’m...OK with it. 

@SpikeDDS

Great write up as usual, beat me to it. Addressing you points through my scarlet colored glasses...

1) Green getting injured by Erne and not playing for two weeks killed his value. That and Yzerman keeping the Wings dangling to the last minute while he completed his deal with the NYR. Tampa was the big suitor but getting McDonough made more sense.\

2) Love the return on Tatar and it allows cap flexibility moving forward as well as additional picks.

3)Mrazek seems a lock to at least bump it up to a number three and a reasonable chance it will be a number two this year and a three next. If we turn it into a number 2 this year we will have 6 of the top 65-70 picks in the draft. Time to draft right and seize the day. Can we borrow Jim Nill and Stevie back for a couple of days, lol?

4) Agreed that the players we kept were all smar tto hold onto. AA was mentioned in a hockey trade, not a futures deal, for a potential top pair defender, if we do that in the offseason I am fine with that as we have tons of forwards in the pipeline. 

5) Nobody wanting Oullet was not a surprise. 

6) Definitely a buyers market, lots of players such as Pageau, Hoffman, Green, Pacioretty, half of the Sabre roster and more stayed where they were, Vanek is having a killer year and all the Canucks could muster is a 24 year old non prospect on his third team in 10 months and whichever Jokinen hasn't returned to Europe yet, not even a draft pick. 

Agreed, overall satisfying although losing Green for nothing come summer will stick in the crawl but having at worst 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds and potentially 6 in the top 65 depending on the Flyers success and where the lottery balls fall for us is something to hang our hat on. I love that we have the Senators second as well as our own, both should be top 8-10 so we are looking at 4 in the top 40 already. Not the playoffs, but something to look forward to in the summer.

Personally, given the Wings' cap situation, draft situation, and place on the NHL competitive cycle, I'd say Detroit did pretty well this deadline.

Here is Detroit's current draft board, which I posted on another thread, but applies in this one:

Wings.jpg

Not bad at all...and as I mentioned in the other thread, this could improve further come draft day or in the off season.

The Wings still have a number of contracts they probably would like to shed, unfortunately, that will take some doing because many of them have No Move or No Trade clauses attached to them.

Still though, their deadline day was pretty good, now they would just need to build on that this summer.

It will still be awhile before the Wings are heard from in the playoffs, but if I were a Detroit fan, I try to take solace in the fact that at least they have acknowledged the team isn't competitive and are taking steps to correct this.

5 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

It will still be awhile before the Wings are heard from in the playoffs, but if I were a Detroit fan, I try to take solace in the fact that at least they have acknowledged the team isn't competitive and are taking steps to correct this.

And ONLY 4 SEASONS TOO LATE!!!

But at least it's progress, and the progress DOES seem to be accelerating.

LET'S GO FOR DAHLIN!!

8 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

And ONLY 4 SEASON TOO LATE!!!

But at least it's progress, and the progress DOES seem to be accelerating.

LET'S GO FOR DAHLIN!!

Yea, yea, they WERE stubborn.... still thinking they could win going back those three or four seasons despite them having a barely competitive roster and bloated payroll given what they were accomplishing....Just didn't know when to give up the ghost...Kinda like this guy..... :lol:

But like you said...... they seem to have forward progress now.

Archived