Islanders to the Postseason?

So I watched the last two games for the Islanders, both against a Montreal team that hasn't looked very good, and the Islanders haven't looked that great in my opinion. Their defense struggles to get the puck out of their own zone. The goalies can't stop enough pucks when they give up tons of shots. John Tavares is ice cold right now. Mathew Barzal is an electrifying young player, who has my vote for the Calder if I had one. But the Islander are struggling to stay relevant if you ask me, and I don't think they have what it takes to stay in the race for a wild card spot in the East. Thoughts?

I was shocked that they did nothing to improve at the deadline, especially with the UFA sword of Tavares hanging over their head. The back end is a mess, they are missing Hamonic much more than expected,The forwards don't help they just kind of hang around at center ice waiting for a clearing pass.

20 hours ago, musky said:

Doug weight,andrew ladd and halak must go ouir defence is week and just bad.

I think Doug Weight is okay. Give him another year to see what happens.

Andrew Ladd is way overpaid, and doesn't play well with JT. He's okay on the third line, but like a Milan Lucic, you're paying him too much to play on the third line. But who is going to take him with that salary? No one.

Halak isn't that bad, if he had a defense in front of him. Yeah, he's not an all-star, and he's not going to put you in the playoffs like a Carey Price, but he's a decent enough goalie.

The real issue is the defense.  The real issue is they can't get out of their own end. Leddy and Boychuk are smart, capable players, but beyond that, their young guys turn the puck over way too much in their own zone, which leads to a lot of scoring chances against, and eventually goals.

5 hours ago, belowthegoalline said:

I think Doug Weight is okay. Give him another year to see what happens.

Andrew Ladd is way overpaid, and doesn't play well with JT. He's okay on the third line, but like a Milan Lucic, you're paying him too much to play on the third line. But who is going to take him with that salary? No one.

Halak isn't that bad, if he had a defense in front of him. Yeah, he's not an all-star, and he's not going to put you in the playoffs like a Carey Price, but he's a decent enough goalie.

The real issue is the defense.  The real issue is they can't get out of their own end. Leddy and Boychuk are smart, capable players, but beyond that, their young guys turn the puck over way too much in their own zone, which leads to a lot of scoring chances against, and eventually goals.

I think Snow should be shot and pissed on for not making a move to upgrade the goaltending. It's not like there was nobody out there to pluck, hell, even Mrazek would have been a slight upgrade. This is the main reason that Tavares will be leaving, Snow owes it to Johnny to go for it while Tavares is still in his prime. Strome for Eberle is basically a wash, both soft, but Eberle is paid way more.....and I agree, no way should Ladd be making that much to toll on the 3rd checking line. Snow a former goalie himself, has never figured out the whole goaltending situation. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hf101 said:

I saw this tweet:

Failure to sign Tavares should be the bracket winner.

And I'll say this again.  

Why oh why is Garth Snow still a GM?

"Garth Madness"

:lol:

I love the sound of that.

This is pretty funny actually. Genuine chuckle looking this bracket over.

As for the Isles making the postseason, I had them picked, along with the Devils and Jackets on another thread that was asking which Eastern teams made the cut.

Obviously, the Isles are dead set on proving me wrong while the Jackets rocket up the standings and the Devils are still doing just enough to stay in the picture.

To say the Islanders are 'fading fast' is an understatement.

I watched some of the home at home against the Caps and New York simply looked overmatched. 

No other way to put it.  No matter what the Isles tried (offensive pressure, physical game, defensive shell game, fighting, etc) the Capitals simply did it better than they did every step of the way.

Isles are done for this year.

And one has to wonder...along with the evaporated playoff chances, has John Tavares evaporated any idea of staying on with the team?

Agree completely on Garth Snow.....he should have been gone as GM a LONG time ago.

I joked on other threads that he must have some sort of incriminating photos, emails, or video on the owners.......... now I am starting to wonder if that really isn't so much funny, but TRUTH..... :ermm:

Archived