*The* most unbreakable record in all of sports

jammer2

The Devil's Taylor Hall has been on a torrid tear of late. He has at least one point in his last 24 games. That leads me to the inevitable question, where does that stand all time? Incredibly enough, Paul Coffey sits on the cusp of the top 10, with pts in 28 straight games. So, Hall needs pts in 4 more straight games to even break the top 10 bracket.

Who has the all-time record for pts in consecutive games??  Wayne Gretzky of course, was there ever a doubt?  The SHOCKING part is not the length (although that is also awesome) it's the points accumulated in his record-breaking 51 straight games. Just try to digest this.....

pts in 51 straight games

61 goals in those 51 games

92 assists in those 51 games

A WHOPPING 153 pts in those 51 games!! 

He actually averaged a STUNNING 3 pts per game in those 51 games. 

Just to put this in proper perspective...

1)Only 15 players in NHL history have scored 61 goals in a season....Wayne did it during his streak

2)Only the great Mario Lemieux and the sensational Stevie Yzerman amassed 153 pts in a full season.....Wayne amazingly did it during his streak. 

No one will ever get pts in 51 straight games again. 

No one will ever score at 3 pts per game average during any sustained point streak.

• 6 months later...

Couldn't agree more J2! Nice to see Paul Coffee get a mention too, as he was one of the best of all time IMHO. Fond memories - and I'm a dyed in the wool Leafs fan.

(Might have something to do with my home town - Brantford) Alexander Graham Bell, Wayne Gretzky, and me! Must be something in the water. 😉

On 3/3/2018 at 11:37 AM, jammer2 said:

No one will ever score at 3 pts per game average during any sustained point streak.

Unless the NHL does what MLB did back in the 1990's and rig the players and the game so that records get broken.

ie: Turning a blind eye to steroid use, shrinking the strike zone, shrinking ballparks, etc.... everything possible to ensure that Maris's home run record would fall. Then after it was over, MLB cracked down on steroids, expanded the strike zone back to where it used to be, and batters now struggle to hit 40-50 home runs in a season again (for the most part). 

I could envision the NHL widening the nets in order to force another era of 1980's like scoring. 

On 3/3/2018 at 12:37 PM, jammer2 said:

The Devil's Taylor Hall has been on a torrid tear of late. He has at least one point in his last 24 games. That leads me to the inevitable question, where does that stand all time? Incredibly enough, Paul Coffey sits on the cusp of the top 10, with pts in 28 straight games. So, Hall needs pts in 4 more straight games to even break the top 10 bracket.

Who has the all-time record for pts in consecutive games??  Wayne Gretzky of course, was there ever a doubt?  The SHOCKING part is not the length (although that is also awesome) it's the points accumulated in his record-breaking 51 straight games. Just try to digest this.....

pts in 51 straight games

61 goals in those 51 games

92 assists in those 51 games

A WHOPPING 153 pts in those 51 games!! 

He actually averaged a STUNNING 3 pts per game in those 51 games. 

Just to put this in proper perspective...

1)Only 15 players in NHL history have scored 61 goals in a season....Wayne did it during his streak

2)Only the great Mario Lemieux and the sensational Stevie Yzerman amassed 153 pts in a full season.....Wayne amazingly did it during his streak. 

We have seen recent examples of a player scoring 65 goals. Still like 30% away from 92

But the unbreakable record will be Glenn hall starting 502 consecutive games. It is literally impossible now. A goalie can't even play 82 games straight anymore lol

Archived