Ron Francis out as Carolina Hurricanes general manager

ruxpin

Not sure how I feel about this.  Apparently he has NEVER made a player for player deal in the four years he was there. That's got to be a record or something, right? 

I suppose with no playoffs since 2009, the move is justified. 

Wow. Surprised.

I watched an interview a few days ago with Francis (can't remember who exactly interviewed him) and he seemed still dedicated to getting the Canes on track for a playoff run and building and maintaining a winning franchise.

Ok, ok...so the Hurricanes have been sideline watchers for a number of seasons now and something's gotta give....

But when I see GM's like Jim Benning get an extension and Garth Snow continue to run the Islanders, I just scratch my head on this.

There HAS to more to this story than just the Canes not thinking he is no longer a good GM.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

The timing on this is really weird, right?  I mean, they still have a shot. No sense to a GM change at this time of the year. What would a new guy do to positively affect their making the playoffs?   They don't make it, you do this after the season if you think he's at fault.  Now?  It's weird. 

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

The timing on this is really weird, right?  I mean, they still have a shot. No sense to a GM change at this time of the year. What would a new guy do to positively affect their making the playoffs?   They don't make it, you do this after the season if you think he's at fault.  Now?  It's weird. 

Yea, I didn't even consider the timing part of it regarding playoffs.

Canes have a shot still.....seems to be getting to be a longer one by the day, but still, a shot.

And you are right.

Even Scotty Bowman couldn't do a whole lot if you could get him in the GM's chair TOMORROW....so why reshuffle things at a time when you want the players and coaching staff focused on getting a playoff berth.

Oh well.

If the Canes come out firing on all cylinders next season, people will say this was a genius move.....you know how hindsight is.

But from where I sit, it is, at best, a baffling move, at worst, stupid, considering what is going on around the league.

Guess we will see.

I wouldn't be surprised if Francis himself revealed something none of us suspected well after the fact.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Francis was apparently moved to president of hockey operations but new GM will report directly to the owner.  So, nothing position for Francis, right?

How are you "president" if the GM doesn't report to you? 

Well, the Army doesn't really report to Trump so.......

Oooopsss...bad, bad BAD TFG....I got a tad tongue-in-cheeky political.... feel free to delete.... :love:

@ruxpin

Just realized....the Canes DO have new ownership (I sorta knew that, but forgot...oh well)...

So moves like this, strange as they are, are probably going towards a bigger plan of a complete 'cleaning of house'.

It occurred to me that this new owner probably views this season as another lost one (despite the aforementioned chance at the playoffs), and is just more interested in moving people out, and getting new ones in.

Don't be surprised if over the next season or two, drastic changes are made to the franchise....from the front office all the way down to the Zamboni driver.

Wouldn't even surprise me if the new owner re-branded the whole Carolina franchise with new unis, logos, maybe even colors to try and put behind the legacy of futility.

Will it all work?

Who knows.

Bottom line is, they need better overall players to ice a winning team.

All that other stuff means nothing without them.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Yeah, I knew about the new ownership and figured he probably wants his guy.   I wouldn't blink at that after the season.  It's dumb right now. 

Agree about the talent. And some should be better than they are (Skinner, Faulk). 

4 years without a player for player trade. That's damning, as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm not a gambling man, but I'd be willing to bet that ownership didn't see eye to eye with Francis, but didn't want to fire the team's most legendary player.

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Not sure how I feel about this.  Apparently he has NEVER made a player for player deal in the four years he was there. That's got to be a record or something, right? 

I suppose with no playoffs since 2009, the move is justified. 

Sure but man they are headed in the right direction and they have a young talented team.....they just need a stud goalie and another forward or two.

11 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wouldn't even surprise me if the new owner re-branded the whole Carolina franchise with new unis, logos, maybe even colors to try and put behind the legacy of futility.

I like their logos and unis. They have a young club. They are stocking the farm and have a fast skilled team.

They are a true stud goalie away from being a legit threat.

And they have a Cup since the turn of the century....more than my Flyers can say!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure but man they are headed in the right direction and they have a young talented team.....they just need a stud goalie and another forward or two.

I don't disagree.   In fact, I wholeheartedly agree.  It has to come down to the new owner just wanting his people, right?

What do you make of the move to "President" for Francis?  Just a BS title, right?   I mean, clearly, anyone can be president of something.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

What do you make of the move to "President" for Francis?  Just a BS title, right?   I mean, clearly, anyone can be president of something.

Yes just taking care of the club's all time scorer. Nothing wrong with that.....see Homer/Clarke getting a promotion!!!

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes just taking care of the club's all time scorer. Nothing wrong with that.....see Homer/Clarke getting a promotion!!!

Yeah, first thing I thought of as well.

This was the absolute stone cold right call, absolutely no questions asked.

Number one need for several years is in net, Cam Ward simply doesn't get the job done-period. His answer has been to keep resigning Ward on one year show me deals when he has shown for years that he isn't the answer anymore and that 2006 was lightning in a bottle and never coming back. Then to compliment or push Ward first he brought in Eddie Lack who was a disaster, this year he brought in Scott Darling. That should be enough right there to remove him from any and all personnel decisions.

The other huge glaring need is a 1C and a 2C, I love Jordan Staal, I really do, hard worker one of my favorites but he is the ideal 3C punching waaaaaaaaaay above his weight class. In spite of a wealth of defensive talent he has refused to budge off Justin Faulk who has been rumored every time a team has an extra pivot and needs blue line help. 

He has fallen in love with home grown talent such as Skinner, Lindholm and Rask with mixed results, what I always refer to as the Kenny Holland disease, loyal to a fault to the homegrown kids and afraid to move one out due to either loyalty or fear that they will develop elsewhere. Eric Staal may be part of the reason for that, for years his skill atrophied in Carolina but he has found his game in Minnesota and is a borderline star again so the thought of dealing Skinner for a center or Rask/Lindholm in exasperation and watching them fulfil their potential elsewhere would really sting. 

Bill Peters will likely be gone next which is a damn shame because he really is a decent coach but new GM's like to bring in their own guys.

Archived