Why has coach not been fired?

Buffalo Rick

This Blues team is loaded with talent and players.  They lost in the Western finals last year after beating a very good Minnesota team and a still great Chicago team that is now hitting the skids   The Blues were doing well early.  Now they cannot score for reasons unknown.  I say they have boycotted Yao like the Wild did.  Remember hw the Wild went South?  He gets fired and then all is well?   Well the Blues are wasting valuable time by delaying the inevitable. 

38 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

This Blues team is loaded with talent and players.  They lost in the Western finals last year after beating a very good Minnesota team and a still great Chicago team that is now hitting the skids   The Blues were doing well early.  Now they cannot score for reasons unknown.  I say they have boycotted Yao like the Wild did.  Remember hw the Wild went South?  He gets fired and then all is well?   Well the Blues are wasting valuable time by delaying the inevitable. 

Maybe Yao may be part of it, but they aren't "reasons unknown."   

They spent two first round picks to get a guy -- Schenn -- and inexplicably make  him a first line center.   He is not.   Yes, it was "magic early."  That happened to be when his 20-game or so hot streak was.   He always has one, every year.    And then stretches where he is a complete nothing on the ice.   That he still leads the team in points says a lot about the rest of the team.

Schwartz, Tarasenko, and Schenn looked really good early.   Then Schwartz got hurt and Schenn cooled (the first may have helped cause the second in terms of timing, but it was coming anyway).

But the big problem is that they're a one-line team.  And that one line has Schenn centering it.   They're second line was okay but then Doug Armstrong inexplicably traded Stastny at the deadline.   Not for a player.  2 conditional picks and a prospect.   How does one do that?  Why?   I'm not a Stastny fan.  I never will be.   I think he's possibly one of the most overrated players in the league.  But you're in the hunt for the playoff and you trade your 2C and gut your second line by not even getting a player back?   Armstrong folded.   And you're seeing the results.

Where some GMs have said their team is doing well and deserves to be shown buy-in from management and so they went to add, Armstrong did the exact opposite.  He gutted the 2nd line of a team that didn't have a ton of offense to begin with and  crap goaltending (Allen.   Hutton has been decent).  If anything, the players may be reacting to the general manager.  "If he's folding, why bother?"

Yao may be part of it, too.   I don't know what to think there.   I think he was underwhelming in Minnesota.  He may be in St. Louis too.   But in this particular case, while changing the coach in concert with other moves (fire Armstrong) may be the answer, I don't think the coach on his own is.

51 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Maybe Yao may be part of it, but they aren't "reasons unknown."   

They spent two first round picks to get a guy -- Schenn -- and inexplicably make  him a first line center.   He is not.   Yes, it was "magic early."  That happened to be when his 20-game or so hot streak was.   He always has one, every year.    And then stretches where he is a complete nothing on the ice.   That he still leads the team in points says a lot about the rest of the team.

Schwartz, Tarasenko, and Schenn looked really good early.   Then Schwartz got hurt and Schenn cooled (the first may have helped cause the second in terms of timing, but it was coming anyway).

But the big problem is that they're a one-line team.  And that one line has Schenn centering it.   They're second line was okay but then Doug Armstrong inexplicably traded Stastny at the deadline.   Not for a player.  2 conditional picks and a prospect.   How does one do that?  Why?   I'm not a Stastny fan.  I never will be.   I think he's possibly one of the most overrated players in the league.  But you're in the hunt for the playoff and you trade your 2C and gut your second line by not even getting a player back?   Armstrong folded.   And you're seeing the results.

Where some GMs have said their team is doing well and deserves to be shown buy-in from management and so they went to add, Armstrong did the exact opposite.  He gutted the 2nd line of a team that didn't have a ton of offense to begin with and  crap goaltending (Allen.   Hutton has been decent).  If anything, the players may be reacting to the general manager.  "If he's folding, why bother?"

Yao may be part of it, too.   I don't know what to think there.   I think he was underwhelming in Minnesota.  He may be in St. Louis too.   But in this particular case, while changing the coach in concert with other moves (fire Armstrong) may be the answer, I don't think the coach on his own is.

There are situations where players get so damn aggravated with a coach they quit on him.  Not in an obvious way.  But in ways that are not detectable to the untrained eye.  This bastard Yao is killing them.  He killed a good Minnesota team but they had the sense to fire him in time.  The Blues beat them.  The Blues have a playoff caliber team and on paper are far better than either of our teams.  But the GM has his head up his arse since he has not fired this guy and is putting their playoff chances in dire jeopardy.  I am pissed.  Teresenko and Swartz are both great players.  Bergland is a good finisher and he has been quiet.  Its the bloody coach I tell you. And while we are on the sujfect, even though the Sabres have shown some signs of life without Eichel there, I am still for replacing Houseley who IMO killed us all year. I do not see him surviving 24 hours after the final puck is dropped in Buffalo for this year.  Pegula wants the Sabres to win maybe even more than the Bills.  The Bills are obviously far closer right  now.  That could change over night.  I am hoping for success for both of course. So do you know if Seattle is a done deal?  Are they in the lottery?  Do they get the first pick?

12 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Why??

Look at the owner!!!

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

or Yul Brenner ? :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

No way!

Yul is an excellent special teams coach! That'd be insane!

On second thought, if HJ doesn't like marble heads, then Yul is as good as gone.....

Yeo

Yeo.jpg   

Yul

Yul.jpg

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

On second thought, if HJ doesn't like marble heads, then Yul is as good as gone.....

Yeo

Yeo.jpg   

Yul

Yul.jpg

LOL ... OMG ...the resemblance is uncanny! :lol:

In all seriousness, I was disappointed with Yeo in Minnesota simply because I thought he overplayed certain players and didn't give a real chance to certain others.

Yeo's play style for his teams seem to be up-tempo, strictly hockey, not too much extra curricular stuff, and stout defense.

If he feels certain players can't play that way, they get NO SHOT to prove themselves on his teams.

In itself, it isn't a bad philosophy (who DOESN'T want high tempo play?), but it also shines a bit of light on one of his weaknesses.... his inability to adapt his style to the personnel he has.

I would think the players St. Louis has are more than capable of playing his style.

Unless he is burying some young promising player or not playing a good solid vet enough, I can't see how firing Yeo will fix what ails them.

Granted, I haven't watched a whole lot of Blues games this year, but from what I HAVE seen, it is a matter of player execution, and more specifically, the goaltending making stops.

Seriously. IMO, that's it.

Jake Allen makes stops he is supposed to, he inspires more confidence in his team and they can go about their business without worrying about looking over their shoulder....and probably execute better.

On the other hand, if they are executing like crap, then maybe the GOALIE puts pressure on himself to try pitching a shut out every night...then can't even stop the most basic shots.

Bottom line here is: Execution. And right now, the Blues just aren't doing it.

Not so sure the coach can be blamed for that.

I am not a huge Mike Yeo fan, but I also came to appreciate some of the things he expects out of his players.

He actually has sound game plans, but it is up to the players to realize them on the ice.

Only way I blame the coach is if he is not playing certain guys enough and continually running the same ol lineups out there while having the same results.

He did that at times in Minnesota, but when he was relieved, he actually owned up to that, and said he knew he had to 'grow' as a coach...and he sounded quite believable to me.

I'd like to think he took the St. Louis job knowing what can work and what doesn't after his first NHL job as head coach with the Wild.

If the players are "quitting" on Yeo, for WHATEVER reason, then shame on them!

It's not like they were circling the drain and needed some big jumpstart to be contenders again...they were at the top of their division and for a short time at the top of the league.

Why tank on a coach (even if you don't like him) when you have a legit shot at contention?

• 4 months later...

Mike Yeo is an ok guy, but at some point he kind of loses the team.  At least that's what happened in Minnesota with a dominant group of vets who call the shots.  They gave up on him and that was it.  Not sure if St. Louis gave up on him, but they've come close.  I am not sure if the Blues really know what they want.  

IMO Yeo doesn't really have a grasp of what a team needs so he gives his vets too much freedom to 'roam the prairie' in his scheme while holding the younger players liable for not filling in where the vets drop off. He has a penchant for forcing young players to do what they aren't comfortable with (round hole - square peg) and once they keep getting hung out to dry resentment among players sets in.

By the same token while giving the vets their freedom, they take on roles they really aren't that good at and in short order other teams pounce on those very weaknesses.

The term I used to define his coaching approach was 'scrambled eggs.'

14 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

IMO Yeo doesn't really have a grasp of what a team needs so he gives his vets too much freedom to 'roam the prairie' in his scheme while holding the younger players liable for not filling in where the vets drop off. He has a penchant for forcing young players to do what they aren't comfortable with (round hole - square peg) and once they keep getting hung out to dry resentment among players sets in.

By the same token while giving the vets their freedom, they take on roles they really aren't that good at and in short order other teams pounce on those very weaknesses.

The term I used to define his coaching approach was 'scrambled eggs.'

That sounds like a description of most of the recycled NHL "coaches".

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Yeo never demonstrated much in the way of innovation or genius.  I think teams bought into his time with the Penguins, saw an improbable Calder Cup run with Houston back in the day and felt they had found a hidden astute hockey mind.  While I think he wants his teams to play a tough style, I think he defers to the players and eventually the run the asylum.  It happened in Minnesota and we might be witnessing it happen in St. Louis sooner rather than later.  

• 2 months later...

Fire Yao already.  With this lineup they are right in the thick of things.  If they do not continue to win, which they have in I believe 2 of last 3, but have a far worse record than they should have, he should be shown the door.  IMO he should have never been given the shot this year.  I wonder if its a matter of "is there anther guy available?"  Why not Ruff or Quenville?  I believe Quenville did coach the Blues years ago however.  Lindy Ruff would be good but is an assistant with the Rangers.  I am sure that could be worked out. But here are other names out there also.  Yao must go

Archived