• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then.

Sam Donnellon

@samdonnellon
Follow Follow @samdonnellon
More
With overtime losses, Flyers are 35-35, have scored 205 goals and allowed 205 goals, are 17-18 at home and 18-17 on the road. As Bill Parrcells once said, you are what your record says you are. And that folks, is an impressive record of mediocrity

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But but but they won 10 games...

:VeryCool:

LOL yep. 

And they lost 10 as well. 

They could certainly get on a roll and win a series. Or they could be swept. Or something in between. 

Actually, you know what? I don't actually expect in between. This team seems to get mired quickly or get going and stay going until confidence fades.  Maybe it's by virtue of youth. Maybe it's not strong enough vet leadership, but this team is still too driven by emotion. 

Or maybe the talent (especially bottom 6, bottom 4,and goalie) is such that they are what they are and occasionally ride a wave. 

Not really sure what I think, but I guess I'm going with the last guess. 

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

LOL yep. 

And they lost 10 as well. 

They could certainly get on a roll and win a series. Or they could be swept. Or something in between. 

Actually, you know what? I don't actually expect in between. This team seems to get mired quickly or get going and stay going until confidence fades.  Maybe it's by virtue of youth. Maybe it's not strong enough vet leadership, but this team is still too driven by emotion. 

Or maybe the talent (especially bottom 6, bottom 4,and goalie) is such that they are what they are and occasionally ride a wave. 

Not really sure what I think, but I guess I'm going with the last guess. 

No if you look up mediocre in the dictionary it would list the 2017-18 Flyers.

They have some good vets, some young pieces and then several pieces of junk.

The junk is holding the team up and keeping them from working as a cohesive unit.

When the junk clears it will get better.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

My .02 on it.

All fair.  I’m not sure I’d move Couturier.  Just floating it out there.  My thinking would also be impacted by who the draw in the first round.  

1 hour ago, vis said:

All fair.  I’m not sure I’d move Couturier.  Just floating it out there.

Oh me neither. He has been playing well i think even though he hasn't been putting the puck in the net.

He will have to snap out his funk i think though for them to make the playoffs.

This season is a lost cause so I’m thinking about the draft. We need to make a bold move at the draft and speed up the rebuild.  Picking in the middle of the pack with our  two picks will get us a couple of good players,who will help us in. 2-3 years. I really think we need to make a trade and come away with a potentially great player that can help us sooner rather than later.  What will it take to move up and get either Schvechnikov, Zadina or Tkachuk. I believe these guys can help us big time. If Simmonds is going to be moved due to salary cap , then with our 2 first rounders and the assets we get for Simmonds,  we should be able to make a deal. I’m not saying you give up the farm, but if we can get a game changing winger , I would certainly look into a deal. Of the 3 players I mentioned has anyone seen them play, who looks the best for the Flyers to go after?

9 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

This season is a lost cause so I’m thinking about the draft. We need to make a bold move at the draft and speed up the rebuild.  Picking in the middle of the pack with our  two picks will get us a couple of good players,who will help us in. 2-3 years. I really think we need to make a trade and come away with a potentially great player that can help us sooner rather than later.  What will it take to move up and get either Schvechnikov, Zadina or Tkachuk. I believe these guys can help us big time. If Simmonds is going to be moved due to salary cap , then with our 2 first rounders and the assets we get for Simmonds,  we should be able to make a deal. I’m not saying you give up the farm, but if we can get a game changing winger , I would certainly look into a deal. Of the 3 players I mentioned has anyone seen them play, who looks the best for the Flyers to go after?

I believe those three players are all top five. Svechnikov is looking like a second overall pick. I'm not sure Simmonds and two later firsts is enough to land the second overall. I agree that would be a good trade to make, but I'm doubtful whoever has the second overall pick at the draft would be able to make it. I certainly wouldn't if I were whatever GM that will be.

The other two I'm not so sure about. The challenge with this of course is that Simmonds is coming up on what has arguably been his worst season since he came to Philly. I expect many teams who might consider adding him will be less willing to give up so much. Also, teams that would want his services are contending teams, and contending teams generally don't have top five picks.

10 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I might make that trade (2-1sts and Simmonds basically) for Svechnikov, not sure for Zadina...definitely not for Tkachuk.

Svechnikov looks like the whole package, and I've seen enough of him (he plays here) to believe he won't be back next season. He's ready and he's damn good. Zadina looks like he's a little behind Svechnikov to me. Tkachuk looks like a high floor, low ceiling player. I think he ends up being a good NHLer, but nothing great. We potentially could get that with one or both 1st round picks, and already have a better version of it with Simmonds.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I might make that trade (2-1sts and Simmonds basically) for Svechnikov, not sure for Zadina...definitely not for Tkachuk.

Svechnikov looks like the whole package, and I've seen enough of him (he plays here) to believe he won't be back next season. He's ready and he's damn good. Zadina looks like he's a little behind Svechnikov to me. Tkachuk looks like a high floor, low ceiling player. I think he ends up being a good NHLer, but nothing great. We potentially could get that with one or both 1st round picks, and already have a better version of it with Simmonds.

Realistically, that would be making a trade with either Arizona, Buffalo, Vancouver or Ottawa.

Which of those are more likely to part with a top 3 pick for two middle-to-late 1st rounders and Simmonds?

Put another way, would Hextall have given up the #2 overall in Patrick for a #14, #18, and a guy like Simmonds?

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Realistically, that would be making a trade with either Arizona, Buffalo, Vancouver or Ottawa.

Which of those are more likely to part with a top 3 pick for two middle-to-late 1st rounders and Simmonds?

Put another way, would Hextall have given up the #2 overall in Patrick for a #14, #18, and a guy like Simmonds?

Probably not.

My guess is you're likely dealing Simmonds for another 1st and a good prospect before swinging that deal, so it's 3-1sts and a prospect. I'd say that's tempting. But again, I'm only for doing it if it's for the 2nd overall.

32 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Probably not.

My guess is you're likely dealing Simmonds for another 1st and a good prospect before swinging that deal, so it's 3-1sts and a prospect. I'd say that's tempting. But again, I'm only for doing it if it's for the 2nd overall.

I do think the Flyers are now in a position where it makes sense to deal multiple assets for one of higher quality.  I'd honestly think the best partner to hope for might be Buffalo. They need D, which the Flyers have a pretty good pool of prospects, and probably think they are closer to competing than any of the other teams @brelic mentioned, so may have interest in Simmonds himself. 

Can Svechnikov play on the left? 

Given how noticeably important top three picks are in building a contending team, I have to think it very unlikely any of the teams with 1-2-3 picks will part with it barring some form of considerable overpayment. As far as Simmonds goes, he may well get traded, but I'm very doubtful it would be to a bottom dwelling team. 

What appreciable impact would Simmonds have on Buffalo's roster? or Ottawa? or Arizona? It just wouldn't make sense.

If Simmonds moves, it's highly unlikely to be to any of those teams. It'll be to an Anaheim or Dallas or Winnipeg. Some team that feels their window for a cup is open now and who doesn't mind losing out on picks and prospects to get it done. Of course, none of those teams will have anything close to a top three pick.

I can totally see Simmonds be moved. In fact, it would probably be the best option. I just don't think the return of a top three pick is in the cards. Basically, we'd have to deal Giroux or Patrick or Provo for that high of a pick, which would be a terrible terrible idea.

23 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I do think the Flyers are now in a position where it makes sense to deal multiple assets for one of higher quality.  I'd honestly think the best partner to hope for might be Buffalo. They need D, which the Flyers have a pretty good pool of prospects, and probably think they are closer to competing than any of the other teams @brelic mentioned, so may have interest in Simmonds himself. 

Can Svechnikov play on the left? 

I agree if the right situation arises we could make a quantity for quality deal. Also agree on Buffalo, though they'd be salivating at having Svechnikov on Eichels wing. But they also need D as you mentioned, and depth.

Svechnikov plays the right side and shoots left. His shot is very hard, accurate and quick. I think you move someone else.

31 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree if the right situation arises we could make a quantity for quality deal. Also agree on Buffalo, though they'd be salivating at having Svechnikov on Eichels wing. But they also need D as you mentioned, and depth.

Svechnikov plays the right side and shoots left. His shot is very hard, accurate and quick. I think you move someone else.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the Habs will jump to #2. We have any wingers we could tell them is a 1C?

28 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Maybe we'll get lucky and the Habs will jump to #2. We have any wingers we could tell them is a 1C?

We'll tell them Weise is a french name. That makes him a 1C in their books.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I'll leave that scouting report for Wahlstrom.

Lol, your penchant for punning is positively preposterous!

Although, this doesn't even  come close to the Cambodia post, which is all-world genius.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I might make that trade (2-1sts and Simmonds basically) for Svechnikov

I hate to trade a heart and soul guy like Simmer and i have watch a lot of film on Svech....and i think i agree to i make that trade.

You're a Cols guy so you have seen him a lot so if you say you would do i would then too.

You have to fish with as many poles as you can get in the water....than you are bound to land a big one...do it!

44 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, your penchant for punning is positively preposterous!

Although, this doesn't even  come close to the Cambodia post, which is all-world genius.

I'm willing Tibet you're making fun of me. Ukraine take your attitude elsewhere, mister.

Let’s keep in mind , the pressure is on management in Buffalo and Arizona to make some improvement , as they have been horrible for far too long. A team that has next to nothing for a roster except for 2 or 3 players might like the idea of having 3 first round picks to grab a few more player and improve overall depth instead of having one dominant guy. In my initial post I said use our 2 firsts and the “assets” we get for Simmonds. So Simmonds would be traded somewhere else first. 3 first rounders for the 2nd pick is fair, this isn’t Eric Lindros you are trading for.

Archived