Flyers at 3/4 Mark: An Assessment

Howie58

I'll tell ya one thing - this offseason will be interesting for sure. 

We're reaching the point where Hextall needs to make moves at both the NHL and AHL level just to make sure the best prospects / players have roster spots.

My guess is that Weal gets dealt in the offseason. Possibly Simmonds too. Maybe one of those trades includes Weise (or he gets bought out / buried). Lehtera, I'd guess he'll be on the 4th line. Yes, he's overpaid - but if he can play the way he's played over the past month and a half, he's a useful bottom line player. Let him play out the season, then we're done with him.

So if Vorobyov and Vecchione graduate to the Flyers, that opens up two center spots for Rubtsov, Laczsynski, Bunnaman and Marody. Marody is older so he may make the jump to pro over Laczynski.

On wing, they'll add Twarynski, Laberge, and possibly Allison if he goes pro. 

The Flyers could very well look like:

G/Coots/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Raffl/Vorobyev/Aube-Kubel

Lehtera/Vecchione/Laughton

Looking at a logjam!

Defense ain't much easier.

Provorov/Ghost

Sanheim/MacDonald

Morin/Hagg

Gudas

Myers

On the Phantoms

Wilcox

Friedman

Kalynuk

Hogberg

Bernhardt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt know Bellows can't skate, I just heard he was scoring lots of goals. I know it's a different game today but Kerr, Esposito and Andreychuk couldn't skate, but they sure could score goals.  Bellows had 9 goals in 7 games at WJC. 

14 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

. I know it's a different game today but Kerr, Esposito and Andreychuk couldn't skate, but they sure could score goals.

yeah it is funny, would those guys be considered bad prospects by today's scouting ?  That Strome kid has really good hands and is huge, but can't skate a lick, I wonder if the same would be said about Andreychuk if he were a junior player today ?

you know who I think is going to start scoring some goals and then look the f out is Oscar Lindblom. 

That dude looks like an aircraft carrier and he has terrific hands, appears to be smart as hell. Skates okay too, someone said it here or somewhere else, once he gets one... Edit Heck it was you that said it...needless to say I agree!

Lots of good thoughts in this thread, many of which I agree with.  

I've said a bunch of times, I'm pleased that Hakstol has gotten as much as he has out of this roster this season.  They have overcome the bottom six, third pairing and sometimes shoddy goaltending.  Even if the team is not better than 15-16 (I think it is), it's trajectory is certainly more promising.  They have fared much better, individually and as team, than I thought they would coming into the year.

Hate to be a downer, but the one thing I worry about is timing.  I think most believe that the Flyers will be "legit" contenders in a few years, if not more (at least I do).  But is it realistic for Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds to still be producing in three-five years at the levels at which they are producing at today?  When I look forward, I have to remind myself that those guys won't be the same players as they are today.  And assuming they are not producing at that level, are guys like Patrick, Konecny, Lindblom and Frost able to pick up the difference?  Is Couturier going to continue to be a legit 1C?  (In the last little while he hasn't been, btw.)  The flip side is that the defense should be improved by then with Hagg getting more experience and Sanheim/Morin hopefully rounding into legit NHLers.  And hopefully the goaltending irons itself out when Carter Hart steps in.

To maximize things, I think 2019/20 is a big year.  Nearly all the bottom six crap will be off the roster (except Weise).  Though Konecny, Provorov and Sanheim will be RFAs the summer before (and Hagg and Morin the summer before that).  That may be the perfect year when the current Big Three are still productive and the young guys are taking over and really start coming together.  It's also the year I expect Carter Hart to be the starter.  Once you get beyond that year, I start to wonder what Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds can contribute and when the difference might be made up.  Lots can happen between then and now, obviously...

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, for sure. Neuvy clearly isn't the guy either. In both cases, the season was destined to be tinged with subpar goaltending.

That said, it goes to show how great the team has been. While they have had bad stretches, they've also had stellar runs, and that despite very weak goaltending all season long. That says something about the talent and skill we currently have imo.

Ebbs and flows of a young team learning on the job.

54 minutes ago, vis said:

But is it realistic for Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds to still be producing in three-five years at the levels at which they are producing at today?  When I look forward, I have to remind myself that those guys won't be the same players as they are today.  And assuming they are not producing at that level, are guys like Patrick, Konecny, Lindblom and Frost able to pick up the difference?  Is Couturier going to continue to be a legit 1C?  (In the last little while he hasn't been, btw.) 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmonds traded over the summer, as he only has one more year on his contract.

Also, even though I'm a Couturier fan, I can see patrick being the 1C next season, not Couturier.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Myers

Do you think Myers makes the team out of camp? My guess is honestly no. I think Sanheim and Morin do, and that's about it. 

I guess Sanheim is with the big team now, but still.

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmonds traded over the summer, as he only has one more year on his contract.

Also, even though I'm a Couturier fan, I can see patrick being the 1C next season, not Couturier.

Fair points on both.  Tough decision on what to do with Simmonds.  He'll likely get a great deal in FA, but he probably would net a nice return in a trade.  If he's dealt, I would think it would be over summer and maybe at the draft.  I would be surprised if they dealt him at the deadline next year, especially since they probably should be in the PO hunt if this year is any indication.

I could see Patrick getting promoted to top line status.  In any event, I do think they need a legitimate third center.  I'm not sure Frost or Vorobyev will be ready to effectively step in next year.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Do you think Myers makes the team out of camp? My guess is honestly no. I think Sanheim and Morin do, and that's about it. 

I guess Sanheim is with the big team now, but still.

I don’t think he’ll be be on the roster on opening night. My guess is a mid season callup. 

5 hours ago, vis said:

But is it realistic for Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds to still be producing in three-five years at the levels at which they are producing at today?  When I look forward, I have to remind myself that those guys won't be the same players as they are today.

When those three get a little slower, the Flyers can just bring in Jagr to fill one of their spots :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

17 hours ago, vis said:

Fair points on both.  Tough decision on what to do with Simmonds.  He'll likely get a great deal in FA, but he probably would net a nice return in a trade.  If he's dealt, I would think it would be over summer and maybe at the draft.  I would be surprised if they dealt him at the deadline next year, especially since they probably should be in the PO hunt if this year is any indication.

I could see Patrick getting promoted to top line status.  In any event, I do think they need a legitimate third center.  I'm not sure Frost or Vorobyev will be ready to effectively step in next year.

Laughton should be the 3rd line center right now. This is the perfect opportunity to see if he can handle it. 

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Laughton should be the 3rd line center right now. This is the perfect opportunity to see if he can handle it. 

They've given him some spot duty.  Not much of an impact.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:38 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah they got Ruby and Laberge for trading back.

Obviously the Flyers liked Ruby more than Bellows and another young center to boot.

As i said also Bellows hasn't done anything yet he is in juniors like the Ruby and Laberge still.

Too early still to claim anyone a winner/loser in that.

For the record i'm ok with it.

This.  It's possibly Rubstov's fortunes changed when we moved up to get Patrick.   He may end up on wing or part of a package for something.   Bellows is scoring well in the WHA, but doesn't everyone?  I mean, Dan Kordic scored 23 points in a season his last year in the WHA.  He scored 17 in parts of 6 seasons with the Flyers.    

I don't have anything against Bellows.   I hope he does well.   I think we did okay in that exchange, though.

28 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Yet they've given Filppula chance after chance and he sucks 

You're not alone in saying this, but I think he's been okay.  I don't resign him if it's up to me and I walk away from the $5M salary, but he hasn't been all that horrible. He's really only ever been "okay."    I think you could do similar with a kid for a lot less money, and hopefully that's what they do.   But he's the among the least of my concerns.

Gun to my head and I have to choose between Filppula, Weis, Lehtera, Weal, or Read, I'll take the shot in the head...er....no, I meant Filppula.  Really.

5 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Yet they've given Filppula chance after chance and he sucks 

In Hakstol's world, vet gets the benefit of the doubt.  I would like to see Laughton get a chance, but strikes me as a lateral move in the long run.

8 hours ago, vis said:

I would like to see Laughton get a chance, but strikes me as a lateral move in the long run.

Maybe. But it could get the line going too. Bottom line points or not Laughton is hands down faster and more physical than Filppula, in fact everything he can do  Scott better.

Laughton has 10 goals all 5 on 5.

For comparison Simmer has 11. Giroux only 17. Jake has 11. Filppula only 7 5 on 5.

So give the guy a chance i mean put him there the rest of the season.

Drop Filppula to the 4th which i don't think he is cut out for but put him there till you want to scratch him.

I mean Laughton is only 23 look he still has room to grow.

Fil is what he is a soft floater who pitches in here and there when it suits him.

In 5 and half more minutes a game Fil only has 11 points more than Laughton.

Give the kid a try........nothing ventured nothing gained.

SHOOT THE DAMN THING!!!!!!!:beer:

@OccamsRazor

I have no problem giving him a shot.  Would certainly like to see him over Filppula at this point.  However, I’m just not sure it would be a meaningful upgrade, especially for PO purposes.  So, it’s not a question of Laughton vs Filppula for me.  It’s whether either of them provides enough depth for matchup purposes in the POs or whether it would be better moving Couturier onto that line.  

40 minutes ago, vis said:

It’s whether either of them provides enough depth for matchup purposes in the POs or whether it would be better moving Couturier onto that line.  

I wouldn't move Coots he get off the snide.

I would be open to reuniting them with Jake and putting TK on the line.

Just to see if it don't look good twitch em back.

I think down the middle i just like this best:

Coots

Patrick

Laughton

Fil

Go with that. If it stanks you can move guys around.

My .02 on it.

For those who like Corsi: Filpulla is at 40.40 CF% since the beginning of February, Laughton 51.99%.

For those who like goals: both have 6 on-ice GF, 11 GA

Laughton may not be an upgrade, but he certainly can't be worse. 

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

For those who like Corsi: Filpulla is at 40.40 CF% since the beginning of February, Laughton 51.99%.

For those who like goals: both have 6 on-ice GF, 11 GA

Where do you get the split stats for Corsi?

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Where do you get the split stats for Corsi?

Naturalstattrick.com

filter for team and date range. You need to put in both dates to get the correct output, you can't just put in a start date if you want everything until current.

14 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Exactly one thing i know is Laughton gets from point A to point B much quicker than Filppula.

And they are very close in faceoff percentage so there wouldn't be a drop off.

Myself i would be ok with a 4th line of:

Leier/Lehtera/Read

Just because i don't think Fil would be happy not effective in the 4th line role.

But hey give him a chance i guess first.

Archived