Game 70: Vegas GK at Flyers: 3/12/18 @ 7 PM

Howie58

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#47 & #51 on the ice together with 3 minutes left and just getting totally outhustled in their own end. Pathetic really. Why are they on the ice in that situation? Why do they wear A's on the sweaters when they clearly don't give a ****? That is the state of the Flyers right now. They should both be healthy scratch next game after that shift. When you are supposed to be a leader and you get whooped on like that!

Keystone Kops Gudas and Mcdud of course can't clear the goddamn zone...and of course just shoot high on Mrazek.

Man when Mrazek leaves a rebound he leaves a rebound.

There goes 2 points down the shi tter!

Jackets win and jup the idle Devils and are now two points behind the Flyers.

Guess who play next game?? Yep Jackets and Flyers.

Going to find out what this soft ass team is made i guess. 

>> #47 & #51 on the ice together with 3 minutes left and just getting totally outhustled 

Agree but who would you put out there?   Our D plays 5 on 5 like it's a power play against them... if you play soft the entire game, you'll play the last 3 the same way.  Our coach demands nothing... and normally that's what he gets.

50 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

He shot and scored last game. He shot and scored tonight. 

While it's true that "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take," and "it's never wrong to shoot" it's also true that 16.66% of shots you attempt to take from the top of the circle don't get thorough (because one or more of five guys are trying to block or otherwise get in the fukkin' way). Of these, 66% result in an odd-man rush (half of which are 2-on-1s). Of these, some end up in the net.

So, while 100% of shots that you do take do not get blocked 100% of the time, they still end up in your net too bloody much!

Yelling "SHOOT" is not enough of a perspective. There's lots of reasons to not shoot. All the time. 

And I agree with you! Get pucks to the net. Always. 

Except when you shouldn't.

EDIT: SHOOT THE ****** PUCK!!!!

So, 50% of the 66% are 2 on 1s 100% of the time?  Did I get that right?  :IDunnoSmiley:

This is the time of year where it's really gut check time and so far I think our team needs to go find some.

And hint for the coach... next time call timeout when you see the D starting to get rolled... not AFTER they get rolled.  Call time, give the guys a rest... put your best D out there and secure the one damn point.  

Well, let's think on the bright side.... if they don't make the playoffs there's at least a 10 percent change Hex will pull the trigger on a real coach.  If I knew that was going to happen I'd tank the season.

Would have loved to hear coach knobjob as he was drawing up a play during the time out. “Jake you pass to Ghost who passes to G who passes back to Jake who passes to Simmer. Simmer passes back the G who will send a pass back to Ghost.”

I didn't see the game.  The highlights noted Fleury made 38 saves so the Flyers had 40 shots on net.  I have no idea if they were good chances or not but that does seem like a healthy number of shots.

Man did Gudas get beat coming out of the corner on that last goal.  So close to at least one point...shame. 

4 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

I didn't see the game.  The highlights noted Fleury made 38 saves so the Flyers had 40 shots on net.  I have no idea if they were good chances or not but that does seem like a healthy number of shots.

Off the Post and Others:

Here is the box score. 

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20172018/GS021064.HTM

Fleury was not one of the stars. He made some remarkable saves but most of the shots weren't that tough.  This is part of the madness we have seen all season--we outshoot our opponent, and lose!

Las Vegas can swarm.  And unlike our cadre, Vegas knows how to put the puck away from in front.  Mrazek had a juicy rebound that led to Karllson's goal, but I would not fault him otherwise.  Our D wasn't very good.  Other than the first line--who scores?  Having PEB get his ninth assist of the year on the winning goal...OMG.

I saw one of our draft picks was given an ELC...from Belarus.  Sadly, he will be away a few years...we need some youngsters with speed and skill who can swarm and attack like Vegas.

Kudos to George McPhee...he seems to have made some very good roster decisions. 

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Mrazek had a juicy rebound

Uh which one he leaves so many....this is a big issue that will only get worse when the pressure goes up in the playoffs(that is if they make it) i say get healthy Elliott this team needs you.

This defense is terrible if Ivan and Ghost are not out there. Sanheim sadly doesn't have a good defenseman to show him the ropes.

I hope when Hagg comes back they scratch Manning and leave Sanheim here.

Las Vegas can swarm. 

They can and it is about go up, the pressure that is. The Jackets are coming in 2 points behind the Flyers and they have won 5 straight.

7-3-0 in their last 10.

Flyers better rest up or practice or what else excuse they want to use because by this time next week they could be outside the playoffs looking in.

Sorry i don't have a good feeling about this....i've seen them squander to many games/points this year they should of had.

No one to blame but themselves.

Gut check time!

Having PEB get his ninth assist of the year on the winning goal...OMG.

Yeah i agree. Seeing Mcdud and Gudas out there on the ice for the GWer looking lost as hell just made me nauseous! 

I wish and pray next year they start without Manning or Mcud on the team.......what a relief that would be.

Please buy out Mcdud!!!

It was a scrum in the corner and they play a good triangle down low and we knew that before the game,” defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere said. “We just needed a little winger support, and they made a great play.”

Yep because we know Mrazek gets way out of position on the other side of the crease and can never recover just watch the film and what do they do leave the back door open everytime!

And please for the love of God get that scared-to-shoot-damn-puck-from-anywhere Filappula off the 3rd line center spot and give it to Laughton.

It will give Raffl and Simmer some more speed to work with plus another shooting threat when they pass it to him. Instead some guy who is going to play soft on the puck or just pass it back to them.

Laughton will shoot the puck and he has a nice wrist shot give him more minutes and a bigger role.

Thank you rant over!!! 

:rage:

Overall, I thought the Flyers played well. They hung with Vegas all game, and in fact probably had a slight edge in territorial play 5v5. 

Basically, the failure of our PP and PK was the difference in the game. Vegas went 2/2 on the PP and we went 1/4.

A few observations from the game..

- Mrazek was good and made a number of big saves that kept the game close... but his rebound control is a definite problem. It probably turned a bunch of routine stops into adventures. I wonder if Clark Griswold made his pads with his new ultra-bouncy padding material. 

- Giroux is a special player. @elmatus and I were talking about that last night. There are so many things he does on a nightly basis that don't even get noticed, but when you see them, your jaw drops. One of the most talented Flyer I've ever watched. He's doing everything he can to lead this team to drink... but when you're dragging asses instead of horses.... it ain't so easy.

- That being said, his line is the only one generating anything with regularity. Last night's point-getters - G, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Ghost, Simmer. Patrick and his line also chip in, but outside of that... crickets.

- So, Lindblom. How long until he officially becomes Raffl? Kidding. The kid looks like he will score in bunches. I can't believe he didn't pot two last night.

- Sanheim's looked good. I wonder if there's any chance he replaces Manning once Hagg is healthy.

- Flyers had at least two great chances to score that were blown because of overpassing. More worrisome is that TK has now picked up that habit and has been guilty of that a lot lately.

Can't be too upset with losing to one of the best teams in the NHL because of special teams. That's on us, not them. We controlled most of the game 5v5. 

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

Basically, the failure of our PP and PK was the difference in the game. Vegas went 2/2 on the PP and we went 1/4.

Sure that on top of getting out coached.

Applaud Hak for taking a time out but it's timing that is straight up terrible.

It's the equivalent of applying a tourniquet once the person has bleed out. Pointless!

Why at such a crucial moment do you have Gudas, Mcdud and Filppula out there at the end for the GWer that was scored???

Take a goddamn time out rest your guys and get them out there! 

Play for the point at least get something for the effort instead they let even that slip away.

When will he learn?

You're at home you get last line change.

These last minute points lost (no less than 2) vs Bruins and Knights may come back to haunt them.

I hope i'm wrong.

43 minutes ago, brelic said:

Overall, I thought the Flyers played well. They hung with Vegas all game, and in fact probably had a slight edge in territorial play 5v5. 

A few observations from the game..

- Mrazek was good and made a number of big saves that kept the game close... but his rebound control is a definite problem. It probably turned a bunch of routine stops into adventures. I wonder if Clark Griswold made his pads with his new ultra-bouncy padding material. 

- Giroux is a special player. @elmatus and I were talking about that last night. There are so many things he does on a nightly basis that don't even get noticed, but when you see them, your jaw drops. One of the most talented Flyer I've ever watched. He's doing everything he can to lead this team to drink... but when you're dragging asses instead of horses.... it ain't so easy.

- That being said, his line is the only one generating anything with regularity. Last night's point-getters - G, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Ghost, Simmer. Patrick and his line also chip in, but outside of that... crickets.

- So, Lindblom. How long until he officially becomes Raffl? Kidding. The kid looks like he will score in bunches. I can't believe he didn't pot two last night.

- Sanheim's looked good. I wonder if there's any chance he replaces Manning once Hagg is healthy.

- Flyers had at least two great chances to score that were blown because of overpassing. More worrisome is that TK has now picked up that habit and has been guilty of that a lot lately.

Can't be too upset with losing to one of the best teams in the NHL because of special teams. That's on us, not them. We controlled most of the game 5v5. 

Yeah, spot on.

I do think we have the makings of an effective top two lines, but the bottom six is all kinds of meh.

Vegas does not let up. They may not wow you with highlight reel plays and skill, but they have players on all four lines who can make life miserable for whatever match up they happen to be facing. 

That said, I did find our bottom six to be very responsible. They didn't make it easy and did find ways to move the puck around. They just don't have any amount of offensive talent to actually make anything happen when in a scoring situation.

As far as our defense goes, Gudas must have gotten his pocket picked 3-4 times by Vegas forecheckers. He's not usually that bad at getting the puck out, but they stuck to him like glue and forced giveaways on several shifts. They did that to McDud and Manning as well, but that's sort of to be expected. Gudas is not usually that guy, but Vegas put more pressure on him than he could handle. Unfortunately, that type of dogged pressure is the calling card of playoff hockey, which tells me we can expect more of that come the off season.

Manning... I dunno man. It gets harder and harder to watch him each game. It seems obvious to me that he *wants* to play. He goes out and gives everything he's got every shift. I'll commend him for that for sure. The problem is he just doesn't have the skill to pull off what he so desperately wants to pull off. In the end, his shots virtually never hit the net. His passes barely reach their intended target. His skating just can't seem to keep up with opposing rushers. I just... I get it, but he just needs to stop and simplify.

Thankfully, the cavalry will soon make the Mannings and Gudases expendable. But for now, you'll all have to forgive me if I feel the need to hide my eyes at times.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, spot on.

I do think we have the makings of an effective top two lines, but the bottom six is all kinds of meh.

Vegas does not let up. They may not wow you with highlight reel plays and skill, but they have players on all four lines who can make life miserable for whatever match up they happen to be facing. 

That said, I did find our bottom six to be very responsible. They didn't make it easy and did find ways to move the puck around. They just don't have any amount of offensive talent to actually make anything happen when in a scoring situation.

As far as our defense goes, Gudas must have gotten his pocket picked 3-4 times by Vegas forecheckers. He's not usually that bad at getting the puck out, but they stuck to him like glue and forced giveaways on several shifts. They did that to McDud and Manning as well, but that's sort of to be expected. Gudas is not usually that guy, but Vegas put more pressure on him than he could handle. Unfortunately, that type of dogged pressure is the calling card of playoff hockey, which tells me we can expect more of that come the off season.

Manning... I dunno man. It gets harder and harder to watch him each game. It seems obvious to me that he *wants* to play. He goes out and gives everything he's got every shift. I'll commend him for that for sure. The problem is he just doesn't have the skill to pull off what he so desperately wants to pull off. In the end, his shots virtually never hit the net. His passes barely reach their intended target. His skating just can't seem to keep up with opposing rushers. I just... I get it, but he just needs to stop and simplify.

Thankfully, the cavalry will soon make the Mannings and Gudases expendable. But for now, you'll all have to forgive me if I feel the need to hide my eyes at times.

Re: bottom 6 -

FIlppula, 14 points in last 30 gp

Laughton, 8 points in his last 30 gp

Raffl, 6 points in his last 30 gp (0 pts in his last 13 gp and -4). Do the last 13 coincide with being moved to Filppula's line?

Weal, 3 points in his last 20 gp (8 pts in last 30 gp)

Leier, 3 points in his last 30 gp (-7)

Lehtera, 5 points in his last 30 gp

Weise, 5 points in last 30 gp

Read, 0 points in 7 gp

So basically, we have no depth beyond our top 6 and Simmer and Filppula - but Filppula has other issues.

Defensively, our bottom 6 has also fared poorly in their matchups quite often.

EDIT - Made a mistake on Laughton's totals... 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

agree.  Even against the Jets his rebound control and penchant for getting out of position were on display.  Not a good combination.  I doubt he will be resigned.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Amazing year for him.  Team MVP and should get some league MVP whispers as well.  However, there are a lot of names in that conversation.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Wish he would get one.  Need him to become a threat on that second line.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

He has and he should.  He's had a couple of miscues, but overall I think he brings more to the table than Manning.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Was furious when he passed on that chance in the third when Giroux fed him.  I get that it might have been hard to shoot since he was on his forehand, but it would have been better than trying to pass across his body into the crowded center of the ice.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

PK killed them again.  Lappy needs to be fired.

I see people blaming McDonald on the third goal, but that was a total team effort.  Simmonds lost the board battle (wasn't much of one) against Bellemarre of all people and then Filppula ends up on the wrong side of the puck for some unknown reason.  Then Gudas got abused by Bellemarre trying to play the puck instead of taking the body.  Filppula (again) made a weak attempt by reaching for the puck.  MacDonald was protecting the post down low and couldn't get out to Carpenter in time.  Plus, for some reason, Simmonds was stapled to the wall and didn't stay with Carpenter (maybe he was thinking the Flyers would regain control and clear up the boards).  They had so many chances to stop that play from happening and failed in every way.  Total defensive failure.  

Archived