Jump to content
×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
Howie58

Game 70: Vegas GK at Flyers: 3/12/18 @ 7 PM

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Or Read. 

Thumbnail

 

Sorry but i have like Read back in the lineup and he has been more noticable and effective than Filppula.

 

He has impressed me even though he don't have the the points to show for it.

 

Filppula just seems to not care most times like he is going through the motions and is going to fight hard for the puck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Thumbnail

 

Sorry but i have like Read back in the lineup and he has been more noticable and effective than Filppula.

 

He has impressed me even though he don't have the the points to show for it.

 

Filppula just seems to not care most times like he is going through the motions and is going to fight hard for the puck.

Hmm. I don't get that from Filppula. Not arguing, we're just seeing something different. 

 

And I don't have any tolerance for Read. I'll completely forget about him 5 minutes after he leaves. 

 

Same with Filppula with the forgetting about him. I wonder if Filppula was expecting to move at the deadline and the flyers went and made themselves competitive and ruined his plans. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Hmm. I don't get that from Filppula

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He doesn't piss me off like VLC or Umberger, though. So, if he plays I'm not yelling. And I don't mind him starting ahead of Weise or Weal.

this 

Weise has been a bust from the drop in Philly, at least Weal showed something in garbage time last season. He can't find the space this year and doesn't have the speed to get to his spots and still be in control.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brelic said:

I was just showing that Laughton was getting closer to 3C minutes for a stretch, and it was working well. He was chipping in offensively, too. 4 points over the stretch of 11 games - but I can’t remember if his line was matching up against top 2 lines or if it was Filppula.

I see he's been a -4 this month, presumably after moving back to the "4th" line.  I honestly can't recall when he was 3rd line vs. 4th line.  I know that there was a time when he was considered 3rd line, but can't recall which games.  My recollection is that when he was on the "3rd" line, the team was playing well in general.  I'm more likely to call that correlation than causation.  Btw, are you defining 3rd vs. 4th in terms of minutes played vs. linemates?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Podein25 said:

 

Sure, turn Coots back into a checking center after he finally discovers his offense.

He seems to have lost some of that offense over the last 25GP.  In that span, he has only 2G scored 5v5 (he has 3G total over that period).  He's still getting assists with 10A at 5v5 during the period, though.  By comparison, he had 14G and 10A at 5v5 before then.

 

It's not that I want to turn him back to a checking center (again, I'm reluctant to break up that line), but they might need to change some things given how the bottom six has fared.  And  I'm thinking ahead to the POs when matchups become important.  Simply said, they lack depth (offensively and defensively).  Putting Couturier back at center would help to address that issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vis said:

He seems to have lost some of that offense over the last 25GP.  In that span, he has only 2G scored 5v5 (he has 3G total over that period).  He's still getting assists with 10A at 5v5 during the period, though.  By comparison, he had 14G and 10A at 5v5 before then.

 

He is the poster child for what the whole team is doing the last month to six weeks:    Pass first.

 

Earlier, when Coots was having some success, he was shooting, crashing the net, and banging in rebounds.   The whole stinking team has become allergic to the net and want to find someone, anyone, to pass to.  Nevermind that there are 5 defenders, a goalie, and a division 1 lacrosse team in between them and whomever they're passing to.  It's like they've all gotten Voracek Syndrome.

 

SHOOT THE DAMN THING AND FOLLOW YOUR SHOT.  YOU'RE NOT IN PEEWEE; WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SAY THIS!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Earlier, when Coots was having some success, he was shooting, crashing the net, and banging in rebounds

He looks like a completely different player.  I don't know what happened, but whatever spirit possessed his body in the beginning of the year has left him.  And it's not just offensively.  He's had some struggles (by his standards) defensively as well.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The whole stinking team has become allergic to the net and want to find someone, anyone, to pass to.  Nevermind that there are 5 defenders, a goalie, and a division 1 lacrosse team in between them and whomever they're passing to.  It's like they've all gotten Voracek Syndrome.

 

SHOOT THE DAMN THING AND FOLLOW YOUR SHOT.  YOU'RE NOT IN PEEWEE; WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SAY THIS!

"We gotta just keep working hard, get pucks deep, get pucks in the net and, y'know, win some hockey games."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vis said:

 

He looks like a completely different player.  I don't know what happened, but whatever spirit possessed his body in the beginning of the year has left him.  And it's not just offensively.  He's had some struggles (by his standards) defensively as well.

"We gotta just keep working hard, get pucks deep, get pucks in the net and, y'know, win some hockey games."

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

 

Classic.  Wish we could get Letterkenny down here.   I watch clips on YouTube, but have never seen a full episode.  Can’t even stream it.  Even tried Kodi, but couldn’t find it.  If anyone knows how to get it, please let me know.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Podein25 said:

 

So, a multi-million extension is in order I guess, eh?

Jody Shelley says Hey!:IDunnoSmiley:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, vis said:

I see he's been a -4 this month, presumably after moving back to the "4th" line.  I honestly can't recall when he was 3rd line vs. 4th line.  I know that there was a time when he was considered 3rd line, but can't recall which games.  My recollection is that when he was on the "3rd" line, the team was playing well in general.  I'm more likely to call that correlation than causation.  Btw, are you defining 3rd vs. 4th in terms of minutes played vs. linemates?

 

 

Yes, the team was playing well in general, so it's hard to determine Laughton's line and their role. I agree, it's more correlation than causation. And the TOI graph was to show that Filppula's time has been increasing at the expense of Laughton lately - and Hak has been matching up VF's line with other top lines with mediocre to terrible results. 

 

I think there are better matchups that can be put out there, and I don't recall Laughton's line being hemmed in their own zone as much as Filp's.... though their linemates change often, so it's hard to pinpoint what's happening.

 

In the end, I know what you mean about going G/Patrick/Coots/Laughton down the middle. It's a stronger center lineup. It might work.

 

Raffl/G/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Filppula or Weal/Couturier/Simmonds

Lehtera/Laughton/Read or Leier

 

While we're on the topic of spreading the wealth... 

 

Provorov/MacDonald

Ghost/Hagg

Sanheim/Gudas

Manning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, brelic said:

In the end, I know what you mean about going G/Patrick/Coots/Laughton down the middle. It's a stronger center lineup. It might work.

 

Raffl/G/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Filppula or Weal/Couturier/Simmonds

Lehtera/Laughton/Read or Leier

 

I know you and vis are just throwing stuff out there, but that's a horrible lineup, IMO.   Keep the top six and work on the rest for next year.

Filppula and Read will be gone.   If either is extended, my head might explode.   I could see them signing Filppula for a 1-2 year at a vast pay cut.   I said I could see it.  I'm not saying I'd like it.   I doubt it, though.

 

Any suggestion that includes Raffl on the top line makes my head hurt and makes me nauseated.   Stop with top 6 minutes for Raffl.  I know, I know, I know.  He can play any position and slide up and down.  So can Stormy Daniels.  I don't want either of them anywhere near the top line.

 

I also, frankly, don't want Giroux back at center.   There's a reason why he's been better this year than he has for several:  because they put him back where he belongs.  On wing.

 

Giroux - Couturier - TK

Lindblom - Patrick / Voracek

Filppula - Laughton - Simmonds

Read - Lehtera - Leier

 

And leave it alone.  Put a note in the suggestion box that Hakstol just leave the stinking lines alone.

 

If you're feeling really saucy, flip Patrick and Couturier.   I'm wondering about Couturier's diminished offense and the timing of the move of Voracek off of his line.   I haven't looked and I don't think the cause/effect was immediate, but I'm wondering about TK's penchant for going to the net and slot area and causing havoc.  That's a good thing, but it was previously kind of Couturier's thing.  You put him back with Lindblom and Voracek, and you have two faceoff circle/halfboards players and Couturier to play in the slot.    I think Giroux/Patrick/TK would be suspect on defense so that's the danger, but maybe you morph the lines depending upon whether you get the lead or are playing from behind.   Oh wait, that would me adaptation by the coach during a game.  What was I thinking?

Edited by ruxpin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Hmm. I don't get that from Filppula. Not arguing, we're just seeing something different. 

 

And I don't have any tolerance for Read. I'll completely forget about him 5 minutes after he leaves. 

 

Same with Filppula with the forgetting about him. I wonder if Filppula was expecting to move at the deadline and the flyers went and made themselves competitive and ruined his plans. 

 

I agree on both points. I have solid respect for Read. He was a soldier for us for some years and played reasonably well over that time. He never really lived up to contract expectations, but he was nonetheless a good mid to bottom six player over his time. He was defensively responsible, and he has always had decent finishing ability. 

 

That said, his time is done. I do understand the call up to play out the season. I do believe he's better still than Weise, so if the choice is between those two, I'd give Read the spot for sure. It isn't just between those two of course, which is where things get a bit messy for him. For the most part, he just isn't an effective NHL player anymore. Again, I respect the guy, but there comes a time when playing in this caliber of a hockey league just doesn't work anymore for a guy like him.

 

I also agree on Fil. Yeah, he's not elite. He may never actually have been elite really. But he's still good enough to play in this league. He still has good vision and better than average passing. He's always been afraid to shoot, probably in part because his shot really isn't very good. But given our weak bottom six, I do think he should be playing somewhere. Whether that's on the third or on the fourth, on the wing or at center, those are decisions for Hak to make of course. 

 

Is he better than Laughton? Meh. I think they're different players frankly. I think they're both bottom six worthy, and I think it depends on who they have for linemates. Laughton seems faster and more tenacious. He's at his best on the forecheck, not so much because of his offensive skill, but simply because he's pretty decent at forcing errors.

 

Fil is a better passer and has better vision, but he's slower at this point, and he would need linemates with a decent shot to be truly effective. That's not going to happen in our bottom six, so his use becomes rather more limited. Hak could play him with Read, who does have a decent shot, but that would make for a terribly slow line. I can't imagine they would be able to generate much. More than likely they'd just end up hemmed into the d-zone or be unable to bring the puck in.

 

Really though, it's not an either or equation for me. Simmonds, Laughton, and Fil should all be playing in the bottom six at this point imo. The rest are fillers, and that's where good coaching decisions come into play. Hak will not get elite play from anyone down there. He needs to find the best combos possible for specific game situations.

 

These are all role players at this point. Figure out what works fairly well for specific roles, and give it a go. That's pretty much the best we can expect I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, elmatus said:

 

I agree on both points. I have solid respect for Read. He was a soldier for us for some years and played reasonably well over that time. He never really lived up to contract expectations, but he was nonetheless a good mid to bottom six player over his time. He was defensively responsible, and he has always had decent finishing ability. 

 

That said, his time is done. I do understand the call up to play out the season. I do believe he's better still than Weise, so if the choice is between those two, I'd give Read the spot for sure. It isn't just between those two of course, which is where things get a bit messy for him. For the most part, he just isn't an effective NHL player anymore. Again, I respect the guy, but there comes a time when playing in this caliber of a hockey league just doesn't work anymore for a guy like him.

 

I also agree on Fil. Yeah, he's not elite. He may never actually have been elite really. But he's still good enough to play in this league. He still has good vision and better than average passing. He's always been afraid to shoot, probably in part because his shot really isn't very good. But given our weak bottom six, I do think he should be playing somewhere. Whether that's on the third or on the fourth, on the wing or at center, those are decisions for Hak to make of course. 

 

Is he better than Laughton? Meh. I think they're different players frankly. I think they're both bottom six worthy, and I think it depends on who they have for linemates. Laughton seems faster and more tenacious. He's at his best on the forecheck, not so much because of his offensive skill, but simply because he's pretty decent at forcing errors.

 

Fil is a better passer and has better vision, but he's slower at this point, and he would need linemates with a decent shot to be truly effective. That's not going to happen in our bottom six, so his use becomes rather more limited. Hak could play him with Read, who does have a decent shot, but that would make for a terribly slow line. I can't imagine they would be able to generate much. More than likely they'd just end up hemmed into the d-zone or be unable to bring the puck in.

 

Really though, it's not an either or equation for me. Simmonds, Laughton, and Fil should all be playing in the bottom six at this point imo. The rest are fillers, and that's where good coaching decisions come into play. Hak will not get elite play from anyone down there. He needs to find the best combos possible for specific game situations.

 

These are all role players at this point. Figure out what works fairly well for specific roles, and give it a go. That's pretty much the best we can expect I think.

 

Agree.  I'm not as high on Read's shot as you.  I'm not sure he could score holding a million dollars in a bar full of naked drunk hookers.

Maybe if it were a FOP convention in Ottawa.  Not sure.

 

Anyway, agree with everything else, though.   Read was fun when he came up.   His game was predicated on quickness (he had footspeed, but I'm not talking fast.  I'm talking quickness--reaction, etc.)  His game lost that for whatever reason.  Not sure if it was due to injury, aging, or what.   But when that left him, so did his effectiveness.    I'm okay with their bringing him back to finish the season.   If he's replacing Weise it's all good.  I know there may be a kid to bring up, but if they're getting solid time in Lehigh or elsewhere, that's probably better for their development than being brought up for 4th line duty.   And it's classy to let Read play it out.  I doubt he signs anywhere else, so this may be it for him.

 

Good post!

Edited by ruxpin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, vis said:

Putting Couturier back at center would help to address that issue.

 

Has he been playing wing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

 

Has he been playing wing?

Lol. I've read that post several times and didn't catch that.  I think he meant Giroux (or skipped the word "checking"). 

 

In either case, I'm not moving Giroux back to center. IMO, that's a mistake. 

 

I'm willing to flip flop Patrick and Couturier to get the latter back with Voracek, but that doesn't help the bottom six and I'm not sure it really changes the top six for the better. 

 

But again, i don't put Giroux back at center. Results are results. 

Edited by ruxpin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lol. I've read that post several times and didn't catch that.  I think he meant Giroux (or skipped the word "checking"). 

 

In either case, I'm not moving Giroux back to center. IMO, that's a mistake. 

 

I'm willing to flip flop Patrick and Couturier to get the latter back with Voracek, but that doesn't help the bottom six and I'm not sure it really changes the top six for the better. 

 

But again, i don't put Giroux back at center. Results are results. 

 

Yeah, he obviously meant Giroux, I was just taking the piss as they say.  Yeah, none of the potential changes really changes our bottom six. They are what they are for now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I know you and vis are just throwing stuff out there, but that's a horrible lineup, IMO.   Keep the top six and work on the rest for next year.

Filppula and Read will be gone.   If either is extended, my head might explode.   I could see them signing Filppula for a 1-2 year at a vast pay cut.   I said I could see it.  I'm not saying I'd like it.   I doubt it, though.

 

Any suggestion that includes Raffl on the top line makes my head hurt and makes me nauseated.   Stop with top 6 minutes for Raffl.  I know, I know, I know.  He can play any position and slide up and down.  So can Stormy Daniels.  I don't want either of them anywhere near the top line.

 

Yeah, we're just throwing stuff around - and I don't like it either. But @vis makes a good point re: playoffs. The current lineup will get exposed even more in the playoffs because of the severe dropoff in the bottom 6 up front and bottom 4 on the blueline.

 

So, do you just let them run the way they have all year and take their lumps and chalk it up to experience gained? Or do you try something that will likely hurt offensive production but hopefully boost defense and give the Flyers more options for matchups - maybe even gain an edge if they can spread the wealth?

 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Giroux - Couturier - TK

Lindblom - Patrick / Voracek

Filppula - Laughton - Simmonds

Read - Lehtera - Leier

 

Very close to my original suggestion - leave the top 6 alone, and move Laughton to 3C and Lehtera to 4C. I had Filppula scratched in favour of Raffl.

 

 

Edited by brelic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brelic said:

 

So, do you just let them run the way they have all year and take their lumps and chalk it up to experience gained? Or do you try something that will likely hurt offensive production but hopefully boost defense and give the Flyers more options for matchups - maybe even gain an edge if they can spread the wealth?

I'm afraid yes to the first part. 

 

But to the second point, i don't think moving Couturier to 3C helps nearly enough to compensate for the destruction done to the top 6.

 

An unexpected trip to the playoffs this year and the probably little bit of playoff experience the kids will get is more than sufficient for me (YMMV).  

 

But honestly, in a playoff setting, I don't care how you rearrange the deck chairs, I don't think the team as currently comprised is good enough to overcome what they have in goal over the course of a long series.  

 

I don't undo the strides either Giroux or Couturier have made this year by doing something that ultimately causes more damage than it helps.  

 

I'm with you on rearranging the bottom six, but ultimately it's the same deadweight filling in too many slots. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the bright side, it's generally easier to construct a serviceable bottom six than a good top six (ditto bottom half of the d-corps). So while this year, lack of depth might be an issue, it's unlikely to continue. Whereas if the bottom six was good, but you lacked top-6 talent, there'd be very little near-term hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

G , Coots, TK  - lindblom, Patrick, and vorachoke,- weal /Read , raffl, Simmonds - Leir, laughton, and weal/Read manbitch sits in the press box (on d)!!!!  I wouldn't mind seeing these lines they tried almost everything else ,lol

Edited by Pucked in the head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 4
      Post
      Overall, I thought the Flyers played well. They hung with Vegas all game, and in fact probably had a slight edge in territorial play 5v5.    Basically, the failure of our PP and PK was the difference in the game. Vegas went 2/2 on the PP and we went 1/4.   A few observations from the game..   - Mrazek was good and made a number of big saves that kept the game close... but his rebound control is a definite problem. It probably turned a bunch of routine stops into adventures. I wonder if Clark Griswold made his pads with his new ultra-bouncy padding material.    - Giroux is a special player. @elmatus and I were talking about that last night. There are so many things he does on a nightly basis that don't even get noticed, but when you see them, your jaw drops. One of the most talented Flyer I've ever watched. He's doing everything he can to lead this team to drink... but when you're dragging asses instead of horses.... it ain't so easy.   - That being said, his line is the only one generating anything with regularity. Last night's point-getters - G, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Ghost, Simmer. Patrick and his line also chip in, but outside of that... crickets.   - So, Lindblom. How long until he officially becomes Raffl? Kidding. The kid looks like he will score in bunches. I can't believe he didn't pot two last night.   - Sanheim's looked good. I wonder if there's any chance he replaces Manning once Hagg is healthy.   - Flyers had at least two great chances to score that were blown because of overpassing. More worrisome is that TK has now picked up that habit and has been guilty of that a lot lately.   Can't be too upset with losing to one of the best teams in the NHL because of special teams. That's on us, not them. We controlled most of the game 5v5.     
    • 4
      Post
        What's most hilarious about this conversation is how far up the depth chart Lehtera has risen! At this rate he'll be on the 1st line by April!   [seriously, he's been very good (for a guy who can't skate)]
    • 4
      Post
      I'm with you. I'm against any idea that puts Couturier on the third line.    I'm also against any idea that puts Weal on the top line. He is NOT an NHL players, let alone putting him on the top line.    Lastly, the dislike of Filppula on this board is really exaggerated. It's not as bad as all that and will be ending shortly.  If anything, I'd put him back on wing and have Laughton center him and Simmonds. 
    • 4
      Post
        He is the poster child for what the whole team is doing the last month to six weeks:    Pass first.   Earlier, when Coots was having some success, he was shooting, crashing the net, and banging in rebounds.   The whole stinking team has become allergic to the net and want to find someone, anyone, to pass to.  Nevermind that there are 5 defenders, a goalie, and a division 1 lacrosse team in between them and whomever they're passing to.  It's like they've all gotten Voracek Syndrome.   SHOOT THE DAMN THING AND FOLLOW YOUR SHOT.  YOU'RE NOT IN PEEWEE; WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SAY THIS!
    • 3
      Post
        Dammit.   We're going to lose this game.   Have you ever noticed that it's nearly always the Flyers in someone else's milestone videos?
    • 3
      Post
      Sanheim should be in the line up for the rest of the season. You need his puck moving abilities because aside from the top pair, we have no one else that can do it effectively on a consistent basis. He'll make mistakes, but who cares? Manning and MacDonald make those mistakes on a nightly basis, but at least Sanheim will get better.

About us

We are an enthusiastic community of HockeyFans who enjoy discussing the NHL and the great game of hockey in our Forums. Our members may write their own blogs, converse in chat, post pics in our gallery, join our fantasy hockey leagues and more. If you are looking for a friendly community to discuss hockey then register today and begin your conversation in our NET.

 

 Contact Us

 

Recent tweets

Like what we do? Help us keep doing it!
Supporting Members help keep HockeyForums Advertisement Free
×