Chances of Playoffs, Opponent and Similar

Digityman

A few years ago this site was brought up and I remember using it pretty often towards the end of the season.   Just sharing it again. 

Overall NHL - http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Flyers Specific - http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Metropolitan/Philadelphia.html

Some interesting stats on what they need to do with the last 9 games: 

Getting 6 points (91 total) would put them at about 50/50 shot at making the playoffs.. 

Getting 11 points (96 total) would put them at over a 50% chance of getting 3rd in the division

Getting 15 points (100 total) gets them over a 50% chance of getting 3rd in the division

Statistically speaking, they most common was they end with 96 points, 3rd in the division.

Some interesting stats on potential first round opponents: 

If they go:

9-0-0 - Columbus

7-2-0 - Pens

4-4-1 - Caps

2-6-1 - ?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, brelic said:

I don’t care who they face - just get in. The Pens would be epic and rough. So would the Caps. 

Great experience any any way you slice it!

I wouldn’t want the Pens based on what I have seen so far this year.  We are 0-3 So far and looked bad doing it.  Normally I would be with you as we usually seem to get up for games vs them but based on how we are playing them so far this year im afraid we would get run out of the building (and the series for that matter).

Well there went another point tonight.

Jackets jump them for 3rd in the division.

Now they the top wild card spot over Devils (who have 2 games in hand) and Panthers sit in 9th (with 3 games in hand).

Not good by any stretch.

It would help if they would play a guy who isn't a sieve in net!!!

Also the Panthers have 3 games in hand on the Flyers.

They also have 3 games left vs the Bruins so it would be nice to get some help from the Bruins for once.

Nice of the Sharks to dispatch the Devils in regulation too last night.

And of course zero help from the Ranjerks vs Blue Jackets.

I wouldn't want to play the Jackets firat round for sure.

However the one team that has their number is the Pens.

They are in Bob's head!

Pens. Obviously. 100%. I don't know why this is in question. 

Give me the raw emotion and epic drive that only comes to the fore when the battle of Penn comes around.

The Caps would be alright and all, but it's not the same at all.

I mean, if somehow it means the Flyers and Pens meeting in the conference final, that would be even better, but I'm not very confident that would be possible. If nothing else, give me at least the first round of blood and sweat. 

Give me the Caps with their bubbling questions in net they have going on between Holby and Grubauer.

Which i don't think should be an issue but for whatever reason the Caps need some drama this time of year.

But it is a issue none the less.

I would love to have Holtby on the Flyers right now.

However if Mrazek was to man the pipes it would mean the Flyers get swept no matter who they would play.

Murray, Vaselevski, Holtby, Bob, Luongo, Andersen, Rask, Kinkaid and even Ward and all better goalies than Mrazek.

They are f**ked if they need to rely on that dude.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hak is a fool if he puts Mrazek in net again for the Flyers. A FOOL!

I had hopes Mrazek would be something other than what he is - absolutely f&*cking terrible.   The net should belong to Lyon IMO.

Hhhhmmmm Jackets and Pathers square off tonight too.

So who do we want to win that?

I think it could be more beneficial for the Jackets to win since the Panthers pose a threat with 3 games in hand.

However a Jackets and a Flyers win and the Flyers jump back in the 3rd spot.

On 3/20/2018 at 6:24 PM, brelic said:

I don’t care who they face - just get in. The Pens would be epic and rough. So would the Caps. 

Great experience any any way you slice it!

It won't be epic when Hak decides to match Filppula up against Crosby or Malkin 

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

Going .500 in their last 6 games all but guarantees they get into the playoffs 

So is that even doable??

at Dallas

at Avs

vs Bruins

at Isles

vs Canes

vs Rangers

So all they have to do is beat one playoff team and beat the other 3 teams that are out of it is what you are saying??

So the 3 teams out of it are the Isles, Canes and Rags.

So of the 3 playoff teams they can beat it think the Stars are the most likely chance.

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So is that even doable??

at Dallas

at Avs

vs Bruins

at Isles

vs Canes

vs Rangers

So all they have to do is beat one playoff team and beat the other 3 teams that are out of it is what you are saying??

So the 3 teams out of it are the Isles, Canes and Rags.

So of the 3 playoff teams they can beat it think the Stars are the most likely chance.

The Stars are not a playoff team right now. In fact, they’re not likely to make it at all. They’re five points out of a wild card spot at this point and have lost eight straight. 

They’ll still score five next game of course. 

On 3/21/2018 at 9:32 AM, elmatus said:

mean, if somehow it means the Flyers and Pens meeting in the conference final, that would be even better, but I'm not very confident that would be possible. If nothing else, give me at least the first round of blood and sweat. 

Elmatus and Colleagues:

I remember the last time we met Pitt in the ECF:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/2008-philadelphia-flyers-vs-pittsburgh-penguins-eastern-conference-finals.html

This was not pretty.  I would argue this was a hodge-podge Flyers team that made a remarkable comeback after the terrible 2006-07 season.  On the other hand, it was an example of Homer's/Snider's build-for-today philosophy which we are finally beginning to shake.

I just want to get in the playoffs against whomever and where ever it is time for some of these kids to experience it.

Provorov, Hagg, Sanheim, Patrick, Lindblom, Konecny, Weal and Leier could all use it to build on with.

The pressure goes up and there are no more shootouts. Sudden death overtime is a whole new level of live or die!

Archived