Cooper Marody

sekkes85

To Edmonton for a 2019 3rd round pick.

So we traded a 2015 6th rounder for a 3rd, I'll take it.  Can't see him getting any real opportunity on the big club and not really much with the Phantoms either.

He was probably around our 20th best prospect. Unlikely he'd surpass enough guys already in the pool and with the youth already on the team to become a Flyer. You'd be damn lucky to get a 3rd for your 20th best NHLer. 

Hextall is still sticking with his plan to develop youth, and continue having more up and coming in the pipeline. He's already got 2-1sts, 1-2nd 2-3rds (likely lose one to Detroit) 1-4th  2-5ths 1-6th 3-7ths...10 picks. 

33 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hextall is still sticking with his plan to develop youth, and continue having more up and coming in the pipeline. He's already got 2-1sts, 1-2nd 2-3rds (likely lose one to Detroit) 1-4th  2-5ths 1-6th 3-7ths...10 picks. 

Flyers likely have no 3rd this year. They'd have to fall out of the playoffs to keep theirs, and the pick for Marody is next year's Devil's pick. 

Still a good move for them. As I know you and I have discussed, they're at the point where they're going to have to start either consolidating some assets into higher quality assets (2- or 3-for 1 deals) or translating players that don't fit the future into future picks. 

So, that officially (for the Oilers) makes the deal Patrick Maroon for JD Dudek and Cooper Marody. I have no idea how it will work out, the same as everybody else.

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

So, that officially (for the Oilers) makes the deal Patrick Maroon for JD Dudek and Cooper Marody. I have no idea how it will work out, the same as everybody else.

He project to a bottom 6 forward.

Flyers pipeline is full so he may not even sign knowing the competition he is facing if you believe reports so Flyers want to get something for him instead of being left empty handed.

To me it sounds like an even trade.

13 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Another view on it...

The vibe on Marody was that he's skilled but tools aren't on an NHL top six level but as a potential good AHL player who could see some NHL time; a bit like a playmaker version of ex-Flyer Ryan Potulny.

— Bill Meltzer

IIRC Potulny played some for the Oilers so not sure what were your thoughts on him and if that is a good or bad thing.

Food for thought:

He would have been buried on the Phantoms even.

Carey - Vorobyev - Allison
Rubtsov - Laberge - Laczynski
Twarynski - Knight - Kase
Bunnaman - Bardreau -Fazleev

Assuming NAK, Martel AND Vecchione are not Phantoms next year...

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Assuming NAK, Martel AND Vecchione are not Phantoms next year...

I'm not convinced all of them will be brought up in one year. Sanheim will likely be, and Morin could very well be as well. That would make five players on the roster will little to no NHL experience all in one go. I feel that just isn't the Hextall way.

Not impossible maybe, but I'm pretty doubtful. That's a sea of green.

If it does happen, it would definitely signal to me that we're in for another rollercoaster of a year. 

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm not convinced all of them will be brought up in one year.

No they don't have to just demonstrating how the deck would be stacked against Marody.

No one knows if he was going to come out or not but say he is waiting the following year then you would have Frost, Ratcliffe, Strome and Sushko coming in then too so Flyers are deep.

It is why they moved him.

7 minutes ago, elmatus said:

That would make five players on the roster will little to no NHL experience all in one go.

Not buying that.

No experience till this year:

Martel 

Goulbourne

Patrick

Hagg

Sanheim

Lindblom

I'm no math scholar but that is 6 by my account so 5 is doable.

:VeryCool:

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not buying that.

Martel 

Goulbourne

Patrick

Hagg

Sanheim

Lindblom

Patrick and Hagg are the only ones in that list who have played a decent amount of games. Sanheim was benched more than anything for his first stint, and is really only getting regular ice time over the past week or so. Lindblom has only been around for a couple weeks. Martel and Goulbourne were barely a blip on the radar in GP.

I could see a bunch of players getting limited play time similar to that next year. That would make sense. But it just isn't Hextall's way to have a half dozen inexperienced players coming in all at once and playing for long periods of time. 

12 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Patrick and Hagg are the only ones in that list who have played a decent amount of games. Sanheim was benched more than anything for his first stint, and is really only getting regular ice time over the past week or so. Lindblom has only been around for a couple weeks. Martel and Goulbourne were barely a blip on the radar in GP.

I could see a bunch of players getting limited play time similar to that next year. That would make sense. But it just isn't Hextall's way to have a half dozen inexperienced players coming in all at once and playing for long periods of time. 

I don't think Hextall (and Hak) has a set "way to be" they are fluid and have shown that they will play the guys who have earned it.

Be it an 18 year old or a 23 year old and sit a guy as old as Manning in favor of a kid.

And Mcdud has even been waived as we have seen.

So there is no way you can tell right now.

We'll have to sit back and see but if the kids are the best guys for the lineup then they will do it age be damned.

Fans need to be fluid to.

It's a rebuild.

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not buying that.

Martel 

Goulbourne

Patrick

Hagg

Sanheim

Lindblom

Wasn't all at once though 

43 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Wasn't all at once though 

Never said it was. Guys guys guys.

It is merely to demontrate how the deck is stacked depth wise against Marody.

That is all. Nothing more. The reason he was moved. The reason he may not have signed....went the free agent route and left ala Vesey leaving the Flyers with nada and he instead snagged a 3rd.

Great move.

As far as who makes the Flyers next year i can't say sitting here in march my magic 8 ball is in the shop.

However i can make a educated guess one of the guys will be NAK.

I could see them trading Weal and going with a fiestier version of him in Martel.

Vorobyev could too. All to start the seson or as it goes. We'll see.

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

As far as who makes the Flyers next year i can't say sitting here in march my magic 8 ball is in the shop.

Well....you're no use to us then!

Be gone!

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Never said it was. Guys guys guys.

It is merely to demontrate how the deck is stacked depth wise against Marody.

When I read the Guys guys guys statement, I couldn't help but hear it in the voice of Brad from Bachelor Party(80's Tom Hanks movie)

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i did give an educated guess it may be 5th grade level but it counts for something! :rage:

Thought you at least had your grade 10, Ricky 

Gr10.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Oilers sign Marody to a 3 year deal.

I think the Oilers got a kid who will be a good player and leader. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team next season out of camp.

• hf101 changed the title to Cooper Marody

Archived