Giroux

Samifan

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in December I called him the most invisible PPG player - and to a large extent he was (the team mired near the bottom). He's really turned it around nicely.

I'm always happy to be wrong about those things.

Of course, I've also said many times he would be better suited as a playmaking wing than a "#1 C" - turns out playing his "natural position" has really rejuvenated his career.

But, on 97.5 this morning, even their "Flyers guy" was acknowledging he needs to have a star playoff run to cement a "superstar" status. We're a long way from "the shift" at this point.

Just do it.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm still ticked at how he was dealt with.  
It's nice that he's starting to feel like more of the community (considering that Lappy apparently has a job for life and he was here all of a year and a half) but it's still all a bit bitter sweet.  

I think the question for Giroux is whether this is a 'one-and-done' upsurge/uptick or has he found a "second career" at left wing, where we have some 70+ point seasons for the next 3-5 years? I hope it is a rebirth, not a fluke.

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I think the question for Giroux is whether this is a 'one-and-done' upsurge/uptick or has he found a "second career" at left wing, where we have some 70+ point seasons for the next 3-5 years? I hope it is a rebirth, not a fluke.

I think if he’s healthy, he will keep playing at a high level. There’s more and more talent developing on this team and there’s more on the way. There are lots of options for him. 

And we also have more players who have that drive and determination we see in G. Ghost is my favourite in this sense - love watching how fired up he can get when he’s on! Konecny is another one, a better version of Marchand in the making ;)

Patrick too, I would say. You can see that confidence and determination in his game now - he doesn’t give up on plays and is starting to force turnovers the way Coots does. 

Giroux is a phenomenal player and it’s awesome that I get to watch him every game. 

Disappointing day for Giroux and the 1st line. Mostly invisible until the game tying goal in the final minute. G gets one assist and now needs 3 more points in the final six games for a career high.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:33 PM, Pucked in the head said:

I wish G would shoot the damn puck more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We ALL know what he's capable of when he does, it really SUCKS he has that pass first mentality too!

They all do.  It's literally just to get the goalie moving laterally.  

So many times we've seen players like Konecny and Jake pull up at the dots and skate across the middle and rip a shot past the goalie.  This seems more effective on the rush than forcing desperate passes that lose you puck control.  

Gostisbehere hit a historic mark as well. He became just the fourth Flyers defenseman to reach 60 points in a season. Mark Howe did it three times, Gerry Galley did it twice, Behn Wilson did it once, and now Gostisbehere joins them.

Galley was the most recent one to do it prior to Gostisbehere’s assist, with 70 points in the 1993-94 season.

Gostisbehere did something that hadn’t been done in nearly 25 years. Chris Pronger (2009-10) and Eric Desjardins (1999-2000) each came closest with 55 points, but Gostisbehere has reached 60.

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nice to see G is suk tie a career high in points. Except this time he is +18!

He'll never do that again. And if he does...well he won't do it again after that time. Probably.

4 hours ago, Samifan said:

G at 95 pts now! It would be an absolute shame if he wasn’t a finalist for the Hart trophy!

#SendClaudeToVegas

STRAIGHT GANGSTA!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Samifan said:

G at 95 pts now! It would be an absolute shame if he wasn’t a finalist for the Hart trophy!

#SendClaudeToVegas

If the trophy is properly awarded this year, he has to be in the convo for sure. If the Avs sneak in, I can see MacKinnon taking it in the end, but G's play this year has been outstanding and definitely worthy of consideration. Without him, this team is looking at a 20s finish this season imo. If that isn't the definition of importance to one's team, I don't know what is.

I was talking about this yesterday with @brelic. I'm thinking a Giroux, MacKinnon (if they make the playoffs), and W. Karlsson nomination for hart. That again is assuming they nominate players based on the intended criteria. If they don't, it's probably Malkin or Matthews or something silly. League darlings are hard to shake off.

4th in points, 2 back of being tied for 2nd, so he should definitely be in the running. However, McDavid is going to run away with the Art Ross at this point, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the Hart as well. 

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

If the trophy is properly awarded this year, he has to be in the convo for sure. If the Avs sneak in, I can see MacKinnon taking it in the end, but G's play this year has been outstanding and definitely worthy of consideration. Without him, this team is looking at a 20s finish this season imo. If that isn't the definition of importance to one's team, I don't know what is.

I was talking about this yesterday with @brelic. I'm thinking a Giroux, MacKinnon (if they make the playoffs), and W. Karlsson nomination for hart. That again is assuming they nominate players based on the intended criteria. If they don't, it's probably Malkin or Matthews or something silly. League darlings are hard to shake off.

Matthews??? Giroux is FORTY points ahead of him.

38 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the Hart as well

I'm not sure the last time someone won the Hart despite their team not making the playoffs. I feel like making the playoffs is an unwritten requirement for it. As it should be really. As good as McDavid obviously is, he wasn't enough this year to lead his team to the postseason.

That's through no fault of his own of course, but it is the reality of it. The fact he's going to snag the Art Ross and yet his team won't make the postseason is... baffling. The Oil organization is all kinds of messed up. Chiarelli has made some of the worst decisions by a GM in the last decade between Boston and now in Edmonton. Why they would bring a guy like him in is... also baffling. Of course, their troubles stem from way before him, so it seems logical there must be other issues with the organization as a whole. 

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Matthews??? Giroux is FORTY points ahead of him.

Yes, that's where the league darling part comes in. Don't misunderstand me: Matthews does not deserve it. Could I see him being nominated? Yes, I can. He plays for the biggest market team in the world. That shouldn't matter, but it does. The NHL has been grooming him as the face of the league since the moment TO was selected for the first pick that season. That's not about to go away.

Next up: The Oscars are political. :cheers:

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Yes, that's where the league darling part comes in. Don't misunderstand me: Matthews does not deserve it. Could I see him being nominated? Yes, I can. He plays for the biggest market team in the world. That shouldn't matter, but it does. The NHL has been grooming him as the face of the league since the moment TO was selected for the first pick that season. That's not about to go away.

Nah..McDavid is the new face of the league...despite the Oilers ineptitude.

Nobody drafted in the last decade at his level.

4 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm not sure the last time someone won the Hart despite their team not making the playoffs. I feel like making the playoffs is an unwritten requirement for it. As it should be really. As good as McDavid obviously is, he wasn't enough this year to lead his team to the postseason.

I do think it's hard to nominate a guy whose team misses the playoffs, but Dreger seems to be beating the drum for him pretty hard, and MacKenzie has already said he'll be on his top five when his ballot is cast. I don't know how much influence they really have, but those are two pretty big voices.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I do think it's hard to nominate a guy whose team misses the playoffs, but Dreger seems to be beating the drum for him pretty hard, and MacKenzie has already said he'll be on his top five when his ballot is cast. I don't know how much influence they really have, but those are two pretty big voices.

He deserves to be nominated. Not win, but nominated.

I agree your team should be in the playoffs. But it's not McDavids fault the Oilers won yet another lottery. If he played on any team with competent management they'd be in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He deserves to be nominated. Not win, but nominated.

I agree your team should be in the playoffs. But it's not McDavids fault the Oilers won yet another lottery. If he played on any team with competent management they'd be in the playoffs.

I guess if you consider the fact that if not for him, the Oilers would likely be 0-82, he deserves a nomination. But all I was saying is that there are big voices that think he deserves to win. So I wouldn't be surprised if he did, because it's a media vote. 

I think MacKinnon is my 1st vote this year. He's basically pulling the Avs into playoff contention after being dead last last year. He's got 12 points on Rantanen, and Landeskog is 35 points back. There's no question he's making that team go, and if they beat out LA/St. Louis to get into the playoffs, it will be largely due to him. Giroux is in a similar position, though his supporting cast is stronger and the team wasn't as bad last year.

Archived