Attendance Problems in Ottawa

WordsOfWisdom

The Senators are currently ranked 24th in the NHL in attendance this year, with an average of 15,814 fans per game or 85.4% capacity in their arena. 

Having visited Ottawa last fall, and discovering that the Sens arena is quite literally located in the middle of nowhere, I'm wondering if that is the main factor to the low attendance figures or if this is primarily a backlash against Melnik? Do the Sens need a new owner? An arena located closer to downtown Ottawa? Both? 

The Sens had a final four team last season, so they've enjoyed recent success. This hasn't been a "lost cause" franchise on the ice in recent years. 

Do you see the Sens relocating to Quebec City?  

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Senators are currently ranked 24th in the NHL in attendance this year, with an average of 15,814 fans per game or 85.4% capacity in their arena. 

Having visited Ottawa last fall, and discovering that the Sens arena is quite literally located in the middle of nowhere, I'm wondering if that is the main factor to the low attendance figures or if this is primarily a backlash against Melnik? Do the Sens need a new owner? An arena located closer to downtown Ottawa? Both? 

The Sens had a final four team last season, so they've enjoyed recent success. This hasn't been a "lost cause" franchise on the ice in recent years. 

Do you see the Sens relocating to Quebec City?  

IIRC, weren't they building a new area in Lebreton Flats? I used to work as a musician for the Ottawa Senators and yes, the arena was a PITA to get to, especially during rush hour traffic, when I had to get there for rehearsals. 

And then if you want to have a few drinks? Ain't no cabs around there unless you want to fork out $50. The cops used to block all the highway access ramps to do roadside checks. Smart, of course, but it also backed up traffic even more.

EDIT: http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/garrioch-in-tough-year-senators-score-big-victory-with-lebreton-flats-deal

Not all sure what the deal with attendance in Ottawa is about, I mean, the sport ITSELF shouldn't be the issue....it  is hockey...in Canada...after all, right?

So putting that aside, some of it may be due to the ownership group, but if the arena really is in a bad spot, then THAT could certainly (in addition to the ownership group, lack of championships, etc) be a big factor.

I think that is one of the main reasons the Panthers have trouble drawing people too... their arena is in Sunrise Florida, as opposed to the more densely populated Miami, FL.

Of course, I realize the Panthers and Sens are two completely different cases, but arena location certainly plays a factor.

Not to turn this into a MLB thread, but looking at baseball, it is THE number one reason the Tampa Bay Rays have had trouble drawing over the years, despite having some very good teams:  the stadium is a dump, hard to get to, and not a damned thing to do before or after games around it!

So if the Sens' arena is in a similar situation, then moving it to a more desirable location probably would help matters.

Of course, I think with Ottawa, the issues there aren't simply location. Things are complicated by how the owner runs the team, which of coruse, includes the inability to keep star players (or at least constantly being in the rumor mill for players wanting out).

Add to that when the team DOESN'T do well, and you certainly have one big recipe for failure and fan disinterest.

Not sure there is an easy fix for the Senators. I certainly would hate to see the city lose their hockey team (I hate it when ANY area loses a pro franchise!), but it is entirely conceivable that if something isn't done soon, and with the big push Quebec has been making to gain an NHL team once again, that the Sens could be moved.

Of course, people have been saying that about the Coyotes and Panthers for YEARS, yet they still remain where they are....and I would think, arena location aside, the market for the actual sport of hockey SHOULD be better in Ottawa, Canada..... right? :ermm:

• 1 month later...

OK this is what I've gathered from what I've read in Facebook groups and what I've heard in a podcast I listen to. There are a series of issues that have contributed to low attendance- though apparently while there was a drop in attendance this season, there was a lift in paid tickets, so make of that what you will. Several issues are impossible to change, others not so much.

• Stadium in a terrible place. Yeah it looks like the new development will happen (though Melnyk is dithering for some reason). I also gather it's not easy to get to in context of PT and road options. Not sure on that one, though.
  • Few big industries that buy tickets for employees/guests. The biggest employer is the government, and they can't accept free tickets as a rule and of course the government isn't interested in buying corporate boxes.
  • Pay problems for government employees- apparently the new pay system is hopelessly broken and there are people who don't know if their pay will go in their account when it should. This discourages discretionary spending, apparently the restaurant district is doing poorly as a result of this.
  • Issues with the owner. This can't be fixed, of course. I wish he'd just shut up.
  • Form.
  • Branding. I mean, a team called the Senators is odd, even by Canadian standards. It'll be interesting to see if they go ahead with their heritage 'O' logo and design non-boring jerseys..

Of course it's important to note that the team is profitable. In his infamous "Melnyk wants to move the team!" interview (which, well, he has no idea how to answer questions) he said that while he'd rather it be bringing in more money, it is still profitable, somehow.

Archived