Much Love to the Humboldt Broncos!

pilldoc

I'm having a tough time starting my tasks for today, and didn't sleep well last night. We've all been on a team, or class bus, or sent our kids on one... so sad, I just can't imagine getting a phone call like this.  

Reddit has an updated thread on news of individuals including  gofundme info.

16 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'm having a tough time starting my tasks for today, and didn't sleep well last night. We've all been on a team, or class bus, or sent our kids on one... so sad, I just can't imagine getting a phone call like this.  

I'm having a hard time this morning getting motivated to do anything.  Agree at one time or another we have all been on a team or sent our kids on a bus.  As I said before....my heart is just aching for those families right now.  I read one article out of Canada saying a semi-truck T-boned the players bus.  If true the wreckage must be horrific ...... 

EDIT: Reading through the Reddit thread ...unconfirmed reports state the Semi blew through a stop sign and T-Boned the bus .....  :(:(

Edited by pilldoc

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Very sad news.

If I'm playing on a travelling team in Canada named "Broncos", I think I'm avoiding the bus at all costs.

I really can't imagine how this team can even rebuild after this tragedy. 

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

Swift Current went on the win the Memorial Cup after a bus crash killed several players 2 years prior. Joe Sakic was on that bus. Lindy Ruffs brother was one of the kids killed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Swift Current went on the win the Memorial Cup after a bus crash killed several players 2 years prior. Joe Sakic was on that bus. Lindy Ruffs brother was one of the kids killed.

Wow ... I did not know that .....

39 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If only those boys had been spared and Graham James had been killed instead.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, hf101 said:

It will take time....  Remember the Marshall Univ. football tragedy back in 1970.  It will take time but the scars will always be there.  I'm sure the governing body of the league has some type of emergency plan for such tragic events such as this.......

-Terrible news. Really awful, gut wrenching stuff. Fourteen lives barely lived...

-My nephews put on the miles all across that area of the province, and have for years, to go to games and tournaments. The roads can be extremely treacherous and this is everybody's nightmare scenario.

-People still talk about the Swift Current crash, and I know they will for many years now with this tragedy.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The hockey community really is a small world. 

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

why do you say that?  I'm not sure who Graham James is .......

Graham James is the former Swift Current coach who spent years sexually assaulting his players, including Sheldon Kennedy and Theoren Fleury.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The hockey community really is a small world. 

Well the hockey world just got even smaller ....not knowing about Lindy Ruffs brother, I googled it.  Guess what I found...

Hakstol was friends with Lindy's late brother Brent.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/10/flyers_dave_hakstol_stars_lindy_ruff_hail_from_sam.html

"There are 30 NHL head coaches and two hail from Warburg, Alberta, population 789 -- the Flyers' Dave Hakstol and Lindy Ruff of the Dallas Stars.

Ruff, who is eight years older than Hakstol, has been the biggest celebrity from Warburg for decades. He had a 12-year NHL playing career with the Buffalo Sabres and the Rangers that was followed by a more successful coaching career, first during a long run in Buffalo and now with Dallas.

This story of two residents now making it big includes sadness, as Hakstol was friends with Ruff's late younger brother.

Brent Ruff, who was two years younger than Hakstol, was killed on Dec. 30, 1986 at age 16. He was playing junior hockey for the WHL's Swift Current Broncos when his team bus crashed on icy roads traveling to a game in Regina, killing four players. The survivors included a future Hockey Hall of Famer, Joe Sakic.

Lindy Ruff remembers Hakstol as a kid and got to know him a little better in September 2007 when his Buffalo squad played a preseason game against the Minnesota Wild at Hakstol's North Dakota rink."

What a small world ......

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Graham James is the former Swift Current coach who spent years sexually assaulting his players, including Sheldon Kennedy and Theoren Fleury.

Ah ...did not know that.  Thanks for the info.  Totally understand your disdain for him. 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

The French club that was killed on TWA flight 800 was our neighboring school and sports rival. My brother in law was in the club but I forget why he didn't go.  In any case, was surrounded by people at work who got those calls.  It's 22 years later, but a moment I'll never forget. 

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Ah ...did not know that.  Thanks for the info.  Totally understand your disdain for him. 

Horrifying stuff. For years of abuse directed at Kennedy, he received a two-year sentence, after which he received a full pardon. Later, Theoren Fleury and Todd Holt brought evidence to the RCMP. He was charged with numerous counts of sexual assault of a minor and again received only a two-year sentence, which outraged the public.

He is a notorious man in Canada, particularly in hockey circles.

8 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Horrifying stuff. For years of abuse directed at Kennedy, he received a two-year sentence, after which he received a full pardon. Later, Theoren Fleury and Todd Holt brought evidence to the RCMP. He was charged with numerous counts of sexual assault of a minor and again received only a two-year sentence, which outraged the public.

He is a notorious man in Canada, particularly in hockey circles.

There is a new book out about that sicko James by another boy who had long been rumoured to have also been abused: Greg Gilhooly. I haven't read it yet, but plan to:

https://books.google.com/books/about/I_Am_Nobody.html?id=U81HDwAAQBAJ

Edited by Podein25

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

One of the most despised Canadians of alltime. 

I'm not a violent person...but I would punch his face in if I ever saw him.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

One of the most despised Canadians of alltime. 

I'm not a violent person...but I would punch his face in if I ever saw him.

So kind of the Jerry Sandusky of Canada. 

• Like 1

This is apparently the list of those who have died. via a thread in Reddit.

Thoughts and Prayers to the grieving families.

Head Coach Darcy Haugan

D Adam Herold (16)

Assistant Coach Mark Cross

C Logan Schatz (20)

RW Evan Thomas (18)

D Xavier Labelle (18)

D Stephen Wack (21)

C Jaxon Joseph (20)

RW Logan Hunter (18)

Reporter Tyler Bieber

LW Conner Lukan (21)

LW Jacob Leicht (18) (seems to be unofficial still, no link, sister allegedly confirmed on Instagram)

D Logan Boulet (20)

Statistician Brody Hinz

Bus Driver