Much Love to the Humboldt Broncos!

pilldoc

13 minutes ago, Hockey Forums said:

This topic has been moved from "Philadelphia Flyers " to "CHL". 

@hf101

Strange ... I started the post in the CHL forum ...how did it end up in the Flyers forum????

EDIT:  I think someone started another thread and someone merged the threads together.  My original thread title included the words "Horrific Accident"

Dosen't matter.....still tragic and my heart still breaks for all those families .......

Edited by pilldoc

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@hf101

Strange ... I started the post in the CHL forum ...how did it end up in the Flyers forum????

@Pucked in the head posted a new topic on this in the Flyers Forum.  I merged it, to this existing topic, it all moved to the Flyers forum..  Then moved it back to the CHL topic.

4 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Wow.  It looks like half the bus is missing.  So incredibly sad...

I stared at this photo for several minutes in shock, disbelief and sadness.  The front of the bus had indeed been separated from the rest of the vehicle. If you look closely... the front of the bus is actually upside down in the upper right portion of the photo. I've been upset about this all day.

Just now, pilldoc said:

I stared at this photo for several minutes in shock, disbelief and sadness.  The front of the bus had indeed been separated from the rest of the vehicle. If you look closely... the front of the bus is actually upside down in the upper right portion of the photo. I've been upset about this all day.

Yeah, me too since I started posting in the chatbox last night.  I think the front of the bus was moved for emergency workers to get to the injured as fast as possible.  Some of the earlier photos on twitter looked a bit different than the later ones from the helicopter.

Just watching the comments from the Avalanches head coach Jared Bednar who grew up in Humboldt desiring to play for the Broncos. 

This is the earliest photo I've seen before the sun set.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Which photo, first or second?  I think the front of the bus is mangled under the cab of the Semi.  In the first picture you can see the same color (blue) as the what is remaining on the bus.  In the second picture there is a wheel near the cab of the semi that matches one of the back wheels of the bus. 

The upside down wheels are part of the trailer.

2 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Which photo, first or second?  I think the front of the bus is mangled under the cab of the Semi.  In the first picture you can see the same color (blue) as the what is remaining on the bus.  In the second picture there is a wheel near the cab of the semi that matches one of the back wheels of the bus. 

The upside down wheels are part of the trailer.

You may be right.... what a jumbled mess..... How the hell did the truck driver survive??

9 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

You may be right.... what a jumbled mess..... How the hell did the truck driver survive??

So long as there's no engine explosion, the truck driver is really pretty well protected.   In the old cab-over style (that they still use in Europe) not as much.   But those with the nose out front provide a good deal of protection as the engine chassis gets pushed under them.

4 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I read that the truck driver was uninjured.

It almost looks as if the tractor trailer pulled out in front of the bus after probably stopping at the stop sign.  I've read that there have been numerous accidents at that intersection over the years as the sunglare can make it nearly impossible to see a vehicle traveling on the roadway as in "the bus".

55 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Classy move by the Blackhawks. All the players wore the name Broncos for their nameplate. 

Jets did too. All players did. They huddled together before the game around center ice to share a moment of silence. It was quite a thing to see (I was at the Jets game tonight).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

One of the most despised Canadians of alltime. 

I'm not a violent person...but I would punch his face in if I ever saw him.

And rightfully so. Sounds like they need to bring back stoning someone to death!!!!

Terrible to hear of such stuff to kids. Lowest scum of the earth do stuff like that.

• Like 1

The Saskatoon Star Pheonix seems to have the most up-to-date info regarding this tragedy for those interested.

One of the stories coming out of Humboldt is about one of the two injured who could walk after the crash.

It was about 5 p.m. Friday when Myles Shumlanski got a “hysterical” call from his son.

“The bus was in an accident,” his son, Humboldt Broncos player Nick Shumlanski, screamed into the phone. 

Myles jumped into his vehicle and rushed to the scene, about a quarter mile from his home. He and his wife were the first, and to his knowledge only, family members to actually witness the tragedy that struck his son’s hockey team.

“As soon as I came,” he said, “I knew that it was a disaster.

“It was a pretty devastating sight.”

Nick came running over to him. He was one of only two kids who seemed able to walk. Some were stuck under debris, Myles said. Most couldn’t move. Everyone was in a state of shock.

Myles put Nick in the car and immediately went to work, along with passing motorists who’d stopped to help. “It was chaos,” he said. They held the kids steady and did what they could while they waited for emergency workers to arrive.

“People were getting blankets. You were taking your jackets. You were doing anything to cover these boys,” he said. “They were in snow and ice and it was very cold yesterday. They were in very bad shape.”

Minutes felt like hours, Myles said. He surveyed the damage and saw a bus that was almost unrecognizable, its roof mostly torn off.

He figured there were more kids stuck inside.

He said the first firefighters arrived around 5:20 p.m., though he admits his sense of time is hazy. Myles said he knew some of the volunteers at the Tisdale department.

“My boy was on this bus, oh my God,” he remembers calling out to them. “You guys need more help … get more help.”

Confident that the scene was in good hands, he rushed Nick to the hospital in Tisdale. He saw other families start pouring in, including billet moms and dads from Humboldt. Vague, confused information was flying around.

“In the hospital you’d hear that this one passed away. You’d talk to a couple parents,” he said. “‘We haven’t found where our boy is.’ If you didn’t know which hospital your boy was at and it was three hours later, you knew it was a problem.”

Nick needed to go to Saskatoon for further treatment, and Myles heard there’d be a flight. But kids in worse shape kept coming in. They took priority.

“There was a shortage of planes,” he said. “They had planes from Edmonton coming to move some of these kids”

He saw kids supporting each other, as they learned who among their teammates didn’t make it.

“They broke down,” he said. “When you’re playing on a team like that, they’re brothers. They’re not teammates, they’re brothers.”

The doctors gave Nick a scan. He had some broken bones, but he was okay. At 6 a.m. Saturday he was released.

“He’s actually a miracle,” Myles remembers a doctor saying.

nick-shumlanski-jpg.jpg?w=300&quality=60

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

For those that have not seen this, this is incredible.  Really hard to keep a dry eye.

It was a very somber moment. Not sure I've experienced one quite like that. It was my first Jets game this year. Unforgettable.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I'm in tears reading this.....

This one is a tough read too as I read that trauma teams didn't receive patients until 9:00 PM.  It seems they went to the local hospital first and then flown into Saskatoon.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/canada/for-doctor-treating-bronco-crash-victims-the-longest-worst-and-most-tragic-night/wcm/ac3b55a4-bdca-4798-8d11-607231e8c073