Much Love to the Humboldt Broncos!

pilldoc

On 4/8/2018 at 12:07 PM, pilldoc said:

I'm in tears reading this.....

You're not alone.

Very emotional reading all this. My stomach in knots. God bless all those involved in this resue effort and especially the families who lost a loved one.

Here is an interview with one of the dads who lost a son. Warning it is very sad.

It's former Flyers and Penguin Chris Joseph:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/chris-joseph-reflects-on-his-tremendous-loss~1352124

Edited by OccamsRazor

This is a great read of Ryan's story.

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/hockey/pain-doesnt-last-forever-humboldt-bus-crash-survivor-shows-strength-as-fight-continues/wcm/b4227e6e-74a2-406f-a95a-796e02588fb1

3 hours ago, blocker said:

Lots of front doors around here with hockey sticks displayed.  I took a few old Sherwoods from my basement rafters and put them on the porch.    

Sad.

“We love the game and they’re showing if they’re still out there, pick up a stick and start a game.”

awesome quote

Pretty hard to read any of those stories without welling up. 

Tomorrow is National Hockey Jersey Day in Canada...in support of the victims of the Broncos bus crash. Most businesses are allowing their employees to wear them to work. Of course our neighbors to the south are welcome to join in. 

It would probably shock most people to think that a province which looks like this

309.JPG

would be a very dangerous place to drive, but they would be wrong. Saskatchewan is the most dangerous place to drive in Canada.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan-is-the-most-dangerous-place-to-drive-in-canada/

The number of people killed on highways there is twice the national average. My wife has lost 4 family members and friends to separate highway crashes, several classmates in high school, and she can't hope to offer a number for the number of victims she saw as an OR Nurse in Regina.

And farm accidents? Don't even get me started. She's lost more to those than on the highway.

19 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

It would probably shock most people to think that a province which looks like this

309.JPG

would be a very dangerous place to drive, but they would be wrong. Saskatchewan is the most dangerous place to drive in Canada.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan-is-the-most-dangerous-place-to-drive-in-canada/

The number of people killed on highways there is twice the national average. My wife has lost 4 family members and friends to separate highway crashes, several classmates in high school, and she can't hope to offer a number for the number of victims she saw as an OR Nurse in Regina.

And farm accidents? Don't even get me started. She's lost more to those than on the highway.

Nuts.

I've driven across the gap more than most (was finishing grad school in Calgary but my young daughter was in Wpg, not to mention all the bus trips, playing in places like Humboldt, Nipawin, Yorkton, Prince Albert, North Battleford, Melfort, Esterhazy, Moose Jaw, Swift Current: you name it, I've played there). 

One of the dangerous things about driving in SK is that it is so flat, so straight, so boring that people fall asleep. And the black ice. I've never seen black ice like I've seen in SK.

Edited by Podein25

I've seen all the memorial shows about this incident but I've never heard anything about HOW the accident happened, or any details about the cause of the accident. How do 15+ people die on a bus?  Did it roll off the side of a cliff? Was this a head-on collision with a transport truck? Some details are usually helpful in cases like these.  :(

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Nuts.

I've driven across the gap more than most (was finishing grad school in Calgary but my young daughter (the inestimable Podein25 Jr) was in Wpg, not to mention all the bust trips, playing in places like Humboldt, Nipawin, Yorkton, Prince Albert, North Battleford, Melfort, Esterhazy, Moose Jaw, Swift Current: you name it, I've played there). 

One of the dangerous things about driving in SK is that it is so flat, so straight, so boring that people fall asleep. And the black ice. I've never seen black ice like I've seen in SK.

When you add in Saskatchewan having a small population (thus equaling a small tax base) yet more km of highway than any other province, the condition of the roads can be very spotty. There are times when the Red Coat Trail, running east-west across the southern part of the province, is better driven in a lunar rover than a car or truck. Any day you go out for a highway drive, you'll encounter large farm equipment, overlapping the single lanes, being driven. I've been following equipment, in this scenario, where we encountered an equally large vehicle coming from the opposite direction, forcing all to slow down where they each drove on the shoulder. They barely slowed down.

You've seen the drifting snow in the winter: sometimes it dances across the highway so much it can almost trick your eyes, and make it feel as if you're floating on a cloud. It can be very easy to lose your place in the road in those conditions.

36 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Saskatchewan is the most dangerous place to drive in Canada.

It's a combination of:

• Artificially low speed limits (in the US, they would be driving 80mph on a road like that)
  • Poor traffic separation (the oncoming traffic needs to separated by a median)
  • Have extra wide shoulders so tractors and other farm equipment are not riding down the lane where regular traffic is
  • Have sections of road where it forks to two lanes so faster traffic can overtake.

But it all costs money. Thousands of miles of road and not many people that live out that way, thus nobody to pay for infrastructure upgrades.  :(

Many of Ontario's roads are dated and unsafe too, and it takes so long for the government to finally upgrade them. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I've seen all the memorial shows about this incident but I've never heard anything about HOW the accident happened, or any details about the cause of the accident. How do 15+ people die on a bus?  Did it roll off the side of a cliff? Was this a head-on collision with a transport truck? Some details are usually helpful in cases like these.  :(

A cliff?

The only cliff you'll find in Saskatchewan is located in a phonebook.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

A cliff?

The only cliff you'll find in Saskatchewan is located in a phonebook.

LOL. :)

I was being sarcastic of course, but I'm picturing a highway overpass or something.  Busses are heavy, so people don't usually die in bus crashes until it rolls over or unless it hits a similarly large object like a transport truck. Anything less than that and nobody would even have a scratch on them.  

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

LOL. :)

I was being sarcastic of course, but I'm picturing a highway overpass or something.  Busses are heavy, so people don't usually die in bus crashes until it rolls over or unless it hits a similarly large object like a transport truck. Anything less than that and nobody would even have a scratch on them.  

The roof of the bus was ripped off. The front was also obliterated by the looks of it.

Best guess is the tractor trailer went through the stop sign and the bus hit it and then went sliding along the pavement, sheering off the roof. 

There are a copse of trees there that obscure the view, and the truck driver was heading West (so looking into the sun). But it looks like he may not have stopped at the stop sign.

Speculation, of course

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

The roof of the bus was ripped off. The front was also obliterated by the looks of it.

Best guess is the tractor trailer went through the stop sign and the bus hit it and then went sliding along the pavement, sheering off the roof. 

There are a copse of trees there that obscure the view, and the truck driver was heading West (so looking into the sun). But it looks like he may not have stopped at the stop sign.

Speculation, of course

I figured it would have had to have been something like that.  :( 

I've heard that there's been an incredible rise in the number of accidents involving transport trucks in the past year. 

I have no doubt it's a combination of driver fatigue/boredom, working unusual hours, and poor driver education/training because they're so desperate for truck drivers all the time.  

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I figured it would have had to have been something like that.  :( 

I've heard that there's been an incredible rise in the number of accidents involving transport trucks in the past year. 

I have no doubt it's a combination of driver fatigue/boredom, working unusual hours, and poor driver education/training because they're so desperate for truck drivers all the time.  

Yeah, I suppose. The driver, in this case, was not that experienced by the sounds of it. 

23 hours ago, hf101 said:

The bus T-boned the tractor trailer. The tractor trailer had a stop sign as the bus traveled down the highway.  Sun glare may have been a factor in the crash. 

I heard the trucker was mentally ill.

• Uggh... 1

44 minutes ago, Devin Wieser said:

I heard the trucker was mentally ill.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/world/americas/humboldt-broncos-highway-safety.html

There is absolutely nothing to substantiate that claim.

"The police have not named the 30-year-old driver of the truck, owned by Adesh Deol Trucking of Calgary, Alberta. He survived and was detained before being released.

Sukhmander Singh, the owner of the company, told the Globe and Mail, a Toronto newspaper, that the man completed his driver training about two weeks ago.

“The driver is not doing well, the guy is going to the doctor, the guy is scared, the guy is not able to eat,” Mr. Singh said."

I would be ill too if I was just involved in a horrific MVA in which many young people parrished.

"Mr. Lalonde will not join in the crash speculation. But he said that whatever safety improvements are made, Saskatchewan’s residents may need to rethink how they drive. Speeding is common, he said, on lightly trafficked highways, usually with wide shoulders, that run mainly in straight lines and have relatively few highway patrols.

“The thing that I think makes it a dangerous intersection is that it’s a high speed intersection,” Mr. Lalonde said."

"Many people said they assumed that the truck driver passed through Highway 35’s stop sign before being hit by the bus. Others suggest that the truck driver, who had only recently completed his training, may have encountered a problem when turning his vehicle left onto Highway 35 and was struck because of a moment’s inattention by the bus driver."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/11/death-toll-in-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-reaches-16.html

Police say the uninjured truck driver was initially detained but later released and provided with mental health assistance

To say the driver had mental issues is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.  As I stated above, I would need mental health assistance after being involved in such a tragic horrifying accident.  To report otherwise is irresponsible.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

To say the driver had mental issues is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.  As I stated above, I would need mental health assistance after being involved in such a tragic horrifying accident.  To report otherwise is irresponsible.

Yes. If killing 16 and altering the life forever of 13 others and an entire community isn't the definition of trauma, I don't know what is. 

And yeah, I think it's entirely possible that he didn't miss or roll through the stop sign at all.  

• Like 1

There was a tribute to a young girl that passed away from a form of childhood cancer.  One player, Rocco Grimaldi, was the only player on the ice, took a flower and placed it on the center ice face off dot. 

Then came the tribute to the Humboldt Broncos.  All the players and referees lined up around the center ice face off circle. After the PA announcer said a few words, all the players took a flower and placed it on the center ice face off dot. The arena was absolutely silent for the moment of silence.  It was extremely difficult to hold it together.

ahl-grand-rapids-griffins-vs-san-antonio-rampage_27549007348_o_845_565_c1.jpg

7 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

There was a tribute to a young girl that passed away from a form of childhood cancer.  One player, Rocco Grimaldi, was the only player on the ice, took a flower and placed it on the center ice face off dot. 

Then came the tribute to the Humboldt Broncos.  All the players and referees lined up around the center ice face off circle. After the PA announcer said a few words, all the players took a flower and placed it on the center ice face off dot. The arena was absolutely silent for the moment of silence.  It was extremely difficult to hold it together.

ahl-grand-rapids-griffins-vs-san-antonio-rampage_27549007348_o_845_565_c1.jpg

wow. it's been one week since I first saw a few tweets of the accident and was horrified.  I'm still glued to the amazing acts of respect, kindness, and strength shown throughout the hockey world.  

this tweet got to me today.   :bye:

DarluhzW0AAJfr_.jpg:large

• Like 1