Jets (C2) vs. Wild (C3)

Game 1: April 11 at Winnipeg, 7 p.m.
Game 2: April 13 at Winnipeg, 7:30 p.m.
Game 3: April 15 at Minnesota, 7 p.m.
Game 4: April 17 at Minnesota, 8 p.m.
*Game 5: April 20 at Winnipeg, TBD
*Game 6: April 22 at Minnesota, TBD
*Game 7: April 25 at Winnipeg, TBD

I took the Jets in 7,  the Jets are a dangerous young hungry club but also have there share of solid vets, the Wild lost Suter and have Boudreau and his postseason resume. I came close to picking the Wild but the decimated defense tilts the scale.

Love to see fresh blood in the NHL Playoffs.  Agree with @yave1964, the Jets are young dangerous team who can score.  The Wild might sneak a win or two, but the Jets literally have more firepower.

Jets in 6

Man, I just don't like this match up for the Minnesota Wild.

Winnipeg is big, fast, can score, have good goaltending, and now, even seem to play a good defensive game too.

And all this while working through key injuries without missing too much of a beat.

Really shows the team's depth.

The Wild on the other hand, have always been scrappy all season.

They too suffered key injures (and will be without Ryan Suter and possibly Jared Spurgeon to start the playoffs) and the guys asked to fill in have done an ok job...though far from an elite one.

And Devan Dubnyk can look outstanding all game......but just one little miscue, and he lets in a bad goal.

In past series, Minnesota could always rely on overall team speed to make up for shortages in other areas...but this year's version of the Wild, while certainly not a "slow" group, isn't as quick, especially on the bottom six, as they were in the past.

Couple that with Winnipeg's speed top to bottom to go along with their size advantage, and you can see why I think Minnesota truly has their work cut out for them.

Wild's best chances are to jump on the Jets early in games and FINISH on any and all scoring chances given to them, and for the love of puck, stay the HELL out of the penalty box!!

I think I am being a bit generous giving Minnesota 2 games, but I am hoping, as a fan of theirs, to be proven wrong here.

In past playoffs, I dreamed of a Wpg-Min match up (the regular season games at either building are always electric both on the ice and in the stands), but that was when I felt Minny had better overall teams Lines1-4 and in the defensive pairings 1-3.

Now, seems to me, the 'Peg have the edge in all those departments.

Rooting Wild, but I think the Jets will simply be too much for them...especially if the Wild are going to be without Ryan Suter.

Can't stress enough how much of a difference maker in many aspects Suter makes for this team and Wild fans may see just how much he means to them in a playoff series when he ISN'T there.

Sadly, Jets in 6.

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

I'd love to see the Wild move on to the next round, but I think the Jets just might win it all this year.

Jets in 6.

"Oh, Canada... :canada: 

it's been a long, long, long, 

and a lonely, lonely, lonely time!" :searching: ..... :stanleycup: 

Just imagine how much Jets fans already go off. And then 

imagine Winnipeg winning it all. And doing so at home! TV screens 

would explode across the world with all the noise. :dizzysmiley-1: 

But it'd be worth my own personal budgetary hit to experience such a thing!    

Heck I can still hear echoes from prior great playoff White-Outs! :jets:      

13 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

"Oh, Canada... :canada: 

it's been a long, long, long, 

and a lonely, lonely, lonely time!" :searching: ..... :stanleycup: 

Just imagine how much Jets fans already go off. And then 

imagine Winnipeg winning it all. And doing so at home! TV screens 

would explode across the world with all the noise. :dizzysmiley-1: 

But it'd be worth my own personal budgetary hit to experience such a thing!    

Heck I can still hear echoes from prior great playoff White-Outs! :jets:      

Are you from Winnipeg?

47 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Looks like Mason has caught Neuvy flu.....

...sorry there is no vaccine available for that...

Meh...not like that matters.

No way was Mason gonna get in a game as long as Hellebuyck is playing like he is and the Jets are 1 win away from advancing.

In fact, I would have called Paul Maurice insane if he even entertained the idea of putting in Mason against the Wild tonight.

Time for Minnesota fans to break out the clichés....because right now, it's all they have.

--It's not over till the other team wins 4

--Take it one game at a time

--All hands on deck, for there may not be a next game

--Win one, take back the momentum

--Hardest game to win is the one to close out the other team

Just a handful...there are probably a ton more.

I will concede that the Jets simply seem like the bigger, faster, and just better overall team even before this series started.

Losing Ryan Suter and then Zach Parise, while not changing that a whole lot, certainly didn't help.

Still though, if the Wild have any pride in their game whatsoever, they will come out and play this game like it is Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

I mean, leave it ALL out there....even though it still may not be enough.

If they lose, then they can take solace in the fact that they did all they could, but sometimes it's not enough.

There should be NO whimpering into the night for this group.

If Minnesota can steal Game 5 on the road, then we can pile on even MORE clichés for them to work with!  :)

Let's see if Minny can't delay that seemingly inevitable Winnipeg-Nashville divisional finals in Round 2, shall we?

Go Wild!

There was a disarray and demoralization to the Wild that 

made me stop watching after it was 3 - 0. I was tempted 

to stop even earlier. They showed next to nothing that

indicated it'd be a game. 

Which's too bad: because it was fun to have two teams, 

with fans who get appropriately mental about the game, :) 

meet up in the postseason. 

I hope they battle in the playoffs again soon. In a series that 

goes at least six and preferably seven. 

Future: 

:rockin: :wild: v. :jets: :horn: 

I do wanna say that I'm happy for the Winnipeg faithful. 

I know they've been jonesin to see their boyos win a series. 

And it's extra sweet to see something historic on home ice. 

All I thought when I was watching the first period was "damn, the Wild are going to give up on their All-Star goalie and he is going to look like an idiot out there."

I know they were dealing with a ton of injuries, but the Wild didn't even get off the plane until the second period. Stalock kept them in the game, but the Wild were just a shell of themselves without key players.

Mikko Koivu looked hurt the whole series, so that was just another injury that led to their downfall. Suter and Parise need to be healthy for this team to go anywhere.

Losing Parise is such a mental let down for this team.  I am not saying they would have won.  But they would have showed up.  Parise is the life support of this team.  Winnipeg now gets a shot at a deeper opponent.  I guess I would not have any problem seeing a team that is small market like my Sabres winning the Cup.  But many battles left to fight for that to happen

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Losing Parise is such a mental let down for this team.  I am not saying they would have won.  But they would have showed up.  Parise is the life support of this team.  Winnipeg now gets a shot at a deeper opponent.  I guess I would not have any problem seeing a team that is small market like my Sabres winning the Cup.  But many battles left to fight for that to happen

Right now, I see them beating the Predators in the second round. Nashville isn't getting as good of goaltending, and is struggling with the speed of Colorado. Winnipeg has similar (or more) speed, and should cause them fits.

What a way for the Wild to go out.

I posted before this game that Minnesota shouldn't go out with a whimper....and that's exactly what they did.

I freely admit that the Jets just had more of everything....they showed that in the regular season meetings. And while I don't normally put a bunch of stock in regular season vs the post season, fact was, in just about every facet of the game, Winnipeg just looked better and that didn't change in Round 1.

What I DID want from Minnesota was a gutsy effort, short staffed be damned, that would've made the Jets earn every bit of any close out game.

That just didn't happen. And the worse part is, I am not so sure even WITH Parise and Suter in there that the Wild would have fared any differently.

The Wild just literally looked like a deer in headlights in this game.

I can't help but think that change HAS to come in the off season.

Is Bruce Boudreau the man to lead this team from behind the bench?

That is certainly debate worthy.

Boudreau has a winning track record....in the regular season....but he does so with a certain type of roster and play style. One which, right now, the Wild are not equipped to play.

Boudreau's past Capitals and Ducks teams were big bruisers who checked the hell out of you and scored once they wore you down. They weren't particularly defensively responsible and often left the goalie to just deal with scoring chances. Hence why Coach Boudreau probably is a better regular season coach than a playoff coach.

So either the Wild will need to change the roster to better suit Boudreau's preferred style, or the coach will have to adapt to what he has, recognize team strengths, and build upon that.....or the third option, get a new coach who understands what the Wild have and what they sorely need moving forward.

Bottom line is, things cannot stay the same for Minnesota. This last game against the Jets proved that emphatically.

A grudging congrats to the Jets. The better team here moved on.

I fully expect the Predators to get by the Avalanche and a WPG-NSH series should be pretty entertaining, bruising, and may go long.

8 hours ago, belowthegoalline said:

Right now, I see them beating the Predators in the second round. Nashville isn't getting as good of goaltending, and is struggling with the speed of Colorado. Winnipeg has similar (or more) speed, and should cause them fits.

Agree but I still think its about a toss up

Archived