Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers

pilldoc

Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Pens Sweep 4-0
    • Pens in 5
    • Pens in 6
    • Pens in 7
    • Flyers Sweep 4-0
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7

Holy @#$%!! We made it this far and nothing about the edge in officiating that the Pens are sure to have and Rocky....I mean the Flyers...will have to overcome. :haha2:

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went for Flyers in 6, though that's more what I'd like it to turn out to be rather than how I think it'd turn out. Regardless of which team wins the Flyers will make sure they're a pain all the way through.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

In understand the Philadelphians' need to find that perpetual chip on their collective shoulders but a Philly win would not be "that" much of an upset. The Pens finished with 2 more points than the Flyers in the regular season.  Both teams have 3 players with 75+ points.

This isn't Tyson/Douglas, NC State/Houston, USA/Russia or Rocky/Drago. :VeryCool:

The Pens should and will likely be favored. If this were an NFL game? 3 points for home field.

Season series sweep aside, this is accurate.

The Flyers legitimately could have won 3 of the 4 games this season against the Pens.

There was a winter blowout, (sounds like a hair treatment) where the Flyers played poorly for 5 minutes and the Pens scored eleventy-million goals.  In the other 3 games same deal, the Flyers play well but for 3 or 4 minutes and the Pens jump them. two games decided in OT...sure they were L s for our guys but a bounce could have changed that. 

Where the Pens are superior in my eyes is around the net, they tie up sticks defensively, their forwards do a great job lifting sticks on rebounds and offensively they are always on the ice ready for any bounce that comes their way.  If a team can get that extra millisecond to get their mitts on the puck before a yellow trimmed sweater ties them up they can find success.

I don't think the Pens have better depth, I do think their top two lines are better than ours by a little bit.  I don't think I will think this for long, Nolan Patrick is really coming into his own, and if this is the start he's going to be a handful in 2  years. 

B is right, the Pens didn't run away with the division and coast to the finish. They can be had, Bonino>Brassard .

Brassard>Filpula but not by much. 

The games this season have been entertaining I hope that trend continues.

This one's tough to call for me: 

Pitt looking playoff-questionable season first half; 

Philly not on my proven imprecise playoff radar. 

I'll be pulling for the Pens--

so that of course will work against them :lol: --

but I think their experience will give them the edge. 

This series drains both teams, gets into some 

recent Calgary v. Vancouver postseason brutality. :hehe: 

Neither Philly nor Pitt makes it past the second round.  

This one wears out both teams. 

58 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

This one wears out both teams. 

This....These teams usually have very entertaining/contested games. I picked Pitt in 6 on the goaltender factor alone. Pens would have scored about 8 on Elliot(if they had played the Pens instead of the Rags) and still could if he continues to put himself so far out of position. What I am hoping for more than anything is a fairly officiated game. :flyer:

11 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

Not this year!!!!!

That was coming from the notorious Buffalo Rick. The dude couldn't predict precipitation in the middle of a hurricane. 

Wow, Florida won out. Guess the Rangers game truly was a must win - or at least must tie.

Here are the Pens lines from dailyfaceoff.com ( @B21 @nossagog and other Pens fans, feel free to correct) -

Flyers Pens
Giroux/Couturier/Raffl Guentzel/Crosby/Rust
Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek Hagelin/Malkin/Hornqvist
Konecny/Filppula/Simmonds Sheary/Sheahan/Kessel
Read/Laughton/Lehtera Aston-Reese/Jooris/Kuhnackl
Provorov/Ghost Dumoulin/Letang
Sanheim/MacDonald Maatta/Schultz
Manning/Gudas Hunwick/Oleksiak

Where’s Brassard? Is he injured?

In any case, how do you think the Flyers should match lines?

17 hours ago, B21 said:

In understand the Philadelphians' need to find that perpetual chip on their collective shoulders but a Philly win would not be "that" much of an upset. The Pens finished with 2 more points than the Flyers in the regular season.  Both teams have 3 players with 75+ points.

This isn't Tyson/Douglas, NC State/Houston, USA/Russia or Rocky/Drago. :VeryCool:

The Pens should and will likely be favored. If this were an NFL game? 3 points for home field.

If the playoffs were the regular season, I'd agree with you 100%. They're not.

The Pens have won two cups in a row. That experience means a hell of a lot more than 2 points in the regular season does.The Flyers playoff experience isn't quite on that level. Half the team doesn't even know what winning ONE round is like. 

I'd want at least a touchdown if I were betting on the Flyers on the gridiron. More like 8 or 9.

17 hours ago, B21 said:

Holy @#$%!! We made it this far and nothing about the edge in officiating that the Pens are sure to have and Rocky....I mean the Flyers...will have to overcome. :haha2:

I hate Rocky. 

Unless it's the Bullwinkle Rocky. 

13 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Pittsburgh in 6.  An eventual showdown with the Capitals is inevitable.  Not that I am discounting Tampa or Boston in East.  But Washington and Pittsburgh always seem to find a way to meet

YES!!!! 

(thank you Lord...the cup is ours!)

14 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Pittsburgh in 6.  An eventual showdown with the Capitals is inevitable.  Not that I am discounting Tampa or Boston in East.  But Washington and Pittsburgh always seem to find a way to meet

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anything you want. New Lumina? On me.  This one is nice...

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/35755537

Low miles! Must go!

47 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If the playoffs were the regular season, I'd agree with you 100%. They're not.

The Pens have won two cups in a row. That experience means a hell of a lot more than 2 points in the regular season does.The Flyers playoff experience isn't quite on that level. Half the team doesn't even know what winning ONE round is like

I was going to say similar in response to @B21.   The champs are the champs until someone knocks them off.   They're back-to-back champs.   I think the experience factor does play a bigger part here than I would ordinarily attribute to it.   

The other thing, too, is that someone posted Murray's numbers vs. Elliott.   And that's something to hang your hat on if you're a Philly fan, but the past two years there has been a fairly big difference between Murray the regular season goalie and Murray the playoff goalie.  He did start on the shelf last year and this time around he doesn't have Fleury to back him, so that may be another hat-hanging thing.

I just think this is an awfully steep hill.  It's not impossible, and I completely get what B21 is saying (I also get that he tends to be "don't smack talk--karma").   I just think this is the Pens' series to lose.     Depending how long the series goes, those saying that it could hurt them afterward might be onto something (like the Leafs did to the Flyers backinaday).

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I was going to say similar in response to @B21.   The champs are the champs until someone knocks them off.   They're back-to-back champs.   I think the experience factor does play a bigger part here than I would ordinarily attribute to it.   

The other thing, too, is that someone posted Murray's numbers vs. Elliott.   And that's something to hang your hat on if you're a Philly fan, but the past two years there has been a fairly big difference between Murray the regular season goalie and Murray the playoff goalie.  He did start on the shelf last year and this time around he doesn't have Fleury to back him, so that may be another hat-hanging thing.

I just think this is an awfully steep hill.  It's not impossible, and I completely get what B21 is saying (I also get that he tends to be "don't smack talk--karma").   I just think this is the Pens' series to lose.     Depending how long the series goes, those saying that it could hurt them afterward might be onto something (like the Leafs did to the Flyers backinaday).

This is exactly it. The Pens' leaders are miles ahead of the Flyers' leaders in terms of playoff experience and the will to actually get it done - to reach the ultimate goal. 

Giroux is the ONLY player left from the 2010 roster. The Pens still have Crosby, Malkin, Letang (may be others) all the way back from their first Cup in 2009.

Almost their entire roster is made up of one or two time Cup winners.

By comparison, the Flyers have two players - Filppula and Oduya (who will be serving premium popcorn).

The message for the Flyers should be to play loose, and enjoy the ride. They've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. The pressure should be on the Pens.

57 minutes ago, B21 said:

Low miles! Must go!

Throw in some halibut and a few Applebee's gift cards and he will be taking the Flyers in 4

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Konecny/Filppula/Simmonds vs.Sheary/Sheahan/Kessel

I think this will be the difference in the games right here these two lines.

The one who supports the other top two lines the most will be the difference between winning the series or not.

53 minutes ago, B21 said:

Low miles! Must go!

Consider it revenge for our Mrazek remark!!!!!!!!!!!! :hehe:

Archived