Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers

pilldoc

Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Pens Sweep 4-0
    • Pens in 5
    • Pens in 6
    • Pens in 7
    • Flyers Sweep 4-0
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Your second line doesn't have a center, but other than that... Nah, the third line is silly, too. 

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It's been Giroux, Coots and TK fit months and they've been one of the best lines in hockey. Why would you suddenly put Giroux and TK with dumb ass?  That didn't work last year and it still has TK on the wrong side of the ice.   Put the top line back together and keep Jake with Patrick and Lindblom.  51,12,and 17 will suck but at least there will be two lines instead of none. 

Now your line has no center...... Replace filp with Read and you got a deal....

8 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

How is he wrong we got the last two calls late in the game ....two little too late...

You can't argue with know it alls.

Don't bother he is right everyone else I wrong types.

Exactly they get two gimme calls with 4 minutes left in the game down 5-1. 

The officiating sucked, but wasn't the cause of the loss, but if it had been done right, the Flyers might of won with it. They need to let them play from the beginning or be consistent with the ticky-tack calls from the beginning.

Pittsburgh also had too many men on the ice and it wasn't called.

They should of called the stick taps to the hands on the shot on goal and the hook to TK skating around the back of the net.

I would put TK back on the first line.

Hakstol is probably going conservative with his lines.

We need guys that shoot the puck on net more often:

TK, Weal, Laughton(as long as he has line mates that can shoot off the rebounds he gives)

Give Jake some Vodka before the game and he'll turn to Vora-shots.

Enough of this Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for PP1 of " We have to pass it at least four times at our umbrella before we can shoot it", debacle. (I turned the light switch on and off three times before leaving the room malfeasance.) 

We should try for a few shifts:

G / Coots / Jake (Vet presence) 

OL / Pat / TK (explosive youthful presence)

Weal / Laughts / Simmer (blue collar presence)

Read / Flip / Raffy (persistent presence)

Hungry Dogs Run Faster

Provo / Ghost

Hagg / Mc Pa pa

Sans / Gudha

Doo it...Doo it.

7 hours ago, brelic said:

There’s no middle ground with this team. This series is a microcosm of the season - extreme highs and lows. 

Our goaltending is unreliable but we already knew that. Giroux has played a much smaller game than Crosby. He’s mostly a non factor so far. Crosby’s winning the battle by a lot. It’s not a criticism, it’s just the facts so far. 

The team looked great in the 1st period, but couldn’t capitalize on about 3 excellent chances, and kinda lost the hometown energy. Their play sagged from 2nd period puck drop.

Then they got really undisciplined and the Pens cashed in, and the Flyers didn’t score on their own PP.

Still just 2-1 in the series though. Win on Wednesday, then it’s best of three. If the Flyers win this series, it will be because Elliott stood on his head at least three more times. That’s kinda what it comes down to, unfortunately. 

We can’t rely on scoring 3+ goals to win. We need Elliott to summon three more great ones.

Can he do it?

THREE? Elliot? Haha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Due to their love for “an assist”, Giroux and Voracek should never be on the same line again 5x5 because Coots will develop shoulder issues from having to take all of the shots when that line is in the ice. 

IF Simmonds was 100% healthy (he’s not IMO) I would put him up on the first line. 

I think a second line of TK,Patrick & Voracek could be successful provided Jake could find it upon himself to actually shoot a hockey puck once every 3rd shift.

The bottom six doesn’t really matter because their basically all the same. 

Say what you want about Weal but he was the leading point getter against the Pens in the regular season. That alone should find a spot for him on the 3rd or 4th line. As far as Hagg goes, I am not even going to bring it up because we have beaten that horse to death. He should be in the lineup (brought it up sorry).

Even if the Flyers were to ice their best 18 players and their goalie was able to steal a game, we have a head coach that does not seem capable of making in game adjustments or even trying to control momentum. Hakstol should have called a TO after the 3rd goal! If so, maybe the 4th doesn’t go in 5 seconds later.

@Samifan

I like where you're going with that, except I would swap TK and Simmonds. TK already has great chemistry with Coots and G, and I think he'd be more effective in the short term there - and short-term is all we got right now.

G/Coots/TK

Simmonds/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/Filppula/Raffl

Read/Laughton/Lehtera

Weal? I don't know, maybe. He can be good in spurts, but hasn't really shown that in a while. 

I know it's not the "time" for this...but "we" (Flyers fans...People who live in and around Philly...whoever), have to stop this non-sense.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/sidney-crosby-flyers-penguins-nhl-playoffs-20180415.html

Lets try something different! Can the flyers faithful simply cheer like crazy every time Syd touches the puck?! This whole "booing him" and slamming him in the media and putting his picture in a urinal (really?....) is just STUPID and CLEARLY does not work!

The guy comes into our house and THRIVES off it....yet our "GENIUS" fan base keeps it up YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR.....GAME AFTER GAME.

NOW. Crosby scores so much cuz he is a once in a lifetime type player....NOT cuz we boo him. BUT....it certainly does not help! Makes home ice advantage seem "worthless"....

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” A. Einstein.

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

or what purpose? I wish the board would stop with Lyon. He's not an NHL goalie and he never will be. Put him in he gets lit up. I know, so do the other guys, but it's pointless to bring him up just to do no better than the others and for no other "future" purpose. 

Rux:

I will plead guilty as charged. That said, Elliott may not be a good playoff goalie and his 2 of 3 "bombing" may not inspire confidence. OK, if it isn't Lyon, let it be "other."  

Ahhh, the eternal question in Philly...what's up with Flyers' goal....

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I know it's not the "time" for this...but "we" (Flyers fans...People who live in and around Philly...whoever), have to stop this non-sense.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/sidney-crosby-flyers-penguins-nhl-playoffs-20180415.html

Lets try something different! Can the flyers faithful simply cheer like crazy every time Syd touches the puck?! This whole "booing him" and slamming him in the media and putting his picture in a urinal (really?....) is just STUPID and CLEARLY does not work!

The guy comes into our house and THRIVES off it....yet our "GENIUS" fan base keeps it up YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR.....GAME AFTER GAME.

NOW. Crosby scores so much cuz he is a once in a lifetime type player....NOT cuz we boo him. BUT....it certainly does not help! Makes home ice advantage seem "worthless"....

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” A. Einstein.

I remember when Hatcher crosschecked him in the teeth when he was 18? 19? and hearing lots of Philly fans thinking it was so great. I just shook my head and thought, great, now you've got the best player in the world pissed off at your organization for his entire career.

Crosby might have been a whiny suck. He might have been easy to get off his game at one time.  But he's never been a quitter. 

19 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I remember when Hatcher crosschecked him in the teeth when he was 18? 19?

That was the beginning....

What's next? His photo in urinals at the Wells Fargo Center? Oh wait - nevermind. :VeryCool:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/13541585-74/sidney-crosby-photos-appear-in-urinals-at-flyers-wells-fargo-center

1 minute ago, B21 said:

That was the beginning....

What's next? His photo in urinals at the Wells Fargo Center? Oh wait - nevermind. :VeryCool:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/13541585-74/sidney-crosby-photos-appear-in-urinals-at-flyers-wells-fargo-center

Ya, that was already mentioned in the post I was replying to...I just don't get it. 

55 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Rux:

I will plead guilty as charged. That said, Elliott may not be a good playoff goalie and his 2 of 3 "bombing" may not inspire confidence. OK, if it isn't Lyon, let it be "other."  

Ahhh, the eternal question in Philly...what's up with Flyers' goal....

Yeah, can't argue with the Elliott point.    It's horrible.    

And the eternal question is confounding, to say the least.   It's just a perpetual state of affairs, isn't it?   I know they think they have two good ones coming but aren't ready yet.   You almost have to be waiting to see how the wheels come off that, don't you?   Again, though, I think they really weren't expecting to have this issue (goalie playoff disaster) until next year and now it's possible we have to suffer through it two years in a row!   I'm guessing the plan is for Hart and/or Sandstrom to be ready the following year.   But then either (or both) will be hitting those playoffs as rookies.     And, so we wait...

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, that was already mentioned in the post I was replying to...I just don't get it. 

It's that age old adage, "Haters gonna hate".  Your mention of the Hatcher thing brought back memories. I think Hitchcock was coaching the Flyers at the time.  When that play happened, he's over on the bench making diving motions indicating he wanted a dive on Crosby. Then he gets up bloddy and missing two teeth, with people still calling for a dive.  I think Hatcher got him with another high stick that same game, and with no call he complained to the ref and got a misconduct.  Added more fuel to the whiner label, and added more cost for the dental work.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And the eternal question is confounding, to say the least.   It's just a perpetual state of affairs, isn't it?   I know they think they have two good ones coming but aren't ready yet.   You almost have to be waiting to see how the wheels come off that, don't you?   Again, though, I think they really weren't expecting to have this issue (goalie playoff disaster) until next year and now it's possible we have to suffer through it two years in a row!   I'm guessing the plan is for Hart and/or Sandstrom to be ready the following year.   But then either (or both) will be hitting those playoffs as rookies.     And, so we wait...

I think the interesting short-term question is how to ditch Neuvirth?  Is it LTIR? Buyout? Demotion?  I just don't see how they responsibly keep him on the roster with the parent club? He cannot fulfill his duties as backup and he clogs the development arteries; meanwhile, his presence causes roster mess (hence the trade for PM).  So that is short-term puzzle Hexy and Company need to fix before the goalie path is clearer.

By the way, another year of Elliott is probably not so bad, if only because the coming year may be a developmental mess with a lot of roster changes.  

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I actually don't mind it. It's been done before apparently. Crosby didn't know about it until he was asked after the game. Now he has his "fuel" for Game 4.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Weal? I don't know, maybe. He can be good in spurts, but hasn't really shown that in a while. 

The Flyers only hope in this series is winning high scoring games. That being said Weal has more offensive potential than Read, Lehtera, Filpula and probably Laughton so that is why I was suggesting he draw in over one of them. 

Is he an NHL player, probably not but he is the best option for possible offense over those mentioned.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Remember Price's rookie year at 20 years old? He was great in the season, not so much in the playoffs. It wasn't until he was 23 that he found his playoff groove.

I feel like Sandstrom will be ready first. He's older, and playing against much tougher competition than Hart has ever faced. Sandstrom is playing against men, Hart is playing against boys. Big difference. 

Now, Hart might come in and dominate the AHL next year, and get a shot in the NHL to see where he's at as a 20 year old. But as you say, it would be quite unexpected for Hart to be a factor in the NHL at his age. He probably needs a few years. 

Elliott is coming back, no question. Mrazek is not, I'm almost 100% certain. Hextall will cut his losses.

Neuvirth is the question mark. He's signed, but completely unreliable, and he's taking away an opportunity for a guy like Stolarz or Hart.

Then again, we just have to wait until the 2nd intermission of his next game, and voila! Open roster spot. 

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I think the interesting short-term question is how to ditch Neuvirth?  Is it LTIR? Buyout? Demotion?  I just don't see how they responsibly keep him on the roster with the parent club? He cannot fulfill his duties as backup and he clogs the development arteries; meanwhile, his presence causes roster mess (hence the trade for PM).  So that is short-term puzzle Hexy and Company need to fix before the goalie path is clearer.

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

Neuvirth is the question mark. He's signed, but completely unreliable, and he's taking away an opportunity for a guy like Stolarz or Hart.

Yeah, I don't know what to do with Neuvirth.   "Unreliable" is kind.   "He cannot fulfill his duties as backup and he clogs the development arteries" is on point (and appropriately blunt).   Maybe if Stolarz proves healthy over the summer he gives them a backup option.  Otherwise, they really need to go shopping for a one- or two-year contract somewhere.   I would assume Elliott will still be the starter, so a reliable backup should suffice.   Clearly, Mrazek isn't it.   Hutton, Khudobin, Chad Johnson, Cam Ward, and Hutchinson are all UFAs.  There are others, but I'd start there.    None are exciting, but Hutton and Khudobin would be at least interesting to me.   A tandem of Ward & Elliott would be geriatric, but could suffice for a year if Ward wouldn't be that much.

I don't know.  But going into next year with Elliott and Neuvirth would be an exercise in stupidity.  It was this year, actually, but I think Neuvirth has to have made it abundantly clear to even Hextall that it really isn't an option.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Now he has his "fuel" for Game 4.

Exactly.....nice job "flyers fans"

Thanks for "energizing" the guy who already OWNS US in our own arena.....:bonkingheadonwall:

Oh well, Still a series! What we need is OUR best player to step it up too!

It's time Claude. That game 82 against the Rangers was pretty cool.....BUT......

18 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

And if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle!!

Favorite saying of mine +1

my aunt is really cool too, just doesn't have any balls.

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It's been Giroux, Coots and TK fit months and they've been one of the best lines in hockey. Why would you suddenly put Giroux and TK with dumb ass?  That didn't work last year and it still has TK on the wrong side of the ice.   Put the top line back together and keep Jake with Patrick and Lindblom.  51,12,and 17 will suck but at least there will be two lines instead of none. 

this,

the whole league hasn't had an answer for 28, 14,11 why break it up ?

use that group to dictate terms or at least draw even with 59, 87 and 17/72... sending TK down the lineup dilutes the firepower too much. 

Why not try to dictate the play with your strongest guys ? 

seems to me like coaching to not lose, rather than to win.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

seems to me like coaching to not lose, rather than to win.

This seems to be the mantra for Hakstol.   I'm becoming increasingly convinced of this.

14 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

The officiating sucked, but wasn't the cause of the loss, but if it had been done right, the Flyers might of won with it. They need to let them play from the beginning or be consistent with the ticky-tack calls from the beginning.

Pittsburgh also had too many men on the ice and it wasn't called.

They should of called the stick taps to the hands on the shot on goal and the hook to TK skating around the back of the net.

I would put TK back on the first line.

Hakstol is probably going conservative with his lines.

We need guys that shoot the puck on net more often:

TK, Weal, Laughton(as long as he has line mates that can shoot off the rebounds he gives)

Give Jake some Vodka before the game and he'll turn to Vora-shots.

Enough of this Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for PP1 of " We have to pass it at least four times at our umbrella before we can shoot it", debacle. (I turned the light switch on and off three times before leaving the room malfeasance.) 

We should try for a few shifts:

G / Coots / Jake (Vet presence) 

OL / Pat / TK (explosive youthful presence)

Weal / Laughts / Simmer (blue collar presence)

Read / Flip / Raffy (persistent presence)

Hungry Dogs Run Faster

Provo / Ghost

Hagg / Mc Pa pa

Sans / Gudha

Doo it...Doo it.

I think you meant to say "possessive "   compulsive disorder

Archived