Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers

pilldoc

Eastern Conference: Round 1 - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #3 Philadelphia Flyers  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Pens Sweep 4-0
    • Pens in 5
    • Pens in 6
    • Pens in 7
    • Flyers Sweep 4-0
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7

15 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Pittsburgh in 6.  An eventual showdown with the Capitals is inevitable.  Not that I am discounting Tampa or Boston in East.  But Washington and Pittsburgh always seem to find a way to meet

Here's to hoping it is on the  golf course..:cheers:

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Leach27 said:

flyers will have to beat the pens and the refs. 

Since Cindy's Burgh inception that is a norm......they just have to rise above it and find away no matter what.

Special teams need to step up.

Both PP and PK. They must be better.

I like Sanheim introduction to the 2nd PP.

2 hours ago, B21 said:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anything you want. New Lumina? On me.  This one is nice...

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/35755537

Low miles! Must go!

if you get him a new lumina, how is he going to have the time to cook the halibut while he waits for the car to warm up?

21 hours ago, B21 said:

Holy @#$%!! We made it this far and nothing about the edge in officiating that the Pens are sure to have and Rocky....I mean the Flyers...will have to overcome. :haha2:

Come on B21 fans know that the Pens will have to the edge with the officials because they're the reigning champs, have the best player in the game and Bettman doesn't like the Flyers! Bottom line, the Pens want to finish this series in 4 games without any injuries because they'll be ready for the second round. Unless Elliot is the second coming of Bernie Parent, the Flyers will have to be close to perfect to win this series but if they can extend the Pens to 6 or 7 games it's only going to be beneficial to the Flyers young players. The only question mark for the Pens is Matt Murray as to how healthy he is and the fact they don't have Fleury anymore if Murray gets injured or falters. Should be a fun series.

Couple things. Probably obvious but hey, I'm no great "hockey mind"....just a passionate fan of the game! :)

1) Simmonds needs to show up BIG TIME. Please Wayne....figure out a way to be effective regardless of your line mates!

2) We are going into this series with potentially more momentum than ANY OTHER TEAM in the playoffs right?! I mean that win in NYC had to be a HUGE boost to the locker room! Elliott with a shutout (albeit a borderline "gimme")! Giroux with the Hatty! Team has to be feeling pretty good....

3) we are SO DUE for some secondary scoring right?! Flip? Laughton line is due! Patrick and Simmonds are DUE! I think this will make a HUGE difference. Why was Flip "productive" and "meaningful" when he first showed up....and what has changed to make him virtually invisible!? Serious question.....

4) Elliott simply needs to do what he was doing before his injury.....stable, NORMAL, net minding. GIVING US A  CHANCE TO WIN. Period.

5) STAY OUTTA THE BOX....Pens Powerply is WAY too good.

6) PLEASE HAK! Shorten the bench!! This is what we work for. this is our chance! PLEASE play the HELL out of Prov and Ghost....they are young and can handle the minutes in my opinion!

I think that's it.... GO FLYERS! SO HAPPY to have playoff hockey back!

“I’ve been two full rounds of playoffs in Brandon. I know it’s not the same thing, juniors and NHL, but it’s definitely kind of the same feeling where the game gets more faster, more physical. I know I’ll be ready for it. I know our team will be ready for it. Wednesday can’t come soon enough.”

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2018/04/09/nolan-patrick-flyers-youth-get-playoff-crash-course/500289002/

“I’m more excited than I am nervous,” Patrick said. “Everything ramps up at playoff time. But I’m excited to get going.”

“It’s a little bit you (just) have to go through it,” said goalie Brian Elliott, a veteran of 41 playoff games. “If you haven’t been through it, especially with a big rivalry between these two clubs, I’m excited to be a part of it. I’ve watched it from afar and it’s really fun to watch. It’s gonna be even more fun to play. I think having some young guys who haven’t been through this ringer, it’s a privilege to play this game, to put on this NHL jersey and it’s also a privilege and a pleasure to play in the playoffs and the Stanley Cup, which everybody’s been going after since you’re 6 years old playing in the driveway.”

“I don’t know who’s gonna have what assignment, what’s gonna happen,” Couturier said. “From my experience from six years ago, I was more of just a shutdown guy playing with I think Max Talbot and Eric Wellwood. I was really just a defensive line. We were just shutting down guys and if we scored a goal it was just a bonus. Right now we have a different team, different lines and a different way to play. I don’t think you can compare too much (to his rookie season). Every little detail matters and I took pride in that and I think everyone here needs to do that.”

“Patty’s a guy we’ve really tried to take his growth and development step by step,” Hakstol said. “As we’ve gone through the last couple months of the year, Patty’s taken on every challenge that we’ve put in front of him. He’s a consistent two-way player. He hasn’t played an NHL playoff game so that’s one thing that’s not on his resume, but his hockey sense and competitiveness, the two-way thought process is there.”

“This is a series where I don’t think we’ll be picked by a lot of people to win the series going into it, but that being said I think we just have a sense that there’s a real knowledge that as a team we’ve got to go out individually and collectively and earn our way,” Hakstol said. “That’s where our focus is at when you look at the job that’s coming up here.”

I can't wait and ready to go. Just good to have a dog in the fight!!!!!!!!

PLAYOFF SCHEDULE

Game 1: Wednesday, at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m. NBCSN
Game 2: Friday, at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m., NBCSN
Game 3: Sunday, at Philadelphia, 3 p.m., NBC
Game 4: April 18, at Philadelphia, 7 p.m., NBCSN
*Game 5: April 20, at Pittsburgh, TBD
*Game 6: April 22, at Philadelphia, TBD
*Game 7: April 24, at Pittsburgh, TBD

Go Flyers!!!!

:flyers:

Just a friendly reminder that if Derrick Brassard is healthy (and it looks like he will be) that he centers the 3rd line with Kessel on one of his wings. Sheahan then gets bumped down to the 4th line and Josh Jooris (or whoever) back to the press box. 

@ruxpin

@flyercanuck

I think I just disagree "how much" that experience matters. It's certainly an edge but Giroux, Voracek, Coots (#shutdownmalkin)...have been in the post-season before. They have beaten the Pens handily in the post-season before. Let's not make this out to be a group of  playoff novices  versus the 1980's Islanders or Oilers.

4 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Come on B21 fans know that the Pens will have to the edge with the officials because they're the reigning champs, have the best player in the game and Bettman doesn't like the Flyers!

2 out of 3 ain't bad... :VeryCool:

4 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Unless Elliot is the second coming of Bernie Parent, the Flyers will have to be close to perfect to win this series but if they can extend the Pens to 6 or 7 games it's only going to be beneficial to the Flyers young players. The only question mark for the Pens is Matt Murray as to how healthy he is and the fact they don't have Fleury anymore if Murray gets injured or falters. Should be a fun series.

Pretty much agree here.  Ironically,  DeSmith (2.40/.921) and Jarry (2.77/.908) had better numbers in the regular season than Murray (2.92/.906). In DeSmith's case, a lot better.

However, if playoff Murray shows up (1.95/.928) - especially 16-17 playoff Murray (1.70/.937) -  I think it will be tough for Philly to advance.

1 minute ago, B21 said:

@ruxpin

@flyercanuck

I think I just disagree "how much" that experience matters. It's certainly an edge but Giroux, Voracek, Coots (#shutdownmalkin)...have been in the post-season before. They have beaten the Pens handily in the post-season before. Let's not make this out to be a group of  playoff novices  versus the 1980's Islanders or Oilers.

I've argued before on here that I'd rather get a quality draft pick while the Flyers rebuild than a quick out in the playoffs. I don't think that experience is the be-all end-all. It's helpful, but not as helpful as Nolan Patrick will be in a few years.

Being the back to back Stanley Cup champs is a whole lot bigger experience than being in a playoff round. Everyone figures out what a grind it is, and that there can't be any "mailed in" shifts. It's like learning how to go from junior to pro. Your team knows what it takes to win a cup .

We might have 3 guys who do...if we're lucky. That a nice advantage to have.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I've argued before on here that I'd rather get a quality draft pick while the Flyers rebuild than a quick out in the playoffs. I don't think that experience is the be-all end-all. It's helpful, but not as helpful as Nolan Patrick will be in a few years.

Being the back to back Stanley Cup champs is a whole lot bigger experience than being in a playoff round. Everyone figures out what a grind it is, and that there can't be any "mailed in" shifts. It's like learning how to go from junior to pro. Your team knows what it takes to win a cup .

We might have 3 guys who do...if we're lucky. That a nice advantage to have.

Advantage, yes,

ADVANTAGE? No.

8 hours ago, brelic said:

Wow, Florida won out. Guess the Rangers game truly was a must win - or at least must tie.

Here are the Pens lines from dailyfaceoff.com ( @B21 @nossagog and other Pens fans, feel free to correct) -

Flyers Pens
Giroux/Couturier/Raffl Guentzel/Crosby/Rust
Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek Hagelin/Malkin/Hornqvist
Konecny/Filppula/Simmonds Sheary/Brassard/Kessel
Read/Laughton/Lehtera Aston-Reese/Sheahan/Kuhnackl
Provorov/Ghost Dumoulin/Letang
Sanheim/MacDonald Maatta/Schultz
Manning/Gudas Hunwick/Oleksiak

Where’s Brassard? Is he injured?

In any case, how do you think the Flyers should match lines?

Fixed. Brassard will center the 3rd line if healthy bumping Sheahan to the 4th. Rust and Sheary have been pretty interchangeable all year.

Otherwise, that's about right.

The 2 Flyers home games I attended vs the Pens this year were 2 of the worst and most boring games I attended all year.  It was not just that we lost but we were not in the game at all and we didn’t show that next gear that past Flyers teams have shown vs the Pens in the Cindy/Jenny era.

While the playoffs are a new season, this years version of the Flyers do not match up well with this years version of the Pens. The Pen’s PP vs our horrible PK is going to be a major factor when both the legitimate and phantom calls strike.

I could be way off here and hope I’m wrong but I sadly think it’s the Pens in 5.

Archived