Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

I like Zadina more than i like Tkachuk who is at Boston College.

I am weary from the Jimmy Vesey/Will Butcher fiasco of using a draft pick on a kid that high who can when the time comes just opts not to sign and becomes a free agent to sign anywhere.

Now a 3rd rounder or later to me is worth the risk with college kids but not 1st rounders i think.

It is just my opinion. 

And if i'm going to take a college kid i think i take Oliver Wahlstrom over even Tkachuk.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brelic said:

Speaking of which, it sounds like they will sign Kovalchuk.

giphy.gif

Nevermind i see he just turned 35 so he will be able to sign with any team. I still think this is crazy he could walk away from a deal with 12 years left on a 15 year deal and just be able to come back and sign were ever he wants.

But to sign with the Rangers would be a waste with the shape that club is in.

He would be better off signing with the Devils.

I'll be honest. I have no interest in the Flyers moving up in the draft. I'm perfectly contentwith staying where they are, adding two really good prospects to the pool and just continue building a pipeline bursting with waiting talent.

There's quite a bit of depth in this draft, so there really isn't a need to move up. Yes it would be nice to grab a potential 40 goal scorer, but if you can grab two guys that can score 30, is that not a better use of the picks?

15 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'll be honest. I have no interest in the Flyers moving up in the draft. I'm perfectly contentwith staying where they are, adding two really good prospects to the pool and just continue building a pipeline bursting with waiting talent.

There's quite a bit of depth in this draft, so there really isn't a need to move up. Yes it would be nice to grab a potential 40 goal scorer, but if you can grab two guys that can score 30, is that not a better use of the picks?

The probability of BOTH players reaching that potential and becoming 30 goal scorers is low.  I'd rather roll the dice on a higher percentage 40 goal scorer in Svechnikov.  But I don't see why another GM would trade down with him there unless they receive a significant over payment.

16 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

if you can grab two guys that can score 30, is that not a better use of the picks?

It would be if that were to happen, but 30 goals in the NHL is above average. We'd essentially have to get lucky twice with progressively lower picks. If we look at previous draft years, there's a pretty clear trend that favours higher picks. Put another way, the chances of getting a 30 goal scorer in the 1-10 range are much more likely than 10-31. In fact, the majority of 30 goal scorers are drafted in the top three.

From the last ten years:

2017: No one yet (go Patrick!)

2016: Matthews (1) and Laine (2)

2015: McDavid (1)

2014: No one

2013: MacKinnon (1)

2012: Forsberg (11)

2011: Scheifele (7), Couturier (8), Rakell (30)

2010: Hall (1), Seguin (2), Johansen (4), Skinner (7), Tarasenko (16)

2009: Tavares (1), Duchene (3)

2008: Stamkos (1)

There are other notable players that aren't on that list of course. That's a list comprised strictly of first round 30+ goal scorers. Still, it illustrates the point pretty well. 30 goals in today's NHL is an elite feat that very few players ever manage. There are 16 players on the list above, over half (9) were top three picks. Only three were outside the top ten.

Side Note: 2010 was an amazingly deep draft year

Hall, Seguin, Johansen, Tarasenko, Skinner, Granlund, Fowler, Schwartz, Bjugstad, Kuznetsov

I think if the Flyers move a bunch of picks and Simmer is part of the trade i would want a guy closer to being ready to jump to the NHL.

The guy i would want the Flyers to target would be Elias Pettersson.

That is the forward i covet.

So two 1st Simmer, Hagg and another prospect to be named....wonder if the Canucks would go for it.

Hagg would he fill out their defense.

Edler/Stecher

Hagg/Gudbranson 

Tanev/Pouliot

-----------------------------------

Hutton/Biega

That is a pretty decent blueline for next year.

Thoughts complaints welcome. 

And there are parts of the trade that would maybe need tweaking.

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think if the Flyers move a bunch of picks and Simmer is part of the trade i would want a guy closer to being ready to jump to the NHL.

The guy i would want the Flyers to target would be Elias Pettersson.

That is the forward i covet.

So two 1st Simmer, Hagg and another prospect to be named....wonder if the Canucks would go for it.

Hagg would he fill out their defense.

Edler/Stecher

Hagg/Gudbranson 

Tanev/Pouliot

-----------------------------------

Hutton/Biega

That is a pretty decent blueline for next year.

Thoughts complaints welcome. 

And there are parts of the trade that would maybe need tweaking.

Even though Pettersson is a top prospect, that's way overpayment in terms of just adding assets. If I were Vancouver, I would require a top line player - Konecny-ish.

Would you trade Frost for that package? And Frost isn't nearly as highly ranked as Pettersson. 

2 hours ago, brelic said:

If I were Vancouver, I would require a top line player - Konecny-ish.

Nope can't do that.

Would you trade Frost for that package?

I would have to say no. To me that would be a lateral move. We would have to find another option.

that's way overpayment in terms of just adding assets.

I'm cool i was thinking that too...but wanting another opinion before i was thought to be over value the Flyer's assets. 

On 4/9/2018 at 2:07 PM, brelic said:

Speaking of which, it sounds like they will sign Kovalchuk.

I have no idea why he'd want to go to a rebuilding team, but there it is. He would look great on the Flyers, who are ahead of the NYR in terms of their cycle. 

I suspect, as usual, Kovalchuk will go to the highest bidder. I really don't think he cares about contending. At least nowhere near as much as he cares about $. I'myself would hope the Flyers aren't that team.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'myself would hope the Flyers aren't that team.

Exactly.

Where would he even play??

On the top line with Coots and G??

Yeah i would have to say (not saying i would want him ) but yeah that would be the sniper that line could use.

However this isn't the Kovy from 11-12. I think he has lost a step.

38 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really wish the NHL would put up a "Need Not Apply" sign for Kovy.  It will disgust me to see him in any NHL uniform. Especially on the Flyers. 

I agree... I think it's ridiculous that he was able to just get out of a 15 year contract that itself was designed to circumvent the cap. So the "cap" was circumvented twice. 

And then he can just come back, as a free agent? 

That being said, Kovy on a 1-2 year deal in Philly would definitely address some scoring issues. I don't know much about him as a teammate. In the end, I wouldn't commit more than 2 years to him. 

31 minutes ago, brelic said:

I agree... I think it's ridiculous that he was able to just get out of a 15 year contract that itself was designed to circumvent the cap. So the "cap" was circumvented twice. 

And then he can just come back, as a free agent? 

That being said, Kovy on a 1-2 year deal in Philly would definitely address some scoring issues. I don't know much about him as a teammate. In the end, I wouldn't commit more than 2 years to him. 

I expect Kovy will be looking for a good 7 million per. I’m not sure i want to tie that much money into the guy right now for any amount of time. 

Anyway, where would he fit? We have a pretty solid top six as it is. I highly doubt he’d accept a bottom six role anywhere. 

Do we really want him snagging minutes over TK or Lindblom? They’d probably be the ones to lose game time with Kovy around. 

15 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I expect Kovy will be looking for a good 7 million per. I’m not sure i want to tie that much money into the guy right now for any amount of time. 

Anyway, where would he fit? We have a pretty solid top six as it is. I highly doubt he’d accept a bottom six role anywhere. 

Do we really want him snagging minutes over TK or Lindblom? They’d probably be the ones to lose game time with Kovy around. 

This. 

I would have zero interest in Kovy. My dislike for Kovy aside, I'd argue against him for the same reasons I strongly argued against bringing Jagr back (along the lines of what you wrote). And to me, when you add in what a douche Kovy is, I'd be more in favor of Jagr even today. 

I'd actually be embarrassed to be a Flyers fan if they brought him in, I dislike the idea of him that much. Given his track record, any GM bringing him in is an idiot. Because if he pulls what he did before, how does an owner not fire the GM? 

I want nothing to do with him. 

20 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I want nothing to do with him. 

^ this a 1000x over.

Kovy is bad for the NHL.  Self entitled Ruskie.  Stay in the KHL ...you are not welcome here.

He wants the same thing Butthead and all 31 owners want. $$$$$$. If he would sign a 1 year deal I would take him.   He is a sniper. I am so not into the moral high ground with pro athletes. He is not a criminal, he is just selfish, which is a great attribute for a pure scorer. If a guy can help you win a cup then go for it .Having #15 #51 #24 etc and wallow in 8th place when potentially you can have a generational goal scorer at marginal risk would be bad management. I am all for the rebuild Hextall is doing, but waiting and hoping for draft picks to maybe develop when a player like this comes along is pure bonus. Ask Giroux if he would like having  Kovalchuk? I know what his answer would be. 

31 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

He wants the same thing Butthead and all 31 owners want. $$$$$$. If he would sign a 1 year deal I would take him.   He is a sniper. I am so not into the moral high ground with pro athletes. He is not a criminal, he is just selfish, which is a great attribute for a pure scorer. If a guy can help you win a cup then go for it .Having #15 #51 #24 etc and wallow in 8th place when potentially you can have a generational goal scorer at marginal risk would be bad management. I am all for the rebuild Hextall is doing, but waiting and hoping for draft picks to maybe develop when a player like this comes along is pure bonus. Ask Giroux if he would like having  Kovalchuk? I know what his answer would be. 

Help you win a cup?

He played 11 years in the NHL and appeared in 32 playoff games. He helped his team play in LESS than 3 playoff games per season. He left one team for another chasing money, then left the league, for money. Then wanted to come back...for money. Two years ago, as "captain" of his KHL team, he was sent home in the first round of the playoffs for poor performance. 

You think he'd sign a one year deal so he could help a team win a cup...or does he sign for the most filthy lucre (including term) he can wring out of a franchise.

Pass.

49 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Disagree with every single syllable. Even the articles and propositions.  The fact he's a jerk aside, it's a horrible hockey idea. 

BUMP ......

The Flyers 2018 is now officially open for discussion.

For the record the Flyers own:

• Pick #14 (via the Blues) - unless the Blues win the Lottery
  • Pick #19 (there own)

Just some players around where the Flyers will be drafting ........

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2018/

Bode Wilde

Date of Birth

January 24, 2000

Height

6' 2

Weight

Country

United States

Position

Defense

Shoots

Right

Amateur Team

USN-U-18 U.S. National Under-

Previous Amateur Team

Chicago Mission

He is over 6 foot 2 and the first thing you notice is how fast he transports himself and the puck around the sheet. He is a good passer but you can’t help but notice he wants to hold on to the puck come into the attack zone and be the difference maker. You can’t help but notice him on the power play or whenever his team is in attack mode. Gets a lot of power behind his heavy shot and easily slips down is soft areas to receive pucks and take shots between the dots and loves to do it. Uses his skating ability as his asset when being a defender, and uses his balance and smooth stride to get there to seal attackers off to the wall, closes gaps quickly, and close soft spots by filling them. Willing to use his size to step up and into opponents and will clear the front. He won’t seem anything but calm in his end even when as a viewer you may think he need to be. The wild colt aspect about so many of this draft classes defenseman has been noted so much already, but this is yet another player who seems less inclined to play conservatively by holding back in transition. He wants to make the clean entry by his lonesome and is good at it! He wants to get the transitioned pucks and go back down so he can see the defending goalies eyes, and score. It is this all in, I am going to win it for us play that many times comes back and hurts his team but there is so much to like about his abilities that project as possible top 2 pairing NHLer that you cannot deny him the carries, and the chances to in fact be the difference maker. There is high upside if he continues to grow his all around game. I know I would select him. Big physical blue line presence with keen two way game and skill set. Displays big time physicality that sets the tone. A terrific skater with a booming shot, he is committed to Harvard University. 

--Bill Placzek—

Jakub Lauko

Date of Birth

March 28, 2000

Height

6' 1

Weight

Country

Czech Republic

Position

Left Winger

Secondary Position

Center

Shoots

Left

Talented centre-winger who is a bit farther away from turning pro, but who displays keen offensive skills. Has excellent feet and lateral agility to dart and turn defenders inside out in the attack zone. Displays solid vision and creative play-making, coupled with end to end speed. Didn’t see much playing time in World Junior U-20 but shined at the Five Nations under 18. Has really nice hands and a quick release on his snap shot. Needs to get much stronger and bulk up and needs to be a 60 minute dominant attacker. So far, his dynamic offense shows, but seems to fade and disappear. He sometimes play so fast, that his take-ways leave his line mates in the dust behind the play, so learning to use his speed, create space and let plays percolate are what need developing, along with upper body strength. Not ready to absorb the physicality of the pro game, I would call him a work in progress.

—Bill Placzek—

Serron Noel

Date of Birth

August 8, 2000

Height

6' 3.5

Weight

Country

Canada

Position

Right Wing

Shoots

Right

Amateur Team

Oshawa Generals

Giant raw wing who isn’t close to a final sum of his parts. Has been on an upward spiral all season and this 200 plus pound, six foot five right winger is still working on foot speed, but has really good agility. Displays a good stick, and is starting to realize how he can show dominance with his hands as well as using his big body to handle tight space. The comparison with past Q big forward Julien Gauthier stops right here; this giant wing has quick hands and some lateral ability, and too!s dismisses the comparison before it begins. His long reach coupled with his long legged fluidity let’s him cover lots of ice in a shift. Goes to the front and has physical tools that might lead him to a strong NHL career. He’s never gonna be fast, but is strong on his pins, and uses his size to create time and space with an edgy game. Continues to improve his play away from the puck, and has room to add muscle all over which will help him improve his movement.

—Bill Placzek—

Joel Farabee

Date of Birth

February 25, 2000

Height

5' 11.5

Weight

Country

United States

Position

Left Winger

Shoots

Left

Amateur Team

United States National Team Develo

Smart three zone playmaker with an abundance of excellent characteristics and tools that point him upward as a solid NHL winger. Presently an under six foot lightweight (well under 170lbs.) who has high end awareness, terrific shift to shift work ethic, simply makes plays all over the sheet. Playing against same age competition, he easily grades out as above-average. A strong balanced skater who effectively masks his skating gears to and causes issues when he has the puck, and on defense when he has any chance of gaining it back. When he does make things happen, he diagnoses and makes a well laid quick pass to cause sudden momentum changes the other way. His hockey IQ tips the scale in his favor whether he playing against a tight defensive opponent, in a fast pace back and forth barn stormer, or when things get chippy. Is a really good penalty killer, and might be on the ice during any situation. Excellent with the puck on his stick, strong and quick to find and use his options. Have a good release, and as he gets stronger, I am sure his shot will get heavier. Fearless and relentless attacker, who creates time and space to advance pucks to his linemates or cut through traffic with an accurate surprise shot. Some might argue that being on the USNDT first line with scorer Oliver Wahlstrom has help him standout, but I think that the argument also works in the opposite direction, as this kid is a non-stop offensive generator who wills wins with his high energy commitment to victory. What teams will have to do is project just where he fits in a pro line-up - is there upside as the competition ramps up or does the team that selects him come away happy they are getting a NHL package, that can be a complimentary piece as opposed to dominant first line force? Committed to Boston University.

--Bill Placzek—

Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Date of Birth

July 6, 2000

Height

6' 2

Weight

Country

Finland

Position

Right Wing

Secondary Position

Center

Shoots

Left

Amateur Team

Pori Assat

Is he your future power winger or your big centre? He can be such high end puck hander, be a tank-like aggressive force with his work in the crease area, or he can defend away from the puck, or be so strong on the puck, teams might project him as that big wing every team is looking for. 

The fact that he is very proficient in the face-off circle might have NHL scouting staffs figuring he should get ample chances to develop as a pivot. Strong on his skates in his possessions and very effective on the defensive side. Needs a step to get going and is straight line attacker, but is patient and sneaky with a good wrist shot, and the ability to gift-wrap pucks to teammates. The team that drafts him will be hopeful he continues to build leg strength and fill in fully. Lots to like about his vision and hockey smarts and upside. 

—Bill Placzek—

Isac Lundeström

Date of Birth

November 6, 1999

Height

5' 11

Weight

Country

Sweden

Position

Center

Secondary Position

Left Winger

Shoots

Left

Amateur Team

Lulea Lulea HF

One iof the younger players in the draft class, that didn't stop him from centering the first line of Sweden's World Junior Tournament silver medal winning team. Dependable, reliable and responsible are what scouts thought a year ago, and only solidified that opinion this season with strong work in the faceoff circle, decent use of his size, skating ability and smarts while on the ice. Very versatile as he can line up at any of the three forward positions, the power play, and penalty kill. Works hard, drives the net, pressure the opposing defensemen, and creates turnovers. Drives to the net, and is decent in the defensive zone. The team that takes him his making a safe selection based on his all-around attributes that point upward.

--Bill Placzek—

Grigori Denisenko

Date of Birth

June 24, 2000

Height

5' 10.75

Weight

Country

Russia

Position

Left Winger

Shoots

Right

Amateur Team

Yaroslavl Lokomotiv

Russian playmaking winger with excellent on-ice vision, high end hands and stick. Was the best player at the World Junior A Challenge. Projects as a high end scorer, but will need to be less generous with the puck on the attack. He has high and dangle and deception skills, and seems to be able to take games over or at very least, looks to me a cut above everyone else on the ice sheet. The real key when selecting Russians who aren't already over in North America, is they may not want to make the jump while still under the rookie salary cap constraints, when they can make plenty of money while staying at home and waiting until the teams that draft them are no longer subject to the entry-level contract rules. So sometimes these Russian players slip into the later parts of the selection process not guaranteed that their name being called unless they plan to come now and stay, no matter if the make the parent clubs right away.

--Bill Placzek—

Rasmus Kupari

Date of Birth

March 15, 2000

Height

6' 0.75

Weight

Country

Finland

Position

Center

Secondary Position

Left Winger

Shoots

Right

Amateur Team

Oulu Karpat

Solid centre-wing with top end speed, a superb stride, and lateral agility. His elite burst gets him top gear very quickly, sometimes a stride, and changes direction rapidly. Aggressively gets in for the forecheck, and will use his body to separate pucks from the opposition along the way of his attack zone. Creative in the attack zone, he make nice feeds and is best when he has open ice to work in. Projects as a centre. Hands are quicker shooting than handling and loses puck in tight. Is able to cover lots of ice each shift, and does. He has an excellent shot, Needs to get better in his decision making and reads, and be more consistent player. The fact he shuttled from Liiga, Junior A SM-liiga and Mestis and was asked to also shuttle between wing and centre didn’t help his progress. His lack of production this past year will se his draft value drop but there is still much to like about this prospect.

—Bill Placzek—

I don't have any first-hand opinion on this, but posters I trust say stay away from Noel and Merkley.  Merkley because he's dumb and selfish.   Noel, I think, is because of his skating.    Noel might be redundant with Ratcliffe (or the other way around).  So maybe it's that.

I think I like Kupari with the 19 pick.   I prefer Hayton with the 14 if he's still there.   I like the Wilde pick if not.   He's also a righthanded shot, so that's a plus.

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't have any first-hand opinion on this, but posters I trust say stay away from Noel and Merkley.  Merkley because he's dumb and selfish.   Noel, I think, is because of his skating.    Noel might be redundant with Ratcliffe (or the other way around).  So maybe it's that.

I think I like Kupari with the 19 pick.   I prefer Hayton with the 14 if he's still there.   I like the Wilde pick if not.   He's also a righthanded shot, so that's a plus.

Ryan Merkley also has attitude and maturity issues. As for Noel, his skating is fine. The problem is that for a guy with his size, he plays a perimeter game. I also think a part of that is because he's only 200 pounds for his 6'5 frame. If he added another 20 to 25 pounds to his frame, he'd have a lower center of gravity and would be harder to knock off the puck. The other thing is that Flyers are quite well stacked on the right side. Allison, NAK and Konecny will be three future right wingers. The left side will have Lindblom, Ratcliffe and probably Rubtsov. Anything they pick at 14 is really gravy for the prospect pipeline. It wouldn't surprise me if a defenseman is taken here. I'm not as high on Bode Wilde as some are though. There's some serious questions about his hockey IQ. Honestly, I'd have no problems either if the Flyers shopped the pick and acquired a defenseman like Ryan Pulock or Rasmus Ristolainen. That would certainly help reshape the defense. You could pair Provorov and Pulock/Ristolainen together, Morin and Gostisbehere and then a third pairing of Sanheim and Gudas (who I think just had a bad season, but is a good defender). 

In terms of the 19th pick, I hope they trade down and add more picks along the way. If they can move back to 24 - 25 and acquire another 3rd in the process, that's a score for me. In that range, you're looking at a Vitali Kravtsov, Ryan MacLeod, Jack McBain or defenders like K'Andre Miller, Kevin Bahl, Jacob Bernard-Docker (who's rising really fast), Rasmus Sandin, etc.....Honestly though, if they move back, and if he's available when they pick, I hope that Akil Thomas is the guy they choose. He's Konecny 2.0. Hustle, speed, dogged determination, good hockey IQ as well. He's smaller, but the same was said about Frost and he's turned out to be a fine prospect.

There's so much available as to what the Flyers can do at the draft this year. Having this flexibility is a richness that not many franchises have.

Archived