Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

In terms of the 19th pick, I hope they trade down and add more picks along the way. If they can move back to 24 - 25 and acquire another 3rd in the process, that's a score for me. In that range, you're looking at a Vitali Kravtsov, Ryan MacLeod, Jack McBain or defenders like K'Andre Miller, Kevin Bahl, Jacob Bernard-Docker (who's rising really fast), Rasmus Sandin, etc.....Honestly though, if they move back, and if he's available when they pick, I hope that Akil Thomas is the guy they choose. He's Konecny 2.0. Hustle, speed, dogged determination, good hockey IQ as well. He's smaller, but the same was said about Frost and he's turned out to be a fine prospect.

Interesting. I've been thinking along these lines and Thomas was my initial choice at #19 but he seems to have slipped back.   So yeah, trade back, get the extra pick, and go get him.

Is Rasmus Ristolainen. being shopped?  Is that even a possibility?   Or are you figuring that with Dahlin that he'll be expendable?   I go that route if he's available.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Interesting. I've been thinking along these lines and Thomas was my initial choice at #19 but he seems to have slipped back.   So yeah, trade back, get the extra pick, and go get him.

Is Rasmus Ristolainen. being shopped?  Is that even a possibility?   Or are you figuring that with Dahlin that he'll be expendable?   I go that route if he's available.

https://tipofthetower.com/2018/04/16/buffalo-sabres-rumors-rasmus-ristolainen-finished/

I get that it flat out doesn't say that Buffalo is moving him. At the same time, Botterill has no ties to him, he's making $5.4 million a season for the next 4 seasons and is a collective -87 over the past four years. Gut feeling says if the Flyers offered the 14th overall for him, Botterill would think pretty hard about it. 

I also mentioned Pulock as well because he's an RFA and you never know what Garth Snow might do. I like the fact that Pulock has that big booming shot from the point and could really excel along side a guy like Provorov. Same with Ristolainen. As well, both guys are young enough to continue to grow with the rest of the defense. 

I'd be fine with moving the 14th if the return was either Ristolainen or Pulock. 

12 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

https://tipofthetower.com/2018/04/16/buffalo-sabres-rumors-rasmus-ristolainen-finished/

I get that it flat out doesn't say that Buffalo is moving him. At the same time, Botterill has no ties to him, he's making $5.4 million a season for the next 4 seasons and is a collective -87 over the past four years. Gut feeling says if the Flyers offered the 14th overall for him, Botterill would think pretty hard about it. 

I also mentioned Pulock as well because he's an RFA and you never know what Garth Snow might do. I like the fact that Pulock has that big booming shot from the point and could really excel along side a guy like Provorov. Same with Ristolainen. As well, both guys are young enough to continue to grow with the rest of the defense. 

I'd be fine with moving the 14th if the return was either Ristolainen or Pulock. 

I'd do Ristolainen for the Blues pick in a heartbeat (not sure Buffalo does) I think he's losing his will to live in the vortex known as the Sabres. A fresh start, playing with Provorov and Ghost, and i highly doubt we could draft a better player, let alone one this far along. 

I wasn't a big fan of Pulock when he played for Brandon. He certainly owns a cannon for a shot but I didn't like the way he played. He's developed pretty nicely though. 

I can't see the reason either team would trade them for a 14th pick...but as you mentioned...Sabres and Snow.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd do Ristolainen for the Blues pick in a heartbeat (not sure Buffalo does)

I would too but yeah i can't see them moving the big right hand shot. But would welcome him to the blueline.

I would even trade them the 1st and Hagg.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would even trade them the 1st and Hagg.

I wonder if that would be enough. Have they soured on him? I really don't follow the Sabres much, but he seemed primed for a breakout that looks like never happened. I wonder why. Hard to breakout on the current Sabres squad I suppose.

Anyway, Hagg and a 1st would probably be worth a gamble for him. I'd consider it.

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not that i heard this is just more fantasy dreaming.......all we got this time of year. Nothing more.

I've talked to a couple of my proscouting friends in the area (can't divulge names for obvious reasons) and they've said that while Riatolainen isn't being actively shopped, Botterill has sent feelers to see what the market would be like for him. 

Could other teams offer better deals? I'm sure of it. At the same time, every team will look to his contract, age that he becomes a UFA and his collective -87 over for years as a mitigating factor. 

Some of the guys I've talked with have also mentioned another name in which feelers have been sent out for - Dougie Hamilton. Calgary wants back in to the first round of this draft and word is, they'd be willing to part with Hamilton if they can get a first plus a blue chip prospect for him. Flames management is very high on Rasmus Andersson and Oliver Kylington and they'd like to work them into the lineup and the Flames management believe that Hamilton could provide the best return in a trade.

I think it's something that bears watching. Hextall is flush with cash, draft picks and prospects and I'm thinking he's probably ready to help speed up the rebuild.

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

At the same time, every team will look to his contract, age that he becomes a UFA and his collective -87 over for years as a mitigating factor. 

That doesn't bother me on a not so good Sabre team for years.

I would do what i could to get him.

He would be a great partner for Ivan...so start with a 1st and Hagg and go from there then.

Provy/Risto

Ghost/Mcdud

Morin/Sanheim

Would be a nice upgrade next year.

Then by 2020-21.

Provy/Risto

Ghost/Myers

Morin/Sanheim

I would easily do the blues pick (plus) for either Ristolainen or Hamilton.    That would instantly sure up the defense and more than likely be better than anything they could get at #14.

36 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Calgary wants back in to the first round of this draft and word is, they'd be willing to part with Hamilton if they can get a first plus a blue chip prospect for him.

I wouldn't do it. I'm not much of a Hamilton fan. He's always seemed the overhyped and underachieving kind of player. I don't think he has any more potential than a Sanheim, Morin, or Myers for instance. If we're to add another youngish dman to the roster, it should be someone with more upside imo. Hamilton had his chances to become that on two teams now and never really delivered. The fact Calgary is fine with shopping him should be telling at this point, just as it was telling when he was shipping out to from Boston.

Risto I think could be that more upside kind of guy, so I would consider it if possible.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Some of the guys I've talked with have also mentioned another name in which feelers have been sent out for - Dougie Hamilton. Calgary wants back in to the first round of this draft and word is, they'd be willing to part with Hamilton if they can get a first plus a blue chip prospect for him. Flames management is very high on Rasmus Andersson and Oliver Kylington and they'd like to work them into the lineup and the Flames management believe that Hamilton could provide the best return in a trade

I would happily take Hamilton depending upon what goes back. From what it sounds like it wouldn't be a defenseman.  Lol would Laughton and one of the first rounders do it? 

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I would happily take Hamilton depending upon what goes back. From what it sounds like it wouldn't be a defenseman.  Lol would Laughton and one of the first rounders do it? 

You can throw Simmer in there for good measure...

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You can throw Simmer in there for good measure...

I don't. Not in that trade. If the impetus for Calgary is to get back to the first round, then Simmonds' being involved is overkill. 

If Simmonds is moving, it's in a separate deal; hopefully, for a goalie. 

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't. Not in that trade. If the impetus for Calgary is to get back to the first round, then Simmonds' being involved is overkill. 

If Simmonds is moving, it's in a separate deal; hopefully, for a goalie. 

I can't see how that would be overkill...Dougie Hamilton is a 24 year old 6-6 210 right hand shot defenseman who was the 9th pick in the 2011 draft coming off a season he scored 17 goals and 44 points.

I can't even see the trying to move him but if they do then it would start with a 1st Simmer and then some....no where close to overkill in my book...Flames would have to want a haul for a kid like that.

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't see how that would be overkill...Dougie Hamilton is a 24 year old 6-6 210 right hand shot defenseman who was the 9th pick in the 2011 draft coming off a season he scored 17 goals and 44 points.

I can't even see the trying to move him but if they do then it would start with a 1st Simmer and then some....no where close to overkill in my book...Flames would have to want a haul for a kid like that.

Then they can get it elsewhere. First, Simmonds, plus and a GM not employed by the Oilers would be fired. 

The part I don't get is the part you also said you don't get:  that they would move him.  That part makes no sense to me either.  But if they are, then he's being unexpectedly dumped by two organizations despite production and potential for more. That undermines his value.  It would take better than Laughton + 1st, I would think. But #14, Simmonds, AND is way too much. It would be a really poor use of assets. Throw in Mike Smith and we'll talk. 

If it's the #14, Simonds, plus a prospect, we really don't need Hamilton that bad. Walk. 

EDIT:  Unless the "and" is Gudas. Do it and call it even. Maybe you even get a 3rd or 4th round pick out if it, too  (Smith wouldn't be involved in this, but that's fine). 

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The part I don't get is the part you also said you don't get:  that they would move him. 

They are not moving him first off they finally have a solid blueline.

Giordano

Hamilton

Brodie

Hamonic

Stone

Kulak

Bartkowski

Is a solid defense. They need a goalie too Mike Smith is way past his prime and is going on 37. And they have no backup really.

And they have Rasmus Andersson (who should a look next year) and Oliver Kylington coming over. So no need to move him i say.

47 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oilers??? You lost me.

Just a reference to the fact that GM has already made moves he should be fired for and hasn't. (and did incredibly stupid moves before being hired). 

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They are not moving him first off they finally have a solid blueline.

Giordano

Hamilton

Brodie

Hamonic

Stone

Kulak

Bartkowski

Is a solid defense. They need a goalie too Mike Smith is way past his prime and is going on 37. And they have no backup really.

And they have Rasmus Andersson (who should a look next year) and Oliver Kylington coming over. So no need to move him i say.

That's what I'm saying, yeah. I can't begin to understand why they'd move him.  But I couldn't understand why Boston did, either. 

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That's what I'm saying, yeah. I can't begin to understand why they'd move him.  But I couldn't understand why Boston did, either. 

Wasn't that Chirelli who traded him and Seguin??

Different years of course but I think got fleeced on both.

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wasn't that Chirelli who traded him and Seguin??

Different years of course but I think got fleeced on both.

Yep. And the Hall trade is right up there

CHL prospect update....

Frost/Bunnaman battle.

Looks like Frost and the Soo have run into some adversity with the Rangers. Series tied 2-2.

Last game zero points for Frost and he finished -4. -2 in game #3. After a goal in game #2 and just an assist in game #1.

Bunnaman 13 points 16 games played so far 5 goals and 8 assist so far.

So both prospects only a goal and an assist through 4 games.

Matt Strome and his Bulldogs are up 3 games to 1.

Strome with 13 games played has 4 goals and 11 assists.

Rubstov's Titans up 3 games to 1.

Ruby was 3rd star in last game with one assist.

He has right now in 13 games played 4 goals 5 assist.

And now Hart Everett up 2 games to 1.

Last game Hart gave up 4 goals on 33 shots.

They lost game 2 Hart gave up 4 goals on 26 shots.

Game 1 win Hart gave up only 2 goals on 26 shots.

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

CHL prospect update....

Frost/Bunnaman battle.

Looks like Frost and the Soo have run into some adversity with the Rangers. Series tied 2-2.

Last game zero points for Frost and he finished -4. -2 in game #3. After a goal in game #2 and just an assist in game #1.

Frost is the only other player other than Vilardi in the top ten playoff scorers who is 18. Most of them are 20 and one is 21. He's fine. Kitchener is a very good team ...they've got 3 of the top 6 scorers in the postseason and finished 2nd to the Soo in the west this year. 

Bunnaman 13 points 16 games played so far 5 goals and 8 assist so far.

So both prospects only a goal and an assist through 4 games.

Matt Strome and his Bulldogs are up 3 games to 1.

Strome with 13 games played has 4 goals and 11 assists.

Hamilton won the east last night. 

Rubstov's Titans up 3 games to 1.

Ruby was 3rd star in last game with one assist.

He has right now in 13 games played 4 goals 5 assist.

Rubtsov looked like he's been playing injured until this round. I think he's put up 8 of those points in his last 5 games.

And now Hart Everett up 2 games to 1.

Last game Hart gave up 4 goals on 33 shots.

They lost game 2 Hart gave up 4 goals on 26 shots.

Game 1 win Hart gave up only 2 goals on 26 shots.

Hart was 1st star last night in a 3-1 win . He stopped 29 shots. Everett up 3-1. 

Archived