Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Frost is the only other player other than Vilardi in the top ten playoff scorers who is 18. Most of them are 20 and one is 21. He's fine. Kitchener is a very good team ...they've got 3 of the top 6 scorers in the postseason and finished 2nd to the Soo in the west this year. 

Hamilton won the east last night. 

Rubtsov looked like he's been playing injured until this round. I think he's put up 8 of those points in his last 5 games.

Hart was 1st star last night in a 3-1 win . He stopped 29 shots. Everett up 3-1. 

Sorry mu dumb arse put this in the wrong thread. Meant to put it in the Phantoms thread. My bad. This is about the draft.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at some mock drafts and one of them shows the Flyers picking Bode Wilde and Serran Noel. A big right handed dman and a big winger. Both seem like good picks with offensive skill and size. Anyone seen them play, any scouting reports on these guys ? or are there some other players that we should pick instead? Anyone have many input?

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I was looking at some mock drafts and one of them shows the Flyers picking Bode Wilde and Serran Noel. A big right handed dman and a big winger. Both seem like good picks with offensive skill and size. Anyone seen them play, any scouting reports on these guys ? or are there some other players that we should pick instead? Anyone have many input?

Nope don't like either. PASS!

I was high on Serron Noel at one time, but the more I watch him, the more I'm not impressed. He's big and can skate, but he plays a perimeter game. As for Wilde, I think that because right handed defensemen are such a premium now, that's part of what's moving him up the board. I see a Coburn-type player in Wilde in that he has all the physical tools you want in a defenseman, but he just simply doesn't have the smarts or mind to put everything together on a consistent basis.

Right now, if the Flyers remain at 14 and 19, I want either Barrett Hayton or Joe Veleno at 14. I think having a 200 foot player with high end offensive skills fits what the team is trying to build. As for pick 19, I want Akil Thomas. Give a me a Konecny type buzzsaw with elite offensive skills and skating. I could care less that he's only 6 feet, 170 pounds. He'll end up putting on another 15 to 20 pounds in two years and might grow another inch. 

Now, this all depends on whether they keep the picks or not. They could always try to make a blockbuster using their picks.

So the draft lottery happened tonight.  And the winners are:

1.  Buffalo Sabres

2.  Carolina Hurricanes

3.  Montreal Canadiens

4. Ottawa Senators

5. Arizona Coyotes

6. Detroit Red Wings

7. Vancouver Canucks

8. Chicago Blackhawks

9. New York Rangers

10. Edmonton Oilers

11. New York Islanders

12. New York Islanders (from Calgary Flames)

13. Dallas Stars

14. Philadelphia Flyers (from St. Louis Blues)

15.  Florida Panthers

12 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Now, this all depends on whether they keep the picks or not. They could always try to make a blockbuster using their picks.

How high do you think they could realistically move up by trading both picks?  Enough to get into the top 5?  I really have no idea how much value #14 and #19 would have.  Moving into the top 5 seems a stretch but 6-8 would be doable.  If that's the case, I wonder if Detroit or Chicago would be game for a trade.

Going by Sportsnet's rankings, they have: 

13. Joe Veleno, C, 6-foot-1, 195 pounds (Drummondville, QMJHL): Got back on track after being moved to Drummondville. He’s never performed at “exceptional player” levels, but he’s played well at every calling and should end up being a solid pick.

14. Bode Wilde, D, 6-foot-2, 195 pounds (USNTDP): Big shot, wild pony who is a bit risky even for those who enjoy the new-aged defencemen. Uses size to add bite to his game.

15. Serron Noel, RW, 6-foot-5, 205 pounds (Oshawa, OHL): A player who saves his best for games, Noel has everything required to be a power forward at the next level. It’s the rawness that speaks to a high ceiling.

18. Jared McIsaac, D, 6-foot-1, 196 pounds (Halifax, QMJHL): Rebounded slightly at the U-18s after having slipped some in the second half of the regular season.

19. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, 6-foot-1, 188 pounds (Assat, Finland): Has been on an upward trend dating back to the Ivan Hlinka tournament last August. Displays some heaviness in his game.

20. Mattias Samuelsson, D, 6-foot-3, 217 pounds (USNTDP): There’s lots of room in the game for someone who is adept on the defensive side of the puck, with leadership capabilities and unearthed offensive upside.

I don't want Kotkaniemi since he's from Asshat, Finland.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

From everything i have saw those two will be gone by the 14th.

They should go somewhere around our first pick...which means they may be gone, or one or both could still be available.

• pilldoc unpinned and pinned this topic

Flyers have the following picks:

1st: 14, 19

2nd: 19 (50)

3rd: No pick

4th: 19 (131)

5th: 3 (127), 19 (143)

6th: 19 (174)

7th: 4 (190), 19 (205)

12 hours ago, vis said:

How high do you think they could realistically move up by trading both picks?  Enough to get into the top 5?  I really have no idea how much value #14 and #19 would have.  Moving into the top 5 seems a stretch but 6-8 would be doable.  If that's the case, I wonder if Detroit or Chicago would be game for a trade.

I don't even think it's an issue of moving up. I really believe that Hextall is going to target a high end right handed defenseman and use one of the picks and a player to get him. Add in the fact that the Flyers have a ton of cap space and they should be big game hunters at the draft. Of course, Hextall might end up doing nothing. They have serious options though and I expect a bounty of some sort at the draft.

On 08/04/2018 at 5:20 PM, flyercanuck said:

Zadina should go 3rd...maybe 4th. Not sure you get that with the 14th + 15-31st:IDunnoSmiley:.

After watching Svechnikov live this season I'd sent our 2-1sts and more picks but I doubt that gets it done.

I really don't see the draw in Tkachuk...he doesn't look like he has his brothers talent. He used his size to his benefit in the WJs, but he loses that in the NHL. You could end up with a better player with either of our 1sts.

After watching Zadina live and in-person all year I also would send both our 1st's and throw in Simmonds. :)  Zadina is a pure goal scorer.  He would be fun to watch in Philadelphia.

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't even think it's an issue of moving up. I really believe that Hextall is going to target a high end right handed defenseman and use one of the picks and a player to get him. Add in the fact that the Flyers have a ton of cap space and they should be big game hunters at the draft. Of course, Hextall might end up doing nothing. They have serious options though and I expect a bounty of some sort at the draft.

With Buffalo almost certainly picking Dahlin, does that make Ristolainen an expendable player? There were murmurs of him being available.

He’s 23, a career -103 in 5 seasons, but shoots R lol. He’s signed through 2021-22 at $5.4M AAV. 

Carlson would be a better choice in terms of mentor and maturity level, and coming from a successful organization, but at 28, is sure to cash in on free agency at a much higher level. $6.5+, I’m guessing.

On the other hand, he would only cost money and term, and Ristolainen would cost assets. 

1 hour ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

After watching Zadina live and in-person all year I also would send both our 1st's and throw in Simmonds. :)  Zadina is a pure goal scorer.  He would be fun to watch in Philadelphia.

I agree his shot is very good. His skating on the other hand leaves something to be desired. Svechnikov is an excellent skater. Both 1sts AND Simmonds is a little rich IMO for either.

54 minutes ago, brelic said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-mock-draft-rasmus-dahlin-number-1/c-298337670?tid=277764372

These guys have us picking either Farabee or Noel. 

If they took Noel with the 2nd pick it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think there are plenty better options with the 14th overall though.

Farabee sounds like a decent pick..., but can he add some meat to that 165 lbs?

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If they took Noel with the 2nd pick it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think there are plenty better options with the 14th overall though.

Farabee sounds like a decent pick..., but can he add some meat to that 165 lbs?

That surprised me too... 6'0" but only 164? Wow. 

14 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree his shot is very good. His skating on the other hand leaves something to be desired. Svechnikov is an excellent skater. Both 1sts AND Simmonds is a little rich IMO for either.

No I wouldn't do Simmonds either...just being a little facetious.  I didn't think Zadina's skating was that bad...but what do I know.  I would be very excited to draft him but he will be gone by #14.

2 hours ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

I would be very excited to draft him but he will be gone by #14.

He would be there at #3 and Montreal may entertain the idea of trading that pick.  Flyers could make an attractive offer, if inclined to move up.

Archived