Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

How do we feel about coming out of the draft with Ryan Merkley and Barrett Hayton?   

I would prefer Frost's teammate Hayton. Stay away from Merkley.

Rasmus Kupari's with the Flyer's 2nd 1st rounder maybe....Flyers need some Finns!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would prefer Frost's teammate Hayton. Stay away from Merkley.

Rasmus Kupari's with the Flyer's 2nd 1st rounder maybe....Flyers need some Finns!!!!!!

Well, I meant Hayton with the St. Louis pick and Merkley with ours.    Out of curiosity, why don't you like Merkley?   He's not great in his own end at this point, but he's dynamic on offense.   Sounds like another guy on our team.  

Honestly, the pick of another defenseman probably sounds "meh" but at the very least some could become trade currency.

Yeah, Hayton was with Frost in mind.   I really think it's Hayton OR Kupari, only because I don't think either are still on the board with the Flyers' second pick.   

How does draft order work for playoff teams?   First round losers in reverse order of regular season finish?   I don't remember and don't want to look.     But right now, assuming 16-24, I'm thinking Kupari probably isn't there.  Pretending he's not and we don't go dman, I'd look at Akil Thomas.

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Out of curiosity, why don't you like Merkley? 

Sorry should of answered this in my response....to small and one dimensional......and not a smart player. We be no more than an AHLer.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry should of answered this in my response....to small and one dimensional......and not a smart player. We be no more than an AHLer.

Yeah, maybe.  He'd definitely be a project.  But he seems like a Ghost type.   Pretty dynamic on the offensive side.   I always wonder why such players just don't play wing.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Not arguing, just asking your thoughts why.

WTF???

I thought i answered you but maybe i goofed and put it in another thread...sorry don't know where.

Anyways.

He is one dimensional and weak in his own end to small and his offense won't translate....a career AHLer.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

WTF???

I thought i answered you but maybe i goofed and put it in another thread...sorry don't know where.

Anyways.

He is one dimensional and weak in his own end to small and his offense won't translate....a career AHLer.

Yeah you did, lol.  It was while i was moving the rest so it got orphaned.   Moved it here, too.     You could be right.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, maybe.  He'd definitely be a project.  But he seems like a Ghost type.   Pretty dynamic on the offensive side.   I always wonder why such players just don't play wing.

Wait a damn minute....how are you answering my response and i can't see/find it?? It is why i posted again.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Wait a damn minute....how are you answering my response and i can't see/find it?? It is why i posted again.

It's mad bear voodoo. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

Yeah you did, lol.  It was while i was moving the rest so it got orphaned.   Moved it here, too.     You could be right.

Ok now i can see it that was strange.....so you were moving it?? Ok.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

How do we feel about coming out of the draft with Ryan Merkley and Barrett Hayton?   

I wouldn't use a 2nd on Merkely. not a 2nd -1st....a 2nd rounder. Hayton isn't a bad pick, but he doesn't have a high ceiling IMO. 

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I wouldn't use a 2nd on Merkely. not a 2nd -1st....a 2nd rounder. Hayton isn't a bad pick, but he doesn't have a high ceiling IMO. 

Alrighty then.   Scratch that idea.  LOL.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Alrighty then.   Scratch that idea.  LOL.

Rux -he's an awesome skater and pretty good when he has the puck. He's one of the worst I've ever seen when he doesn't. Selfish guy who just doesn't care about his own end. 

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Rux -he's an awesome skater and pretty good when he has the puck. He's one of the worst I've ever seen when he doesn't. Selfish guy who just doesn't care about his own end. 

That is enough for me.

Pretty much what i have read about him and being small to boot 5-11 165 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to small for the NHL and the Flyers blueline. 

So yeah if he is there in the 3rd i guess.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

That is enough for me.

Pretty much what i have read about him and being small to boot 5-11 165 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to small for the NHL and the Flyers blueline. 

So yeah if he is there in the 3rd i guess.

Yeah, that seals it fit me as well.  And I agree, third or fourth round is the time to take that risk, not with a first rounder. 

That's actually why I posted the initial question because I don't get to follow much first hand and am just going off of mock drafts and limited scouting. 

One mock had Flyers taking him with their own pick and I only read a blurb or two. What you said makes sense and (no offense) when @flyercanuckwas so emphatic that left me with no question. 

Honestly, this might be the year to take a shot at a high ceiling guy that may have some question marks (In general, not advocating for anyone, I haven't done any research this year). The Flyers have a good pipeline, I don't think there'd be anything wrong with swinging for the fences if there's the right kind of player available when the Flyers own pick comes around.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I have no problem with Barrett Hayton being one of the picks. He's a 200 foot player that is sound in all three zones and can play center and left wing. He's going to get a ton of ice time in the Soo next year when Katchouk, Raddysh, Gettinger, etc...have all moved on.

I watch a lot of Guelph games and honestly, the flyers should stay far away from Merkley. He's a disaster defensively and his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. There's also maturity and character issues with him. 

At this point, I want the Flyers to draft another forward. Even though he's one of the oldest players in this draft, Ryan McLeod would be a great choice. Another great choice would be Rasmus Kupari. Akil Thomas would also be another guy I'd love to see them consider.

If they do choose to go defense, Jared McIsaac would be someone that would be a great fit. So too would Rasmus Sandin. Both are excellent defensemen in terms of defense and offense with great decision making, a must for defensemen.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That was my suggestion several post back. They need some Finn magic!!!!!!!

Yeah, I like Kupari.   @radoran wouldn't be happy because he can't stand Finns.

I just wonder if he's still there for the second pick.  Depending where the St. Louis pick ends up, maybe you use the first pick (if they stay at 14).  I don't know.  I think I want Hayton first, then Kupari, then Thomas.   Sandin looks good among defensemen.  Depending upon where our 2nd pick is, maybe trade back if that's the way you're going to go.   Drop down 5-6 slots and grab an extra pick.

Just doing some reading....

draft 2018.jpg

Solid centre-wing with top end speed, a superb stride, and lateral agility. His elite burst gets him top gear very quickly, sometimes a stride, and changes direction rapidly. Aggressively gets in for the forecheck, and will use his body to separate pucks from the opposition along the way of his attack zone. Creative in the attack zone, he make nice feeds and is best when he has open ice to work in. Projects as a centre. Hands are quicker shooting than handling and loses puck in tight. Is able to cover lots of ice each shift, and does. He has an excellent shot, Needs to get better in his decision making and reads, and be more consistent player. The fact he shuttled from Liiga, Junior A SM-liiga and Mestis and was asked to also shuttle between wing and centre didn’t help his progress. His lack of production this past year will see his draft value drop but there is still much to like about this prospect.

—Bill Placzek—

draft 2018.jpg

Big kid who continues to show a high skill set and a dedication day to day to improve on his last performance. A complete player who takes pride in his 200 foot game, has high hockey IQ, and solid playmaking ability in the attack zone. He has little trouble finding and feeding his best option in the offensive zone. Plays both PK and PP. Three inches smaller than Jordan Staal, player who compares to nicely, there is plenty to like about him in terms of his commitment and continuing improvement. You draft him knowing he doesn’t project as a top line impact center; just a guy the coach will love because he can play in all situations and slide in anywhere in the bottom nine and make the guys around him better. Selfish, serious, high IQed guy in the offensive end, drawing more than one attacker to him, only to deceptive get the puck to an open teammate. He is a scoring threat every shift, with his heavy shot,but isn’t gonna wow you. He quietly and effectively gets his job done in all three zone or with his snap shot.

—Bill Placzek—

So here is a thought..and I am strictly spitballing and thinking outside the box here, but do you possibly package both #1's and try to move up and nab a Brady Tkachuk or Filip Zadina.  I know .... why spending both picks for one player when you can keep stock piling your roster with quality talent.   However, what if you could come up with a package to obtain, possibly an elite winger here, especially if he starts to slip in the draft?  Again, just sort of spitballing here.

Thoughts??

Another potential pick I have seen .....

LW Isac Lundestrom (Lulea J20, Superelit | 11/06/99, 5’11/176): Lundestrom is a dynamic offensive player with legitimate top-six potential. He owns a quick release, an incredible set of hands and the ability to finish from in close even if travelling at top speed. The manner in which this youngster enters the zone can best be described as unruffled – a mincing machine of sticks, skates and bodies will not deter Lundestrom from not only gaining entry, but taking a direct path to the front of the net. He’s rough around the edges in terms of his overall game, specifically defensive zone coverage and choosing the hard right over the easy wrong.

42 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

So here is a thought..and I am strictly spitballing and thinking outside the box here, but do you possibly package both #1's and try to move up and nab a Brady Tkachuk or Filip Zadina.  I know .... why spending both picks for one player when you can keep stock piling your roster with quality talent.   However, what if you could come up with a package to obtain, possibly an elite winger here, especially if he starts to slip in the draft?  Again, just sort of spitballing here.

Thoughts??

I've thought about this and I've thought about trading back.   Dunno.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Thoughts??

Zadina should go 3rd...maybe 4th. Not sure you get that with the 14th + 15-31st:IDunnoSmiley:.

After watching Svechnikov live this season I'd sent our 2-1sts and more picks but I doubt that gets it done.

I really don't see the draw in Tkachuk...he doesn't look like he has his brothers talent. He used his size to his benefit in the WJs, but he loses that in the NHL. You could end up with a better player with either of our 1sts.

Archived