Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ruxpin

So i have to ask (and i know right now hard to still answer considering none have made the jump to the NHL yet) was trading back in 2016 and passing on Kieffer Bellows worth it to pick up Rubtsov and Laberge???

Just asking looking at the Flyers need for a LW right now.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

@ruxpin

So i have to ask (and i know right now hard to still answer considering none have made the jump to the NHL yet) was trading back in 2016 and passing on Kieffer Bellows worth it to pick up Rubtsov and Laberge???

That is really hard to answer.

Right this second?  Maybe not.   I think he was going for volume.  I think both Rubtsov and Laberge end up being NHLers, so maybe the jury is out until either a) we see what they do on the Flyers or b) we see what we get for them.

At this point, though, if have to go with no, not worth it.  Understandable, but not worth it.

By the way, we're doing the HF mock draft and I somehow got to pick for the Flyers (and Colorado).   I went with Kravstov on the #14 pick.  I'm liking him more and more the more I read and watch highlight reels (I know...highlight reels).  

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

At this point, though, if have to go with no, not worth it.

Just clarifying so you are say you would have stay put and took Bellows?? Or am i misunderstanding you?

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just clarifying so you are say you would have stay put and took Bellows?? Or am i misunderstanding you?

Yeah, at this point I think they probably should have stayed put and have taken Bellows.  I think I was upset when it happened but was okay after the picks.  Now, I don't know what to think but lean towards the idea they should have just taken Bellows.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, at this point I think they probably should have stayed put and have taken Bellows.  I think I was upset when it happened but was okay after the picks.  Now, I don't know what to think but lean towards the idea they should have just taken Bellows.

I am thinking that too.

Especially with the center depth they have now.

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@ruxpin

Personally, I'm in the minority but I love that the Flyers got Rubtsov and Laberge. Rubtsov already plays a pro game with pro defense. His fans us much more suited to the NHL than the QMJHL. Rubtsov is going to be ready good, like Jere Lehtinen good. As for Laberge, he's coming back to form after that devastating concussion and looks like a player once again. I think the Flyers take time with him, but he's also a legit two way player. I expect the Aube-Kubel treatment here.

31 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Personally, I'm in the minority but I love that the Flyers got Rubtsov and Laberge. Rubtsov already plays a pro game with pro defense. His fans us much more suited to the NHL than the QMJHL. Rubtsov is going to be ready good, like Jere Lehtinen good. As for Laberge, he's coming back to form after that devastating concussion and looks like a player once again. I think the Flyers take time with him, but he's also a legit two way player. I expect the Aube-Kubel treatment here.

It's not that I don't like Ruby. I hope he does turn into a top 6 type forward either at center or the wing.

It's just the Flyers need a LW to add some depth there.

I think Bellows will be on the by mid season next year if not earlier.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's not that I don't like Ruby. I hope he does turn into a top 6 type forward either at center or the wing.

It's just the Flyers need a LW to add some depth there.

I think Bellows will be on the by mid season next year if not earlier.

Well, we're going to have a glut of centers, that's for sure.  It may not be a horrible problem to have, though, and maybe that's the well we dip into for trade needs.  Who knows?   LIke BCF16, I'm okay with it was as it was done, but...yeah, I don't know.  I'm good with volume, but I did like Bellows at the time.

NHL Mock Draft 2018: Philadelphia Flyers select Rasmus Kupari with No. 16 pick

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/6/11/17444184/nhl-mock-draft-2018-philadelphia-flyers-rasmus-kupari-karpat-finland-center-draft-profile-analysis

GettyImages_900384112.0.jpg

Now before anyone complains about the pick because the Flyers have the 14th pick in this mock draft the Flyers traded back to add some picks.

The trades (remember just a fun mock draft)......

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/6/8/17421228/nhl-mock-draft-2018-philadelphia-flyers-trade-dallas-stars-petr-mrazek-colorado-avalanche#comments

Trade No. 1: Philadelphia trades the 14th pick in the 2018 draft and the restricted free agent rights of Petr Mrazek to the Dallas Stars for the 13th pick in the 2018 draft.

..then...

Trade No. 2: Philadelphia trades the 13th and 127th picks in the 2018 draft to Colorado for the 16th and 58th picks in the 2018 draft.

So thoughts on this they add another 2nd rounder. So that would be 4 picks in the first two rounds plus they could recoup something lost from the Mrazek fail.

Would you do this???

Sorry forgot to add the links.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

I dunno... is it just me or is K'Andre not a name? :D

Well he went the Brent Burns route and was converted from forward to defense.

6-3 208 some great size and skating ability to be so young.

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Would you do this???

I read that several days ago.  To be honest, I thought the whole thing was kind of silly. It's basically trading the 14th and the rights to Mzarek to move back and get a 3rd round. 

I mean, I guess, but if Dallas really wants Mrazek (which indicates significant head trauma) I don't think they'll face any significant competition waiting two weeks.  

I mean, I guess it gets something for Mrazek, but I'd just as soon use him to move up a spot and call it a day. 

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well he went the Brent Burns route and was converted from forward to defense.

6-3 208 some great size and skating ability to be so young.

I don't think he falls to #50, but I grab him if he does. I actually think there's a decent chance he goes late first round. If not, somewhere in the 30s.

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Round #2

Jokke Mock 4

Jokke Mock 5

I'll cut myself if Kravtsov, Kupari, and Kaut are on the board and we take Farabee. I like the kid and leftwing is a nice idea, but he's committed to Boston University. I don't want to wait for him. Plus, Kravtsov looks incredible. 

I don't understand why some of these mocks have Bode Wilde in the mid-teens. I bet you low- to mid-twenties. 

I'm also suspicious of any mock that has Detroit taking a forward. 

39 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd just as soon use him to move up a spot and call it a day. 

Sure but it would require a taker first...and as you said someone with head trauma...can see that happening to move up...but to recoupe the 3rd you wasted on the p.o.s. is a win.

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'll cut myself if Kravtsov, Kupari, and Kaut are on the board and we take Farabee. I like the kid and leftwing is a nice idea, but he's committed to Boston University. I don't want to wait for him. Plus, Kravtsov looks incredible. 

I agree i am always tepid over taking a kid in the 1st round who is going to go the college route just because in the end he could always Jimmy Vesey you...hard pass!!!!

I would prefer some more size at forward and Farabee isn't even listed at 170....scares me right there.

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm also suspicious of any mock that has Detroit taking a forward. 

This one has the Flyers drafting Rasmus and Rasmus....

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-mock-draft-2018-picks-order-lottery-rasmus-dahlin-sabres-canadiens-hurricanes-canucks-blackhawks/bgsyydfa22x611xhbly7j7koe

14. Philadelphia Flyers (from St. Louis): Rasmus Kupari, C, Karpat (SM-Liiga)

The Flyers could consider both of their first rounders as house money, so there is no telling which direction they go. If they go for the best player available, Kupari has a high ceiling, and his elite shooting and passing skills puts him near the top among eligible centers. He may need to stay in Finland to fine-tune his defensive game, but a team with as deep a prospect pool as the Flyers can afford to let him marinate overseas.

19. Philadelphia Flyers: Rasmus Sandin, D (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL)

Philadelphia has prospects all over the globe, and there’s a good bet they took in a ton of Sandin as he played with 2017 Flyers first rounder Morgan Frost. He’s a nimble puck mover with soft hands and a hard shot that makes goalies earn their paycheck, but he too can hold him own on the defensive side of the puck.

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This one has the Flyers drafting Rasmus and Rasmus....

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-mock-draft-2018-picks-order-lottery-rasmus-dahlin-sabres-canadiens-hurricanes-canucks-blackhawks/bgsyydfa22x611xhbly7j7koe

14. Philadelphia Flyers (from St. Louis): Rasmus Kupari, C, Karpat (SM-Liiga)

The Flyers could consider both of their first rounders as house money, so there is no telling which direction they go. If they go for the best player available, Kupari has a high ceiling, and his elite shooting and passing skills puts him near the top among eligible centers. He may need to stay in Finland to fine-tune his defensive game, but a team with as deep a prospect pool as the Flyers can afford to let him marinate overseas.

19. Philadelphia Flyers: Rasmus Sandin, D (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL)

Philadelphia has prospects all over the globe, and there’s a good bet they took in a ton of Sandin as he played with 2017 Flyers first rounder Morgan Frost. He’s a nimble puck mover with soft hands and a hard shot that makes goalies earn their paycheck, but he too can hold him own on the defensive side of the puck.

I'd be okay with that. I like both. 

My vote for Kupari has been surpassed by Kravstov, though.  Check this out (I'm on my phone so I hope this works).   They show each play way too many times, but several plays in (about 50 seconds in) there is a sick play where he takes the puck on the rush from about his own blueline, and at about the faceoff circle toe drags the puck between his skates without slowing and takes a hard left and stuffs it five-hole. I realize it's a highlight reel, but it's a pretty sick play. 

26 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd be okay with that. I like both. 

My vote for Kupari has been surpassed by Kravstov, though.  Check this out (I'm on my phone so I hope this works).   They show each play way too many times, but several plays in (about 50 seconds in) there is a sick play where he takes the puck on the rush from about his own blueline, and at about the faceoff circle toe drags the puck between his skates without slowing and takes a hard left and stuffs it five-hole. I realize it's a highlight reel, but it's a pretty sick play. 

Yeah I posted that video two pages back.

I do like him and he would give them another 6-3 RW to go with Allison.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah I posted that video two pages back.

I do like him and he would give them another 6-3 RW to go with Allison.

Wow, sorry.  Yeah, the only thing with either Kupari or Kravstov is we're going to have a RW problem.  LOL   Not a horrible problem to have or anything, but...

Actually, Kupari is currently a center but if he doesn't stay there, he slides right I believe.

Archived