Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

This draft is tough to gauge after #2. If the Habs go Kotkaniemi at #3, then Hayton might jump into the top 10 for another center-hungry team. McKenzie has said there's a possibility now that Zadina falls out of the top 5  - not because of anything bad with him, but because the centers and defensemen are skyrocketing. Way more uncertainty than there was last year.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

This draft is tough to gauge after #2. If the Habs go Kotkaniemi at #3, then Hayton might jump into the top 10 for another center-hungry team. McKenzie has said there's a possibility now that Zadina falls out of the top 5  - not because of anything bad with him, but because the centers and defensemen are skyrocketing. Way more uncertainty than there was last year.

Yeah, I read that about Zadina. That's possible.  3-12 is kind of even, so it will likely come down to need and individual scouting department's preference. 

I found this interesting, so I'll throw it out there:

Chicago's #8 is available, and they are looking to move Hossa's contract. He has three yeaars left at 5.75 million.

Would you take back Hossa if it meant the Flyers could get up to #8 from 19? From 14?

He goes on LTIR at the start of the season, so his hit is only an issue for the offseason cap. that said, it's around 80% of the offseason cap. And you would have to do a song and dance with who is where at the start of the season in order to maximize the LTIR allowance if you spend to the cap. 

I think you have to at least consider it, though I'm leaning no if it's a move up, mostly due to that 3rd year. Now if we're talking about just getting #8, and not sending one of the first rounders? I think I do that, and see if I can package 8 to move up further, depending on how the draft falls. Thoughts?

Something tells me if the Flyers move up into the top 10 it is to go after righty Noah Dobson.

I have just seen Hextall talk more about defensemen and what side they play more than i ever have since he has been the GM.

Either he is leaning that way a lot of he is laying on one hell of a smoke screen...i just have to think they have got a good look at him and what he brings when they were just going to check on Rubtsov's progress.

He is a guy who can be a backup plan if Myers or Sanheim doesn't work and they want to leave one of them exposed for the expansion draft i think too.

Wow i just seen Mckenzie has Dobson slotted at #6 right above Bouchard now....wow...this kid is climbing.

I seen Coots dad who own Dobber's team rave about the kid so could the Flyer target this kid not sure the way he is climbing they will have to move some assets to get up that high.

He is his quote...

“The last one I saw here in Bathurst that I was sure was gonna be a successful player was Patrice Bergeron,” Sylvain Couturier says. “I’m as confident in Noah as I was with Patrice Bergeron.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/noah-dobson-nhl-draft-acadie-bathurst-titan-profile/

6 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I found this interesting, so I'll throw it out there:

Chicago's #8 is available, and they are looking to move Hossa's contract. He has three yeaars left at 5.75 million.

Would you take back Hossa if it meant the Flyers could get up to #8 from 19? From 14?

He goes on LTIR at the start of the season, so his hit is only an issue for the offseason cap. that said, it's around 80% of the offseason cap. And you would have to do a song and dance with who is where at the start of the season in order to maximize the LTIR allowance if you spend to the cap. 

I think you have to at least consider it, though I'm leaning no if it's a move up, mostly due to that 3rd year. Now if we're talking about just getting #8, and not sending one of the first rounders? I think I do that, and see if I can package 8 to move up further, depending on how the draft falls. Thoughts?

(Lehtera or Wiese) and a 2nd for their 8th and Hossa.  I'm not going to a first, and I'm not backing off the player going the other way. 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why??

My post was probably too knee-jerk, but the ranking of the RHD (Merkley, in particular) is a joke to me.  The overall seems okay (ish). 

Bode Wilde has just de-committed from Michigan University. He said that depending on who drafts him, he will go with what the parent club decides. Very interesting. Something is up with Wilde. Someone has given him a draft guarantee. That's the only thing I can think of.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why??

Players could bounce all over, but I'll be shocked if Noel goes first round, let alone as high as 19.   What do I know?  I'm bored and feel like making bold predictions. 

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Bode Wilde has just de-committed from Michigan University. He said that depending on who drafts him, he will go with what the parent club decides. Very interesting. Something is up with Wilde. Someone has given him a draft guarantee. That's the only thing I can think of.

If he's not going to Michigan, that changes my interest slightly. 

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Interesting...

...you can always go to college and then go to juniors if it ain't for you....

...but you can play juniors and then go to college...i don't want the Flyers taking him anyways...

Just now, ruxpin said:

If he's not going to Michigan, that changes my interest slightly. 

I think he's better off going the CHL route anyways. I think a guy with that size and skills needs to play a lot in order to bring the entire package together. Playing on 40 to 50 games in the NCAA isn't ideal for his development. It's different if he's already got the package complete, but he's not a finished product at all. The CHL will help complete that package. I have to admit, I'm very interested in seeing where this goes. I think if he's there at 19, he's a Flyer, especially when you consider that Hextall has openly talked about looking for a right handed defenseman.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Interesting...

...you can always go to college and then go to juniors if it ain't for you....

...but you can play juniors and then go to college...i don't want the Flyers taking him anyways...

Yeah, I'm still not high on him, but one of my objections just dissipated. 

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think he's better off going the CHL route anyways. I think a guy with that size and skills needs to play a lot in order to bring the entire package together. Playing on 40 to 50 games in the NCAA isn't ideal for his development. It's different if he's already got the package complete, but he's not a finished product at all. The CHL will help complete that package. I have to admit, I'm very interested in seeing where this goes. I think if he's there at 19, he's a Flyer, especially when you consider that Hextall has openly talked about looking for a right handed defenseman.

Oh, i meant my interest improved some. I think CHL is the better route for him, but I also like it because it might be a faster route. 

But I still don't want him. I'm not shocked if he falls to the second round. I know RHD and all that, but I think his offense is quite exaggerated and at present he's not that impressive on defense. 

49 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'll be honest. If the Flyers come away with Veleno and Wilde, I'll be disappointed and consider it a lousy draft until proven otherwise. 

See, I love Veleno. He was saddled with a bad team in St John's and when he got to Drummondville, his game took off to an entirely new level. I love his overall game. He's incredibly smart and his hockey knowledge and IQ are off the chart. Veleno can also play the wing (a big plus) and he's a great player in all three zones. He also had an expanded role in Drummondville and I think he's only going to become a better goal scorer. The hands are there though and he's got a laser of a shot. 

As for Wilde, the dropping of the NCAA to the CHL changes everything for me. I didn't like the idea of him going to the NCAA because he needs to play a lot of games in order to complete his development and tie everything together. If everything goes accordingly for Wilde, he'll end up playing over 200 games if he goes the CHL for two years and then the AHL for one. He's going to get the opportunity to play in the WJC tournament and he's going to get coached by some of the best junior coaches in North America. He's going to play a prominent role, he'll play in all situations and he's going to play 20+ minutes a night. 

I think if the Flyers end up with two guys out of Veleno, Kravstov, Hayton, Farabee, Wilde, Sandin, Thomas, Samuelsson, Grigorenko or Bokk, that's a win in my books. I'm so looking forward to draft night.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

My post was probably too knee-jerk, but the ranking of the RHD (Merkley, in particular) is a joke to me.  The overall seems okay (ish). 

He just polls scouts from 10 teams and puts his list up based on the results of the poll. He doesn't rank them himself - he says he doesn't see nearly enough of the prospects to rank them.

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

See, I love Veleno. He was saddled with a bad team in St John's and when he got to Drummondville, his game took off to an entirely new level. I love his overall game. He's incredibly smart and his hockey knowledge and IQ are off the chart. Veleno can also play the wing (a big plus) and he's a great player in all three zones. He also had an expanded role in Drummondville and I think he's only going to become a better goal scorer. The hands are there though and he's got a laser of a shot. 

As for Wilde, the dropping of the NCAA to the CHL changes everything for me. I didn't like the idea of him going to the NCAA because he needs to play a lot of games in order to complete his development and tie everything together. If everything goes accordingly for Wilde, he'll end up playing over 200 games if he goes the CHL for two years and then the AHL for one. He's going to get the opportunity to play in the WJC tournament and he's going to get coached by some of the best junior coaches in North America. He's going to play a prominent role, he'll play in all situations and he's going to play 20+ minutes a night. 

I think if the Flyers end up with two guys out of Veleno, Kravstov, Hayton, Farabee, Wilde, Sandin, Thomas, Samuelsson, Grigorenko or Bokk, that's a win in my books. I'm so looking forward to draft night.

I'm looking forward to it too.  Aside from who we get, it's kind of a "how close was I to guessing it?" game for me. 

I hear what you're saying about Veleno and actually mostly agree.  Especially the IQ and the 200 ft. game. I think his offense will probably only be average, but I'm willing to bet the trade off is probably some pretty good leadership qualities.  I don't think I mean this about style of play, but something about the writeups on him remind me of Mike Richards.  And I mean that as praise, not criticism. 

But I'd really like the Flyers to go outside they're usual and get some one with high end offensive talent and train backwards.  I don't see that in Veleno.  If he's capable of swinging to wing, that changes the algebra some for me.  I won't hate the pick like I would for Noel. And I don't think we'll have to wait around for him like Farabee.   He's just not my first choice. I think that's what it largely comes down to with him:  he's not among my first choices, so I'd be disappointed. 

If it's him and someone other than Wilde, I'll be disappointed on both picks (conversely, but I may be okay if it's Wilde and, say, Kravstov). 

I agree that the decision to go CHL changes things in a positive way. Largely for the reasons you state.   I'm just very suspicious of him.  I think of the choices of derensemen at 19, there's no guarantees and he is a RD, so I guess it's completely understandable.  But I won't be excited about it. (I'll deny this when we draft him and he's the Norris winner in 2024).

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

He just polls scouts from 10 teams and puts his list up based on the results of the poll. He doesn't rank them himself - he says he doesn't see nearly enough of the prospects to rank them.

Well, that's interesting isn't it.  I'm really stunned Merkley is that high. When he polls the teams, it's it GM, scouts, or marketing intern? 

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well, that's interesting isn't it.  I'm really stunned Merkley is that high. When he polls the teams, it's it GM, scouts, or marketing intern? 

@AJgoal  i know you said scouts. I'm just being a smart ass. 

Archived