Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not lifting Konecny...I legitimately think he's got a pretty damn good shot, and I thought that before Philly drafted him. He was always one of those guys who always looked to pass...and then when you saw him shoot you were like "well why doesn't he do that more often?"

He buried 24 last season at 21 years of age. Pretty sure he could hit 30. That doesn't make him a sniper, but it certainly puts him into the "goal scorer" conversation in todays NHL. 

And you don't necessarily need 50 goal scorers if you can come up with several 25-30 g guys.

First, I really like Konecny. He and Simmonds are probably my favorite Flyers. 

I wasn't intending for my comments to be about scoring, or even about Konecny specifically. I was attempting to respond to a couple posts about generating shots and shooting vs passing (I'm not placing a premium on one over the other but just saying you need both) and the desire to draft a shoot-first guy as opposed to pass first. I'm happy with Konecny's production in terms of scoring and think it will only go up. 

But the comment was made that we need more shooting first type players and someone used Konecny as an example of someone who does.  The fact is that Konecny leads the team in shots attempted per 60 but is 30th among team best players. 

The point isn't that Konecny doesn't score or that he personally doesn't shoot enough. The point is that if our best guy is 30th, our team does not shoot enough and isn't balanced enough in that regard. It wasn't a comment about Konecny. 

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think we can expect an untick in goals from Patrick and Oskar next year.

If they can find some way to get Lehterable off the ice i think the 4th line can be more productive.

At this point i don't think you can expect anymore goals form G or Coots because they are passers. Jake as well as we all know.

Again, I wasn't talking about scoring. I was responding to Charlie O'Connor's tweet (and what I thought was the discussion until suddenly it wasn't) about shooting

I don't disagree with your post, it's just not the subject I thought we were discussing given the tweet you posted. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Again, I wasn't talking about scoring. I was responding to Charlie O'Connor's tweet (and what I thought was the discussion until suddenly it wasn't) about shooting

I don't disagree with your post, it's just not the subject I thought we were discussing given the tweet you posted. 

No we're still talking about shooting...or at least i am....the point of shooting mainly is to score goals....however juicy rebound come of that too...

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

shooting.

Patrick can shoot more hopefully he will. He had 3 defensemen who generated more shots than him.

And finding another option at 3rd line center should help a lot too good lawd we all know Filppula wouldn't shoot he could be standing on the goal line and would pass it back out...Fil played in 81 games and only shoot 70 times....turrible.

Any ways off to the gym i'll chat later. Peace folks.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Fil played in 81 games and only shoot 70 times....turrible.

Holy crap!  That's... Wow, turrible is an understatement. What's worse than turrible?  Feckless? 

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No we're still talking about shooting...or at least i am....the point of shooting mainly is to score goals....however juicy rebound come of that too...

I realize the shooting/scoring connection, but it's just the convo changed (not just you).  Yes, all of our players can increase their shots incrementally, but I'd like someone that intuitively knows how to find their shot and just fires. I don't want a team of that, but there are players in the league that are shooters. I'd like to draft one once in awhile. 

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Fil played in 81 games and only shoot 70 times....turrible.

He shot 124 times. Still not good.

Voracek led Flyers forwards in overall shot attempts at 412.

24 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He shot 124 times. Still not good.

Voracek led Flyers forwards in overall shot attempts at 412.

Shots on goal is what I'm going by TSN has 70 shots on goal if it ain't on goal it don't matter in my book.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I realize the shooting/scoring connection, but it's just the convo changed (not just you).  Yes, all of our players can increase their shots incrementally, but I'd like someone that intuitively knows how to find their shot and just fires. I don't want a team of that, but there are players in the league that are shooters. I'd like to draft one once in awhile. 

Well if you want a shooter one of the best is available.

Kovalchuk.

Just saying.

55 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well if you want a shooter one of the best is available.

Kovalchuk.

Just saying.

Dammit OR.  Kick me where it hurts, why don't you. 

Why you so mean?  Lol

Actually, that's along the lines I mean, just not him. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

First, I really like Konecny. He and Simmonds are probably my favorite Flyers. 

I wasn't intending for my comments to be about scoring, or even about Konecny specifically. I was attempting to respond to a couple posts about generating shots and shooting vs passing (I'm not placing a premium on one over the other but just saying you need both) and the desire to draft a shoot-first guy as opposed to pass first. I'm happy with Konecny's production in terms of scoring and think it will only go up. 

But the comment was made that we need more shooting first type players and someone used Konecny as an example of someone who does.  The fact is that Konecny leads the team in shots attempted per 60 but is 30th among team best players. 

The point isn't that Konecny doesn't score or that he personally doesn't shoot enough. The point is that if our best guy is 30th, our team does not shoot enough and isn't balanced enough in that regard. It wasn't a comment about Konecny. 

Now how I am supposed to argue that?

OK, I agree. Jerk!

I have to say i am intrigued by the big defenseman....

...maybe trade back in the 1st round and take him. I would say i love him with the #50 but no way he slides that much.

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

We've also got Wade Allison coming who can score.

Thanks for reminding me.  Yes, of the prospects, he's probably the most "pure" goal scorer.  I am really hopeful his scoring translates at the NHL.

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

More just going for the irony of needing what we had and didn't appreciate (the last part includes me).

The irony is that he was traded for the exact winger that would have fit along side him.

30 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The irony is that he was traded for the exact winger that would have fit along side him.

Yeah, terrific point.  It's a whole barrel full of ironic laughs!

I really want to see the Flyers trade Simmonds at the draft for a first round pick and a top prospect . Then utilizing some of those assets to trade up in the draft and get the kind of player we do not have and need the most, which is either a big sniper like Wahlstrom or a an old school big tough physical wing like Tkachuk. We do not have any toughness up front and if Simmonds goes, then we really need to get a skilled physical player like Tkachuk or at least a scoring winger with good size , Wahlstrom is over 200 lbs... we haven’t had a pure sniper since Leach , Kerr and Leclair. We haven’t had a skilled tough winger no can fight in ages ...

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I really want to see the Flyers trade Simmonds at the draft for a first round pick and a top prospect . Then utilizing some of those assets to trade up in the draft and get the kind of player we do not have and need the most, which is either a big sniper like Wahlstrom or a an old school big tough physical wing like Tkachuk. We do not have any toughness up front and if Simmonds goes, then we really need to get a skilled physical player like Tkachuk or at least a scoring winger with good size , Wahlstrom is over 200 lbs... we haven’t had a pure sniper since Leach , Kerr and Leclair. We haven’t had a skilled tough winger no can fight in ages ...

Can't really disagree with any of that. 

On 6/19/2018 at 1:28 PM, ruxpin said:

I'd like to draft one once in awhile. 

Well you could have a chance to move up and take one...

...so would Radko and the #19 do it???

Or would they be or interested in Simmer (i bet the Oilers are on his NO trade list though)...

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well you could have a chance to move up and take one...

...so would Radko and the #19 do it???

Or would they be or interested in Simmer (i bet the Oilers are on his NO trade list though)...

Well, he did say "quality."   LOL   Maybe if Hextall does it out of a horse-drawn wagon and throws in some magic tonic.

I have a feeling that if Hextall moves up to #10 that he's going defenseman there if any of Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes or Boqvist are there. I'd float Radko, but I'd be stunned.   But, Chiarelli seems to have a stupid trade quota to hit, so maybe.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well, he did say "quality."   LOL   Maybe if Hextall does it out of a horse-drawn wagon and throws in some magic tonic.

I have a feeling that if Hextall moves up to #10 that he's going defenseman there if any of Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes or Boqvist are there. I'd float Radko, but I'd be stunned.   But, Chiarelli seems to have a stupid trade quota to hit, so maybe.

Well they only have 5 guys under contract and Radko would be an improvement on Matthew Benning for sure...

...would they go for Andrew "Norris" Mcdonald instead?? And yeah it is Chiarelli we are talking about here...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well they only have 5 guys under contract and Radko would be an improvement on Matthew Benning for sure...

...would they go for Andrew "Norris" Mcdonald instead?? And yeah it is Chiarelli we are talking about here...

We have a lot of cap room.  I'd try MacDonald and retain salary if he'd go for it.   MacDonald jokes aside, that leaves a gaping hole in our defense in terms of veteran presence.   Possibly locker room presence from what I understand.   But I would very much consider it.

13 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We haven’t had a skilled tough winger no can fight in ages ...

wait , aren't you considering trading a guy that fits this description ?

Also, all the guys in the draft are 18 maybe 19...they'll be getting their asses kicked fairly regularly playing the "tough/skilled" game in the NHL. 

So you're advocating treading water again this year ?

I want to see growth, I'm not looking for more magic beans, there are big tough guys who are ahead of this year's draft class physically in the prospect pool already. 

I don't trade Simmonds for magic beans.  I trade him for an upgrade somewhere on the roster right now.

Actually, I don't trade him. He wants to be a Flyer, I try to leverage that when I offer him his contract. 

If I do trade him, it has to be for an damn king's randsom and  it will be some place far far away, Calgary, the oil, KHL...I don't want to play that guy. 

Archived