Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Button has guessed right about the Flyers fairly regularly

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-the-intrigue-starts-with-the-habs-1.1116064

Has anyone posted his mock ? if not viola !

He has Noel at 14, Miller at 19...

All you guys seem to think those are reaches... correct ?

Noel is huge, compares to Blake Wheeler...what's not to like ?

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-the-intrigue-starts-with-the-habs-1.1116064

I would be disappointed with Noel at #14.

I hope they can swing a trade with the Oilers for #10 and jump in front of Isles and Stars for Kravtsov.

#fingerscrossed

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope they can swing a trade with the Oilers for #10 and jump in front of Isles and Stars for Kravtsov.

#fingerscrossed

Button has Kravstov around until the Rangers 3rd pick...

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Button has Kravstov around until the Rangers 3rd pick...

WTF???

Wow...ok talking about off the board....haven't see that anywhere else...guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I've seen a handful of mocks with the Flyers and Noel.  I think it's lazy on the part of some national people because usually the comment is "big...the Flyers' kind of player."

The problem is the guy is big but lazy.   He works his size against smaller junior's players but goes through disinterested floating stages.   I guess that can be coached out of him, but his asset is size and I think that asset shrinks against NHL players.  I would not like that pick at 14 and only less so at 19.    I'm willing to bet he drops to the 2nd round.

He has Kravstov at #28.  I think that's ridiculous.  I have no idea who is actually posting under Button's name, because he is usually pretty good.   

At #14, even saying what I have about Veleno, I'd prefer him.   I think Hextall does need to start using quality picks on wingers, I just don't want Noel.

I'd be okay with Miller at 19.   Hextall has kind of telegraphed RHD, so if we don't trade up somewhere I could see him or Wilde.  I think I'd be happier with Miller. (I see Wilde at #19 on your link, btw).

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

#fingerscrossed

If we're following Button, we can trade back for Kravtsov.

Craziness.  I don't put any stock in this mock draft.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If we walk away from this first round with Noel and Wilde I think I'd puke.

I'll be in the stall next to you.  You better not have a wide stance (NTTAWWT).

I'm advocating trading a 30 year old pending UFA, that we can't afford to pay. I'm not saying to give him away, he is worth at least a top NHL ready prospect and  a first round pick , probably more . Simmonds wants to stay , and he is great, but we can't afford him and he will want a long term deal.  If we don't find the proper deal , then you wait until the deadline when teams overpay big time for a playoff  warrior like Simmonds. As long as we have the current goaltending and a bunch of young dmen, we most certainly will tread water. Simmonds is not part of the future , neither is Giroux or Voracek...they will all be on the down hill slide when we are true contenders. We can't have three 34 year olds making  7 or 8 million each .

52 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Who is Miller? Button has us picking Wilde at 19

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Rux has clearly been hanging out with Rick too long. 

First, @mojo1917 said Miller, not me.    I even mentioned to him his link had Wilde--who I really don't want.

I'm assuming K'Andre Miller, who I wouldn't hate.  He'd be an RHD.   I'd rather go Rasmus Sandin there if I'm going defense, but he's LHD.   Honestly, I'd just as soon go two forwards at this point.

Third, I'm really hoping Hextall gets Miller for goal.  Miller in Philly would be entertaining on so many levels--none of which include anything to do with hockey.

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Rockin' halibut in the back of a Lumina.   Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hey, Button is usually fairly decent, isn't he?   Did you look at the link mojo posted?   I don't get alot of where he has people.  It makes very little sense to me.    

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Hey, Button is usually fairly decent, isn't he?   Did you look at the link mojo posted?   I don't get alot of where he has people.  It makes very little sense to me.    

Button doesn't usually try to figure out where players will go, as most mocks do. He's giving his opinion of who ends up the better player long term.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Button doesn't usually try to figure out where players will go, as most mocks do. He's giving his opinion of who ends up the better player long term.

That's almost worse to me, but what do I know?

LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG LANG 

Something tells me Ron just holds tight and sees what falls to him with #14 and #19....i think the rumors we are hearing are the ones wanted to leak so as to stir interest...

...or Ron just doing his due diligence see what the stick price on some of the fire sale items like Chiarelli is probably throwing out there.

Can't blame him that is what he is suppose to do...i just don't think they are close enough to do anything crazy.

@ruxpin @vis @RonJeremy

Wilde, not Miller, I was looking at something else when I was typing, sorry.

18 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If we're following Button, we can trade back for Kravtsov.

I thought that too.

There were a couple of picks Button had right for the Flyers that shocked me, Morin was the most notable.  That was a bigly reach and Button called it.

Maybe he had a better relationship with Homer, than he does Hextall ? 

@RonJeremy

I don't think we're as far away from being really good as you do.

I do agree an upgrade is needed in goal. 

The young defensemen will most likely improve as they gain experience. Ghost will be in his 4th year, Ivan his 3rd, Hagg and Sanheim their 2nd...we're not icing a bunch of 19 year olds. We're icing guys who have been pros for a couple of years and will be "getting it" also, the guys pushing them, have been playing in the A, so they're not going to be overwhelmed by the NHL game as much either. 

So to me, we're a PKer/3c, a scoring forward, and a move in goal from being in the top tier of eastern teams.

Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek will be 31-29... I'd prefer to at least offer Simmonds a nice raise for 4 years before I change the chemistry of the locker room.

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So to me, we're a PKer/3c, a scoring forward, and a move in goal from being in the top tier of eastern teams.

Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek will be 31-29... I'd prefer to at least offer Simmonds a nice raise for 4 years before I change the chemistry of the locker room.

I agree with you for the most part, though I would still trade Simmonds. 

Mostly I would trade him because he won't get the ice time he should with this team. He will get it elsewhere. Also, he is on the wrong side of 30 now. He's expendable and will be more so after this year I think. Trading him is not only what I think is best for the team, it's honestly best for him too.

Simmonds is a second liner and top PP guy on many many teams, including any number of contenders who love to mortgage their future to win now. On this Flyers roster, he is a third line guy behind TK and Voracek (in that order imo), and Patrick should be on the 1st pp instead of him.

That means he's in the bottom six playing with not our best players and on the 2nd pp, again not playing with our best players. He isn't a cornerstone kind of guy. He needs strong players on his line to be effective. It stands to reason he simply will not be as productive on our third line and second PP.

Given all that, it's in our best interest to trade him while his value is still very high. By the end of this coming year, there's a very good chance he won't command as much in a trade. Not because he's not worth it, but because he won't have the opportunities he used to before.

Much as you suggest, we're really not so far from having a very good team. Give us an actual NHL goalie, and a solid 2-3C who can push Patrick for ice time, and we're likely to see a substantial gain. If we can find a way to trade Simmonds for one of those two things, we should do it. They matter more than Simmonds does right now and for the future.

I'll be sad to see him go of course, but I do think it's what's best for the team.

With the Oilers supposedly dangling the 10th pick, I'd strongly consider moving up depending who is on the board at that point.  Apparently Chiarelli wants an NHL d-man.  Do you think they would have interest in Gudas or perhaps Hagg?  Could there be a bigger deal for RNH?  I've been hot and cold on RNH for a while.  Would be a nice third line center and still very young.  

However, part of me wants the Flyers to move up to grab one of the RHD or a better forward.  Not sure if they are able to get as high to nab someone like Wahlstrom or Dobson or Bouchard.  Not sure if any would be there at the 10th pick, though.  Might have to jump higher (e.g., Detroit's or Chicago's pick).

If talking strictly draft pick swaps, would #14 and #50 get you the #10?  Would #14 and #19 get you 5-8?

Thoughts?  

5 minutes ago, vis said:

With the Oilers supposedly dangling the 10th pick, I'd strongly consider moving up depending who is on the board at that point.  Apparently Chiarelli wants an NHL d-man.  Do you think they would have interest in Gudas or perhaps Hagg?  Could there be a bigger deal for RNH?  I've been hot and cold on RNH for a while.  Would be a nice third line center and still very young.  

However, part of me wants the Flyers to move up to grab one of the RHD or a better forward.  Not sure if they are able to get as high to nab someone like Wahlstrom or Dobson or Bouchard.  Not sure if any would be there at the 10th pick, though.  Might have to jump higher (e.g., Detroit's or Chicago's pick).

If talking strictly draft pick swaps, would #14 and #50 get you the #10?  Would #14 and #19 get you 5-8?

Thoughts?  

I'm with you on the hot/cold on RNH.  3C is a nice idea, though, and he could even swing to wing. 

I really like Hagg. Probably more than most. But he's the expendable guy among the youngins. 

If it's not an expanded deal, I'd like to keep it #19 and something rather than #14 and something (being the greedy bastard that I am).    I wonder if they'd take MacDonald with our retaining salary. I think that creates a huge veteran hole in our lineup, but that's a risk I'm just willing to take. 

Archived