Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

I was kind of wondering the same. Does 14/15 + 19 get you into the top ten? If so, is it worth it? What about if you're willing to move Simmonds? It would probably need to be separate deals, but do you move him then put together a big move package?

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we could come together with a package and move up to 2 or 3 and get Svechnikov or Zadina I would be all on board.  Or if somehow Dahlin isn't drafted 1st overall.  

14th and our 2nd 1st (31st!?) probably won't be enough to move up that much though.  So what would Ottawa or Arizona want?  If Arizona can we unload Lehtera in the process since they have all that cap space?

Both firsts, Lehtera, Morin or Myers for 3rd overall?

1 hour ago, sekkes85 said:

That ain't getting it done......no one would want Lehterrible.

And i don't want to move the D men listed. Hagg right now would bring more value i think since he is in the NHL.

Maybe something like Simmonds, Hagg two 1st and and other prospect maybe.

And if i make a trade like this it would be for Svechnikov.

4 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

Lehtera isn't moveable. He was never intended to be when acquired. He was a cash dump. The only way he moves is to make a bottom dweller cap compliant maybe, but that's about it.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's an interesting idea. I do feel Simmonds should be moved. Patrick is already proving he fits on the 1st pp; and really, the PP needs a fresh look next this year anyway. I'm just not sure Simmonds fits in the picture here anymore. If he doesn't work on the PP, and he's not going to supplant Voracek or TK/Giroux for top six minutes, he's probably better off traded while he still has solid value.

Whether that can become a package for Svech is a harder thing to figure. More than likely teams wanting Simmonds will be teams who feel they're very close to contention and need some extra PP ability and grit to get over the hump. Unless someone pulls a Flyers at this year's draft, that seems unlikely to be whatever team ends up with the 2nd overall pick.

So what else? I dunno. I was talking to @brelic earlier about how I'd be interested in seeing Sam Bennett in an O&B jersey. He seems to be languishing in Calgary, much like Simmer is here. He's obviously younger, so a straight trade is unlikely to work. It would have to be a package of some sort. But someone like that would make sense to me.

This team is going to get better in a hurry over the next couple years. At least someone like Bennett has NHL experience and a good amount of upside he's never been able to develop. Maybe a change of scenery would be exactly what he needs. On the flip side, Calgary needs a shot to the arm, and Simmer may be better for them right now than a 3C Bennett.

#GetHexyOnThePhone

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That ain't getting it done......no one would want Lehterrible.

And i don't want to move the D men listed. Hagg right now would bring more value i think since he is in the NHL.

And if i make a trade like this it would be for Svechnikov.

At his point, I'm passing.   At one time, it would have been Simmonds that made me pause.  That's not really the case now (although, I'm pretending to be optimistic that he'll be completely healed from whatever and be much better next year).   I really like Hagg.  But I'm actually okay with that.   But by the time it's both Simmonds and Hagg AND two firsts AND another prospect...that's too much for any 18 year old who hasn't played in the NHL and could end up being Alex Daigle for all we know (from everything I've heard, he's not.   But I didn't hear that about Daigle before he was drafted, either.   Not that it was or wasn't said; I just didn't hear it).

At that price--and I think you're in the ballpark if maybe not the exact names--I just wait and see what my own picks get me.

If we don't end up packaging our 1sts for a higher pick, I would like to see Hextall draft a defenseman with one of them.

If that defenseman pans out, it wouldn't be until 3-4 years from now (and more like 5+ until he's an impact player), and so far, we have Provorov, Ghost and Hagg playing at the NHL level. Hagg is a 4/5 defenseman right now, closer to 5. Morin and Myers have an injury history, and we have no idea if they will pan out at the NHL level, so it's never a bad idea to keep replenishing all positions. After those two, there aren't any other bright defensive prospects in the pipeline.

I don't mind the idea of getting Bennett. It's similar to the Reinhart idea. After this season, we have a hole at 3C - Filp is gone, Laughton is a 3C/4C tweener, and Vecchione/Vorobyev are unproven, so we don't know what we have. 

I was telling @elmatus that I think this is the offseason where Hextall starts making bolder moves.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

It's similar to the Reinhart idea

I was just looking at that myself.    Do you package Simmonds and a pick to Buffalo for Reinhart and a pick?   I'm wondering which way the upgrade in picks goes.  It doesn't go from our first to their first, obviously.   But it gets you younger.   I'm sick and have a fever, so I have no idea if that even makes the slightest bit of sense.   

Just now, ruxpin said:

I was just looking at that myself.    Do you package Simmonds and a pick to Buffalo for Reinhart and a pick?   I'm wondering which way the upgrade in picks goes.  It doesn't go from our first to their first, obviously.   But it gets you younger.   I'm sick and have a fever, so I have no idea if that even makes the slightest bit of sense.   

I think Reinhart would command more than Bennett. He has found some success, and that on a team with... a pretty awful cast of characters quite frankly. I also prefer Bennett's power forward style to Reinhart's pass-first mentality. We have enough of those already, and losing Simmonds would mean losing grit. I'd rather get some back.

More importantly though, Buffalo is in no position to be vying for Simmonds. Calgary are on the doorstep of the postseason at least and may consider Simmonds part of what they're missing to put them over the hump.

11 minutes ago, brelic said:

If we don't end up packaging our 1sts for a higher pick, I would like to see Hextall draft a defenseman with one of them

If that defenseman pans out, it wouldn't be until 3-4 years from now (and more like 5+ until he's an impact player), and so far, we have Provorov, Ghost and Hagg playing at the NHL level. Hagg is a 4/5 defenseman right now, closer to 5. Morin and Myers have an injury history, and we have no idea if they will pan out at the NHL level, so it's never a bad idea to keep replenishing all positions. After those two, there aren't any other bright defensive prospects in the pipeline.

Yeah, I think that's probably wise.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I think Reinhart would command more than Bennett. He has found some success, and that on a team with... a pretty awful cast of characters quite frankly. I also prefer Bennett's power forward style to Reinhart's pass-first mentality. We have enough of those already, and losing Simmonds would mean losing grit. I'd rather get some back.

More importantly though, Buffalo is in no position to be vying for Simmonds. Calgary are on the doorstep of the postseason at least and may consider Simmonds part of what they're missing to put them over the hump.

Yeah, I really can't argue with this.   I'm suspicious of Bennett.   He could just need a change of scenery and a different situation, though.   

I wonder if Ratcliffe won't bring that grit you're looking for, but I suspect he's at least two years out.    You're also right that Bennett is probably more likely to get you player + pick for Simmonds.

@ruxpin @elmatus

Good points on both. I don't know much about either player, but I tend to agree that we do lack some sandpaper, so if a guy like Bennett fits the bill more, maybe that's the way to go. 

If nothing changes, here's what our roster would look like up front next year...

G/Coots/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Simmonds/Laughton/Weal

Lehtera/??/Weise

4C is the only "open" roster spot at the moment. 

Read and Filppula are gone. I'm also guessing a guy like Aube-Kubel seriously challenges for a 3rd line roster spot. Weise or Lehtera may be bought out.

I could do without Weal also. 

Gonna be a fun ride. 

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

G/Coots/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Simmonds/Laughton/Weal

Lehtera/??/Weise

Aube-Kubel  could challenge, as you say.   Otherwise you really don't have any rookies in there (I think technically Lindblom might qualify. I forget the rules on that).   I'm not sure anyone else is ready, are they?    I suppose Frost could really impress in camp or at least get the 9 game or whatever look.  But looking at that roster, where do you put him?   For a 9-game stint to get him a taste I guess 4th line is okay, but he may be better off just going back to juniors.   Ratcliffe isn't there yet, I don't think.   Strome isn't, right?   Vecchione?  

The writing is on the wall for Simmonds. He is on the third line and has been moved off the first PP unit. The emergence of Patrick and Simmonds a year away from FA shows me he will be available for trade at the draft.  Simmonds is a great player but we will not be able to afford him when his contract is up. 

The Rangers got 2 prospects and a first rounder for that underachieving softie, Nash. So we should get a nice haul for Simmonds. Maybe we can utilize these assets and one of our picks to move into the top 4 in the draft.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But looking at that roster, where do you put him?

Looking at that roster is kinda depressing, lol. It's worse than what we're icing right now. 

I'd honestly consider Read on a 1 year deal if Hextall can get rid of Weise or Lehtera. He's the perfect 4th liner at this point.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not sure anyone else is ready, are they? 

It doesn't sound like it. Seems like they want Frost to put on some mass, so unless he blows the doors off the barn, he ain't gonna be on the team. Ratcliffe and Strome need another year of junior, I'd say, and then likely AHL. 

Realistically, we have Aube-Kubel, Vecchione, and Vorobyev who could make the jump to the NHL. I'm not sure any other forward in LHV is going to be NHL-caliber.

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

The writing is on the wall for Simmonds. He is on the third line and has been moved off the first PP unit. The emergence of Patrick and Simmonds a year away from FA shows me he will be available for trade at the draft.  Simmonds is a great player but we will not be able to afford him when his contract is up. 

The Rangers got 2 prospects and a first rounder for that underachieving softie, Nash. So we should get a nice haul for Simmonds. Maybe we can utilize these assets and one of our picks to move into the top 4 in the draft.

Speaking of which, it sounds like they will sign Kovalchuk.

I have no idea why he'd want to go to a rebuilding team, but there it is. He would look great on the Flyers, who are ahead of the NYR in terms of their cycle. 

I would like to see us draft a big physical defenseman and a winger who is a shoot first kinda guy. We have enough finesse on our blue line,  we need an intimidator who can hit and play defense. I know we have Morin, but we need another big guy. We have too many passers up front, we need a finisher.  So will there be a finisher and a big dman available at 15 and 20? Or is there another Konecny that we may move up and trade for.

32 minutes ago, brelic said:

G/Coots/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Simmonds/Laughton/Weal

Lehtera/??/Weise

I'm thinking Vex gets a look at one of the bottom two C positions. I have a feeling Frost will stay down for another year.

Also, you're forgetting Raffl.

33 minutes ago, brelic said:

Weise or Lehtera may be bought out.

Would they have to be, or could they just ride the pine all year?

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I heard Kovlachuk is going to Toronto as well as Taveras

Can you imagine? I call BS. For starters, they'd never be able to afford them both without completely overhauling their current roster, and why do that when you're a legitimate threat as it is with a bunch of young guns locked in for years to come?

I can see one of them going there but not both. Toronto being Toronto, it seems like every player of note is rumoured to be heading to Toronto.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm thinking Vex gets a look at one of the bottom two C positions. I have a feeling Frost will stay down for another year.

Also, you're forgetting Raffl.

Oh, right. So I guess there are no open roster spots at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Would they have to be, or could they just ride the pine all year?

Yeah, that's an option too. If there's no one pushing for spots, that might be the best option. 

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Can you imagine? I call BS. For starters, they'd never be able to afford them both without completely overhauling their current roster, and why do that when you're a legitimate threat as it is with a bunch of young guns locked in for years to come?

I can see one of them going there but not both. Toronto being Toronto, it seems like every player of note is rumoured to be heading to Toronto.

JT and Kovy would put them over the top, but also cap-strap them when it comes time to pay the young guys. 

So do it, I say! :)

Weal is a minor leaguer,  we can buy out one of either Weise and Lethera and the guy that's left can be a spare forward that we scratch all year. As brelic wrote we have maybe 3 guys on the Phantoms who have a shot to make the team. None of which are gonna stop in and score 30 goals. I think when Hexy trades Simmonds he will get a winger who can step in and be a factor.

10 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Weal is a minor leaguer,  we can buy out one of either Weise and Lethera and the guy that's left can be a spare forward that we scratch all year. As brelic wrote we have maybe 3 guys on the Phantoms who have a shot to make the team. None of which are gonna stop in and score 30 goals. I think when Hexy trades Simmonds he will get a winger who can step in and be a factor.

I didn't mention guys like Allison, Twarynski, Laczynski, Rubtsov, Laberge, Bunnaman, Hart because I think they'll all spend the year in the AHL, perhaps getting a cup of coffee at some point if there are injuries or their play warrants it. 

6 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

If we could come together with a package and move up to 2 or 3 and get Svechnikov or Zadina I would be all on board.  Or if somehow Dahlin isn't drafted 1st overall.  

14th and our 2nd 1st (31st!?) probably won't be enough to move up that much though.  So what would Ottawa or Arizona want?  If Arizona can we unload Lehtera in the process since they have all that cap space?

I like Zadina as a Mooseheads fan, but I am not as high on him as I was on Mackinnon, Drouin, Ehlers, Meier or Hischier

Archived