Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

23 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I really believe that Hextall is going to target a high end right handed defenseman and use one of the picks and a player to get him. Add in the fact that the Flyers have a ton of cap space and they should be big game hunters at the draft. Of course, Hextall might end up doing nothing. They have serious options though and I expect a bounty of some sort at the draft.

Yeah, I hear this totally.  I could see Hextall moving the picks to land an NHL-ready asset more than I can see him using picks to move up.  I could also see him moving back if he thinks he can get a player they like later and pick up a better pick in the future.  That said, he still needs to do his diligence on how far he could move up if a trade for an NHL-ready player doesn't materialize.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, vis said:

He would be there at #3 and Montreal may entertain the idea of trading that pick.  Flyers could make an attractive offer, if inclined to move up.

Make Lehtera the centerpiece. He's Quebeçois, right?

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Make Lehtera the centerpiece. He's Quebeçois, right?

Yeah, tell Bergevin that his real name is Jacques Lehterriere.  Should work.

Honestly, the Flyers have prospects and roster players it could move should they be inclined to move to #3.  Though, MTL may not want to slid back that far.

7 hours ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

No I wouldn't do Simmonds either...just being a little facetious.  I didn't think Zadina's skating was that bad...but what do I know.  I would be very excited to draft him but he will be gone by #14.

Zadinas skating isn't bad...it's just not great.  Svechnikovs is. They both played for good teams...Svechnikov played in a slightly better league though. Zadina scored 44 goals in 57 games...Svechnikov scored 40 goals in 44 games. Svechnikov doesn't shy away from physical play at all whereas Zadina prefers to play more of a perimeter game. Svechnikov is a pretty good PKer too. 

Zadina is a very good player, and  deserves to go 3rd. But if someone takes him 2nd, I think they're taking a slightly  inferior player. Some think Carolina may take him because they already have Necas who centered him at the WJs. But I'm taking the BPA, always, in the 1st round, and that's Svechnikov. IMO.

I would go Finn crazy and take two forwards....

...and then...

Both kids could stay and develop in the SHL for the next two-three years....or at least one more year and come over early and play in the AHL and their contracts slide the first year like Hagg did.

Which ever Ro thinks is best.

Both kid's have some good wheels and size at 6-1+ 190 and growing...

Here is ISS April 2018 Rankings:

image.png

I agree with @OccamsRazor  if I am the Flyers I am taking a serious look at  Rasmus Kupari with the 14th pick.

Rasmus Kupari

Date of Birth

March 15, 2000

Height

6' 0.75

Weight

Country

Finland

Position

Center

Secondary Position

Left Winger

Shoots

Right

Amateur Team

Oulu Karpat

Solid centre-wing with top end speed, a superb stride, and lateral agility. His elite burst gets him top gear very quickly, sometimes a stride, and changes direction rapidly. Aggressively gets in for the forecheck, and will use his body to separate pucks from the opposition along the way of his attack zone. Creative in the attack zone, he make nice feeds and is best when he has open ice to work in. Projects as a centre. Hands are quicker shooting than handling and loses puck in tight. Is able to cover lots of ice each shift, and does. He has an excellent shot, Needs to get better in his decision making and reads, and be more consistent player. The fact he shuttled from Liiga, Junior A SM-liiga and Mestis and was asked to also shuttle between wing and centre didn’t help his progress. His lack of production this past year will see his draft value drop but there is still much to like about this prospect.

—Bill Placzek—

I know he projects as a Center, but I have seen the Flyers try before to convert Centers to Wingers.

I got to see Ty Smith from Spokane up close in the winterhawks first round this year. Ranked 11. He is pretty good.

Plays LD so not really a position of need but would be a pretty safe pick mid first round if available. Not too flashy but consistently solid.  Whenever I checked the number after a solid play, it was him. And he was going against hawks top lines. 

1 hour ago, Claude Monet said:

I got to see Ty Smith from Spokane up close in the winterhawks first round this year. Ranked 11. He is pretty good.

Plays LD so not really a position of need but would be a pretty safe pick mid first round if available. Not too flashy but consistently solid.  Whenever I checked the number after a solid play, it was him. And he was going against hawks top lines. 

If he's still on the board, you have to take a serious look, but I'll be shocked if he's still there.  It's possible at 14, though. 

27 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

New ISS Hockey Rankings Released for May 2018:

image.png

Interesting.  There's quite a bit of movement from April to May for slots after #8.   Is that just representative of the fact it's fairly even after the top 8?  

I'm still going for Kupari with the #14.   Smith and Wilde both dropped a bit, huh?   I think we should draft Grouix just to screw with people (Hextall/Hakstol,  Giroux/Grouix)

I like Hayton, too, if he still there at #14.    Is it wise to trade the #19 for a first round pick next year and hope it falls in the top 10?

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think we should draft Grouix just to screw with people (Hextall/Hakstol,  Giroux/Grouix)

This is substantially better reasoning than what we got from Homer for years. 

@brelic, #GetHexyOnThePhone!

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe they could package them to move up in the top 5.

I think a trade up into the top 5 would require a roster player / top prospect.

If I'm the Flyers and had #3-5 overall, I wouldn't move it for the #14 and #19 unless it included a young talented roster player or top level prospect.. because that's what you'd be giving up in accepting the trade.

For the Flyers, that's probably someone like Sanheim, Morin, Konecny, Frost. I honestly don't think Simmonds gets it done - not for a top 5 pick. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I think a trade up into the top 5 would require a roster player / top prospect.

If I'm the Flyers and had #3-5 overall, I wouldn't move it for the #14 and #19 unless it included a young talented roster player or top level prospect.. because that's what you'd be giving up in accepting the trade.

For the Flyers, that's probably someone like Sanheim, Morin, Konecny, Frost. I honestly don't think Simmonds gets it done - not for a top 5 pick. 

Yeah i would be cool with taking the BPAs available at both picks.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i would be cool with taking the BPAs available at both picks.

That's what I'm hoping for. The more depth you build, the more options they have available. Until the Flyers have a legitimate goaltender in place and the defense is fixed, they simply aren't at the point yet where they can afford to move picks and prospects to move up. 

23 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's what I'm hoping for. The more depth you build, the more options they have available. Until the Flyers have a legitimate goaltender in place and the defense is fixed, they simply aren't at the point yet where they can afford to move picks and prospects to move up. 

Yes fine by me they are not just propsect you're basically stacking gold bargaining chips too when the time comes.

Much more appealing to have a prospect ***insert name/position*** a concrete asset...than say an abstract draft pick.

If there is a pure goal scorer in this draft and we can trade up , I think it’s a good idea. In all probality we will improve over the next few years , so our pick will be later in the first round and the chances of having 2 first rounders in the top 20 again is slim. So this may be the only chance we have at landing a much needed finisher. The question is  which guy do we target , what is the cost and is he worth it? If Simmonds or  Voracek are moved and we gain 2 or 3 picks/players ,then we have more assets and making a trade is easier and we still have plenty of additional assets so giving up some won’t hurt. I just don’t see us paying G , Simmonds and   Voracek big $ over the long term. Someone has to go.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

If there is a pure goal scorer in this draft and we can trade up , I think it’s a good idea. In all probality we will improve over the next few years , so our pick will be later in the first round and the chances of having 2 first rounders in the top 20 again is slim. So this may be the only chance we have at landing a much needed finisher. The question is  which guy do we target , what is the cost and is he worth it? If Simmonds or  Voracek are moved and we gain 2 or 3 picks/players ,then we have more assets and making a trade is easier and we still have plenty of additional assets so giving up some won’t hurt. I just don’t see us paying G , Simmonds and   Voracek big $ over the long term. Someone has to go.

Let's pull a Mike Ditka and just trade all the picks for Connor McDavid!!

:cheers:

9 hours ago, intheslot said:

Trade the two to move up to the top three ...

and a player ..

According to Bob MacKenzie, Carolina could trade the #2 overall. Apparently, Waddell has traded his first overall pick three times. 

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-17-1.1076164

The Canes talk starts around 11:00, and the specific talk about the #2 overall starts around 16:30 (17:55 when he reads the listener question asking that specifically).

Basically, MacKenzie is saying the major question to consider from the Canes perspective is how low in the first round are they willing to go?

The Rags blogger mentions they could go hard after it (they have the 9th overall).

That being said, what could the Flyers offer that would make sense?

I think it would start with the #14 and #19. What else? Does Simmonds get it done? I'm not sure it does... I feel like it would take a Konecny type - young player with proven upside. 

Thoughts?

54 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think it would start with the #14 and #19. What else? Does Simmonds get it done? I'm not sure it does... I feel like it would take a Konecny type - young player with proven upside. 

What could the Canes want? They're not in a rebuild per se. They're really not so far away from being competitive enough to at least make the playoffs. That said, they're much farther away from actual contention. I feel like Simmonds is a guy who gets traded to a contender. I don't know that Carolina will be a match.

TK? Yeah, maybe. That's a gamble though. TK was fantastic this year. If he solidifies himself as a top line winger in 2018-19, what more can we ask of him? Will Svech be better? Maybe. But will Svech plus whatever we get at 14 and 19 be better? I dunno... Say we get a mid-six player with either of those picks, I'd keep TK.

36 minutes ago, brelic said:

According to Bob MacKenzie, Carolina could trade the #2 overall. Apparently, Waddell has traded his first overall pick three times. 

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/the-tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-2-episode-17-1.1076164

The Canes talk starts around 11:00, and the specific talk about the #2 overall starts around 16:30 (17:55 when he reads the listener question asking that specifically).

Basically, MacKenzie is saying the major question to consider from the Canes perspective is how low in the first round are they willing to go?

The Rags blogger mentions they could go hard after it (they have the 9th overall).

That being said, what could the Flyers offer that would make sense?

Thoughts?

It's an interesting thought, but those picks are so inflated with regards to cost. 

Based on the NFL-type NHL pick value chart, Pick 14 is worth 352 points, Pick 19 is worth 281 -  633 points (just shy of #5 OA in value). Based on the Broad Street Hockey research, the two picks value out at about #4 overall. The first chart is based on player success, the second on actual pick-for-pick trades.

In reality, there's no way you're getting that close to pick 2 with two mid-round firsts. It's unlikely that you could entice a team to drop back that far. So in order to actually make it to #2, I think the Flyers would need to make two separate deals. The first to turn #14 into a top-10 pick, while keeping #19. I'm not sure how they could do that. Maybe something creative with Chicago to take on a cap dump. THEN they can package that pick in the 5-10 range with 19, and that might get it done. 

The only other way I can see would be to package a Konecny-type with one (not both) firsts. But I'd much prefer to ADD Svechnikov, not swap him for an already-established, young guy.

I know it is nice to dream but i actually think Hexy stays pat and goes with the BPA at both spots.

Last year's draft haul at those spots was Cal Foote and Josh Norris. That is a great return just holding tight.

Or since we are dreaming how about a trade that cost less for a NHL ready forward with size...who is also Russian...

The #14 pick and a 2019 2nd for Valeri Nichushkin???

A 6-4 215 guy who can play either wing and is only 23??? 

Or if you REALLY want to shake it up and Nish loves to play Jake's spot on the powerplay....flip them Jake for him....

...hey dream BIG right. He and the Stars have had issues his trade value is down...just throwing it out there.

I think if you trade Jake you HAVE to get something back too....blast away...

...or at least kick the tires on the guy somehow....

9A0nj0nHR5DoK_tbYYdgFrXwq-90PvYCA2wu76Wy

@OccamsRazor

I would be wary about Nichushkin. He had some injury issues and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he go back to Russia??  I don't think he was on the Stars roster last year. Last I heard he was playing in the KHL. I personally would not risk it.

Archived