Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

26 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@pilldoc

This one also has us taking Woo.   This one is really pretty lazy.  He has Carolina taking Zadina over Svechnikov.  I wouldn't put Don Waddell doing something so stupid, but if he does, someone should punch him in the face.

https://fansided.com/2018/05/08/2018-nhl-mock-draft-rasmus-dahlin-goes-to-sabres/

1. Buffalo Sabres – Rasmus Dahlin, D
2. Carolina Hurricanes – Filip Zadina, LW
3. Montreal Canadiens – Andrei Svechnikov, RW
4. Ottawa Senators – Oliver Wahlstrom, LW
5. Arizona Coyotes – Brady Tkachuk, LW
6. Detroit Red Wings – Quinton Hughes, D
7. Vancouver Canucks – Adam Boqvist, D
8. Chicago Blackhawks – Noah Dobson, D
9. New York Rangers – Evan Bouchard, D
10. Edmonton Oilers – Ty Smith, D
11. New York Islanders – Barrett Hayton, C
12. New York Islanders – Ryan Merkley, D
13. Dallas Stars – Joe Veleno, C
14. Philadelphia Flyers – Jett Woo, D
15. Florida Panthers – Jakub Lauko, LW
16. Colorado Avalanche – Bode Wilde, D
17. New Jersey Devils – Calen Addison, D
18. Columbus Blue Jackets – Joel Farabee, LW
19. Philadelphia Flyers – Mattias Samuelsson, D
20. Los Angeles Kings – Jesperi Kotkaniemi, RW
21. San Jose Sharks – Serron Noel, RW
22. Ottawa Senators – Akil Thomas, C
23. Anaheim Ducks – Isac Lundestrom, C
24. Minnesota Wild – Grigori Denisenko, LW
25. Toronto Maple Leafs – Jared McIssac, D
26. New York Rangers – Vitali Kravtsov, RW
27. St. Louis Blues – Adam Ginning, D
28. Washington Capitals – Oliver Rodrigue, G
29. Detroit Red Wings – Alexander Alexeyev, D
30. New York Rangers – Ryan McLeod, C
31. Chicago Blackhawks – Kevin Bahl, D

Where is Kupari???

What....he has him falling all the way out the 1st round???

I would take him over Woo.

Zadina over Svechnikov??? To go with Necas from last year???

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Where is Kupari???

What....he has him falling all the way out the 1st round???

I would take him over Woo.

Zadina over Svechnikov??? To go with Necas from last year???

Yeah, Valeno is also not there. It's really a poor excuse for a mock draft. 

I think Woo could fall to 2nd round, but my guess is he goes late 20s.  I'm okay with him as a pick (not excited), but trade back for it. Using #14 for him should get Hextall fired before he gets on the plane home. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

@pilldoc

This one also has us taking Woo.   This one is really pretty lazy.  He has Carolina taking Zadina over Svechnikov.  I wouldn't put Don Waddell doing something so stupid, but if he does, someone should punch him in the face.

https://fansided.com/2018/05/08/2018-nhl-mock-draft-rasmus-dahlin-goes-to-sabres/

1. Buffalo Sabres – Rasmus Dahlin, D
2. Carolina Hurricanes – Filip Zadina, LW
3. Montreal Canadiens – Andrei Svechnikov, RW
4. Ottawa Senators – Oliver Wahlstrom, LW
5. Arizona Coyotes – Brady Tkachuk, LW
6. Detroit Red Wings – Quinton Hughes, D
7. Vancouver Canucks – Adam Boqvist, D
8. Chicago Blackhawks – Noah Dobson, D
9. New York Rangers – Evan Bouchard, D
10. Edmonton Oilers – Ty Smith, D
11. New York Islanders – Barrett Hayton, C
12. New York Islanders – Ryan Merkley, D
13. Dallas Stars – Joe Veleno, C
14. Philadelphia Flyers – Jett Woo, D
15. Florida Panthers – Jakub Lauko, LW
16. Colorado Avalanche – Bode Wilde, D
17. New Jersey Devils – Calen Addison, D
18. Columbus Blue Jackets – Joel Farabee, LW
19. Philadelphia Flyers – Mattias Samuelsson, D
20. Los Angeles Kings – Jesperi Kotkaniemi, RW
21. San Jose Sharks – Serron Noel, RW
22. Ottawa Senators – Akil Thomas, C
23. Anaheim Ducks – Isac Lundestrom, C
24. Minnesota Wild – Grigori Denisenko, LW
25. Toronto Maple Leafs – Jared McIssac, D
26. New York Rangers – Vitali Kravtsov, RW
27. St. Louis Blues – Adam Ginning, D
28. Washington Capitals – Oliver Rodrigue, G
29. Detroit Red Wings – Alexander Alexeyev, D
30. New York Rangers – Ryan McLeod, C
31. Chicago Blackhawks – Kevin Bahl, D

WTF... this one is plain stupid.... unless my reading glasses are playing tricks with me ...I don't even see Kupari being drafted in the 1st Rd. ....SMH....

I don't know who this guy is, but I stumbled on it on YouTube and the guy does a fairly nice job on the top 15.  He has the Flyers taking Farabee, which I'm okay with.  Giroux would left wing Coots, Lindblom with Patrick, and Farabee with Frost. I kind of like that. 

My preference remains Kupari, but Farabee would be a good fallback. 

• hf101 changed the title to Flyers 2018 draft discussion
20 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Does seem to be a lot of flux after about 4/5. More than I remember seeing last year. 

There seems to be a bit of parity between maybe #5 and #12 or so, so it will come down to need in that stretch.

Again with 13 - 24ish.    I know take BPA, but it seems the groups are fairly even, so default to need at that point.

@AJgoal @pilldoc @flyercanuck  @OccamsRazor 

Sorry to anyone else.  My browser is not liking the tagging function on here.

Anyway, did you know if you register you can do your own mock draft?   You can apparently do all rounds, but ...yeah, not me.  I did try playing with the first round, though:   https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/60884

It was kind of fun just for giggles.   There are probably some ill-informed picks in there, but oh well.   Tell me what you think and maybe post your own.  Could be something fun to pass the time.

EDIT:   Make sure you register FIRST.   I did mine and then went to register when it was time to publish.   It didn't save any of it, and I had to do it again.

Here's mine below in case you don't want to click:

Round 1
1. Rasmus Dahlin (Buffalo Sabres)

(Details: You were expecting someone else?   He instantly moves Buffalo's blueline light years forward.  He and Risto could be a terrific team for years.).

2. Andrei Svechnikov (Carolina Hurricanes)

(Details: I have zero reason to believe the Hurricanes take anyone else.).

3. Filip Zadina (Montreal Canadiens)

(Details: BPA, you take Zadina here, though Habs really need help at center.).

4. Brady Tkachuk (Ottawa Senators)

(Details: The Senators should consider a defensemanv given Karlsson's situation. But Tkachuk gives them help they need up the middle.).

5. Adam Boqvist (Arizona Coyotes)

(Details: The Coyotes need a defenseman for similar reasons the Senators do. Who knows what happens with OEL?   If Oliver stays, Boqvist will give them a really nice back end.  They take Tkachuk if the Sens go defenseman.).

6. Quinton Hughes (Detroit Red Wings)

(Details: Wings need defense and they'll go with Michigan's very own.).

7. Oliver Wahlstrom (Vancouver Canucks)

(Details: He potentially gives the Canucks a pretty good 1-2 punch with Horvat.).

8. Evan Bouchard (Chicago Blackhawks)

(Details: Keith and Seabrook are not getting any younger.).

9. Joseph Veleno (New York Rangers)

(Details: The Rangers are like a house fire victim:  they need everything. I'd like to see them go defense, especially with Ty Smith sitting there, but Veleno's their guy.).

10. Ty Smith (Edmonton Oilers)

(Details: The Oilers really should go defense here., and Ty Smith is really a good fit.  If there are plans to move RNH, they might go with a center.).

11. Joel Farabee (New York Islanders)

(Details: The Isles need a lot, too.   Farabee looks great with Tavares, if he stays.).

12. Noah Dobson (New York Islanders from Calgary Flames)

(Details: Our favorite itinerant team walks away with a forward and a needed defenseman in the first round.).

13. Jared McIsaac (Dallas Stars)

(Details: Why not?  The Stars have Klingberg and...well, Klingberg on the blueline.).

14. Rasmus Kupari (Philadelphia Flyers from St. Louis Blues)

(Details: One of my favorite players in the draft with a lot of upside but some risk.  Given their prospect pool, the Flyers can afford a little bit of a risk. However, expect the Flyers to try to move up to #7 (Vancouver) or #8 (Chicago) with both this and their 19th.  They look to lose one of their touted young defensemen in the Seattle expansion draft, so this is their chance to grab a repcement and there will be a couple available at #7 or #8.).

15. Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Florida Panthers)

(Details: Exactly Florida's kind of player.).

16. Grigori Denisenko (Colorado Avalanche)

(Details: They may take Addison here, but they could really use some help on LW with Landeskog.).

17. Calen Addison (New Jersey Devils)

(Details: Wouldn't he look good feeding Hirschier and Hall in a couple years?).

18. Barrett Hayton (Columbus Blue Jackets)

(Details: Columbus does not have a lot of depth at center.  Hayton helps there and is a decent playmaker who works hard.).

19. Rasmus Sandin (Philadelphia Flyers)

(Details: I'm not expecting the Flyers to use this pick.  If they've use #14, it's because they couldn't move up.  In that case, look for Hextall to trade back from #19.   If not, they grab their defenseman.   They likely could get Sandin further back, so...).

20. Ryan McLeod (Los Angeles Kings).

21. Akil Thomas (San Jose Sharks).

22. Bode Wilde (Ottawa Senators from Pittsburgh Penguins)

(Details: Especially if Karlsson stays, he's a good--if unspectacular--stay-at-home defenseman.).

23. Serron Noel (Anaheim Ducks)

(Details: Did Corey Perry turn 50 yet?).

24. Isac Lundeström (Minnesota Wild)

(Details: Where do you start?  This team needs so much work.  I'd start at center.).

25. Jett Woo (Toronto Maple Leafs)

(Details: I'd prefer more of an offensive defenseman for Toronto, but he'll do at #25.   I've seen him as high as #12 in some mocks, which should get a GM fired on the way home.).

26. Mattias Samuelsson (New York Rangers from Boston Bruins)

(Details: The Blue Shirts come away with the defenseman they didn't grab at #9. Son of Kjeil Sammelsson, so he's expectedly a big guy.  He could be a steal at #26.).

27. Benoit-Olivier Groulx (Chicago Blackhawks from Nashville Predators).

28. Ryan Merkley (New York Rangers from Tampa Bay Lightning)

(Details: With three first round picks, the Rangers can maybe afford to take a risk.  And make no mistake, this is a risk.   Lots of upside offensively, but Merkely is a terrifice mixture of great ability but incredible stupidity and selfishness.  If the Rangers can figure out how to teach him that life goes on behind the blueine, this is a good pick.  Otherwise, maybe try to convince him to play wing.).

29. Vitali Kravtsov (St. Louis Blues from Winnipeg Jets)

(Details: This is a reach, but man would he look good with Tarasenko.).

30. Vladislav Kotkov (Washington Capitals)

(Details: Because why not?).

31. Jack McBain (Detroit Red Wings from Vegas Golden Knights)

(Details: Tallish center who still needs to fill out a bit, but could be a good 2nd or 3rd line center.).

CapFriendly.com User-Generated Mock-Draft

30 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@AJgoal @pilldoc @flyercanuck  @OccamsRazor 

Sorry to anyone else.  My browser is not liking the tagging function on here.

Anyway, did you know if you register you can do your own mock draft?   You can apparently do all rounds, but ...yeah, not me.  I did try playing with the first round, though:   https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/60884

It was kind of fun just for giggles.   There are probably some ill-informed picks in there, but oh well.   Tell me what you think and maybe post your own.  Could be something fun to pass the time.

I like...will post later tomorrow 

Well drinking my coffee about to head out to work so not much time to discuss so i will make it short.

Pretty good...as i said somewhere else i think Bouchard goes to the Yotes but i like your pick for the Yotes if not him.

However if they don't no way i can see the Wings passing him once he is sitting there (he was even more productive in his 3rd year of junior than Sanheim and is a right hand shot) talk about a club in dire need a young D man with his upside i can't see a more needy team than the Wings.

Otherwise solid mock draft.

I like the Flyers pick but it is the second time i have seen you say Kupari is a risk how so is it more risky than others???

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well drinking my coffee about to head out to work so not much time to discuss so i will make it short.

Pretty good...as i said somewhere else i think Bouchard goes to the Yotes but i like your pick for the Yotes if not him.

However if they don't no way i can see the Wings passing him once he is sitting there (he was even more productive in his 3rd year of junior than Sanheim and is a right hand shot) talk about a club in dire need a young D man with his upside i can't see a more needy team than the Wings.

Otherwise solid mock draft.

I like the Flyers pick but it is the second time i have seen you say Kupari is a risk how so is it more risky than others???

First, thanks!   I don't think I've ever done one, so it was really fun to me but probably slightly harder than I gave it credit for.

Kupari:  Probably not as big a deal as I make it by mentioning it multiple times (or even in the mock).  He's terrific on offense and really creative.   His defense really isn't there according to a couple different reports I've read (I don't have enough eye on him to make that assessment myself).   It may come, but he's not the mature (wrong word) two-way player Hextall often goes for.   So, he'll need to work on strength and he'll need to work on defense.  Not huge, but again at 14 maybe a bit of a risk.  

He may still be there at #19, actually, but if I want him I don't think I risk that.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Both plausible points.

I don't think Bouchard goes over Boqvist, though.    Possible, but if it's me I take Boqvist.   I really think the righthanded Bouchard would go great with OEL, but I wonder about OEL being there.  I think they're drafting his replacement.    If I'm a Coyotes fan (I'm not) I'll be upset if something happens that they come away with Tkachuk.  Familiar name and all that rot, but I don't think it's what they need if they eventually want to start icing a competitive team.

As for Detroit, I personally take either of Bouchard or Boqvist (whichever is available) over Hughes.   Hughes is no slouch, so this isn't about him as much as it is the other two.   I think they take the Michigan kid, though.   I think we agree that would be a mistake.  Even if it is Hughes, they'll come away with a good defenseman, but opportunity missed, I think.

Just got my Hockey News Draft  issues. I pick thee ones that thought sounded good for the Flyers. So here we go and also choice your picks. LW Farabee, C Lundestrom. D Sandin .C Kotkaniemi, C McLeod C Kupari. RW Kaut. RW Noel, LW Ranta, D Samuelsson, D Tychonick, D Beaudin .RW Ylonen C Drury  C .McBain and G Obrien Liked to hear something about these guys.

Real solid mock draft. 

As for Kupari not being the greatest defensively, I'm going to date myself here, but I remember back in 1997 a winger went 12th overall who fits the same description that Rasmus Kupari has. He was an excellent offensive player who had some defensive issues as well, but his coach at the time said you can teach defense, but you can't teach offense. That player turned out to be one of the best two-way wingers to ever play the game. His name was Marian Hossa.

As for 19, I agree - I think the Flyers move down. It won't surprise me if they move back to 26th and end up with either Kravtsov or possibly Jonatan Berggren. I also expect that if they move back to 26th, I'm expecting a 3rd to come back with that pick if the Flyers do that. 

5 hours ago, Jam1986 said:

Just got my Hockey News Draft  issues. I pick thee ones that thought sounded good for the Flyers. So here we go and also choice your picks. LW Farabee, C Lundestrom. D Sandin .C Kotkaniemi, C McLeod C Kupari. RW Kaut. RW Noel, LW Ranta, D Samuelsson, D Tychonick, D Beaudin .RW Ylonen C Drury  C .McBain and G Obrien Liked to hear something about these guys.

Meant to put in there. Douglas,Durzi,Florchuk,Phillips and McDonald

If we stay at 14/19 I'm hoping for Farabee or Kupari with 14 and Wild or Noel at 19.  

That being said I think Hextall will have something up his sleeve and make some moves.   I can see him packaging both picks and moving up or taking 14 and moving back with the 19th to pick up a 3rd or a 2nd (depending on how far we move back).   If someone like Wahlstrom is there at 8-10 I would hope we try to move up.  He has the speed, size, and shot to be a dominate winger at the NHL level.  

2 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

That being said I think Hextall will have something up his sleeve and make some moves.

I'm interested in seeing if this is possible as well. I feel like trading two mid-round picks for one closer to 10 isn't really Hextall's style, and I'm not sure any of the top 6-8 would entertain a trade in the first place.

Getting a pick above that will be very difficult. More than likely it would require a roster player plus the 14th pick. I think the most likely option for something like this would be Simmonds.

Of course, the problem then is what teams in the top seven or so would be interested in a player like Simmonds. He's a power forward who fits best on second line duties and in front of the net on the pp. No doubt he would generate a healthy amount of interest from a contender, but none of the teams with a pick so high are contenders. 

Simmonds plus the 14th doesn't get into the top three imo, so we can exclude those right off the bat. From there we've got the Sens, Yotes, Wings, Canucks, Hawks, Rangers, and Oilers to round out the top ten. Of that bunch, I can only see the Hawks and Oilers thinking they have any contending shot next year. The rest are all likely staring at a bottom ten finish again in 2018-19, and I'm pretty sure they know it.

Would the Hawks make some sort of trade for Simmonds? I don't know. He doesn't really fit their style of play. It would be a departure for sure. Would the Oilers? Yeah, I bet they probably would. Would Simmonds and the 19th overall be worth the 10th? I'm not so sure... Simmer may have had an off year, but he has been a train every other year. I'm not sure Hexy would move him for a 10th pick unless he really likes what he can get with it.

There's also the matter of Simmonds having a modified NTC. If he doesn't want to leave, all he has to do if put the Oilers on that 12 team list. I doubt he'd want to play there anyway (who does?).

There could always be other variables of course, but that's a quick look at how I think things stand with regards to getting a pick near the top.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:45 AM, ruxpin said:

Well, I meant Hayton with the St. Louis pick and Merkley with ours.    Out of curiosity, why don't you like Merkley?   He's not great in his own end at this point, but he's dynamic on offense.   Sounds like another guy on our team.  

I would stay away from Merk. The problem is, like you alluded to, his skill set is a perfect match to Ghosts ....that gives us two out of six offensive minded d-men. That is one-third of our defense that is not reliable in their own end....AND neither guy is physical or smart in their own end. I would just go a different route. 

36 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

That is one-third of our defense that is not reliable in their own end....AND neither guy is physical or smart in their own end. I would just go a different route. 

Yeah, I've since seen nearly everywhere that he's an idiot.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Simmonds plus the 14th doesn't get into the top three imo, so we can exclude those right off the bat. From there we've got the Sens, Yotes, Wings, Canucks, Hawks, Rangers, and Oilers to round out the top ten. Of that bunch, I can only see the Hawks and Oilers thinking they have any contending shot next year. The rest are all likely staring at a bottom ten finish again in 2018-19, and I'm pretty sure they know it.

Nope. If Simmonds is being moved, it's to a team who believes he can help push them over the top. It's going to be draft picks and prospects. If the Flyers move up, it's going to cost #14 and a top prospect or two. No thanks. Stay at 14, move Simmonds to a team who will be interested enough to offer their top prospect and some high picks this year and next year. If Simmonds hits the market, I can easily see 10 to 12 teams getting into the bidding. 

I could see Simmonds going in a player for player based trade, too. It's not like the Flyers need more prospects (as in their cupboard is far from bare, not that they're not always good to have more of), so if the Flyers were to move on a Skinner or a Hamilton, I could see Simmonds as a possibility there. Getting a slightly younger but established NHL vet might be the way Hextall goes with a Simmonds trade.

25 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Nope. If Simmonds is being moved, it's to a team who believes he can help push them over the top. It's going to be draft picks and prospects. If the Flyers move up, it's going to cost #14 and a top prospect or two. No thanks. Stay at 14, move Simmonds to a team who will be interested enough to offer their top prospect and some high picks this year and next year. If Simmonds hits the market, I can easily see 10 to 12 teams getting into the bidding. 

Completely agree with this. 

Depending upon what the board looks like at #19, I think it's more likely they move back than up. 

I don't think Buffalo or Arizona improves dramatically next year. I'd love to trade back to them and get their first next year.  If that could be pulled off, I do that. 

I'm also happy with the players that should be available at 14 & 19.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Certain statements on our posts and other written statements made by us from time to time are “forward-looking statements” which may describe strategies, goals, outlook or other non-historical matters, or project revenues, income, returns or other financial measures, often include words such as "believe," "expect," "anticipate," "intend," "plan,"  "estimate," "guidance," "project," "target," "potential," "will," "should," "could," "likely," or "may" and similar expressions intended to identify forward-looking statements. These statements are only predictions and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors that may cause our actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Given these uncertainties, you should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements (or pay the slightest bit of attention at all). Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made, and we undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements

Huh??? What dis be??? Legal gibberish fro Trump's lawyer??

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Huh??? What dis be??? Legal gibberish fro Trump's lawyer??

LOL. No, it's a very cookie cutter common  forward-looking statement disclaimer template. Just found it entertaining to me in the context of rambling message board posts. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-willing-to-trade-no-6-pick-in-nhl-draft/c-298850734

According to this report Detroit is willing to make a trade for the #6 pick.  Seems kind of crazy since they have either 30th/31st and two high 2nd rounds (33/36th) plus 3 3rd rounders.  Per the report they are looking for dmen and center.  Again this is going to be one of the  "but at what costs" arguments against it.    

The Detroit Red Wings have traded the 6th overall pick in the 2018 NHL entry draft to the Philadelphia Flyers for Petr Mrazek!  

20 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-willing-to-trade-no-6-pick-in-nhl-draft/c-298850734

According to this report Detroit is willing to make a trade for the #6 pick.  Seems kind of crazy since they have either 30th/31st and two high 2nd rounds (33/36th) plus 3 3rd rounders.  Per the report they are looking for dmen and center.  Again this is going to be one of the  "but at what costs" arguments against it.    

The Detroit Red Wings have traded the 6th overall pick in the 2018 NHL entry draft to the Philadelphia Flyers for Petr Mrazek!  

No idea what it would take, so I'll put that to the side other than to say obviously picks #14 & #19 would be involved.   If either of Boqvist or Bouchard are still on the board, I probably kick the tires.  And if Zadina or Svech is somehow still there, it's a no-brainer.

Archived