Game 3: April 16 at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Game 4: April 19 at Toronto, 7 p.m.
*Game 5: April 21 at Boston, TBD
*Game 6: April 23 at Toronto, TBD
*Game 7: April 25 at Boston, TBD

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked the Leafs and the Ducks in the finals this year before the season in my annual predictions sure to go wrong, lol, not gonna change now.

The Bruins have the largest collection of two way forwards in the game and are difficult to play against in every inch of the ice, everything is contested, they play hard smart hockey, Cassidy in many years would be a no brainer for coach of the year as they took a pedestrian defense and disguised it with forwards who all channel their inner Bob Gainey (Ask your grandparents if you don't get that one).

I just think the Leafs are too fast and too skilled up front and will wear the Bruins down in a long series. Should be a fun one, this is the series I will watch every minute of.

This is a rematch from 2013 when Boston knocked off an underdog Toronto team in 7 games.

I think Boston is the better team all around than Toronto, but I think it tips in Toronto's favour anyway because the Leafs want it more. It's hard to play desperate if you're the Bruins and you make the playoffs every single year. There's just no urgency or incentive for them to win. 

Leafs are going to lose key players like JVR after the season due to cap issues. They will be a weaker team next season. It's really now or never for Toronto.  

Leaf speed and firepower get the job done here. 

This'll be fun to watch given both teams' decorated histories. 

It's been awhile since Toronto has decorated its shelves with 

a Cup. I don't know that they get another one with the 

opportunity window they have here. But methinks they take Boston. 

It's been an historic season for TO, 2 or 3 years into a rebuild and TO has set a new points benchmark for the franchise which is quite an accomplishment. 

Now the question is, how much longer can this team keep the dream alive.

36 minutes ago, hobie said:

It's been an historic season for TO, 2 or 3 years into a rebuild and TO has set a new points benchmark for the franchise which is quite an accomplishment. 

Now the question is, how much longer can this team keep the dream alive.

Think they'll be in tough with the Broons but they certainly have speed in their favor. Boston has the experience factor and grit. Was wondering if Leaf fans would be happy with this matchup or not.

Hard to believe this is the highest point total of such a storied franchise. 

I've read somewhere that Boston has had the best record since Dec.1 and I don't doubt that however I also feel that Boston has been playing full out all year and what you see is what you get.

TO is very inconsistent, not a good trait, but I think TO has another gear which can be turned on and hopefully engaged more consistently for the playoffs.

I feel TO has one primary job with Boston, slow down the Bergeron line.

On 09/04/2018 at 7:39 PM, hobie said:

I've read somewhere that Boston has had the best record since Dec.1 and I don't doubt that however I also feel that Boston has been playing full out all year and what you see is what you get.

Plus Toronto has been without Matthews for extended periods of time. 

I think it'll be a coin toss. :cointoss: Hopefully the Leafs don't wreck my NHL bracket challenge because I believe in them. I know they're good enough to lay an egg in the conference finals like the good old days.  :love::pyramiddance:

On 4/9/2018 at 10:43 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

This is a rematch from 2013 when Boston knocked off an underdog Toronto team in 7 games.

I think Boston is the better team all around than Toronto, but I think it tips in Toronto's favour anyway because the Leafs want it more. It's hard to play desperate if you're the Bruins and you make the playoffs every single year. There's just no urgency or incentive for them to win. 

Leafs are going to lose key players like JVR after the season due to cap issues. They will be a weaker team next season. It's really now or never for Toronto.  

Ok...what????

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok...what????

The Leafs aren't like the Red Wings, Bruins, Canadiens, or Penguins. This franchise doesn't get 25 chances in a row to win a Stanley Cup. They get maybe 5 and then we're into the next rebuild. 

The Leafs broke their all time franchise record for points this season.... with a figure that a half dozen other NHL teams (including Vegas) easily eclipsed as well. Vegas in year #1 has more points than the Leafs do in a century of hockey. 

So basically I'm treating this like a small window (as they've always been for Leafs fans). Leafs playoff tickets are like artifacts that you find in a museum. They're more valuable than diamonds. 

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Leafs aren't like the Red Wings, Bruins, Canadiens, or Penguins. This franchise doesn't get 25 chances in a row to win a Stanley Cup. They get maybe 5 and then we're into the next rebuild. 

The Leafs broke their all time franchise record for points this season.... with a figure that a half dozen other NHL teams (including Vegas) easily eclipsed as well. Vegas in year #1 has more points than the Leafs do in a century of hockey. 

So basically I'm treating this like a small window (as they've always been for Leafs fans). Leafs playoff tickets are like artifacts that you find in a museum. They're more valuable than diamonds. 

This Leaf team isn't made up of a bunch of almost washed up veterans that were dealt for with draft picks and prospects. Some of your best players are your youngest. They'll likely get better.

Losing JVR isn't a big deal. His goals can be replenished by a few others stepping up. His drive doesn't have to be....it wasn't there. 

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

This Leaf team isn't made up of a bunch of almost washed up veterans that were dealt for with draft picks and prospects. Some of your best players are your youngest. They'll likely get better.

Losing JVR isn't a big deal. His goals can be replenished by a few others stepping up. His drive doesn't have to be....it wasn't there. 

I think the Leafs have a real shot here.  Boston coming off that stinker vs Florida.  Now they did have motivation to win that game?  Unless they wanted this matchup?  They do not scare me.  Hell, my Sabres beat them twice.  I like the Leafs chances

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I think the Leafs have a real shot here.  Boston coming off that stinker vs Florida.  Now they did have motivation to win that game?  Unless they wanted this matchup?  They do not scare me.  Hell, my Sabres beat them twice.  I like the Leafs chances

I agree. I think this is one of those seasons where there's quite a few teams that could win the cup. Unfortunately neither yours or mine is in that conversation.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree. I think this is one of those seasons where there's quite a few teams that could win the cup. Unfortunately neither yours or mine is in that conversation.

Its the strangest year I can remember in modern era.  I mean, Vegas?  with that record?  Seriously?  Who saw that coming?  

9 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Its the strangest year I can remember in modern era.  I mean, Vegas?  with that record?  Seriously?  Who saw that coming?  

Simply put ..... nobody.... 

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And when Buffalo did beat TO it was because they were the best team.

Can't understand why Buffalo was/is so bad Eichel, O'Rielly and Ristolainen should mean instantly competitive. They're a great foundation and add Dahlin, Buffalo becomes a Cup favourite quickly.

Mittlestadt with 5 points in 6 games looks very promising and he's another center.

Good times can't be far away. 

Archived