• Bruins in 5
    • Bruins in 6
    • Bruins in 7
    • Leafs Sweep 4-0
    • Leafs in 5
    • Leafs in 6
    • Leafs in 7

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

The issue is with the personnel, not the coach, IMHO. As I have said before, the Leafs biggest problem is that they have no team toughness at all. You cannot build a successful team in the NHL based wholly on talent, there simply isn't enough talent to go around when there are 32 teams in the league.

They are getting completely manhandled by the Broons, in every department. This cannot be corrected during this series I'm afraid. I still hold out hope for the next game (typical Leafs fan) though. Fingers crossed... ??

Marner and Nylander are both highly skilled players, but theres zero grit to their game. Add in guys like JVR/Bozak/Gardiner/Zaitsev/Rielly and it's not a great combination to go against the Bruins or really anyone when it's 4 rounds to the cup. 

Still a work in progress though...you'd have to be delusional to think this is a contender. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/11/2018 at 3:46 PM, B21 said:

I think there is more heartache ahead for the Leafs. Not blowing a 4-1 lead in 10:00 heartache but I like the Bruins in a close 7 game series. 

in june 15 teams will  have faced heartache. lol! There is only one winner

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

The issue is with the personnel, not the coach, IMHO. As I have said before, the Leafs biggest problem is that they have no team toughness at all. You cannot build a successful team in the NHL based wholly on talent, there simply isn't enough talent to go around when there are 32 teams in the league.

They are getting completely manhandled by the Broons, in every department. This cannot be corrected during this series I'm afraid. I still hold out hope for the next game (typical Leafs fan) though. Fingers crossed... ??

Altho I agree, it's pointless to lament what Babs doesn't have to play. TO ended the year with 105 points, top 6, so lack of toughness was something he managed quite well this year. How did he do that, talent TO has more than pretty well every team in the league.

We're seeing what seems like every shot going in, last night Boston had 4 goals on 6 shots and I would think that any team would become dispirited. Everything Boston is doing is coming up roses and everything TO does comes up ragweed. 

Teams go thru peaks and valleys and I think it's up to the coach to shake the valleys, like put Matthews, Marner and Nylander out against the Bergeron line, putting Rielly and Gardiner together again against that line. Stop that line or at least equal it and TO's chances of winning the series increases considerably. Keeping his watered down lines so TO can roll out 4 lines is nonsense, neither Hymen or Leo should be on the 1st line at any time but even more so in the playoffs.

In the first game Hymen and Leo played the most minutes, that should never be and wouldn't have been if Babs had used Matthews, Marner and Nylander to PK during the regular season and also TO wouldn't have taken so many penalties if TO could've played Boston on equal footing, great line against great line. TO's current 4th line is horrible, Plekanec and Leo aren't good NHL players any more.

I think TO should have more assets at the ready like Moore and Johnsson but Babs doesn't trust them, I have serious reservations about Babs' trust.

This whole thing doesn't matter because TO isn't getting NHL goaltending right now. 

13 hours ago, hobie said:

The series is over.

Babs is incapable of thinking outside of his own box.

I think you might be right.

The Leafs were one of my "underdog/feel good story" bracket picks this year. (The Flyers and Knights being the others.) Thus far, this has been the only playoff series that hasn't been at all competitive and hasn't lived up to expectations given the rivalry between Boston and Toronto. I don't get the sense that the Leafs care. Other than Kadri, they don't seem to be playing with any kind of passion, besides snapping sticks. 

Babcock seems hellbent on dividing his scoring over four lines, creating four mediocre lines instead of one or two really good lines. Why not put JVR, Matthews, and Marner on the top line? Get Komarov off the top line. 

6 hours ago, BluPuk said:

• The compete level isn't there with the Bruins.
  • The toughness level doesn't match the Bruins.
  • The defence is nowhere near the level of the Bruins overall team defence.

This is what happens to teams like the Leafs that rely on a hot goalie to win games. Eventually, you run into a team in the playoffs with a comparable goalie to your own (so you can't out "goal-tend" the other team) and then it's a question of "what else ya got?" and the Leafs don't have anything else to fall back on. If Andersen isn't better than the other guy, the Leafs don't win games.

I figured I'd keep a running tally of the defensive error totals (since this likely won't go much longer):

To keep it simple, here they are sorted from most errors to least:

(After 2 games)

Hainsey - 3

Rielly - 3

Polak - 2

Andersen - 2

Gardiner - 2

Zaitsev - 2

JVR - 1

Marleau - 1

Plekanec - 1

Kadri - 1

Brown - 1

Dermott - 1

Matthews - 1

GAME #3 - Defensive Errors

1. Johnsson, Andersen
  2. Hymen, Andersen

4-2 TOR.

A must-win game by the Leafs and they won it.  :):mapleleafs:

Andersen started to play better as the game went along but he's still allowing too many soft goals and hasn't had anything close to an A-game yet. Leafs were lucky to survive tonight. Bruins players are still able to walk in on Andersen unmolested and get way too much time and space in the Leafs zone.  

DE totals, sorted from most errors to least:

(After 3 games)

Andersen - 4

Hainsey - 3

Rielly - 3

Polak - 2

Gardiner - 2

Zaitsev - 2

JVR - 1

Marleau - 1

Plekanec - 1

Kadri - 1

Brown - 1

Dermott - 1

Matthews - 1

Hymen - 1

Johnsson - 1

1 hour ago, Kadri43 said:

Please, please, please let Komarov miss the rest of the playoffs. The guy is horrific and the Leafs are WAY better without him. 

Given that the Leafs won a game finally, I'd come back with the exact same lineup.  :)

On 4/14/2018 at 11:38 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Going forward, I'm not sure what the Leafs do from here. This could be over in 4. Boston has no fear of Andersen whatsoever. They've basically chased him from two games already. (He should have been pulled in game 1 too.) Without a starting goalie to frustrate the opposition, the Leafs have nothing to fall back on.

Kadri is gone, and he seems to be the team's only "spark plug" type player. I don't know if he'll see another game in this series. Could very well be over before he comes back.

I was hoping the kids would take a step forward this year in their development, but I'm not seeing it here yet.

Neither of the games has been close. Unless the Bruins just take a night off out of boredom, I don't know what the Leafs can show them in game 3 that they can't easily handle. 

You all might want to rethink all of these nonsense posts.  Not you but your bros from Philly.  Leafs win!  Big win.  This is not over. Kadri has what?  One more?  I was going to put Van Riemsdyk on my fantasy team but thought better of it.  And Kadri.  Dodged a missile there.  But with the win that means Kadri will return in Boston.  I hope the Leafs win. Wont be easy but its possible now.  The Wild did a nice job of bouncing back.  I just cant see the Kings being swept.  Hoping the Capitals can stop this bleeding.  They gave two away.  I would not count them out yet.  Can win this game.

It seemed that a high percentage of Boston's shots were extremely difficult which is worrisome but TO won all year giving up lots of shots, lots of quality shots. 

Hot goaltending and offense won all year. 

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You all might want to rethink all of these nonsense posts.  Not you but your bros from Philly.  Leafs win!  Big win.  This is not over. Kadri has what?  One more?  I was going to put Van Riemsdyk on my fantasy team but thought better of it.  And Kadri.  Dodged a missile there.  But with the win that means Kadri will return in Boston.  I hope the Leafs win. Wont be easy but its possible now.  The Wild did a nice job of bouncing back.  I just cant see the Kings being swept.  Hoping the Capitals can stop this bleeding.  They gave two away.  I would not count them out yet.  Can win this game.

You certainly pack a lot into a post.

Do I understand this right: you basically picked all losers: Wild, Caps, Leafs, Kings. Did you pick the Ducks too?

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Do I understand this right: you basically picked all losers: Wild, Caps, Leafs, Kings. Did you pick the Ducks too?

I did not pick the series. I picked a game.  I think the Kings win a game tonight but too much to overcome. I think the Leafs have an uphill climb but its possible and I like the Wild the most of the teams that trail.  The Capitals are capable of beating an underachieving Columbus team for sure if their goalies wake up

20 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I did not pick the series. I picked a game.  I think the Kings win a game tonight but too much to overcome. I think the Leafs have an uphill climb but its possible and I like the Wild the most of the teams that trail.  The Capitals are capable of beating an underachieving Columbus team for sure if their goalies wake up

Ok, I stand corrected. 

33 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

HJ picked Dybnyk, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Parise, Josi, Brodin in the Playoff pool

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

HJ picked Dybnyk, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Parise, Josi, Brodin in the Playoff pool

Huh. Well I ended up with a bunch of Leafs in mine [insert shoot-self-in-head emoji]! so who am I to talk?! I'm still trying to figure out what happened, but I think beer was involved. 

I don't quite understands HJ's view of Minny having the best chance to upset the Jets. It seems...unlikely

11 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Huh. Well I ended up with a bunch of Leafs in mine [insert shoot-self-in-head emoji]! so who am I to talk?! I'm still trying to figure out what happened, but I think beer was involved. 

I don't quite understands HJ's view of Minny having the best chance to upset the Jets. It seems...unlikely

Everyone has different ideas on who will advance this year. Every tries to draft from 4 teams they think will make the conference finals

But I did see some choices I found perplexing.

Myself I took Crosby, Laine, Pavelski, Burns, Seth jones and Vasilievskiy

Archived