• Bruins Sweep 4-0
    • Bruins in 5
    • Bruins in 6
    • Bruins in 7
    • Leafs Sweep 4-0
    • Leafs in 5
    • Leafs in 6
    • Leafs in 7

Watching the Leafs all season all Leaf fans understand what Andersen has meant to TO's success. Yet Andersen isn't a Vezina candidate so it seems that Vasilevskiy is as equally essential to TB's success and maybe even more so as he is a Vezina candidate.

I think a TO/TB series is going to be exciting as neither are proficient at defending, it's the type of series I like to see. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, hobie said:

Watching the Leafs all season all Leaf fans understand what Andersen has meant to TO's success. Yet Andersen isn't a Vezina candidate so it seems that Vasilevskiy is as equally essential to TB's success and maybe even more so as he is a Vezina candidate.

He's certainly THE reason Toronto is still playing. 

What's that like anyway? :dunno:

8 hours ago, hobie said:

I think a TO/TB series is going to be exciting as neither are proficient at defending, it's the type of series I like to see. 

Not sure I'd be counting those chickens quite yet...I believe there's a game 7 to play. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Not sure I'd be counting those chickens quite yet...I believe there's a game 7 to play. 

Kiss of Death

Get this: I'm cheering for the Leafs!! I inexplicably ended up with 4 Leafs in my pool (Mathews, Marner, Kadri, Marleau) -  I'm the only one who took Leafs I think.

So basically if they win together today, I will walk together with them forever. :bonkingheadonwall:  

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

He's certainly THE reason Toronto is still playing. 

What's that like anyway? :dunno:

:lovethis:

The last time the Leafs had a goalie like this was either Belfour or Joseph..... a decade ago.  It has been a long time coming.  :)

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Kiss of Death

Get this: I'm cheering for the Leafs!! I inexplicably ended up with 4 Leafs in my pool (Mathews, Marner, Kadri, Marleau) -  I'm the only one who took Leafs I think.

So basically if they win together today, I will walk together with them forever. :bonkingheadonwall:  

I'm hoping they can pull it off. My bracket depends on it. :) 

I really hope this isn't the 6-0 beat-down in Boston that I thought game 5 was going to be.

The Toronto we've seen in the past few games is the Toronto I thought we would see all along. Can they still finish Boston off or will their slow start in this series kill their season? If Toronto wins, this would be suitable payback to forget about the epic collapse they endured back in 2013. If they lose, then the jinx of the Boston Bruins continues. 

9 hours ago, hobie said:

:ouch:

Let's get past Boston first!

I'm going to keep a close eye on the refs again and see whether they're playing favourites with the Bruins again. They've done it in games 5 and 6 for sure. Now the spotlight is on them. 

So far nobody has talked about the refs in this series other than me. Hasn't anyone else noticed that the calls are going in Boston's favour?

Example: In game 6, there was a play where the Boston player deliberately elbowed Andersen in the head (he was standing with his back to him). Andersen went down injured and a Leafs player (Polak I think) stepped in and shoved the Bruins player after the play. Polak got a damn 2 minute penalty for roughing and the Bruins player got ONLY 2 minutes for roughing back. There was NO additional penalty for the elbow to Andersen. It SHOULD have been a Toronto power play but the refs denied the Leafs of that.

Kadri got suspended for 3 games for bumping a Bruins player along the boards. Here we have an example of a player throwing a deliberate elbow to our goalie's head and.... nothing. Not even a penalty. That's BS. 

I don't understand why people think Boston would be a harder opponent for the Lightning. You shut down the Bergeron line and they have almost nothing. Hedman can shut them down. But the Leafs can roll 4 scoring lines, good luck shutting that down.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:29 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Indeed. :)

It's a coin toss now. Boston will be very hard to beat at home in game 7. That being said, some of the Leafs players who have been MIA in this series have finally woken up. The Leafs forwards are playing well, Andersen has found his game, and the team has tightened up defensively. It's a different team than the one in game 1.

The Bruins seem to be running cold, although their forecheck is ridiculously effective. It's like the Leafs are skating uphill to get the puck out of their own zone.  

This is the only series left now. I'm surprised every other series finished up so quickly. 

It's a tall order to take one on the road in a Game 7. 

:hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon: But Rask's tendency for subpar performances and 

mental miscues in possible-series-closeout games augurs well 

for Leaf chances. The most recent example being last match 

in which he lazily dished a puck into trouble, rather than holding 

onto it or ensuring he had a ready recipient, which led to a goal. 

Toronto's also looking sharper, as you've pointed out too, which 

makes this game a more difficult final game to call. Hoping it's 

a good one:excl: :check:       

2 hours ago, Kadri43 said:

I don't understand why people think Boston would be a harder opponent for the Lightning. You shut down the Bergeron line and they have almost nothing. Hedman can shut them down. But the Leafs can roll 4 scoring lines, good luck shutting that down.

I tend to agree. Though I think Boston :bruins: could pose certain forecheck and defensive 

challenges to Tampa :lightning: , I see Toronto possibly posing more problems for them given 

their offensive explosiveness that can come from many sources. I see

a post-chickens Toronto v. Tampa matchup becoming a shootout that TB takes. 

@TropicalFruitGirl26 already has a detailed post about some of that. Check it out if you 

haven't already done so! :) 

4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Matthews has been the most disappointing Leaf in this series.  I hope your pool doesn't include +/-!  :whiteflag:

Where is that Matthews four goal night when you need it?  

He needs to do something tonight to have a chance. Although, it's all Andersen at this point. Does he have one more lights out game in him?

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You call THAT long?

LOL.  :)

Well for the Leafs, the last time we had a strong offensive team (before now) was 2002.  The last time we had a true #1 goalie who was actually a good goalie (before now) was 2004. The last time we had a 6-man defensive unit that scared opposing teams was 1993. 

So basically, in Leaf-land, a hot goalie and some offence is the only way we get into the playoffs. The Leafs search for reliable, shut-down defence is like the Flyers search for a goalie. Although you did have Roman Cechmanek. He was pretty good. :ph34r:

18 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

............. the Toronto fanbase is unlike anything fans in Tampa have ever seen. If the Leafs were the opponent, you could count on those games in Tampa being 50% Leafs fans in attendance. 

Meh....I am not too worried about this....and frankly, I don't think the players are either.

The thing about sports, ANY pro sports, in Florida is, fans from the other team getting into the stadium/arena and rooting for the visitors is a normal way of life.

Florida being the retirement state and go-to type warm weather destination that  it is, will always have people who bring their allegiances from their northern teams with them.

Bolts have faced this kind of thing in the playoffs against Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Montreal.

While I acknowledge the Leaf fanbase is far and wide throughout the NHL, they won't be any different than those other teams with regards to fans of theirs in Amalie Arena.

If the Bolts win or lose it will be because they were the better team, or the other team was better.....not because X amount of Leaf or Bruins fans got into the building.

Players in Tampa know this, the coaching staff knows this, ownership knows this.  Focus will be SOLELY on the team the Bolts face on the ice.

If the Marketing Department in TB (a very good one too!) or the PR department want to try and limit opposing fans getting into the building by whatever means they deem fit, then so be it, but fact is, there will ALWAYS be opposing fans in NHL, MLB, or NFL events in the state of Florida, and that should not affect the true professional athlete.

Good thing is, and this has been shown in the past, that if the home team Lightning are on their game and taking care of business, even if there are plenty of opposing fans in the building, the Bolts fans there can generally drown them out with how loud THEY can be!

Overall, Leaf (or Bruins for that matter) fans getting into the building will be a non factor in whether the Lightning do well against their opponent.  It simply will be nothing new to them.

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Meh....I am not too worried about this....and frankly, I don't think the players are either.

Be afraid. Be very afraid!  :frantics:

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Bolts have faced this kind of thing in the playoffs against Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Montreal.

While I acknowledge the Leaf fanbase is far and wide throughout the NHL, they won't be any different than those other teams with regards to fans of theirs in Amalie Arena.

Be afraid. Be very afraid!  :haha:

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If the Marketing Department in TB (a very good one too!) or the PR department want to try and limit opposing fans getting into the building by whatever means they deem fit, then so be it

They'll be wearing blue and white. Will blend right in. You can't stop us!  mwahaha! :dancing::mapleleafs:

At any rate, puck drop between the Leafs and Bruins coming up soon.

Despite some good baseball available, I simply MUST watch this... Game 7, duh..... because I need to do some advance scouting for the Tampa Bay Lightning then have a report ready for Steve Yzerman, Jon Cooper and the rest of the Lightning staff!  :VeryCool:

The most entertaining game I've watched all year, but the ending (as usual) sucked. The Leafs once again play the role of entertaining but lovable losers who create memorable moments for other NHL teams but not themselves. FOUR unanswered goals allowed in the 3rd period. Ridiculous. It's another collapse against the Bruins. An otherwise great game with great moments (ie: the SHG) is now flushed down the toilet in 20 minutes and will be forgotten in Toronto as another bad memory. 

Game 7 - Defensive Errors

1. Rielly, Polak
  2. Gardiner
  3. Plekanec
  4. Andersen
  5. Gardiner, Andersen
  6. Marner, Kadri, Marleau
  7. (empty net)

7-4 BOS.

That's all folks.  :whiteflag:

What a game for the first 50 minutes! 

In fact the first period was its own great game! 

My favorite sequence was Andersen losing his stick, 

then making a save, then Kapanen scoring a goal 

awkward-turtle-style against Rask who defended 

awkward-turtle-style. :)

That Bergeron line's lethal! 

Didn't see the refs obviously or incompetently 

tilting the game to either team. Toronto's :mapleleafs: gotta 

be feeling this loss extra bitterly given Matthews 

producing only two points. :thinking: 

Archived