• Bruins in 7
    • Leafs Sweep 4-0
    • Leafs in 5
    • Leafs in 6
    • Leafs in 7

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The young Leafs learned a valuable lesson in this game 7 that the Bruins learned years ago vs the Flyers. The Leafs didn't match the Bruins energy in the 3rd and it cost them the game.  

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

The young Leafs learned a valuable lesson in this game 7 that the Bruins learned years ago vs the Flyers. The Leafs didn't match the Bruins energy in the 3rd and it cost them the game.  

I don't watch enough Leafs' games to know and didn't watch enough of this series.   What is Toronto still lacking?  Depth and defense?  Or still just experience?  Or all of the above?

14 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Game 7 - Defensive Errors

1. Rielly, Polak
  2. Gardiner
  3. Plekanec
  4. Andersen
  5. Gardiner, Andersen
  6. Marner, Kadri, Marleau
  7. (empty net)

You had me at Gardiner. Man he was awful. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't watch enough Leafs' games to know and didn't watch enough of this series.   What is Toronto still lacking?  Depth and defense?  Or still just experience?  Or all of the above?

Their D is worse than the Flyers'

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

You had me at Gardiner. Man he was awful. 

Terrible game by Gardiner, and he contributed nothing offensively in the series. I'm at the "turn the page" point with Gardiner.

If the Leafs want to move forward and take the next step toward winning a Cup, they need an upgrade here. Gardiner isn't good enough, and he's had multiple chances to show us something more than mediocre defensive play. He's "just a guy" and that's not good enough if you want to be more than just a top 16 NHL team. 

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Their D is worse than the Flyers'

The Leafs "D" (I use the term loosely) is basically three forwards (Rielly, Gardiner, and Zaitsev) masqarading  as defencemen and veteran guys who are mostly filler (Polak, Hainsey). There isn't a #1 guy among them. Perhaps Rielly although he provides points and not much else. 

18 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

Didn't see the refs obviously or incompetently 

tilting the game to either team. Toronto's :mapleleafs: gotta 

be feeling this loss extra bitterly given Matthews 

producing only two points. :thinking: 

I have no complaints about the refs in game 7. It was a perfect game officiating wise. No chintsy calls. No favouritism. The Leafs lost fair and square.  :(

What bothers me is HOW they lost. They had the lead going into the 3rd period of game 7. They can't close the show. This was a collapse, just like in 2013. When your guy scores a SHG, that should light a fire under your arse. The Leafs should have exploded forward from that point and buried the Bruins. They just can't finish. Call it what you will. Lack of a killer instinct. Lack of finish. Lack of mental toughness. Whatever it is, they can't win the big one and they can't hold leads. They're still a fragile team in big games. 

On 4/26/2018 at 6:43 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I have no complaints about the refs in game 7. It was a perfect game officiating wise. No chintsy calls. No favouritism. The Leafs lost fair and square.  :(

What bothers me is HOW they lost. They had the lead going into the 3rd period of game 7. They can't close the show. This was a collapse, just like in 2013. When your guy scores a SHG, that should light a fire under your arse. The Leafs should have exploded forward from that point and buried the Bruins. They just can't finish. Call it what you will. Lack of a killer instinct. Lack of finish. Lack of mental toughness. Whatever it is, they can't win the big one and they can't hold leads. They're still a fragile team in big games. 

The goaltending was horrendous.  It did you guys in. You go to the third period with the lead and you are supposed to win.  Like the Sabres, you need  better goalie. And defense. But do not worry, the league will make sure Seattle is stocked good and plenty   To screw teams with great fan base's like Toronto and Buffalo.  And let these casual fans of the game inherit a Cup capable team at our expense.  You best join me in cheering against Vegas.  They represent what bastarrds like Bettman do to this league.  I am all in for the Capitals which means they have no shot.  But I believe they will throw the kitchen sink at Pittsburgh tomorrow.  Holtby cannot let in garbage goals like the winner.  That never should have happened. Good luck tonight.  I am hoping Buffalo gets number one

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The goaltending was horrendous.  It did you guys in. You go to the third period with the lead and you are supposed to win.  Like the Sabres, you need  better goalie.

Andersen didn't have a good game no doubt, but the problem all year long has been the defence. 

I've been saying they need an upgrade defensively for years now. At the trade deadline I said they should have acquired a defenceman. There were a few big names available. Instead, the Leafs grabbed Plekanec (a bottom six forward) while Boston and Tampa loaded up with stars. 

16 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Andersen didn't have a good game no doubt, but the problem all year long has been the defence. 

I've been saying they need an upgrade defensively for years now. At the trade deadline I said they should have acquired a defenceman. There were a few big names available. Instead, the Leafs grabbed Plekanec (a bottom six forward) while Boston and Tampa loaded up with stars. 

And unlike my Sabres you guys are in a big market.  I want that number one pick tonight and I have a good feeling we are going to land it.  So this kid on D is what all the fuss is.  Are there any studs available up front?  Forwards?

For those that were wondering, I keyed in the complete defensive errors stats for the series. Here you go:

destats.png

We can analyze the smouldering wreckage that was this series.  

Players are sorted by defensive percentage. This stat takes into consideration time on ice. The most horrendous player in this series defensively was Jake Gardiner. Auston Matthews on the other hand, wasn't as bad as his +/- indicated. Toronto's best overall player was Mitch Marner.  Andersen gave up an average of 1 defensive error per game. 

IMHO WOW, I think the series was really lost in game 4 in TO. A game that would have been cake to win - easily Boston's worst game of the series. It was a gift from us to them. 

Here's hoping some moves are made in the off-season to improve our team, although I have no suggestions on what those moves might be. Should they keep Lou? Big decision for Shanny.

Archived