Aston-Reese / Sheahan / Kuhnhackl

(Jooris & Simon)

Letang / Dumoulin

Schultz / Maatta

Ruhwedel / Oleksiak

(Hunwick)

Murray

(DeSmith)

All four lines played great in game 1.   Loads of speed up and down the lineup.  Same lines will show up for game 2.

Philly looked a little befuddled by the whole thing.  Maybe a lot of young guys just not ready for "Playoffs".  I don't expect that again. 

2 hours ago, nossagog said:

All four lines played great in game 1.   Loads of speed up and down the lineup.  Same lines will show up for game 2.

Philly looked a little befuddled by the whole thing.  Maybe a lot of young guys just not ready for "Playoffs".  I don't expect that again. 

That was about as complete a win as I've seen.  The effort by the D was there. Secondary scoring with Rust and Hagelin.  Guentzel seems to have picked up where he left off last year. Murray made a few big saves early when needed and pretty much cruised the rest of the way. If you want to nitpick, the PP was sloppy for the most part and still went 1 for 4.

HOWEVER....

This is where the Pens typically falter and make things interesting. It's actually must win for them. You go for the jugular. Don't let Philly back in this. They have a knack of not being able to follow up games like this with a comparable performance. They just need to win. It doesn't have to be 7-0 again.  Philly will be out to prove Game 1 was a fluke. I think this could be one of those games decided in the first 10 minutes. They can expect everything and the kitchen sink. If it's 0-0 after 10-15 minutes or (please) 1-0 or 2-0 Pens? Game over.

Don't really see any changes after game 2, unless Letang has any late repercussions from the Giroux hit.   Was surprised with the concussion issues he's had that he got up from that.

Something has to be done on the power play though, way too predictable and too much perimeter work.   Still looking for that perfect pass and passing up a lot of chances to shoot and grind.

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Don't really see any changes after game 2, unless Letang has any late repercussions from the Giroux hit.   Was surprised with the concussion issues he's had that he got up from that.

Something has to be done on the power play though, way too predictable and too much perimeter work.   Still looking for that perfect pass and passing up a lot of chances to shoot and grind.

So did Letang cut his hand there or what? I couldn't see how but that's what they were saying.

I doubt Philly gets as lucky with the blown chances Crosby had a second time.

42 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

So did Letang cut his hand there or what? I couldn't see how but that's what they were saying.

I doubt Philly gets as lucky with the blown chances Crosby had a second time.

They didn't show much, announcers saw blood on hand, could have been from anywhere.   I thought at first it was blood from his face when he got up. But who know with the secrecy of NHL injuries.

They're calling it Crosby's reverse hat trick in one of the Pitts papers.   Three golden chances, one great save and two complete misses.

11 minutes ago, nossagog said:

They didn't show much, announcers saw blood on hand, could have been from anywhere.   I thought at first it was blood from his face when he got up. But who know with the secrecy of NHL injuries.

Nothing obvious anyway.

38 minutes ago, nossagog said:

They're calling it Crosby's reverse hat trick in one of the Pitts papers.   Three golden chances, one great save and two complete misses.

I only saw the replay once (I really hate the coverage I'm getting so far, in the first game they didn't show Laughtons whiff/Murrays save for about 15 minutes) and it looked like Giroux got hit and Letang happened to be skating by as he went into him. I saw nothing that could cut him.

It was a nice save by Elliot. But ya, Crosby would score at least TWO of those 101 times out of 100.

Archived