Hakstol experiment over

trevluk

So who is on the short list of possible coaches for the Flyers? Hakstol seems like a nice guy and obviously did well coaching college kids but he has been in over his head since day 1 in the NHL and he still has that deer in the head lights look on his face 3 years later. He couldn't even get his team ready for a playoff game against their arch rival and delivered a pathetic embarassment for the city of Philadelphia. Experiment over in my opinion. Any chance Quenneville's days in Chicago are over?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, trevluk said:

So who is on the short list of possible coaches for the Flyers? Hakstol seems like a nice guy and obviously did well coaching college kids but he has been in over his head since day 1 in the NHL and he still has that deer in the head lights look on his face 3 years later. He couldn't even get his team ready for a playoff game against their arch rival and delivered a pathetic embarassment for the city of Philadelphia. Experiment over in my opinion. Any chance Quenneville's days in Chicago are over?

No, Chicago already announced he will be back next season. 

Hextall is too proud or stubborn to fire Hakstol. I think the best we can hope for is a change in assistants by removing Lappy, Murphy and whoever the hell the goalie coach is these days.

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Hextall is too proud or stubborn to fire Hakstol. I think the best we can hope for is a change in assistants by removing Lappy, Murphy and whoever the hell the goalie coach is these days.

We need a new reaction option. I don't actually 'like' this statement, but I do think it's 100% correct.

He's clearly not going anywhere for 2018-19, but I do hope Hexy wakes up next season and starts changing his tune. That is unless Hakstol shows some improvement. And you're right in that a change in assistant coaching staff may go a long way. I can understand keeping Hakstol for another year, but I will have a harder time understanding the situation if his entourage remains the same to start next season. The PP has been inconsistent, and the PK has been a hot mess. Moreover, Hakstol needs someone who can help him make in-game choices. Period. He needs someone with experience and a back bone, which he clearly isn't getting from this crew.

Whether that would even be enough, I don't know, but I really hope Hexy realizes changes are in order. Let's not waste efforts like what we've seen from Giroux this year. That's not going to happen every year, or maybe ever again.

I've been up and down on certain players this season as well as the past few seasons.  One thing I've been consistent with in that time though, has been the coach.  I think he's a putts. 

He didn't lose that game for them last night, but he is the main reason they lost 0-7. The only way I thought it would be possible for them to get back in the series was to come out in the third with the better team and score a goal or two.  Instead, they came out with the same lame effort they had in the first 2 periods and Pittsburgh put two more on them.

It also seemed like he was double shifting guys like gudas, manning, read, and lehtera.  I swear they were out there the entire game.  Also, is it me or did the flyers get much worse defensively when Haag disappeared from the lineup?  He's injured right?  He has to be injured.  I mean, there's no way someone that knows the slightest bit about hockey would keep Haag out while manning, gudas, and Macdonald make up half of your defense.

Filppula seemed like he was on the ice forever too. When Laughton double clutched his chance in the 1st, I knew that was the game. It wasn't their night and sh!t happens. Let's see how they respond tomorrow before we jump ship. 

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hak should have pulled Elliott after it was 3-0.

3 goals on 10 shots is all you need to see.

Wake the team up.

Maybe Hak was the one sleep.

This I 100% agree with, I'd also like to see TK back on the top line

8 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

This I 100% agree with, I'd also like to see TK back on the top line

Yeah I would reunite the line we seen earlier in the year that was so good.

Leier Laughton Raffl on the 4th.

Sit Letera's slow ass.

Giroux Coots TK

Lindy Patty Jake

Read Fil Simmer

Leier Laughton Raffl

Go with this.

It's not just Lehterable that's slow, the team was beat top to bottom on speed and, for that matter, compete level.

The Pens look like a team shooting for a third Cup and the Flyers looked like a team that missed the playoffs last year and got in on the last day this season.

Has anyone seen our Top 10 points guys and the Hart candidate?

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's not just Lehterable that's slow, the team was beat top to bottom on speed and, for that matter, compete level.

The Pens look like a team shooting for a third Cup and the Flyers looked like a team that missed the playoffs last year and got in on the last day this season.

Has anyone seen our Top 10 points guys and the Hart candidate?

Found them.

bondi beach 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hak should have pulled Elliott after it was 3-0.

3 goals on 10 shots is all you need to see.

Wake the team up.

Maybe Hak was the one sleep.

Elliot shouldn't even be playing period. He had serious back surgery and they have rushed him back 

Well, no changes for game 2.  So I am expecting a replay of game 1.  You are sitting Weal who had 4 points against the freaking Pens during the season.  This coach is an absolute idiot.

4 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

Well, no changes for game 2.  So I am expecting a replay of game 1.  You are sitting Weal who had 4 points against the freaking Pens during the season.  This coach is an absolute idiot.

I don't agree with that.  Weal sucks.

21 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

Weal is not an NHL player.  You have got to be related to him because no one besides family could possibly be calling for that guy to be in the lineup.  Even when the option is Lehtera, Weal stays in the press box {or the AHL where he belongs). 

Weal may not be the answer but 11, 14. 28 is.

Move Raffl to the 3rd, with Fil and Simmer, he'll at least help Fil hang on to the puck.

12 isn't a top line player, 11 is, and there isn't an answer in the league for 28 and 11 on the ice at the same time.

If this change doesn't happen...then yes, let us burn Dave Hakstol in effigy and all sort of other philly fan typical behavior

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Weal may not be the answer but 11, 14. 28 is.

Move Raffl to the 3rd, with Fil and Simmer, he'll at least help Fil hang on to the puck.

12 isn't a top line player, 11 is, and there isn't an answer in the league for 28 and 11 on the ice at the same time.

If this change doesn't happen...then yes, let us burn Dave Hakstol in effigy and all sort of other philly fan typical behavior

Yeah, this.  You've got to put TK back on the top line.   He still does some young, dumb, things that will hopefully improve with age, but at least give Pittsburgh something to think about.   

Weal doesn't inspire a second thought.   We didn't spend much to give him a try, but I think he's proven what some of us thought of him to begin with.

7 hours ago, Bertmega said:

Filppula seemed like he was on the ice forever too. When Laughton double clutched his chance in the 1st, I knew that was the game. It wasn't their night and sh!t happens. Let's see how they respond tomorrow before we jump ship. 

Agreed 100%. I'd honestly rather have them lose 7-0 than 4-3 in OT after having a 3-1 lead, which is soul destroying and emotionally draining. It really was the best thing to happen (other than a win, of course).

It's one game, big deal. Did folks think we were gonna sweep the Pens?!

3 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Elliot shouldn't even be playing period. He had serious back surgery and they have rushed him back 

I though it was hip or hips?

But I guess the hips are connected to the back.

Somehow.

36 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I though it was hip or hips?

But I guess the hips are connected to the back.

Somehow.

All I've ever heard is "core muscles."    I never heard anything more specific, but that doesn't mean it wasn't out there.   I don't "think" that includes hips but it does include a wide range of muscles (including pelvic floor muscles) so I suppose that's possible.   

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

All I've ever heard is "core muscles."    I never heard anything more specific, but that doesn't mean it wasn't out there.   I don't "think" that includes hips but it does include a wide range of muscles (including pelvic floor muscles) so I suppose that's possible.   

Well whatever was wrong with him, they do not appear to have fixed him. He looks weak blocker side in particular, but I imagine the Pens had a hard time deciding which weak spot to shoot for.

Archived