Hakstol experiment over

trevluk

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The Penguins lost 10-1 to Chicago just this October. It didn't make them heartless. It didn't even make them a lesser team than Chicago. It meant they had a horrible night. 

No NHL team wants a 7-0 or 10-1 game against. These are men with adult egos.  They had a bad game. In the Flyers case, they may have had a circumstance they legitimately weren't ready for and were out of the game before they could even possibly stabilize. Every mistake was in their net. 

That's not heartless. It's a bad game. This is a team that most didn't legitimately expect to make the playoffs. No one on a national level had them even as a wild card. They finished third (keep in mind some of these "experts" had Dallas winning the Cup and many had Montreal finishing second in the Atlantic, so with a grain!).  

This heartless team is actually a year ahead of schedule and with utterly crap goaltending.  Management probably didn't expect playoff goaltending to even be relevant this year. 

This heartless team overcame an ugly 10 game skid to be within three points of having a better record than all but Washington in the Metropolitan division. And finished third. Heartless team, this bunch. 

The heartless captain moved from the position he's played since his rookie year without bitching and went on to have his best season. Heartless is that guy. 

Simmonds played the majority of the season hurt without bitching and stuck on the third line. Heartless. 

I don't know. I don't think I understand the meaning of heartless being applied to this team. 

I also don't understand the "sky is falling" stuff going on regarding a team a year ahead of schedule where the plan is clearly working but a still not fully-cooked team has drawn the two-time defending champ still chugging on all cylanders. 

Heartless is not a word I'd use here. 

I'm welling up here rux...well said!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ruxpin said:

also don't understand the "sky is falling" stuff going on regarding a team a year ahead of schedule where the plan is clearly working but a still not fully-cooked team has drawn the two-time defending champ still chugging on all cylanders. 

It would be a more apt description for NJ and CBJ who, in essence, may have thrown a game because they didn’t have the balls to face the Pens.

Maybe not heartless, but gutless. 

Speaking of experiment watching Nikita Zadorov play is a great reason why i do not want to give up on Sam Morin at his young age.

He is a difference maker for the Avs with his size and long reach.

Sabre's could use him on their blueline.

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

weird.  why didn't that embed.  odd

anyway here is the quote from Hakstol. 

"  I don't think it says anything inside our dressing room.  I think we expected it.  It was pretty tough for us to walk out of the rink the other night.  That wasn't us.  In terms of what it says outside our dressing room, I don't know if our guys really care.  I said it coming in, nobody's really giving us a serious chance to win this series.  I don't know if anyone still will.  But I know this: we just got it down to a five-game series and we introduced ourselves into this series tonight."

#underdogs  

>>Bad goaltending on that 5th Penguin goal.

That's only a part of the problem.... I'd say the small part.    G has been invisible .... the Pens are diving at every chance they can and getting the calls.  Some obvious calls that weren't made against the Pens... all that will get a team down if they are not mentally tough and this team isn't.   I think that's a big reflection on the coach.... all these calls are made against us and not against the Pens and he just stands there like a statue.

On 4/13/2018 at 7:07 PM, ruxpin said:

The Penguins lost 10-1 to Chicago just this October. It didn't make them heartless. It didn't even make them a lesser team than Chicago. It meant they had a horrible night. 

No NHL team wants a 7-0 or 10-1 game against. These are men with adult egos.  They had a bad game. In the Flyers case, they may have had a circumstance they legitimately weren't ready for and were out of the game before they could even possibly stabilize. Every mistake was in their net. 

That's not heartless. It's a bad game. This is a team that most didn't legitimately expect to make the playoffs. No one on a national level had them even as a wild card. They finished third (keep in mind some of these "experts" had Dallas winning the Cup and many had Montreal finishing second in the Atlantic, so with a grain!).  

This heartless team is actually a year ahead of schedule and with utterly crap goaltending.  Management probably didn't expect playoff goaltending to even be relevant this year. 

This heartless team overcame an ugly 10 game skid to be within three points of having a better record than all but Washington in the Metropolitan division. And finished third. Heartless team, this bunch. 

The heartless captain moved from the position he's played since his rookie year without bitching and went on to have his best season. Heartless is that guy. 

Simmonds played the majority of the season hurt without bitching and stuck on the third line. Heartless. 

I don't know. I don't think I understand the meaning of heartless being applied to this team. 

I also don't understand the "sky is falling" stuff going on regarding a team a year ahead of schedule where the plan is clearly working but a still not fully-cooked team has drawn the two-time defending champ still chugging on all cylanders. 

great post rux!!

robin williams oscars GIF

On 4/12/2018 at 7:18 PM, FD19372 said:

Hakstol clearly doesn't understand matchups, nor in-game adjustments. I know I half seriously talk about bringing in Keenan, but Darryl Sutter is still unemployed also.

Don't forget Blysma! LOL! 

Awesome. More valuable playoff humiliation. All part of the master plan. Everybody gets a ribbon. we all played nice with others. No homework. no name calling. No hitting. We even had a nice nap. And a nice healthy snack I'm sure. Whoever thinks making the playoffs benefits this team going forward is an idiot.

9 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Awesome. More valuable playoff humiliation. All part of the master plan. Everybody gets a ribbon. we all played nice with others. No homework. no name calling. No hitting. We even had a nice nap. And a nice healthy snack I'm sure. Whoever thinks making the playoffs benefits this team going forward is an idiot.

Well look at it this way the Flyers aren't the first team to be eliminated from the playoffs, that title belongs to the two time Stanley Cup champions, Los Angeles Kings who scored a grand total of 3 goals in their series and got eliminated by an expansion team who beat them 4 straight, talk about playoff humiliation! Ask the majority of Flyers fans if they thought the Flyers would make the playoffs this year the answer would be no. They drew the defending Stanley Cup champs, our arch-rivals, the Pens who we have owned since we both came into the league in 1967 but haven't since they drafted Sydney Crosby. Let's keep things in perspective, if we had Marc Andre Fleury type goaltending  (I can't believe I typed that about an ex-Pen) instead of Elliot-type goaltending then the rest of the Flyers would have played with more confidence and the series would have been different, but the Flyers didn't so **** happens. Despite what you think, down the road this experience will be beneficial to the young Flyers. 

Archived